Comments
1 - 20 of 86 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
susan

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hi, my husband and 14yr old daughter are considering moving to Quito, however Im rather concerned over reading reports of knife attacks and even kidnapping and rape...i would like any input from americans or brits living there...is it really that bad ?
Also i have had a big problem trying to find a private school for her, any ideas please

Since: Jun 07

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 21, 2008
 
I'm not American or British, but anyway...

First on the safety issue, there are areas to be cautious of, particularly at certain times. It's not something that should discourage you from going though, and you're not less safe than in parts of major US cities.

There are many people on the streets and parks during the days, many taxis available and public transport is used heavily, and the majority of people are law abiding. The greater issue is that there is a high degree of poverty there too, which can cause some people to become desperate.

Basically, be aware of things, consider the situation and you'll likely to be fine, plus appreciate the locals and meet some great people.

On the second point, are you looking for English speaking schools, or just private (local) schools in general?
Andrea

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 23, 2008
 
Hello Susan, I am a girl from Quito living now in the US. I am 28 years old and I have lived in Quito my entire life. It is true that as in most big cities, it is dangerous if you walk alone on the streets at night. It also depends on the neighborhood you are living in. I recommend living in Cumbaya, a small town 15 minutes away from Quito or private neighborhoods at Quito, which usually have guards who register every one coming into the neighborhood. There are beautiful houses and buildings at Quito Tennis Neighborhood, El Condado Neighborhood, or neighborhoods around Toyota in Cumbaya.
Private Schools are better than public. We have these schools where americans usually go because they teach in English, these are: Colegio Americano, Cotopaxi Academy, British School(which is in Cumbaya), Albert Einstein School, German School (Colegio Aleman), Los Pinos school (nuns and only for girls). I hope this information helps. Quito is a beautiful city to live in, we call it the city of eternal spring because of the weather.
Michelle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 24, 2008
 
susan wrote:
Hi, my husband and 14yr old daughter are considering moving to Quito, however Im rather concerned over reading reports of knife attacks and even kidnapping and rape...i would like any input from americans or brits living there...is it really that bad ?
Also i have had a big problem trying to find a private school for her, any ideas please
If you have plenty of income from an outside source, Quito is great! The schools are excellent and private school is a must. My understanding is that Cotopaxi is one of the better schools. I wish you luck. I think it is always a good experience to live abroad, especially for children.
Jose Enriquez

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 7, 2008
 
Mi nombre es Jose Enriquez soy de Quito, y vivo ahora en Canada con mi esposa que es ocanadiense, fui profesor de espanol en Quito para estudiantes extranjeros que viajan por america de Sur, y tengo esperiencia en como es la vida de un extranjero en Quito, y tambien porque por muchas ocaciones he vivido con mi espoa por dos anos o uno en Quito y nunca hemos tenido problema con la delicuencia o criminalidad, tambien mis ex estudiantes muy raro se han quejado de asalto o robos, mira lo que si te aconsejaria es que no vayan a lugares donde logicamente esta concentrada la delicuencia especalmente en las grandes ciudades, por esperiencia te digo que Ecaudor es un pais muy tranquilo y la gente es amable, por coincidencia nosotros vamos tambien por dos anos aGOSTO DEL 2008 con mi esposa y mis dos hjos, ella trabajara justamente en uno de los colegio os donde va la mayorria de extranjros, los mas sobresaliente o mejore son British School, Americano, cotopaxi, menos, muchos estan en un valle muy tranquilo y no delincuencia, esta a 2o minutos de Quito.
If you speak spanishsh you can send me an email if you want more information, my english for naw is no good especially when I am writting I have to think alot.

My email addresse is

joseenriquez@hotmail.com

Good luck.

I am glad to give information 100% truth, because I know How is the life especially to foreigner peple , I was Spanish teacher for 13 year in Quito to international student, my wife who is Canadian loves to live in Ecuador, we are going to live in Quito august 2008 my kids are goin to Staudy in British school.

john kadar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 19, 2008
 
My son and I will be visiting Quito between the 4th and 12th of June, 2008. We have rented a house in Sangolqui and have to find transportation to and from Quito. I do not want to rent a car. I am assuming there is regular bus connection. Where would I locate a stop or terminal in Sangolqui? Also, could anyone recommend a taxi driver or for hire car service?
Angel

Hurtsboro, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 26, 2008
 
Hello:

I am planning a visit to Quito this fall and I am traveling alone. I am a female. Were is the safest area of Quito to stay and which hotels/hostels should I avoid? Any information is appreciated. This is my first visit.

Thanks.
Angel

Hurtsboro, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 26, 2008
 
FYI... I live in Atlanta, Georgia and not Duluth...
Carmen

Scunthorpe, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 25, 2008
 
Angel wrote:
Hello:
I am planning a visit to Quito this fall and I am traveling alone. I am a female. Were is the safest area of Quito to stay and which hotels/hostels should I avoid? Any information is appreciated. This is my first visit.
Thanks.
Hello

Are you from UK? I am an Ecuadorian ling in UK. The safest and more attractive area for foreigners to stay is in a place called Guapulo, many foreigners live there due the the fantastic landscape and also it is easy to get to other parts of the city.
You have to avoid going to the south neighbourhood of the city where is not so safe generally. I recommend you not to go out at night.
With regard to hotels, most of the hotels are pretty good.
I hope you enjoy your visit , take care and good luck.
Vangelist

Carmel Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 1, 2008
 
Angel wrote:
Hello:
I am planning a visit to Quito this fall and I am traveling alone. I am a female. Were is the safest area of Quito to stay and which hotels/hostels should I avoid? Any information is appreciated. This is my first visit.
Thanks.
A popular place to stay for visitors is the colonial 'Centro Historico'(largest in America)... Very little or no traffic... Also, many parts of the 'modern part of Quito are being reconstructed in preparation for the 200 anniversary of "the First Independence Shout" in 2009.
NWG

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 3, 2008
 
Vangelist, all that is being constructed in Quito right now is a new mall across from Megamaxi on Seis de Decembre and alot of apartment buildings
that no one is moving into when they are complete.
Why? Because no one can afford to buy them. Just outside our apartment building there are three 10 story units....with less than 10% occupancy.
There are dozens of other finished buildings sitting empty. There are rumors that they are being financed to launder drug money. hmmmm
I haven't seen much of anything else in the form of construction projects. Wait...there is the new airport in the valley.
When was the last time you were in Quito?
Vangelist

Carmel Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 4, 2008
 
NWG wrote:
Vangelist, all that is being constructed in Quito right now is a new mall across from Megamaxi on Seis de Decembre and alot of apartment buildings
that no one is moving into when they are complete.
Why? Because no one can afford to buy them. Just outside our apartment building there are three 10 story units....with less than 10% occupancy.
There are dozens of other finished buildings sitting empty. There are rumors that they are being financed to launder drug money. hmmmm
I haven't seen much of anything else in the form of construction projects. Wait...there is the new airport in the valley.
When was the last time you were in Quito?
A month ago...

I saw there was reconstruction of the Mariscal - Amazonas shopping district streets.(Popular tourist place) Reconstructed by the municipality. If they had already finished, that was also a nice place to visit.

Other streets are also being reconstructed al over Quito en el Sur, Norte (Maldonado, Trebol del Machangara.. etc.) They need fixing and what better time to do this than for the 200th anniversary.

Modern Quito has gotten big with much traffic... I have seen drug money laundered buildings being built in modern Quito for decades..

That is why I recommend el Centro for a first time tourist... It is much more peaceful to walk around and visit old churches, and houses now museums.
Thanks but no Thanks

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 9, 2008
 
That is disgusting! Yes it happens..but you should have pride in your home country! Ecuador is beautiful and charming. Most of the people are gentle and real. Americans do not see Ecuador the way you do I can assure. We love Ecuador. Why do you hate your homeland so much?
CHARIOTS OF FIRE wrote:
<quoted text> Visit Disney in Florida, much more rewarding than looking at a bunch on indians pissing in the streets.
james

Quito, Ecuador

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 10, 2008
 
susan wrote:
Hi, my husband and 14yr old daughter are considering moving to Quito, however Im rather concerned over reading reports of knife attacks and even kidnapping and rape...i would like any input from americans or brits living there...is it really that bad ?
Also i have had a big problem trying to find a private school for her, any ideas please
I have lived in ecuador for 6 years and have never had any problems. If you are the tipical tourist coming to Ecuador, don't bring an expensive camera you don't want stolen. Don't walk the streets at night in the old city after 8 pm. Use common since as in the U.S. and you will find Ecuador, a pretty safe country. More so that the states under same conditions. Schools are excellent, if you have the money. It won't be any problem getting enrolled.
james

Quito, Ecuador

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 12, 2008
 
Billy Hewitt wrote:
Ecuador is under the spell of the dark spider Bush and his bank robbers. Dark spider Bush has slaughtered 2 MILLION iraqi men, women, and children. Now the dark spider Bush plans to invade Ecuador and steal the oil and gas and kidnap young Ecuadorian women for sex slaves to be sold to Saudi and Kuwaiti princes. US Congressional testimony has confirmed the securities liability incurred by American taxpayers from the Bush & democratic bailouts (Bear Stearns + AIG + Fannie Mae & Freddy Mac +$700 BILLION giveaway) to be $63 TRILLION or more. Why were the debates limited to senator John McCain and senator Barack Obama who were responsible for the greatest robbery in the history of the world? They have just robbed 300 million americans of $63 TRILLION. The only way america can be saved is to elect Ralph Nader who is an honest american and would go after these crooks. Bush and the political crooks have ruined the global economy and threaten Russia and Germany. The only way to save Germany and Russia from the Bush infection is to isolate America like a deadly disease. Paulson should be in Guantanamo jail as an enemy combatant. This crook is head of the Bush Bank Robbers gang. This crook stole $63 TRILLION from 300 million americans. He deserves aggressive interrogation and daily waterboarding for the next 25 years.
WOW:
GPS

Guangzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 15, 2008
 
susan wrote:
Hi, my husband and 14yr old daughter are considering moving to Quito, however Im rather concerned over reading reports of knife attacks and even kidnapping and rape...i would like any input from americans or brits living there...is it really that bad ?
Also i have had a big problem trying to find a private school for her, any ideas please
From Quito, Ecuador Experience (three years)
Really it is not that bad at all. You have good areas and not so good areas. The crime rate picks up around the holidays from pick pockets etc. Night life can get a little rowdy as well at the street parties that are frequent around local and country wide holidays and in-town soccer games. These Ecudorians are for the most part friendly, curious and compassionate. The private schools are quite affordable such as: SEK,(K-12 school) approx 700.00 per month for tution and is above average for a high school. There are others for less money and more money; I hope this helped a little.
james

Quito, Ecuador

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 15, 2008
 
GPS wrote:
<quoted text>
From Quito, Ecuador Experience (three years)
Really it is not that bad at all. You have good areas and not so good areas. The crime rate picks up around the holidays from pick pockets etc. Night life can get a little rowdy as well at the street parties that are frequent around local and country wide holidays and in-town soccer games. These Ecudorians are for the most part friendly, curious and compassionate. The private schools are quite affordable such as: SEK,(K-12 school) approx 700.00 per month for tution and is above average for a high school. There are others for less money and more money; I hope this helped a little.
Wow 700.00 a month tuition, I don't see that as being quite affordable. I use the catholic school system at a fraction of that and these are excellent schools. Again, It just depends on how much you have to spend.
Lynne

Glastonbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 9, 2008
 
james wrote:
<quoted text>Wow 700.00 a month tuition, I don't see that as being quite affordable. I use the catholic school system at a fraction of that and these are excellent schools. Again, It just depends on how much you have to spend.
I was glad to see your comment James. I am married to an Ecuadorian and we are due to move bakc out there from the UK Apr-May time. We are just back from a visit and have been looking at properties and land in Cumbaya - I also donīt see the need to pay $700 a month on a private school when there are excellent schools for a fraction of this price - much better than state schools here in the UK for a start. I previously lived in Ecuador for 2 years and feel more nervous on the streets of Glasgow than I do in parts of Quito. Obviously you are more likely to get robbed but if you keep your wits about you and watch where you go youīll be just fine. Has anyone out there recently moved to Cumbaya-Tumbaco or currently living there? Iīd like to get in touch.....
Lynne

Glastonbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Nov 9, 2008
 
Thanks but no Thanks wrote:
That is disgusting! Yes it happens..but you should have pride in your home country! Ecuador is beautiful and charming. Most of the people are gentle and real. Americans do not see Ecuador the way you do I can assure. We love Ecuador. Why do you hate your homeland so much? <quoted text>
I agree. Whatīs to see in Disneyworld - people travel to Ecuador to experience the diverse culture and Iīm glad not everyone there has your attitude. I feel sorry for you if thatīs your opinion of your country
Thanks but no Thanks

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Nov 10, 2008
 

Judged:

1

O grow up. Simpleton
Billy Hewitt wrote:
Ecuador is under the spell of the dark spider Bush and his bank robbers. Dark spider Bush has slaughtered 2 MILLION iraqi men, women, and children. Now the dark spider Bush plans to invade Ecuador and steal the oil and gas and kidnap young Ecuadorian women for sex slaves to be sold to Saudi and Kuwaiti princes. US Congressional testimony has confirmed the securities liability incurred by American taxpayers from the Bush & democratic bailouts (Bear Stearns + AIG + Fannie Mae & Freddy Mac +$700 BILLION giveaway) to be $63 TRILLION or more. Why were the debates limited to senator John McCain and senator Barack Obama who were responsible for the greatest robbery in the history of the world? They have just robbed 300 million americans of $63 TRILLION. The only way america can be saved is to elect Ralph Nader who is an honest american and would go after these crooks. Bush and the political crooks have ruined the global economy and threaten Russia and Germany. The only way to save Germany and Russia from the Bush infection is to isolate America like a deadly disease. Paulson should be in Guantanamo jail as an enemy combatant. This crook is head of the Bush Bank Robbers gang. This crook stole $63 TRILLION from 300 million americans. He deserves aggressive interrogation and daily waterboarding for the next 25 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ecuador Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 48 min Gillette 64
bbm pins for sexting and swapping pics (Dec '12) 59 min camaro guy 1,823
bbm pins please girls only (Jan '13) 18 hr Amylouise 46
Germany Beats 3-0 Ecuador to Win Group A (Jun '06) 22 hr ejykdon 5
27a7a611 Thu Nick 1
Importing a cars to ecuador (Apr '08) Aug 18 Richard 104
Two dead, several trapped following double eart... Aug 12 Shea 1

Search the Ecuador Forum:
•••