“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#182 Sep 13, 2012
Sal wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep being a stubborn, spoiled, ignorant, and ungrateful brat. I'm sure your ancestors are rolling in their graves right now.
fk you. don't worry about my ancestors as we don't share the same ancestry nor do our ancestors share the same realm.
Joel

Hagerstown, MD

#183 Sep 14, 2012
wow..!!! So many haters in here, look like some Dominicans either kicked someone's ass or were banging their wives or husbands ,that they hate Dominicans so much, this is obviously not about color of the skin or heritage, all this aggression against Dominicans is based on personal differences in their past. lol too bad, what a bunch of losers.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#185 Sep 15, 2012
Joel wrote:
wow..!!! So many haters in here, look like some Dominicans either kicked someone's ass or were banging their wives or husbands ,that they hate Dominicans so much, this is obviously not about color of the skin or heritage, all this aggression against Dominicans is based on personal differences in their past. lol too bad, what a bunch of losers.
the only place IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD you will find someone talking about a dominican IS RIGHT HERE ON THE DOMINICAN FORUM ON TOPIX.

be gratefull for that much attention.
Anony

United States

#186 Sep 17, 2012
Ummm...I understand Dominicans taking offense to the OP, but still you cannot deny the deep-seated colorism in the DR. Nor can you ignore the history. In the DR, "black" is a bad word, associatd with dishonesty, poverty and stupidity. If this were not true, why is the saying "Es negra, pero tiene el alma blanca." (She is black but has a white soul) still said today? Why is white considered good or pure and black considered such a horrible thing?

Clearly, Dominicans are not the only ones that have suffered from the effects of colonialism, slavery and exploitation of the Europeans and are not the only culture that base their standard of beauty on European features. However, here in the US, we did have a civil rights movement where black pride was celebrated.

There are still issues here, but unlike the DR people are not heckled in the street for having African features, or chased down the street with combs and flat irons. Sorry but the Domincans in this thread who are pretending that this doesn't happen are being ridiculous.

It is in issue and those of you who claim that the country is 80%(or above) mulatto are still in denial. We can all say we are "indio" and refuse to indentify oursleves as black, but your African blood is as prominent as it is in any African American and in many cases, even more so. Claim to be indio, blanco or moreno on your ID card doesn't make you any less negro than you look.
Sal

Bronx, NY

#187 Oct 19, 2012
Anony wrote:
Ummm...I understand Dominicans taking offense to the OP, but still you cannot deny the deep-seated colorism in the DR. Nor can you ignore the history. In the DR, "black" is a bad word, associatd with dishonesty, poverty and stupidity. If this were not true, why is the saying "Es negra, pero tiene el alma blanca." (She is black but has a white soul) still said today? Why is white considered good or pure and black considered such a horrible thing?
Clearly, Dominicans are not the only ones that have suffered from the effects of colonialism, slavery and exploitation of the Europeans and are not the only culture that base their standard of beauty on European features. However, here in the US, we did have a civil rights movement where black pride was celebrated.
There are still issues here, but unlike the DR people are not heckled in the street for having African features, or chased down the street with combs and flat irons. Sorry but the Domincans in this thread who are pretending that this doesn't happen are being ridiculous.
It is in issue and those of you who claim that the country is 80%(or above) mulatto are still in denial. We can all say we are "indio" and refuse to indentify oursleves as black, but your African blood is as prominent as it is in any African American and in many cases, even more so. Claim to be indio, blanco or moreno on your ID card doesn't make you any less negro than you look.
UMMM...the very fact that we use words like "morena" and "negra" which means "black" as words of endearment towards our women regardless of their color really goes against your accusations. What, you never listened to bachata? Because you would at least know this if you ever listened to it's lyrics. I highly doubt you understand Dominicans if you believe the Indio term is meant literally. "Blanco" is also never used for dark skinned people either, it's meant for very European looking members of our ethnic group. Yes, we have white looking Dominicans, no they're not uncommon, stop crying over it. Even then we Dominicans hardly use the blanco term for our white and light skinned members and usually leave that term for the gringos. We instead tend to use the terms "Rubio" and "Trigueno Claro" for white and light skinned Dominicans. Tell me, if we use these racial terms to negate our blackness, then why does a Dominican like Amelia Vega get referred to as "Triguena Claro" or even "India" by other Dominicans when it's obvious she has very extremely little, if any, African features? What blackness does she need to negate? No one would mistake her for black! Also, we don't "chased black people down the street with combs and flat irons" this is what happens when gullible and stupid morons like you believe every bullshit you read online. Finally, we are a MULTIRACIAL nation whether you except it or not. Here's the proof..
Sal

Bronx, NY

#188 Oct 19, 2012
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc...

It says the average admixture for Dominicans is "65% Euro/29% Afro/7% Indigenous"

That means Dominicans are far more mixed than African-Americans. So stop trying to claim us and just deal with it already, we're not the same. Now fuck off with your insecurities, and push your white slave master's ideals of race on somebody else because we know who we are.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#189 Oct 20, 2012
Sal wrote:
https://docs.google.com/spread sheet/ccc?authkey=CL2T54EF &key=0At1sp4m_NTCLdHB4a2FZ YXRxZnh0UzRfbzlTV2lXSWc&hl =en_US&authkey=CL2T54EF#gi d=0
It says the average admixture for Dominicans is "65% Euro/29% Afro/7% Indigenous"
That means Dominicans are far more mixed than African-Americans. So stop trying to claim us and just deal with it already, we're not the same. Now fuck off with your insecurities, and push your white slave master's ideals of race on somebody else because we know who we are.
how do you know who you are if you are mixed 65% european/29% african and 7% native? LOL!!! or do you mean that 65% of dominicans are europeans, 29% african descent and 7% are native descent? LOLOLOLOL!!!!

blk americans don't "claim" nor do we care about a dominican.
Sal

Bronx, NY

#190 Oct 21, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
how do you know who you are if you are mixed 65% european/29% african and 7% native? LOL!!! or do you mean that 65% of dominicans are europeans, 29% african descent and 7% are native descent? LOLOLOLOL!!!!
blk americans don't "claim" nor do we care about a dominican.
I'm talking about the ancestral admixture of the average Dominican. And thank you for seeing my point, we are a mixed race people so it's ridiculous for people to try to label us one particular race other than multiracial.
Joel

Hagerstown, MD

#191 Oct 21, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
the only place IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD you will find someone talking about a dominican IS RIGHT HERE ON THE DOMINICAN FORUM ON TOPIX.
be gratefull for that much attention.
There is nothing to grateful for , when is coming from a bunch of insecure racist morons.
Joel

Hagerstown, MD

#192 Oct 21, 2012
There is the reality that most of these blacks that claim to be Black Americans are nothing more than Haitians born here or came to the US at an early age, I have never hear of any problem between Dominicans and AA, The only people that just hate and envy us, are Haitians, Doesn't matter that DR help them so much every year, the hate toward us continue even outside of the island.
Jenn

New York, NY

#193 Oct 21, 2012
When I was little in DR my grandmother would say "stay away from Haitians they kill kids and do voodoo " so to answer your question yes there is racism. I just think as time goes there's more tolerance to other cultures.
just stand up

Chicago, IL

#194 Oct 21, 2012
It depends. I never experienced it as a black man, I think it has a lot to do with a rival history between Haitians and Dominicans. However, the Spanish colonial period and the elite of Dominican Republic who are the 2% with more Spanish blood seem to nit like blacks as much. From what I researched and was told, Dominicans don't approve of Haitians by cultural, religious, and mentality since they are two different people. There is probably racism there, but I think we need to not quick look at the term 'racism,'and look at the history that is a rivalry. You can say the same thing about Israeli/Palestinian, Armenian.Turkish, Japanese/Chinese...but, as I have seen my fellow AA's travel to the DR, they weren't look down upon. Beside,s most Dominicans I have encountered look like AA's, and if not, close to us.
Sal

Bronx, NY

#195 Oct 22, 2012
Agreed with a lot of what you said, but lol'd at the claim the most of us resemble African-Americans. Maybe true if you're referring certain African-Americans like Obama and Alicia Keys, but those aren't the average Aframs either.
Mayah

Erode, India

#196 Nov 23, 2012
wow :O i'm Indian and i wanna study in DR. i was looking at visas and stuff and i end up here. not really encouraging..:( i mean i know racism is everywhere. north indians treat south people bad, so i can relate. how about racism against asian / indian people in DR? is it bad?

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

#197 Nov 23, 2012
Mayah wrote:
wow :O i'm Indian and i wanna study in DR. i was looking at visas and stuff and i end up here. not really encouraging..:( i mean i know racism is everywhere. north indians treat south people bad, so i can relate. how about racism against asian / indian people in DR? is it bad?
probably not because you are not considered black.
Mayah

Erode, India

#198 Nov 24, 2012
dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
probably not because you are not considered black.
glad to hear that.:)
IrishPuertoRican

Reston, VA

#200 Dec 18, 2012
Dominicans who are dark skin KNOW they are Black just like Afro Americans but they don't identify with Africa because they ARE DOMINICAN, Same with Most Afro Americans have no ties with Africa other than Skin Color. They are Americans.
People based their own experiences on a whole country color identity????? IGNORANCE! LET DOMINICANS BE DOMINICANS LIKE AMERICANS ARE AMERICANS OR JAMAICANS ARE JAMAICAN.
Don't EVER speak on people from another country's pride or lack there of, if YOUR'E not born and raised there.
PUERTO RICANS AND DOMINICANS AREN'T HUNG UP ON SKIN COLOR LIKE AMERICANS!!!!! AMERICANS ARE SO IGNORANT ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE. AND I'M AMERICAN SAYING THIS!
I WISH THE USA WAS MORE LIKE PUERTO RICO AND THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WHEN IT CAME TO SKIN COLOR. AMERICANS, WE ARE SO BACKWARDS ON RACE!!!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#202 Dec 26, 2012
no
James

New York, NY

#204 May 22, 2013
Joel wrote:
There is the reality that most of these blacks that claim to be Black Americans are nothing more than Haitians born here or came to the US at an early age, I have never hear of any problem between Dominicans and AA, The only people that just hate and envy us, are Haitians, Doesn't matter that DR help them so much every year, the hate toward us continue even outside of the island.
That statement right there proves how ignorant and racist your culture is. Have a seat.
not your bussiness

Newark, NJ

#206 Jun 24, 2013
im dominican and never once had a problem accepting the fact that im mixed. the only reason why people think that dominicans kiss white peoples ass is because white people were an oddity. i might have made that word up. anyways, we dont go crazy over people with the same color as us because it is not exciting. duhhhhh is common sense if you ask me. and is pretty normal too. everywhere in the world this happens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dominican Republic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are dominicans woman easy or just hard up for $... (Mar '12) Dec 18 lalalala 35
Anti-Haitian Bias Rooted in Dominican History (Mar '06) Dec 17 romance 12,329
Spain celebrates Columbus, descendants defend h... (May '06) Dec 17 clickjogos 67
why do black people always try to claim dominic... (Sep '12) Dec 12 Princess 75
Dominicans are ALL BLACK!!!! (May '14) Dec 12 Princess 10
I am Dominican, not black (May '12) Dec 12 Princess 307
Why Do Dominicans wish they were White? (Oct '11) Dec 12 Princess 864
More from around the web