Tahrir Square is safe for Americans (and everyone)

Posted in the Egypt Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
MENAgirl

Cairo, Egypt

#1 Sep 17, 2012
So, two days in a row in Tahrir, at the main govt. building in Egypt and I have good news.

First of all, it is very safe. No issues, I had to wave my US passport in front of dozens of people and everyone was kind and friendly. I actually got more kindness today than usual. Its a busy, crowded, overheated space, but in spite of it, manners were nice, no one shoved in front, it was all good. Traffic in the square was moving along nicely (and has since soon after Mursi took over.

Secondly, and significant-the area is clean-in front of the building, where it used to be totally trashed (during SCAF's reign a lot was really let 'go') was pristinely clean. They had the sidewalk vendors cleared out, they are fixing sidewalks and making them safe and easy to transit. I can really tell they are trying to get the place cleared up. I have noticed this in a vague kind of way in different areas, but Tahrir, in front of Mogammaa(the govt building) was a real eyesore and pit. It looks like the are getting ready to reseed for the season or lay sod. I am exited about the clean up they are doing.

Third. Lines shorter at the building. More employees working. It was a busy morning since last week was deserted, but everyone was working well together.

Fourth, they are actually checking bags more effectively-so that I feel like they would catch me if I was bringing in weapons. Last time I figured someone could bring a nuclear warhead in and no one would take any note. I remember I had a kindle, two phones, a book (in case) a charger(in case), wallet, passport wallet, 2 bottles of water and snacks in my bag last time. She glanced in, saw a bunch of wires and electronics and waved me on. I was aghast! Anyway, I appreciated the poking around a bit. I am used to more effective security if they are going to play at having security at all.

In a nutshell, Egypt is a work in progress but I think traveling in Cairo is safe. And Alex is a beautiful city that you should all see. Much cleaner and on the MED! the air is sticky with salt and its beautiful.
Lena

Canberra, Australia

#2 Sep 17, 2012
MENAgirl wrote:
So, two days in a row in Tahrir, at the main govt. building in Egypt and I have good news.
First of all, it is very safe. No issues, I had to wave my US passport in front of dozens of people and everyone was kind and friendly. I actually got more kindness today than usual. Its a busy, crowded, overheated space, but in spite of it, manners were nice, no one shoved in front, it was all good. Traffic in the square was moving along nicely (and has since soon after Mursi took over.
Secondly, and significant-the area is clean-in front of the building, where it used to be totally trashed (during SCAF's reign a lot was really let 'go') was pristinely clean. They had the sidewalk vendors cleared out, they are fixing sidewalks and making them safe and easy to transit. I can really tell they are trying to get the place cleared up. I have noticed this in a vague kind of way in different areas, but Tahrir, in front of Mogammaa(the govt building) was a real eyesore and pit. It looks like the are getting ready to reseed for the season or lay sod. I am exited about the clean up they are doing.
Third. Lines shorter at the building. More employees working. It was a busy morning since last week was deserted, but everyone was working well together.
Fourth, they are actually checking bags more effectively-so that I feel like they would catch me if I was bringing in weapons. Last time I figured someone could bring a nuclear warhead in and no one would take any note. I remember I had a kindle, two phones, a book (in case) a charger(in case), wallet, passport wallet, 2 bottles of water and snacks in my bag last time. She glanced in, saw a bunch of wires and electronics and waved me on. I was aghast! Anyway, I appreciated the poking around a bit. I am used to more effective security if they are going to play at having security at all.
In a nutshell, Egypt is a work in progress but I think traveling in Cairo is safe. And Alex is a beautiful city that you should all see. Much cleaner and on the MED! the air is sticky with salt and its beautiful.
so its safe for tourists now?
MENAgirl

Cairo, Egypt

#3 Sep 17, 2012
I think so. But other than the area right around the embassy and the Square, it always was. A few blocks from TAhrir, the tourist busses drove by the demonstrations to get to the Antiquities museum during the worst of it. So, it couldn't have been that bad. All the same, kind of stupid to get in the middle for no good reason

Cairo is a huge city, and most of the tourist attractions are in the other parts of town, on the other side of the nile, down the highway quite a way. The only thing near the rough spots is the king tut stuff (which is massively important to a visitor, granted,) and the museum stayed open and busy, by all accounts.

By the way, they are building a new museum for the antiquities, should be done in a year or so. You might want to wait til they get it all settled in if yu are making long range plans. I think a good curator could do wonders with the contents of the current museum, but they all look kind of lost and are not properly identified in many cases. I got a look at the design and it looks amazing. It will be great. They did amazing things with the Coptic Museum, it is beautiful and very well identified with provenance listed and all that stuff. They can do it great when they decide to do it:)
MENAgirl

Cairo, Egypt

#4 Sep 17, 2012
Excuse me, my grammar is more hideous than usual today. I didn't sleep last night. Sick kid. NOW he sleeps.
Lena

Canberra, Australia

#5 Sep 17, 2012
MENAgirl wrote:
Excuse me, my grammar is more hideous than usual today. I didn't sleep last night. Sick kid. NOW he sleeps.
no was grammar was fine & thankyou for that, i may be visiting but now u talk about the museum ill maybe wait for that to visit, should be very interesting to see, thnx again Menagirl
AntididonAi

Courbevoie, France

#6 Sep 17, 2012
MENAgirl wrote:
....... And Alex is a beautiful city that you should all see. Much cleaner and on the MED! the air is sticky with salt and its beautiful.
..hello MENA, and thanks for thinking positive about Alexandria,,,, well, it was much more quieter,, less noise,, lessssss people,, and more greens,, that was the lovely 'town' I know as a child 1970s,,,,
.. however, it is recommended to visit Alexandria in Fall and Winter October - March, the wheather is nicer, less crowded,
best time to enjoy the city,, early morning while everyone is at work/school,,, or at night when shops are closed, and everyone at home,
AntididonAi

Courbevoie, France

#7 Sep 17, 2012
Lena wrote:
<quoted text>
no was grammar was fine & thankyou for that, i may be visiting but now u talk about the museum ill maybe wait for that to visit, should be very interesting to see, thnx again Menagirl
... welcome to visit,, plan it at quiet season, and.......... drop from your agenda visiting that psychiatric,, tahrir,, it is not hostoric, and will not
foolish

Maidstone, UK

#8 Sep 17, 2012
20 years ago I sat in Tahrir square with flowers ..drank some water and marvelled at the treasures of egypt ...2 years agoI returned but revolution has left its scars ..no flowers but still the true treasures ...the people are there...I wish them well as dont let your perception of a country be marred by the few ....the few blinded by poverty and desperation they dont understand what they do
MENAgirl

GÓza, Egypt

#9 Sep 17, 2012
I was at the museum 2.5 years ago, the spring before the arab spring and it was beautiful. Havent been back to museum, but don't you think if they cleaned it up and organized it it would be truly magnificent? I really wish they would do the old place justice. Hope when they move to the bigger one they totally renovate the old one as I was told was planned. I want to see THAT-the way it ought to be.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#10 Sep 17, 2012
MENAgirl wrote:
I was at the museum 2.5 years ago, the spring before the arab spring and it was beautiful. Havent been back to museum, but don't you think if they cleaned it up and organized it it would be truly magnificent? I really wish they would do the old place justice. Hope when they move to the bigger one they totally renovate the old one as I was told was planned. I want to see THAT-the way it ought to be.
Mena , where are you from ?

If you do not mind me asking ?
MENAgirl

Cairo, Egypt

#11 Sep 18, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Mena , where are you from ?
If you do not mind me asking ?
Born in the USA. How about you? I lived there over 40 years. I remember the Bicentennial.(almost wrote centennial and you would have all skewered me for that!)

My 3 kids were born in the US. I have two homes in the US. And half a car. Parents, kids and a voters registration.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#12 Sep 18, 2012
MENAgirl wrote:
<quoted text>Born in the USA. How about you? I lived there over 40 years. I remember the Bicentennial.(almost wrote centennial and you would have all skewered me for that!)
My 3 kids were born in the US. I have two homes in the US. And half a car. Parents, kids and a voters registration.
I have lived in the USA all my life.

First in Maryland now in sub-tropical Florida.

“M.A....Rise”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#13 Sep 18, 2012
Tahrir square is dangerous for americans Like the devil faith

She could be welcomed to lick balls LOL
MENAgirl

Cairo, Egypt

#14 Sep 18, 2012
Egyptian_lad wrote:
Tahrir square is dangerous for americans Like the devil faith
She could be welcomed to lick balls LOL
Good thing most Egyptians aren't YOU. I am an American, you twit. And I had to wave my passport all over mogammaa for the last two days and not one person gave me grief about it. Except for, now, you. Thanks for that.
Mike Moore

San Jose, CA

#15 Jan 1, 2013
Very informative post!
I will be traveling to Cairo alone (everyone else thinks it's "too dangerous") for five days in mid-January. I'm 26, white, Californian, and an Iraq War combat veteran. I have a patriotic American tattoo on my left forearm that includes a tasteful outline of Iraq. Do you think that could paint me as a potential kidnapping target if I do not cover it up? Personally, I think it would make a good conversation topic with the locals and I'm know pretty well how to stay safe in rough situations.

Also, I plan to visit the Square, especially if there is a protest or riot, but only to observe and document. Any advice? I believe people are blowing the "safety issue" completely out of proportion, but I'd like to know if there's anything I should be aware of, such as how foreigners are expected to act.

Thank you.

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

#16 Jan 2, 2013
Mike Moore wrote:
Very informative post!
I will be traveling to Cairo alone (everyone else thinks it's "too dangerous") for five days in mid-January. I'm 26, white, Californian, and an Iraq War combat veteran. I have a patriotic American tattoo on my left forearm that includes a tasteful outline of Iraq. Do you think that could paint me as a potential kidnapping target if I do not cover it up? Personally, I think it would make a good conversation topic with the locals and I'm know pretty well how to stay safe in rough situations.
Also, I plan to visit the Square, especially if there is a protest or riot, but only to observe and document. Any advice? I believe people are blowing the "safety issue" completely out of proportion, but I'd like to know if there's anything I should be aware of, such as how foreigners are expected to act.
Thank you.
egypt not dangerous....no kidnaps here we are not chicago

you will be safe and no need to worry about anything

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

#17 Jan 2, 2013
MENAgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing most Egyptians aren't YOU. I am an American, you twit. And I had to wave my passport all over mogammaa for the last two days and not one person gave me grief about it. Except for, now, you. Thanks for that.
thank you....but better look at your racist hateful evil btch faith, she gives bad image about americans
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#18 Jan 2, 2013
No American in their right mind would want to mingle with you sand monkeys or visit your god-forsaken sh*t-hole country.

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

#20 Jan 2, 2013
Faith wrote:
No American in their right mind would want to mingle with you sand monkeys or visit your god-forsaken sh*t-hole country.
scumbags like your type not welcomed here

You old dirty bag

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

#21 Jan 2, 2013
Faith wrote:
ur disgraceful creature

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Egypt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 1 hr danetoo 392,900
The Arabs hate each other 15 hr J_a_n 4
cleaning of black money (Sep '13) 18 hr Dr Abdullah Saleh 13
a New Egypte website 21 hr Faith 2
I love spathis because???? (Jan '11) Wed CantHideTheTruth 3,717
I need to find information on someone in Cairo,... (Jul '08) Wed Faith 391
Merry Christmas Wed Faith 6
More from around the web