American Man Stabbed 18 Times In Ecuador

A couple from Bend, Ore. , was attacked while walking on a beach in Ecuador last week, officials said. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
GEO

Newington, CT

#1 Oct 21, 2008
Nice Beach.
blackspeak

Falls Church, VA

#3 Oct 22, 2008
Americans might want to rethink traveling to countries where the US is not well liked. They should stick to countries like, England, Ireland, Germany, France, Australia, Italy, Spain, and stay away from countries like China, Middle Eastern, Asian, and South American countries.
me in MD

Germantown, MD

#4 Oct 22, 2008
If this is the way they treat the ones that are trying to help them, I certainly have no desire to visit!
Tom New York

New York, NY

#5 Oct 22, 2008
Gee Let's go to a third world country and help the poor (oh my god there stabbing me and raping my girl why is this I'm here to help them).....Instead why not stay in america and help the poor could possibly be somewhat safer.You may not understand this But believe me alot of people HATE AMERICA AND AMERICANS.
Not the norm in Ecuador

Key West, FL

#6 Oct 23, 2008
What a sad thing to happen to anyone, anywhere. Rather than blaming the couple, country and who knows what else, why not blame the sub humans who attacked them?
I have retired and lived in Manta Ecuador for 4 years now and Yes, bad things do happen but in all fairness.. look at the crime in the States.
This is so rare in Ecuador that its making news all over the world.
We in the United States have murders, rapes and baby killings in Florida. That certainly does not mean that Florida is any more unsafe than Georgia, Vermont, etc.
Lets all just pray for the speedy recovery of these obviously productive young people and that the cowards are made to he held accountable for their actions. Linda Hooks
Judas

Astoria, NY

#7 Oct 26, 2008
Wow, the media jumped at this issues, you seen how many articles about this there are. Crimes exist everywhere. Money is the crave, hate was not the crime.
Not the norm in Ecuador

Key West, FL

#8 Oct 29, 2008
My goodness Tom, do you actually think that its safer in the United States than Ecuador?
Do some research and get ready for a shock. I live in both places and I'm a lot safer in Ecuador. This was a awful crime and I pray that both the young people will recover fully in all ways.
We have so many child murders in Florida and they dont get the media this did. Lets accept that this is a violent world and is only getting worst no matter what country you live in.
Tom New York wrote:
Gee Let's go to a third world country and help the poor (oh my god there stabbing me and raping my girl why is this I'm here to help them).....Instead why not stay in america and help the poor could possibly be somewhat safer.You may not understand this But believe me alot of people HATE AMERICA AND AMERICANS.
Not the norm in Ecuador

Key West, FL

#9 Oct 29, 2008
I guess American would not travel very many places if they stuck to countries that liked them. Actually Ecuador used to be very pro America.
Many American live in Ecuador and many more are trying to retire to Ecuador. We have crime in both the States and Ecuador. Crime is every where. By nature most Ecuadorian are calm, non-violent people. Of course exceptions for every rule. What happened to the young couple happens all the time in the States and you dont read about it. Because its so unusual in Ecuador.. that is all everyone is talking about. Lets pray for a speedy full recovery for these kind, young people and all the other innocent victims. Linda
blackspeak wrote:
Americans might want to rethink traveling to countries where the US is not well liked. They should stick to countries like, England, Ireland, Germany, France, Australia, Italy, Spain, and stay away from countries like China, Middle Eastern, Asian, and South American countries.
Jirehs1

Crestview, FL

#10 Nov 9, 2008
I also lived in Manta for a year and found it to be safe IF you take sensible precautions - just like in many U.S. cities. ALL Americans should wake up and READ the State Department Travel Advisories before they travel to such exotic places as Ecuador. The current advisory (probably the result of this attack) cites Esmeraldas specifically. Gringos, do NOT act like the "ugly American"; do NOT wear flashy clothes and openly carry $1000 cameras and cool cell phones; do NOT hit on the local women especially if they're with their men; do NOT drink anything you don't personally open; do NOT get uncontollably drunk and out of control. If you DO any of these things los lobos will find you easily - just like in L.A., New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, NYC and even the small hick towns too. Google something about "Cross Cultural Awareness". It can really help. Ecuador was one of the best places I have lived and I look forward to returning. Es verdad.
Fatima

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 18, 2008
Ecuador is a pretty safe country overall, more than the US, but you still have to be cautious.
joseph v

AOL

#13 Mar 17, 2009
I am going to retire soon and would like to know if I BUY RETIREMENT propety will I BE ABLE TO KEEP IT.
Guayaco

Columbus, OH

#14 Apr 13, 2009
Come on guys!!! I'm Ecuadorian and I can tell you that they were up to something else in that region border with COLOMBIA.
Michael Joines

United States

#15 May 25, 2009
Hello, I am going to Ecuador with my soon to be wife in June. She owns a house in Guayaquill that we are going to for 2 week vacation. I am 35 white male. Powerlifter build, very friendly, and outgoing. I have served in Iraq, Hatti, and Bosnia without fear, but I am going as a family this trip with more to loose and without my fellow Marines. Any advice would be very appreciated..Thanks and God Bless. Mjoinesbravo1@aol.com
gringo

Leesburg, VA

#16 Oct 6, 2009
Guayaco wrote:
Come on guys!!! I'm Ecuadorian and I can tell you that they were up to something else in that region border with COLOMBIA.
Please, tell me what they were up to in that border region with Colombia? selling coconuts to the FARC? I lived over a year in Colombia, and I felt way safer there than in ecuador. I consistenly hear stories of theft, robbery, muggings, los sequestro express, etc. It's one thing to steal money and possesions, assault is completely different. Residents of beach towns who fuck over tourists do great damage to their community, and deserve the shit reputation they recieve.
Truth

Panama

#17 Oct 16, 2009
You get some nutcase going crazy on a beach and suddenly Ecuador becomes a scary place to visit. Give me a break. Murders, rapes, car jacks, arson happen ALL THE TIME in EVERY MAJOR U.S. CITY. Are you afraid to visit the U.S. now?
NWG

Maple Valley, WA

#18 Oct 17, 2009
It is indeed scary in Quito, even though I enjoyed living there recently for the past 3 years. We enjoyed traveling the country but always seemed to be looking over our shoulder to avoid crime.
Here are some incidents that took place.
Our 14 year old son and 3 of his friends were mugged in Carolina park. Father of son's friend was carjacked, robbed and beaten. Brother in law and 2 year old son carjacked and robbed. Aunt of sister in law car jacked and robbed. Employee of company my wife formerly worked at...followed home from work, tied up and beaten as the robbers cleaned out his house and stole his vehicles. A friend who owned a business had five employees, and everyone of them had been mugged going to or leaving work. Gun battle outside our 5th floor apartment, between police and robbers. The robbers carried more firepower and hence...victory over the police. School mate of cousin's son was kidnapped from school bus, directly in front of well known private school.
This all happened in the past 3 years in a "good" parts of the city. I can't even come close to any comparisons of crime to people I know in the States. We are fortunate to be back living in the States where we feel secure.
MLC

Mount Pleasant, MI

#19 Oct 29, 2009
Come on people, we're still talking about this one story from over a year ago? Ecuador is just like any other place in the world...it's gonna have it's bad parts, and it's bad days. I've been to Ecuador several time, married to and Ecuadorian, and looking forward to going there in December...never once have I been scared! Drive through Detroit at 12 noon on a bright and sunny day...then I'm scared. Ecuador is a great place, with great people and a great culture. This is just a simple case of "a few people ruin it for everyone." Coming from a white American man, Americans are the most inconsiderate & arrogant people in the world! Get over it! Viva Ecuador!
Mr Pilsener

United States

#20 Oct 30, 2009
MLC wrote:
Come on people, we're still talking about this one story from over a year ago? Ecuador is just like any other place in the world...it's gonna have it's bad parts, and it's bad days. I've been to Ecuador several time, married to and Ecuadorian, and looking forward to going there in December...never once have I been scared! Drive through Detroit at 12 noon on a bright and sunny day...then I'm scared. Ecuador is a great place, with great people and a great culture. This is just a simple case of "a few people ruin it for everyone." Coming from a white American man, Americans are the most inconsiderate & arrogant people in the world! Get over it! Viva Ecuador!
Well said MLC! I must say, Chicago is looking more and more like a rat hole these days. I lived in Quito for 3 years and go back frequently. There's just a lot of ridiculous, extreme paranoia on this forum. That's all.
beatiful healthy bitch

Edison, NJ

#21 Jan 12, 2010
me in MD wrote:
If this is the way they treat the ones that are trying to help them, I certainly have no desire to visit!
you got no life
ecuador is a beatiful sunny place
Rosa

Phoenix, AZ

#22 Aug 18, 2010
Not the norm in Ecuador wrote:
My goodness Tom, do you actually think that its safer in the United States than Ecuador?
Do some research and get ready for a shock. I live in both places and I'm a lot safer in Ecuador. This was a awful crime and I pray that both the young people will recover fully in all ways.
We have so many child murders in Florida and they dont get the media this did. Lets accept that this is a violent world and is only getting worst no matter what country you live in.
<quoted text>
The statistics for hate crimes in Ecuador are dubious. Ecuador isn't good at reporting accurate crime rates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ecuador Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bbm pins hot and dirty (Sep '13) 1 hr scott 99
bbm pins for sexting and swapping pics (Dec '12) 11 hr stiffler 2,419
BBM sexting (Jul '13) Mon jass 44
BBM 18+ for sending pics and flirting Dec 14 max 5
only indian bbm pins... Dec 12 fahad 18
Ecuador Case Against Chevron Before Canadian Court Dec 11 it pretty bad the... 2
Japan's Conspiracy Strategy Is Insidious (Nov '11) Dec 11 fukuda 27