Ethiopian names / amharic meaning

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rob

Dalton, GA

#1 Jun 14, 2008
We are in process of adopting a sibling group from Ethiopia and need help in pronouncing their names and determining if names have a specific meaning from their culture.

Kalkidan

Leyusew

Lulseged

“changing times”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#2 Jun 14, 2008
Rob wrote:
We are in process of adopting a sibling group from Ethiopia and need help in pronouncing their names and determining if names have a specific meaning from their culture.
Kalkidan
Leyusew
Lulseged
i dont know how to wright pronouncation but i can help u with the meaning

kalkidan is promise
leyusew is unique,different
lulseged is king
kalkidan

UAE

#3 Jul 16, 2008
Kalkidan means Covenant,

Leyusew means Unique,

but i don't know the exact meaning of Leulseged,but it is related to prince.
BROOKE

Chicago, IL

#4 Aug 22, 2008
Rob wrote:
Kalkidan
Leyusew
Lulseged
this is how u pronounce it

KAL-KEE-DON
LAY-YOU-SEUW
LU-OOL-SEH-GED
agazi

Ashburn, VA

#5 Aug 22, 2008
ayee
Tibtaba amharas
eyob

UAE

#6 Feb 15, 2009
i thinke this is the meaning

kalkidan---promise
Leyusew----diffrent from another
Leulseged----king
eyob

UAE

#7 Feb 15, 2009
abu dhabi
Leenda

Renton, WA

#8 Dec 18, 2009
Can anyone tell me what the name "Genanaw" means?
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Dec 18, 2009
Leenda wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the name "Genanaw" means?
For male..........It is a very unique and a very an usual name. Undoubtedly an an Amhara name. Hence it is that since these people's religion of 1700 years does manifest and come to play in every fact of their life, it is also true in naming of a child.

Invariably , name are given to a child in such a way that it will rhyme with the father's name to give a complete and the intent of naming a child in the first place. After all naming and selecting a name is very important in every traditional or otherwise of a society. In this case, the literal meaning of GENE-NEW" a future continuous tense, meaning 'NOT YET COMPLETED". The parents of this child are expecting a miracle, which will be completed to be a better person in his station in life, either materially or spiritually, which will be fulfilled as it been told in the Old Testament that was completed in the New Testament.

I hope it will help you in understanding the essence of what hope and wishes of his parent was. Or you can give an American name, since he is going to be one among the many blacks such as Leroy or Baba, since forever his is uprooted from environment, despite all the condition of my country
Bure Damot

Palo Alto, CA

#10 Dec 18, 2009
getu wrote:
<quoted text>
For male..........It is a very unique and a very an usual name. Undoubtedly an an Amhara name. Hence it is that since these people's religion of 1700 years does manifest and come to play in every fact of their life, it is also true in naming of a child.
Invariably , name are given to a child in such a way that it will rhyme with the father's name to give a complete and the intent of naming a child in the first place. After all naming and selecting a name is very important in every traditional or otherwise of a society. In this case, the literal meaning of GENE-NEW" a future continuous tense, meaning 'NOT YET COMPLETED". The parents of this child are expecting a miracle, which will be completed to be a better person in his station in life, either materially or spiritually, which will be fulfilled as it been told in the Old Testament that was completed in the New Testament.
I hope it will help you in understanding the essence of what hope and wishes of his parent was. Or you can give an American name, since he is going to be one among the many blacks such as Leroy or Baba, since forever his is uprooted from environment, despite all the condition of my country
Getish it's typical gojjames name meaning ' popular"
akakizeraf

Alexandria, VA

#11 Dec 18, 2009
getu,GENANAW is an amhara name which means popular.You read it as GENENEW
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 18, 2009
akakizeraf wrote:
getu,GENANAW is an amhara name which means popular.You read it as GENENEW
But the individual who won the bidding to get the child and has impoted him spelled it as GENANEW, NOT Gnenew, which you so right of being a Gojjie name
Bure Damot

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Dec 19, 2009
getu wrote:
<quoted text>
But the individual who won the bidding to get the child and has impoted him spelled it as GENANEW, NOT Gnenew, which you so right of being a Gojjie name
Genanew means Not Yet,
akakizeraf

Alexandria, VA

#14 Dec 19, 2009
Its not GE-NA-NEW its GE-NA-NAW
Leenda

Renton, WA

#15 Dec 21, 2009
Genanaw is the name of my close friend that lost his parents at a very young age. He lives in Ethiopia. I was interested in learning the meaning of his name- thank you all who replied!
Leenda

Renton, WA

#16 Dec 21, 2009
Can anyone tell me if it is very difficult process for Ethiopian to come to US on student visa? Do they need to speak/read/write English proficiently? I have heard some students come here to learn English- is that correct?
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Dec 21, 2009
Leenda wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it is very difficult process for Ethiopian to come to US on student visa? Do they need to speak/read/write English proficiently? I have heard some students come here to learn English- is that correct?
It all depends on the age of the person. However, with the help of your congress person and senator, you can be possible to accomplish it. In addition a letter from your church will always help. All these are done after you have applied as sponsor to the immigration office. Since you are going to be a sponsor of the individual, sometimes in the future, you will be asked top provide an affidavit of support showing your copies of the three years back taxes forms you filled out with IRS, which you will be asked by the Immigration office.

I have done it and it takes time and committeemen. It is not for those light hearted people.

At any rate, you need to go to one of those places where they help out immigrant in adjusting over here in various ways, such as English as a second language . They will provide you with the necessary guideline and help. Other wise, you need to go line of the immigration site and you can download the necessary forms.

Good luck
Leenda

Renton, WA

#18 Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for the information, Getu. I think my next step is to speak with student counselor. Hopefully we can get some guidance there. Do you know if there are immigration/student counselors available in Addis Ababa for individuals that need information?
getu

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Dec 21, 2009
Leenda wrote:
Thanks for the information, Getu. I think my next step is to speak with student counselor. Hopefully we can get some guidance there. Do you know if there are immigration/student counselors available in Addis Ababa for individuals that need information?
I think you are expecting too much from a developing nations, having the resources to set up as such. So, do not even entertain the idea.

I think, you should go to either at Universities of Washington at Spokane or University of Seattle. I am sure, since I know that they have an office dealing with foreign students, by the mere fact of the student body and my relative having graduated with PhD from Spokane, I am sure they have wealth of information or they know how and where.

Now, a piece of advice. Time is 9/11, understanding of all the facts of the situation what this country went through. You have to understand, when the immigration people ask you or the person you want to sponsor ask questions. One fact is that need not a factor of not telling the truth, you and the person you want to sponsor must be on the same page.

Do ask me if you need. Peace

Leenda

Renton, WA

#22 Dec 23, 2009
So it looks like most of the research should be done by me, here, and not expect my friend to have as much information or support in ET. I will keep that in mind. He is young (19) and does not have the support of family in ET so we are attempting by God's grace to get all the guidance and direction we need to help him through this. Sounds like we need great strength of heart to pursue this adventure! Thank you for your help Getu! I am sure I will be back with more questions for you:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oromo people are NOT habesha (Mar '13) 1 hr zik 77
Can you please recommend Ethiopian movies? 1 hr Walelign 30
United Horn Of Africa 2 hr Somali_Tycoon 30
how come ethiopian men and woman do not like ea... (Aug '12) 16 hr Somara highsmith 104
Would you marry a hooker? 22 hr Walelign 3
The True History of Oromo People in Ethiopia, O... Thu African 3
Psychopath go on African wildlife safari Thu Walelign 1
More from around the web