MEANING of Ethiopian NAME

Posted in the Ethiopia Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Casey Solgos

Aurora, IL

#1 Feb 28, 2007
While searching for a site that includes translations for Ethiopian names, I came across a number of entries here. Names are very important in our family; both of our natural-born children have significant names.
My wife and I are planning to adopt a little girl from Ethiopia; she is from the Kembata region.
Her name is Haile Sitota.
Does anyone know the meaning of her first and/or last name? Can anyone help us know how to pronounce it?
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if the tradition of name-giving in Ethiopia is similar to ours? How are "surnames" or "last" names given (i.e. what significance does the "Sitota" part of her name carry in relation to the first part?) Are children given specific names with specific meanings for a specific purpose?
We would really appreciate and enjoy any information you can give us. Thank you!
Yordanos

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 1, 2007
Well are you sure her name is haile?because thats a boy name. I can just help with you with the part on how names are given.Surnames are given by their fathers first name.First names are just given theirs no special tie between that.

Since: Feb 07

Glendale, CA

#3 Mar 21, 2007
Hello Casey,
there is a more active chat on Ethiopian names at the following link I hope it's helpful:
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/ethiopia/THB...
Casey Solgos wrote:
While searching for a site that includes translations for Ethiopian names, I came across a number of entries here. Names are very important in our family; both of our natural-born children have significant names.
My wife and I are planning to adopt a little girl from Ethiopia; she is from the Kembata region.
Does anyone know the meaning of her first and/or last name? Can anyone help us know how to pronounce it?
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if the tradition of name-giving in Ethiopia is similar to ours? How are "surnames" or "last" names given (i.e. what significance does the "Sitota" part of her name carry in relation to the first part?) Are children given specific names with specific meanings for a specific purpose?
We would really appreciate and enjoy any information you can give us. Thank you!
Sitota

Lindstrom, MN

#4 Apr 25, 2007
This is the name of a little girl from Ethiopia that we are sponsoring. How do you pronounce it and what is the meaning of the name
Haile

UK

#5 Apr 26, 2007
Hello Casey, as you see my name is Haile. It is a name given to men's. I think you must remember Ethiopian emperor king Haile-Silase. And the famous long distance runner Haile Gebresilasie. Haile is a common name means 'MY POWER' with possessive marker derived from a noun 'hail' means power.
Your daughter name must then be 'Sitota' means 'GIFT'. The thing which confuses you is your [western] way of naming people by their surnames. When it came to Ethiopian traditional naming it ended up in giving male's names to females. But don't worry call her 'SITOTA' that is that is he name 'gift'.
You know her parents considered her as a 'gift' from God who created them. And so accept her as special 'gift' given to you to care for her.
Thank you for the question, all the best. Please take special care for 'Sitota'. By the way 'sitota' can also be used as a male name. But she is 'SITOTA''GIFT'.
All the best.
Haile
Haile

UK

#6 Apr 26, 2007
Dear Casey
Your other questions are also important. But why her parents call her 'Sitota' which means GIFT, is known only by them. I suppose they are believers of God. Most believers give this name for their children as a sign of their God's graciousness, or if you like as memory of His lovingkindness.
I think this is the reason why they call her 'sitota'. I mentioned earlier that men also cna be called sitota, but it must be again supplied with suffix 'w' so it would be marked by male marker and sould be 'sitotaw'.
Are you helped by all these?
God bless you.
Sitotaw

Bangor, UK

#7 May 15, 2007
I'm a 'Matthew'-'Gift of God' is the UK (from hebrew) meaning - and in Ethiopian it's Sitotaw pronouned STOT - AW (STOT AS IN STOTIE AND AW AS IN PAIN!)
daryl maurce hardy

Tempe, AZ

#8 Sep 16, 2007
my great grandfather came frome addiss ababa he met my great grandmother in england the problem is i have no idea what his last name is please me. my father was born in jamaica in kingston at saint mary
we go by the last name hardy which i don,t believe is my family real last name. my father name is Zephiniah A. Hardy
daryl maurce hardy

Tempe, AZ

#9 Sep 16, 2007
[email protected] please help me with this. again my father name is Zephiniah A. Hardy.
Robin

United States

#10 Sep 22, 2007
My daughter and son-in-law are adopting a little Ethiopian boy who has been given the name of "Behedulu". We have heard conflicting stories of the meaning of this name -- most recently we have been told that it is not a very complimentary or positive name. If so, it is not a name that they would want to continue to use when they get him. Can anyone tell me the meaning? His biological mother is from the Addis Abbaba area. Thank you.
Aleemarie

Charleston, WV

#12 May 19, 2008
Hi,
I do not know what your little girl's name means but I do know a little about how names are given in Ethiopia. From what I have been told by my Ethiopian friends is that, The child is given a first name much like we do here in America based on the parent's preference and the name's meaning. None of the ethiopians I have met have a middle name. The last name is the child's father's first name. For Example: The child of John Doe could be named Eric John. And that child's child could be named Steve Eric. etc...

Sometimes ethiopians who come to America have 3 names on their papers. It seems to be a common occurence with the immigration dept. I assume immigration looks at fathers name and just adds it on. But the child's birth certificate usually only has 2 names. The person ends up with their grandfather's name as their last name and their father's name as their middle name. So using the example above the persons name may appear as "Steve Eric-John" instead of "Steve Eric"

Hope this helps :)
Casey Solgos wrote:
Mary

AOL

#13 Jun 12, 2008
I have teo nephews adopted from Ethiopia. Neither had any schooling there, so they have no idea what their names mean. WE'd love to know. One is Ayelr, the other is Esubalew. Anyone know the meanings? I'd appreciate any help.
Samson

Bronx, NY

#14 Jun 12, 2008
Ayler? you sure about the spelling?

Esubalew means esu=him balew= as he says. As he wishs, as he wants, as he says...thats what it means.
yonas

Ethiopia

#15 Jul 5, 2008
daryl maurce hardy wrote:
my great grandfather came frome addiss ababa he met my great grandmother in england the problem is i have no idea what his last name is please me. my father was born in jamaica in kingston at saint mary
we go by the last name hardy which i don,t believe is my family real last name. my father name is Zephiniah A. Hardy
Hi I'm yonas ammanuel from Ethiopia.
The problem you have with the names is because of the complicated naming you use. In Ethiopia, a child is given a name and is called by that name formally and informally. Of course you can call him by his nickname to be more friendly. The full name of an Ethiopian is:
[given name][father's name][grandfather's name][name of father of grandfather]...'Adam'
Most commonly, you use only the first three, up to grandfather[male]
Some say people in Ethiopia don't have a family name or middle name. But their problem is that they consider Ethiopian naming similar to westerner's way. These names are part of westerner's way of naming, not Ethiopian. So you don have to try to suit the name of an Ethiopian to westerner's way of naming. We have our own way of naming, which is very easy and specific, period. If you want to call an Ethiopian, use his name which is his given name.
Traditions for Girls

San Mateo, CA

#16 Jul 11, 2008
Hello,

I would like to maintain some Ethiopian traditions for my daughter who was born in Adama, Ethiopia. If anyone knows of positive traditions or can recommend a good book or website, that would be appreciated.
Masi

Utrecht, Netherlands

#17 Jul 14, 2008
Can any one tell me what Rakeb means?
thomas haywood

Oak Ridge, NC

#18 Aug 3, 2008
I need the meanings to three names please if anyone has them and i believe they are all of african descent- and they are Iman, Imarika and Imari. thanks guys
Sozit

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Aug 5, 2008
To TfG: Some girls' names are Tchaltu (that might be hard to pronounce), Iftu, Bontu... I can't think of any more. My family is from the Harar region, so I can't really help much with Oromo, but I hope it helps. A pretty Amharic name is Ayana, which means 'beautiful flower'. Believe me, I was born here, and I've had my name butchered for years, so a name that's easy to pronounce from the spelling is a blessing. Just so you know, though, the accent's soft, but on the first syllable.

Iman is actually from Arabic; it means belief. I've never heard of Imari or Imarika, but I think the latter is based on the former, and I think Imari is based on Imani which is based on Iman. I might be wrong.
Sozit

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Aug 5, 2008
Oh, and on naming practices, yes, most families go back by the male line, but some families also have some sort of clan name. I don't really understand it, but my dad's side of the family all use one name, and my mom's has one, though they all use their own fathers' names.
Solomon Telahun Ketsela

Rockville, MD

#21 Aug 20, 2008
Naming is a big deal in Ethiopia if any one of you conversing in this web are serious about the subject I will give you best recommendation. There is a book edited by Ivo Strecker and Jean Lydall. The Pearl of Face in that book there is an article written by best known Ethiopian linguist Professor Baye Yimam,“Personal names and identity formation. A cross – cultural perspective” pp 37 – 69
I am Solomon named with a strong wish by my parents that I become wise as King Solomon the son of King David. this shows both their religion and their wish to me. My father’s name is Telahun (some spell it Tilahun) but I believe the “Te” gives the Amharic explosive more. The meaning is “ Be a shadow/ a shelter/ umbrella / a cover/ a protector/. Although this name is Amhara’s name, the Oromo’s also have the equivalent “Gaddisaa” which I believe have the same meaning as given above. Any conversation on this regard?
Solomon Telahun Ketsela/ Harrisonburg VA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ethiopia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US $118, shocking salary of jr Ethiopian Diplomat Sun Dama 3
A disturbing trend: Ethio gov went 100% Amharic Sun Dama 3
Do full ethiopians respect and accept half Ethi... Feb 6 saba 13
Ethiopia vs Egypt (Who would win?) (Dec '08) Feb 5 Zewdi 3,606
Ethiopians are NOT Black!!!!! (Feb '12) Feb 5 luckie supreme 2,585
i love ethiopia man (Feb '13) Feb 3 Konjo 181
Somaliland monkeys begging God for rainfall Jan 31 GreaterEthiopia 1
More from around the web