Anti-Haitian Bias Rooted in Dominican History

Taino Indian girls decorated for Carnival celebrations in the Dominican Republic. Full Story
A-Rod

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Aug 3, 2006
Rene,
we all know Haiti_DR history, I just would like to ask “Who is the Enemy”
Zabulon

Cathlamet, WA

#23 Aug 3, 2006
A-ROD:
None of the comments were directed at you
What I am saying is:
- Keep yourself educated, as to NOT jump on bandwagons <-- they're for idiots
- Learn to identify REAL PROBLEMS
- Know their REAL CAUSES
- Come up with REAL SOLUTIONS

PS: I have yet to meet a Haitian who hates a Dominican.
rene

Burlington, Canada

#24 Aug 5, 2006
A_Rod...You ask who is the enemy!! anyone who has hate, anyone who will not give his bro. or sister a chance in life. Anyone who will exploid another because of his poor situation. That is why my brother, when you said; you do not have nothing against Dr. people, I said; your the start of the answer to peace..
A-Rod

Brooklyn, NY

#25 Aug 6, 2006
rene wrote:
Marco....Well said,..for years haiti has looked for the right person (President) that can return the magic that haiti once had, the magic* that made you fall in love with the haitian people the first time you arrived in haiti. The magic* that you saw every time someone said; bonjour!. The magic* that made you want to come back to haiti, even while sitting in a plane waiting for take off back to your country. There is "NO" right person, to bring haiti back the way it once was, The name "Haiti Cherie" was not created by one person, it took 8 million great haitians to make it that way and will take the same amount, to bring it back home...
Kool!
Ron

Ashburn, VA

#26 Aug 13, 2006
The US had a big role in DR/Haiti relations http://www.humiliateamerica.com/hegmony.htm .
Vladimir

United States

#27 Aug 13, 2006
I like your inspiration. You seem to be a very young and well-educated person. I respect you for that.
I complete agree with your views. I could tell you that one day it will all come to an end. I promised everyone out in this world that history will repeat itself.
Haitians were the first to turn on the light against slavery, and I believe Haitians again will be the first Negro Afro to turn on the light against economic slavery and inefficient use of Human Capital that reigned in this world.
To all of you outthere. Young and old, you should start thinking what it is going to take for every human on this planet to realize the potential of the brain capacity that make us who we really are. And how this capacity should be utilized!!!!
Be real
Be strong
Consider yourself as a Prince/Princess
Think Biggggg!!!
Jean G Hermantin

AOL

#28 Aug 14, 2006
I am sorry for myself,I can not go back to my country Haiti.It is the place I would feel really good.Almost fity years living in USA,I am still a stranger in a stange country.It is bulshit the Dominican wants to be white...put down their pants and tell me the color of their asshole ?
rene

Burlington, Canada

#29 Aug 14, 2006
Jean Hermantin; "you feel sorry for yourself! Your not the only one, I feel sorry for you too, a man of your age to make such comment! No matter what happens to haiti, it is still a better place without people like you in it.
Lori

Fredonia, WI

#30 Aug 15, 2006
How very much we learn from each other. It takes us all to bring the magic to life for others to realize the joy of loving Haiti. Not one person to fill the bucket, but each giving drop by drop until it runs over. Truly there is hope for the world if we step back and see how we can make it better without jumping to do the same mistakes over and over.
rene

Burlington, Canada

#31 Aug 15, 2006
Lori,,, Could not have said it better. Its time for everyone to look inside each other and ask! "how can I help! How can I make a diference! To stop looking at haiti as a war zone and remember! there are still good people trapped in that nightmare. The haitian people are not asking much from the outside world, only a drop from each of us. Let us think back at a time in haiti when someone made us smile, made us feel good about being ourself,when a complete stranger smiled and said; Bonsoir. Time for everyone that says that they love haiti, help in anyway they can, even a drop from each of us will fill the bucket.
Masta Panda

New York, NY

#32 Aug 15, 2006
i dont think this problem is really a racists one but a historical, and cultural one.They are confusing it with race i think for if they really hated all blacks they would kill the dominican blacks as well.
Zabulon

Cathlamet, WA

#33 Aug 15, 2006
Masta Panda wrote:
i dont think this problem is really a racists one but a historical, and cultural one.They are confusing it with race i think for if they really hated all blacks they would kill the dominican blacks as well.
I respectfully disagree...
It is prejudice, which means:
Pre - "before"
Judice - "judge"
= Judging a person before knowing a thing about them

Example: "Those Haitians steal... Those Haitians smell... Those Haitians this & that"
That IS racism, and I have heard this from many Dominicans referring to Haitians.

As a matter of fact Dominicans even dog their own people (especially the afro ones).

*** If we don't properly diagnose the problem, how can we fix it?***
Masta Panda

New York, NY

#34 Aug 17, 2006
Zabulon wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree...
It is prejudice, which means:
Pre - "before"
Judice - "judge"
= Judging a person before knowing a thing about them
Example: "Those Haitians steal... Those Haitians smell... Those Haitians this & that"
That IS racism, and I have heard this from many Dominicans referring to Haitians.
As a matter of fact Dominicans even dog their own people (especially the afro ones).
*** If we don't properly diagnose the problem, how can we fix it?***
yea and? u can prejudge a person for there culture. haitians and dominicans are both majoryl darkskinned but u dont see dominicans prejudgeing other dominicans cuz of there skin color. most of the time they notice there haitian because of there accent clothes culture ect. not because of there skin color specifically. if u in a place were both sides peoples look similar and are both darkskinned. the only real way to dientify each other is by eachothers diff habits and ways of life not not there apearance if we look similar cuz were both darkskinned. In the history they tell them they derived from whites and not blacks yes. but i think they really learned to hate haitians because of there african culture cuz theres tons of african dominicans that are accepted and they are treated like other dominicans. while the haitians are treated different. dominican culture is spanish dominantly and haitis is african dominantly. thats the only real difference i see. can u tell me wats the physical difference between them both? i cant except that theres maybe more whites in dr. but still the majarity of both sides are black. they just have different beliefs and ways of things.
Masta Panda

New York, NY

#35 Aug 17, 2006
that thing u said haitians smell and stuff is not racism. racism is hating a person for there race. haitian is not a race its a culture and nation. a race is biological species of a human. africans are a race. whites are a race. if they really hate haitians because they are black. they would kill every darkskinned domiinican also. haiti is just a nation of dominatly africans and african culture. theres a difference.dr is a multi racial nation with a dominantly spanish culture. even though its multi racial though there are more dark looking dominicans in dr than copper or whites. thats what im trying to say.that both nation have darkskinned black peoples just with different culture. u seem to confuse a way of life with a persons race. i live in united states but that doesn because racially from the united states. because i dont derive form the people thhat made the nation of the united states. im just a citizen and was born in the land so i am american because that makes me part of the nation as well that i do celebrate some american culture. but that doesnt make me biologically caucasian of anglo decent does it? no theres a difference. when a the germans hate french people is that racism? no its not it enthocentricity. they hate them cuz they think there ways are better than the french. but dominicans confuse race with culture. if dominicans hated people of african decent 80% of dr would be killed. cuz thats around how many people of african decent ar ethere in dr. and they would only be copper skinned or white people there.
Masta Panda

New York, NY

#36 Aug 17, 2006
o yea and im dominican to and been in dr. I would kno because most of my dominican family hates haitians but they dont go out to the street and threatining there darkskined neigbors that there haitian. I dont hate haitians thou there not bad people that cause trouble all the time. in fact one of my cousins there is very darkskinned but they dont call her haitian or beat her up for it. its a cultural, along with some some history hatred, confused with race. because ethe history of the dr has been messed around with when trujillo ruled. and funny thing also is that dr was founded on different races mixing and living together under a common culture.
Rene

Burlington, Canada

#37 Aug 17, 2006
Masta Panda ! Your family hates haitians! what a lost! "funny how so many people from around the world visit dr. for its great beaches, they come back talking for it for days. People from around the world that have visited haiti! "talk about "how great the people are. Anyone who has visited haiti will come back a richer person, cause of the people he has met. I am not trashing the DR. people cause they are just as wonderfull."however! the riches of DR. are theire beaches, resorts and tourist areas, the riches of haiti, are theire people. If your family hates haitians, perhaps its deeper than just hating (maybe they just don't like anyone) If the day your family wants to be amoungs people that will respect them, invite them in theire homes as family, and receive a smile as they walk the street, then they should visit haiti. "Don't let the media, political unjusdice or poverty in haiti, keep you from knowing a great people. Perhaps if your family had to survive for generation without, they would have a different culture also. So you could be right! its not racism, its just perhaps your family think they are better than anyone else, as I said; it may be deeper!
The Truth

Cathlamet, WA

#38 Aug 17, 2006
Masta Panda... I just hope my country was in better shape today, I would send you an invite to see how B E A U T I F U L our people are. We got women that belong on the cover of magazines, and I am talking about women of all skin tones ---> including dark skinned blacks.
Now as to what Trujillo did, it is very unfortunate, you're right. But it is the responsibility of the people to free their minds from the lingering FALSE issues and prejudice that still exists today.
Therefore, it is YOUR responsibility to EDUCATE your family as to their mindset and hatred of the Haitian people. Maybe your own mind needs to be clarified on this issue too. I don't know.

All I know is this:
ANY OPPRESSED PEOPLE WILL BE FROWNED UPON.
You never know, it could be the Dominicans turn tomorrow. Then they will know what it feels like.

Just my 2 cents.
Masta Panda

New York, NY

#39 Aug 18, 2006
Rene wrote:
Masta Panda ! Your family hates haitians! what a lost! "funny how so many people from around the world visit dr. for its great beaches, they come back talking for it for days. People from around the world that have visited haiti! "talk about "how great the people are. Anyone who has visited haiti will come back a richer person, cause of the people he has met. I am not trashing the DR. people cause they are just as wonderfull."however! the riches of DR. are theire beaches, resorts and tourist areas, the riches of haiti, are theire people. If your family hates haitians, perhaps its deeper than just hating (maybe they just don't like anyone) If the day your family wants to be amoungs people that will respect them, invite them in theire homes as family, and receive a smile as they walk the street, then they should visit haiti. "Don't let the media, political unjusdice or poverty in haiti, keep you from knowing a great people. Perhaps if your family had to survive for generation without, they would have a different culture also. So you could be right! its not racism, its just perhaps your family think they are better than anyone else, as I said; it may be deeper!
My family ONLY in dr dont like em i never said my whole family does. and are u trying to say that cuz my family in dr dont like em i dont like em? i never said anything like that. I never sayed haitian people are bad people or anything have I. so i dont kno were this lecture is going because this sounds like ur trying to say i hate haitians because my family members in dr dont like em. And there not like that as u say that they hate everyone cuz there very friendly people just not as tolerant with haitian people for watever reasons they have specifically.
Masta Panda

New York, NY

#40 Aug 18, 2006
The Truth wrote:
Masta Panda... I just hope my country was in better shape today, I would send you an invite to see how B E A U T I F U L our people are. We got women that belong on the cover of magazines, and I am talking about women of all skin tones ---> including dark skinned blacks.
Now as to what Trujillo did, it is very unfortunate, you're right. But it is the responsibility of the people to free their minds from the lingering FALSE issues and prejudice that still exists today.
Therefore, it is YOUR responsibility to EDUCATE your family as to their mindset and hatred of the Haitian people. Maybe your own mind needs to be clarified on this issue too. I don't know.
All I know is this:
ANY OPPRESSED PEOPLE WILL BE FROWNED UPON.
You never know, it could be the Dominicans turn tomorrow. Then they will know what it feels like.
Just my 2 cents.
yes i do agree with u but its very hard to teach people who have been taught this all there life u kno wat im saying. if u wanted real results they would have to be in very similar shoes as them. but obviously the haitians got it worst then dominicans so dominicans who have been told they are superior wont fully understand the situation of haitian people. its worth a shot though u are right i should probably try to get them to be more open minded to haitians.
A-Rod

Brooklyn, NY

#41 Aug 18, 2006
Masta Pada,
I am Dominican an i agreed with what you wrote.
All my life i been saying that same.
Get it straigth Dominican dont like Haitins not because they are black, but because of the history between the two nation.

Dominicans are about 75% black the rest are Mulato or white. However, most of the white Dominicans got family members that are black or mulato.
If Dominicans dont like hatians(I dont like the word hate)is not because of their color, we would have civil war in Dominican, family killing family, Brother killing brothers, fathersand mother killing son and daugther, friend killing frieds. Dominican is a mixe people.

Dominicans feel about Haitians the same way Haitians feel about Domincans. If you had a brother and he was figthing for a diffente cause. what would you do?

I hear many people here talk about Domincans thicking that Haiti is the root of their probles, to me they are just full of BS. You say that and then you complay about what Domincans are doing to Haitians. Like Domincans are the root of Haiti probles, it sound to me like your doing the same thing that your complaining about.

Yes i know that theres alot of misunderstanding between the two, but that does not means that one nation is in the right and the is in the wrong.

The same way theres needed Haitias theres needed Dominicans. Why does the Haitina & Dominican government get along, Because they are the only one that win when the two people dont agree with eachother.

If people want the world to be a better place, they should fixe what is wrong at their home and then try to help your neighbors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dominican Republic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are dominicans woman easy or just hard up for $... (Mar '12) Mon Michael 36
why do black people always try to claim dominic... (Sep '12) Dec 22 Leonardo DiPartlow 77
Spain celebrates Columbus, descendants defend h... (May '06) Dec 17 clickjogos 67
Dominicans are ALL BLACK!!!! (May '14) Dec 12 Princess 10
I am Dominican, not black (May '12) Dec 12 Princess 307
Why Do Dominicans wish they were White? (Oct '11) Dec 12 Princess 864
Now I Understand Puerto Ricans (Apr '12) Dec 12 Princess 35
More from around the web