Retirement Haven Cuenca, Ecuador: Pluses and Minuses

Feb 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Expat Daily News Latin America

Cuenca, Ecuador continues to be a hot spot for retirees. The pluses that are touted are many, although it is the low cost of living that is by far the most loudly touted benefit in just about any article you will find about this retirement haven.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Feb 12, 2012

Since: Jan 10

Guayaquil, Ecuador

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2012

'Additionally, there are concerns about the slow creep of “gringo inflation” that is seeping into the local economy as growing numbers of people are willing to pay a little more for goods and services that are still an enormous bargain compared to the prices up north. While small increases are hardly noticeable to the retirees, those at the low end of the economic rung will definitely feel its effects, and this could eventually change the city’s social dynamics.'
Rising costs are due to the government of Ecuador and external higher fuel costs, dot to gringo inflation, as the report implies. Cigarettes and beer have gone up due to government increases in taxes. Imported goods have ben reclassified as 'luxury' items and cost more. A bottle of Henkels champaign cost $18 a year or so again, not it costs $28.00. Support for gasoline is being considered to be stopped. It has already been stopped for jet fuel this past January. Buying a new car, government taxes have gone up $1,800 or more depending on the car you purchase.
Correa says families are wasting gasoline and wants to limit $20 a month @$2.00 a gallon, and if you use more than you will pay international rates,(whatever that means).
Food items have gone up and many items that you used to be able to buy, are no longer available, especially items from the US.
Just some of the cost changes here....
Mileswife

Matawan, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2012

How are African Americans perceived in ecuador?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ecuador Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 49 min TurkanaBoy 16
bbm pins for sexting and swapping pics (Dec '12) 5 hr Raja Singh 1,811
bbm pins please girls only (Jan '13) 14 hr Bradley the boy 45
Importing a cars to ecuador (Apr '08) Aug 18 Richard 104
Two dead, several trapped following double eart... Aug 12 Shea 1
Japan's Conspiracy Strategy Is Insidious (Nov '11) Aug 3 fukuda 21
my name is sanchez i need an urgent loan please... Aug 3 sangroulalaxmi 2

Search the Ecuador Forum:
•••