First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Spark

Usti Nad Labem, Czech Republic

#1 May 24, 2012
Hey,
I am Dominican and call myself Latino. I don't have fat lips or nose, don't have nappy hair and I look Mexican. I reside in Europe and when I met my Spanish teacher for the first time he said 'You look 'Spanish'(this is the way some Latinos call other Latinos) before he knew who I was.
Why should I call myself 'black' because some AA c*nt with issues on the Internet said so? And yes like most Latinos (sorry but even Mexicans have got like 3-5% black in them) I have some black in me (probably less than 10%).
It's true there are a lot of blacks and mulattoes in the DR but claiming all are is just as dumb as saying all Americans are white. And yes I am sure there are some Dominicans that are black or half black and don't want to be called black. My dad even told me a funny story about his black friend that had in his passport something like "dark Indian".(And I agree it's pretty stupid to do so) When you think about it some half blacks that don't want to be called black makes sense. If they were born in a Latino region, speak Latino language and share Latino culture and just because they are part black they don't want to be called black because they have never had any African culture in them (yes Latino music/food has some African features but rather insignificant)
You never see white people going around other people are white, or Asians trying to claim anyone who at least partly resembles them. On the other hand why AA try to claim other peoples? It's like if I had HIV or something I'd subconsciously (although would not probably admit it) want other people want it too. Same is if I had an F at school I don't want to be alone. Seems like you guys think black is a 'curse' and since you don't have any culture or achievements on your own you want other people feel the same. I am sorry since ancient Egyptians were most likely black (so much proof when you look in it) but even them got whitewashed so most people think they were aryan or 'dark whites' at most. By subscribing into this type of thinking you're automatically subscribing to white supremacy thinking.
Instead of looking up to people like Malcolm X so many black people have these idiots like Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj or puppet Obama. These guys are purposefully chosen by whites to keep you in your ignorant position. I suggest that by investing time in yourselves will pay off much more than going around on the Internet claiming everyone is black so you don't feel that bad about yourselves. I also agree that it is very stupid for anyone especially non white (Latino) to be racist against blacks. Here in Europe everyone would be a victim of such abuse.
This guy http://www.topzine.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011... is for example always racially attacked in the comments, frequently called the n word and when he was starting to rap he said that many times people purchased tickets just so they could heckle.
Le trou de balle

AOL

#2 May 26, 2012
I second Spark comments.
.
They are trying to humiliate us and call us racist because THEY WANT US TO SWALLOW THE HAITIAN AND BECOME A SATELLITE OF HAITI!
.
This is why we dominican must reject the US, France, Canada and the friends of Haiti!
.
More racists are the Haitian who exterminate whites and mulato in the past and will not tolerate them in their land (of course for now they because they need them for their imperial conquest of the island Hispaniola)!
Thank you

Houston, TX

#3 Jun 3, 2012
Sorry to break it to you, but Dominicans ARE black. You may have been brought up with Latin culture, but your race is still black. However, you two are both so ignorant - which is made very clear from you comments about big lips, big nose, and nappy hair - that I just wanted to take the time to THANK YOU for not claiming to be black.

Judged:

23

13

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Benzo

New York, NY

#5 Jun 4, 2012
F that Dominicans aren't black that's like taking a cup a pure milk dropping a grain of cocolate in it and calling it cocolate milk .... It doesn't look like cocolate milk or even taste like it ... So why would u call it cocolate because somewhere deep inside under a microscope u might find that one grain ?? Forgetting about the other 99%? Yea that makes sense ...
Ethnicity VS Race

Ashland, VA

#6 Jun 8, 2012
Before making your comment about what "race" Dominicans fall under, please pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of those 2 key words.

Race: Noun:Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.

Ethnicity: Noun:The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

With that said, DOMINICANS AREN'T BLACK! Not by culture and not by race!

What is it with AA wanting to claim EVERYONE with some color to them?

I'm Dominican, my primary language is Spanish, my cultural background has absolutely NOTHING to do with AFRICA and according to the definition of RACE I'm not BLACK!
why domin

Birmingham, UK

#7 Jun 15, 2012
u fools should check dom omar or tego skin colour are dark or how african they look.
Joel

Satellite Provider

#8 Jun 16, 2012
why domin wrote:
u fools should check dom omar or tego skin colour are dark or how african they look.
... Obviously you are not even Latino, and definitely NOT DOMINICAN... Don Omar and Tego calderon are Puerto Rican , and yes they have African heritage just like most Dominicans, and Yes, us Dominicans ARE PROUD of our African heritage , you see it on our skin, hair, culture, food, music and festivities, But we are also PROUD of the Spanish side too, we speak Spanish and have Spanih culture, We are mulattos which means 50/50%. we lost communication with Africa 300 years ago, we don't speak any African language and we don't pretend to be " Africans" , we are LATIN AMERICANS, and we love it, Your ridiculous ideas that Dominicans are not proud of our heritage is only in your mind, Stop talking about People that you know nothing about...
Anonymous

United States

#10 Jul 8, 2012
why domin wrote:
u fools should check dom omar or tego skin colour are dark or how african they look.
Yea their puerto rican but dominicans will never throw a fit if you say duminicans are white. They bleach their skin and slap on powder to look like sarah palin and john mccain.
Anonymous

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2012
Joel wrote:
<quoted text>... Obviously you are not even Latino, and definitely NOT DOMINICAN... Don Omar and Tego calderon are Puerto Rican , and yes they have African heritage just like most Dominicans, and Yes, us Dominicans ARE PROUD of our African heritage , you see it on our skin, hair, culture, food, music and festivities, But we are also PROUD of the Spanish side too, we speak Spanish and have Spanih culture, We are mulattos which means 50/50%. we lost communication with Africa 300 years ago, we don't speak any African language and we don't pretend to be " Africans" , we are LATIN AMERICANS, and we love it, Your ridiculous ideas that Dominicans are not proud of our heritage is only in your mind, Stop talking about People that you know nothing about...
Hispanoila hispanic not latin that's a ddamn shame there's many african launages spoken through out central and south america. Don't dominicans want to be white? Every dominican I've seen while in the states are dark. Some even told me that they are lower class citizens. Dominicans are some crazy bipolar people (the ones I know). A friend of mine is gonna become a panamaian citizen she hates being dominican say que lo que around her and she gets mad. She hates d.r never went over there again its been 7 years for her. She'll visit when she is panamaian citizen to brag to peoples she knows over there and in the states. I'm really glad she hates being dominican I'm the only one that accepts her for the way she is.
ikyb

Milltown, NJ

#13 Jul 18, 2012
Sorry but most of Dominicans are black, Why deny your identity, JERK get a life.
Anonymous

United States

#14 Jul 18, 2012
ikyb wrote:
Sorry but most of Dominicans are black, Why deny your identity, JERK get a life.
Don't have no clue if you're responding to me. I'm not duminican I'm panamaian.#2 yes I'm black #3 I'm no jerk I asume you are.
DOMINICANA

Orlando, FL

#15 Jul 31, 2012
I would recommend to most of you to get a book and study a little bit more about Latin History, and most importantly DOMINICAN history to understand where we (Latinos/Dominicans) came from.
Nowdays, most dominicans are very proud of their heritage, knowing where we came form makes who we are now. In fact, I remember when in school we used to make fun of how stupid the indians/blacks where and we used to hate on the Spaniards for murderers, abusiveness, and rapers. However, now, all that is somehow in the past. Now, we are 1 nation and 1 culture "Dominican Rep"!! and we intermingle with each other no matter the race. We don't have the need to call each other black dominicans, white dominicans as US have the need to differentiate AA.
Defining DOMINICANS as not black or white, has nothing to do with the color of our skin in most cases: 1. Even though that most of us has the black in the back of the ear, not all dominicans look black.
2. Is what you take as reference and what it actually means, WITHIN the island, calling someone black means REALLY dark... otherwise, you are mulato or sometimes they would say indiesito to differentiate another shade of black.
3. This let me to Black = Haitians and subconsciously dominicans don't like to be resemble to Haitians in any way, shape or form. Again, to understand, I recommend you DR history of 1820-1844. and
4. in US we don't call our self black because of the general connotation it carries. Black = AA and we are just not!! in general, we are not the same!! we don't look the same, we don't act the same, we don't value the same things, we are just not you!! But, saying this does not mean I denigrate my/your race either. Nevertheless, we don't call our self white either! We consider in general "White Americans" very boring.
Now leaving in the US, I always have found curious why would black people call them self African Americans. You are American and that's it!!! I don't see white people calling them self Irish american? Don't you see that even though slavery was abolish years ago, They still are separating you from them. Like you guys are not the same thing??
I am Dominican and I am proud of my African race,it gave me my flavor, my passion, as well as my Indian race, and of my Spaniard race, it refined me, it gave me security, sensuality, etc.. All of them gave me MY culture which is 100% different than American culture and somewhat different than any other Hispanic culture.
Anonymous

United States

#17 Aug 1, 2012
DOMINICANA wrote:
I would recommend to most of you to get a book and study a little bit more about Latin History, and most importantly DOMINICAN history to understand where we (Latinos/Dominicans) came from.
Nowdays, most dominicans are very proud of their heritage, knowing where we came form makes who we are now. In fact, I remember when in school we used to make fun of how stupid the indians/blacks where and we used to hate on the Spaniards for murderers, abusiveness, and rapers. However, now, all that is somehow in the past. Now, we are 1 nation and 1 culture "Dominican Rep"!! and we intermingle with each other no matter the race. We don't have the need to call each other black dominicans, white dominicans as US have the need to differentiate AA.
Defining DOMINICANS as not black or white, has nothing to do with the color of our skin in most cases: 1. Even though that most of us has the black in the back of the ear, not all dominicans look black.
2. Is what you take as reference and what it actually means, WITHIN the island, calling someone black means REALLY dark... otherwise, you are mulato or sometimes they would say indiesito to differentiate another shade of black.
3. This let me to Black = Haitians and subconsciously dominicans don't like to be resemble to Haitians in any way, shape or form. Again, to understand, I recommend you DR history of 1820-1844. and
4. in US we don't call our self black because of the general connotation it carries. Black = AA and we are just not!! in general, we are not the same!! we don't look the same, we don't act the same, we don't value the same things, we are just not you!! But, saying this does not mean I denigrate my/your race either. Nevertheless, we don't call our self white either! We consider in general "White Americans" very boring.
Now leaving in the US, I always have found curious why would black people call them self African Americans. You are American and that's it!!! I don't see white people calling them self Irish american? Don't you see that even though slavery was abolish years ago, They still are separating you from them. Like you guys are not the same thing??
I am Dominican and I am proud of my African race,it gave me my flavor, my passion, as well as my Indian race, and of my Spaniard race, it refined me, it gave me security, sensuality, etc.. All of them gave me MY culture which is 100% different than American culture and somewhat different than any other Hispanic culture.


Also if dominican rep is latin america so is jamaica,cayman islands virgin islands,trinidad&tobago. They say its of the latin american region but your island which you're american not born there is called hispanola.
Anonymous

United States

#18 Aug 1, 2012
DOMINICANA wrote:
I would recommend to most of you to get a book and study a little bit more about Latin History, and most importantly DOMINICAN history to understand where we (Latinos/Dominicans) came from.
Nowdays, most dominicans are very proud of their heritage, knowing where we came form makes who we are now. In fact, I remember when in school we used to make fun of how stupid the indians/blacks where and we used to hate on the Spaniards for murderers, abusiveness, and rapers. However, now, all that is somehow in the past. Now, we are 1 nation and 1 culture "Dominican Rep"!! and we intermingle with each other no matter the race. We don't have the need to call each other black dominicans, white dominicans as US have the need to differentiate AA.
Defining DOMINICANS as not black or white, has nothing to do with the color of our skin in most cases: 1. Even though that most of us has the black in the back of the ear, not all dominicans look black.
2. Is what you take as reference and what it actually means, WITHIN the island, calling someone black means REALLY dark... otherwise, you are mulato or sometimes they would say indiesito to differentiate another shade of black.
3. This let me to Black = Haitians and subconsciously dominicans don't like to be resemble to Haitians in any way, shape or form. Again, to understand, I recommend you DR history of 1820-1844. and
4. in US we don't call our self black because of the general connotation it carries. Black = AA and we are just not!! in general, we are not the same!! we don't look the same, we don't act the same, we don't value the same things, we are just not you!! But, saying this does not mean I denigrate my/your race either. Nevertheless, we don't call our self white either! We consider in general "White Americans" very boring.
Now leaving in the US, I always have found curious why would black people call them self African Americans. You are American and that's it!!! I don't see white people calling them self Irish american? Don't you see that even though slavery was abolish years ago, They still are separating you from them. Like you guys are not the same thing??
I am Dominican and I am proud of my African race,it gave me my flavor, my passion, as well as my Indian race, and of my Spaniard race, it refined me, it gave me security, sensuality, etc.. All of them gave me MY culture which is 100% different than American culture and somewhat different than any other Hispanic culture.


Your culture ain't latin its american and hispanic. Just because a beautiful black puerto rican called don omar real name: landron made a song called reggaeton latino don't mean you run around saying it. 2003 to 2006 did make a lot of hit record I love. Why don't you wanna consider your culture hispanic? Spaish islands p.r cuba.....dr and haiti<3 are hispanic countries. Looks like you need to study abit more boo. Libraries are excellent sources for the books you need I have nook oh let me explain its like a book but its a tablet like the flat computer known as an ipad. Its very amsome I learned about the human heart and natural bllod thinners. My boyfriend who is mexican loves to pratice english on his iphone. He even studies about cultures as well and hate when in the states he's called hispanic which a lot of people call mexicans. We share a beautiful culture his family adores me despite the fact I look like a full black woman they love colors and call me unique. I couldn't date dominicans no offense a boyfriend before I had was dominican I was staying with some family in NY. His family kept saying I hope you guys baby has hair and skin tone of my mom.
Christina

Harvey, LA

#19 Aug 5, 2012
I don't understand Dominicans at times. I'm Dominican through one grandmother, Cuban through the other grandmother and Haitian from the rest. I understand more than anyone that Caribbean people are proud of their heritage, but what I don't get is that so many Dominicans would go so far as to say that they are not black. I understand you have your Spanish side, but look at your color honey. You are also BLACK. Why can't you accept that side as much as your Spanish side?

I know Dominicans who go as far as saying they are white but just dark skinned. No, you are also black. Its in there . I'm dark brown, I will never go around claiming I'm not black, I will claim all of me. A Haitian, Dominican, and Cuban girl who is as much black as she is Hispanic.
Anonymous

United States

#20 Aug 5, 2012
Christina wrote:
I don't understand Dominicans at times. I'm Dominican through one grandmother, Cuban through the other grandmother and Haitian from the rest. I understand more than anyone that Caribbean people are proud of their heritage, but what I don't get is that so many Dominicans would go so far as to say that they are not black. I understand you have your Spanish side, but look at your color honey. You are also BLACK. Why can't you accept that side as much as your Spanish side?
I know Dominicans who go as far as saying they are white but just dark skinned. No, you are also black. Its in there . I'm dark brown, I will never go around claiming I'm not black, I will claim all of me. A Haitian, Dominican, and Cuban girl who is as much black as she is Hispanic.
You go girl yea its sad to seem them like that. I have dominican friends who rather be mexican, they are off their rocker. I diss anyone who disses themselves when they deny apart of themself weather dominican or brasilian will get bashed. I'm panamaian mexican nigerian spainard. Black/indian and I look very black and I'm very proud too. They should accept themselves whole so stupid fights don't start especially when you can clearly see they look some what differnt than their white counter parts. I even had to slap a few mexicans some reality you ain't white if your skin is brown.
emkime

Washington, DC

#21 Aug 5, 2012
kemee

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22 Aug 7, 2012
Ethnicity VS Race wrote:
Before making your comment about what "race" Dominicans fall under, please pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of those 2 key words.
Race: Noun:Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
Ethnicity: Noun:The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
With that said, DOMINICANS AREN'T BLACK! Not by culture and not by race!
What is it with AA wanting to claim EVERYONE with some color to them?
I'm Dominican, my primary language is Spanish, my cultural background has absolutely NOTHING to do with AFRICA and according to the definition of RACE I'm not BLACK!
white americans will call you black, too. if you look like you have *some* african admixture which the vast majority of dominicans do. it's not just aa, its an american thing. that's how race is defined here.
Prophet

United States

#23 Aug 7, 2012
I was asked was I dominican and Im pure black/brown no white na for 3 or 4 generations. I am not mixed but my skin is brown I rep 100 percent African ancestry. Most dominicans are atleast 60 percent African.
Karina

Harvey, LA

#24 Aug 7, 2012
What's the point of this post? Ok, you're not black, feel better. It true that some Dominicans have more African blood in them than others, ok. Color wise, some are black but you say you aren't so I guess you aren't. Now go to sleep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dominican Republic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are dominicans woman easy or just hard up for $... (Mar '12) Dec 22 Michael 36
why do black people always try to claim dominic... (Sep '12) Dec 22 Leonardo DiPartlow 77
Anti-Haitian Bias Rooted in Dominican History (Mar '06) Dec 17 romance 12,329
Spain celebrates Columbus, descendants defend h... (May '06) Dec 17 clickjogos 67
Dominicans are ALL BLACK!!!! (May '14) Dec 12 Princess 10
Why Do Dominicans wish they were White? (Oct '11) Dec 12 Princess 864
Now I Understand Puerto Ricans (Apr '12) Dec 12 Princess 35
More from around the web