is there racism in the dominican republic?

Posted in the Dominican Republic Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of183
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Galicianknight wrote:
<quoted text>
And the dark Puerto Ricans who are reffered to as morenos want to be North Africans. And the AA's who are reffered to as "redbones" want to be native americans
You're being facetious. The word "moreno" in Spanish means "dark skinned" or "brown skinned".

Since: Feb 10

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Indio means Indian, that is, either Indians of the Americas or east Indians. If the term is used to designate a color, why use the term "indio"? Such is unheard of in the rest of the Caribbean. It's just another way for Dominicans to deny their obvious African heritage.
This guy's arrogance is borderline stupid, who the hell are you to tell an entire nation how they should use a term?. Idiot!.
Edward

Sosúa, Dominican Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

I`m Dominican and I always say I`m black, even if my skin is referred to as light dark. We`re all blacks because we have a lot of African blood in us, and racism can be felt in the DR though not as much as in other countries. I see racist people as sick because it makes no sense in anyone`s mind. Though I understand that some rejection comes from cultural clashes in which some uneducated people make life difficult for the more educated ones, this is an issue governments should be more aware of, instead of just thinking how to get richer.
cool57

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

I have just, today come back from DR and, as a dark skinned BLACK woman from the UK, who is well educated and well travelled I found DR to be among the most RACIST place I have visited with the exception of Russia and perhaps Germany.

I paid £2000 for a one week visit for a friend and I. She was light skinned and the contrast between how we were treat was 'stark'. I was ignored by many reception and cleaning staff who would say 'halo' to my friend and other European visitors whilst they averted their eyes or just spoke to someone else when I came along.

My visit to DR was amongst the most degrading of my life and for those of you who justify your treatment of the Haiti's by referring to yourselves as Mullato, you should feel ashamed of your lack of acknowledgement of the slave trade and the fact that this is what brought about such a term and your being.

I will visit DR again because, to be honest, although this was my experience of the 'privileged''lighter skinned' resort workers the RUI tends to employ, whilst out of the resort, people 'in general' were more pleasant.

To be told stories of how the DR's admire white skin and would walk in the sun with umbrellas to avoid looking like chocolate or dried cocoa in the sun was insulting.

Nonetheless, when I visit again in 5 perhaps 10 years time and DR's find that their land prices have increased to a point they can't purchase it because they have so engraciated themselves to the Europeans / Americans - THAT THEY CAN'T PURCHASE FROM A SUPERMARKET IN THEIR OWN ISLAND - I suspect they'll come to a revelation or revolution - see Barbados guys - they were where you are 10 years ago - now they can't even get on a beach or own their own property. I really pity you all cos if you get to Europe you will find you're just another 'f--king n---er!'

Wake up and smell the roses and read - I am ashamed of you and your ignorance and never expected to have this experience in the Caribbean.

Look at the Internet, my experience is not isolated so please stop negating it - you're just adding insult to the injury.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

cool57 wrote:
I have just, today come back from DR and, as a dark skinned BLACK woman from the UK, who is well educated and well travelled I found DR to be among the most RACIST place I have visited with the exception of Russia and perhaps Germany.
I paid £2000 for a one week visit for a friend and I. She was light skinned and the contrast between how we were treat was 'stark'. I was ignored by many reception and cleaning staff who would say 'halo' to my friend and other European visitors whilst they averted their eyes or just spoke to someone else when I came along.
My visit to DR was amongst the most degrading of my life and for those of you who justify your treatment of the Haiti's by referring to yourselves as Mullato, you should feel ashamed of your lack of acknowledgement of the slave trade and the fact that this is what brought about such a term and your being.
I will visit DR again because, to be honest, although this was my experience of the 'privileged''lighter skinned' resort workers the RUI tends to employ, whilst out of the resort, people 'in general' were more pleasant.
To be told stories of how the DR's admire white skin and would walk in the sun with umbrellas to avoid looking like chocolate or dried cocoa in the sun was insulting.
Nonetheless, when I visit again in 5 perhaps 10 years time and DR's find that their land prices have increased to a point they can't purchase it because they have so engraciated themselves to the Europeans / Americans - THAT THEY CAN'T PURCHASE FROM A SUPERMARKET IN THEIR OWN ISLAND - I suspect they'll come to a revelation or revolution - see Barbados guys - they were where you are 10 years ago - now they can't even get on a beach or own their own property. I really pity you all cos if you get to Europe you will find you're just another 'f--king n---er!'
Wake up and smell the roses and read - I am ashamed of you and your ignorance and never expected to have this experience in the Caribbean.
Look at the Internet, my experience is not isolated so please stop negating it - you're just adding insult to the injury.
I am sorry that you experienced that ordeal. The Dominicans have been brain-washed into believing that they are not descendents of Africans and that they are superior to Haitains whom they hate. Galician Knight above is a proponent of this brain-washed propaganda.

Below is an article that you might find interesting regarding Dominicans and their denial:

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/af...
Dominican

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

i dont understand why ppl from other countries like this guy NOT REALLY, Loves to talk about somebody else country, society and idiocincracia. No one cant say we dont have african ancestry in our blood, but u cannot also denied we dont have european ancestry AKA spaniards. what these ppl failed to understand is that we are a mulato nation, no white nor a black nation. We dominicans, dont go to someone else country to tell them what they are, thats just plain disrespectful. You look like you have a campaing against dominicans Salon, cause all the links u post is about the same shit over and over again, its incredible that you make fun of the way that someone makes their living. Women no matter they race are vain, they just want to look better no matter what, this is why u see fake implants, fake nails, fake hair, botox, plastic surgery and many others things!
Dominican

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

cool57 wrote:
im sorry to hear that u felt this way, but at the same time i find hard to believe what u said, cause in tourist places in DR everyone is treat it like a king not matter their color of their skin.
Dominican

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

Judged:

Edward wrote:
I`m Dominican and I always say I`m black, even if my skin is referred to as light dark. We`re all blacks because we have a lot of African blood in us, and racism can be felt in the DR though not as much as in other countries. I see racist people as sick because it makes no sense in anyone`s mind. Though I understand that some rejection comes from cultural clashes in which some uneducated people make life difficult for the more educated ones, this is an issue governments should be more aware of, instead of just thinking how to get richer.
I AM DOMINICAN, AND I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PPL THINK ALL dominicans are black, because we also have european ancestry in us. THATS WHY WHEN I SAY IM DOMINICAN THEY MAKE A SURPRISE FACE.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

Dominican wrote:
i dont understand why ppl from other countries like this guy NOT REALLY, Loves to talk about somebody else country, society and idiocincracia. No one cant say we dont have african ancestry in our blood, but u cannot also denied we dont have european ancestry AKA spaniards. what these ppl failed to understand is that we are a mulato nation, no white nor a black nation. We dominicans, dont go to someone else country to tell them what they are, thats just plain disrespectful. You look like you have a campaing against dominicans Salon, cause all the links u post is about the same shit over and over again, its incredible that you make fun of the way that someone makes their living. Women no matter they race are vain, they just want to look better no matter what, this is why u see fake implants, fake nails, fake hair, botox, plastic surgery and many others things!
Your fellow Dominican GalicianKnight is a racist and spends his time on the Puerto Rico forum talking his racist rhetoric telling us about our history and defining what is Black and what is White in Puerto Rico. He says he is interested "in preserving his White heritage and culture." Dominicans are very race and color conscious and favor light skin color. Women are pressured to straighten their African hair. My position is: Who cares? We are all humans and the stigma of color associated with dark skin and the privilege associated with white skin is a vestige of the colonial past and should be discarded.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

Dominican wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM DOMINICAN, AND I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PPL THINK ALL dominicans are black, because we also have european ancestry in us. THATS WHY WHEN I SAY IM DOMINICAN THEY MAKE A SURPRISE FACE.
Most Black Americans have European ancestry also but are still considered "Black" by the White majority. Most Dominicans display the same African characteristics and by Western standards are considered "Black".

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Black Americans have European ancestry also but are still considered "Black" by the White majority. Most Dominicans display the same African characteristics and by Western standards are considered "Black".
Who care about "western standard" you idiot.

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Your fellow Dominican GalicianKnight is a racist and spends his time on the Puerto Rico forum talking his racist rhetoric telling us about our history and defining what is Black and what is White in Puerto Rico. He says he is interested "in preserving his White heritage and culture." Dominicans are very race and color conscious and favor light skin color. Women are pressured to straighten their African hair. My position is: Who cares? We are all humans and the stigma of color associated with dark skin and the privilege associated with white skin is a vestige of the colonial past and should be discarded.
Galician Knight does not represent all Dominicans.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Vacara wrote:
<quoted text>
Who care about "western standard" you idiot.
Who cares what you think MORON!!

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what you think MORON!!
Apparently you do!.
Dominican

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
GK, is stupid guy, and because he goes to pr forum to talk shit, doesnt mean all dominicans do the same thing, he is the minoritie... i have seen all the nonsense he post, just ignored him thats it. but anyways, it is not just in DR this thing, the standar of beauty has always been associated to "white skinny woman" look at barbie the most sell worlwide doll. In United state young girls wants to look like barbies, this is why so many girls have eating disorders, this is why black woman use fake hair or relaxed their hair, because they want to look like the patterns society established about beauty. so the problem it isnt in dominican society, we are just part of the influence. Just an example this cartoon movie the princess and the frog, the first cartoon movie with a black princess, always has been white blond princess. u can see it in all this fashion magazines, clothes everything.. so it is not in the past or just colony thing, is world thing and it is present.
cool57

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

Dominican wrote:
<quoted text>
GK, is stupid guy, and because he goes to pr forum to talk shit, doesnt mean all dominicans do the same thing, he is the minoritie... i have seen all the nonsense he post, just ignored him thats it. but anyways, it is not just in DR this thing, the standar of beauty has always been associated to "white skinny woman" look at barbie the most sell worlwide doll. In United state young girls wants to look like barbies, this is why so many girls have eating disorders, this is why black woman use fake hair or relaxed their hair, because they want to look like the patterns society established about beauty. so the problem it isnt in dominican society, we are just part of the influence. Just an example this cartoon movie the princess and the frog, the first cartoon movie with a black princess, always has been white blond princess. u can see it in all this fashion magazines, clothes everything.. so it is not in the past or just colony thing, is world thing and it is present.
You ignorant fools. I drive a Mercedes Sports car, have 5 properties across the world and earn in excess of £600 PER DAY. My dad is MIXED RACE (half White and Half Black - My mum is 100% BLACK) IN your country I may be termed as Cafe au Lait, but I look and feel BLACK. And for all you ignorant people trying to justify your RACISM, two UN reports can't be wrong. Plus, to be honest, none of you can look down on me, I can probably pay a week of your hotel's staff bill with my wage - YOU LOOK LIKE IGNORANT IDIOTS. KEEP PERMING YOUR HAIR WITH BLEACH and watch it FALL OUT in the long term. I AM ASHAMED THAT THE CARIBBEAN ASSOCIATES US. But watch, you're property values are high and getting higher - HOW MANY OF YOU CAN AFFORD TO BUY? WHITE PEOPLE ARE LAUGHING AT YOU!

Since: Mar 10

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

I'm Haitian and been living and working in the DR for 7 years now... and from experience I can tell ya'll that MOST of Dominicans are racist... plain and simple... nothing to do with "antihaitianismo" or "patriotismo" or whatever they freaking call it because it's not just that...'cause if it was cool57 would have never witnessed that crap... and this guy is wrong for quoting that in tourist places in DR everyone is treated like king or queens no matter their color of skin... in DR it is like this in theory only, but in real life is just BS... just take a trip to Punta Cana, Bavaro, Puerto Plata and venture in one of them shopping places and see how BLACK (non whites) tourists get looked at by local vendors... what cool57 experienced happens pretty much all the time... I grew up in Russia, spent most of my childhood there... they weren't used to see blacks back then in '89 (at least not in the city I lived) and I knew how to stand up for myself when one of them try to say shit about my color... but here in the DR when it is someone who is just as dark as I am talking that same primitive shit I'm just lost... because these same guys don't know that to an European eye they are NEGROES just as I would be.

so all of ya'll racist dominicans (Vacara, Dominican, GalicianKnight among others) up in here writing stuff and talking shit just have to stfu and admit that ya'll grew up in a racism environment and it's not your fault because since at a very young age ya'all been brain-washed into believing that to be black is to be ugly, is to be Haitian and ya'll should never embrace yar african roots, and as a dark-skinned dominican ya'll should describe yarselves as any of the dozen or so racial categories that date back hundreds of years -- Indian, burned Indian, dirty Indian, washed Indian, dark Indian, cinnamon, moreno or mulatto, but rarely negro.

not long ago I was got a call from the touristic police station (POLITUR) to translate for one russian guest that got robbed on her way from wherever she was coming from... her version was typical one of a shocked woman: she went out for a walk outside the resort, bought some souvenirs and was walking back to the hotel when two guys on a motorcycle rode by at snatched the bags from her hands... she described them as two black men... the police officer who was writing down the report shook his head and sighed "malditos haitianos" (F***ing haitians)... without realizing that for this russian lady, who is white, all the locals living on this island are BLACKS
Dominican

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

cool57 wrote:
<quoted text> You ignorant fools. I drive a Mercedes Sports car, have 5 properties across the world and earn in excess of £600 PER DAY. My dad is MIXED RACE (half White and Half Black - My mum is 100% BLACK) IN your country I may be termed as Cafe au Lait, but I look and feel BLACK. And for all you ignorant people trying to justify your RACISM, two UN reports can't be wrong. Plus, to be honest, none of you can look down on me, I can probably pay a week of your hotel's staff bill with my wage - YOU LOOK LIKE IGNORANT IDIOTS. KEEP PERMING YOUR HAIR WITH BLEACH and watch it FALL OUT in the long term. I AM ASHAMED THAT THE CARIBBEAN ASSOCIATES US. But watch, you're property values are high and getting higher - HOW MANY OF YOU CAN AFFORD TO BUY? WHITE PEOPLE ARE LAUGHING AT YOU!
what does this have to do with my comment.. anyways mercedes woman, i dont care how much u earn and whos white in ur family or black. i dont look down on u, i dont even know u, and if i look down on u wont be cause u are black,(BY THE WAY IF ONE OF UR PARENTS IS WHITE U ARE MULATA. U KNOW MULATOS THE MIX BTW WHITE AND BLACKS), it will be cause u are an arrogant persona! who goes to internet to talk about what u have.. WHO CARES AND WHO ASKED U.. LOL The monkey though dressed in silk, Monkey it is. GO IT!

AND WHO CARES what UN says, the should make that study in the U.S and OTHER BIG countries who are just as racist and more as dominican are. what a joke u are.
Dominican

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

krot wrote:
I'm Haitian and been living and working in the DR for 7 years now... and from experience I can tell ya'll that MOST of Dominicans are racist... plain and simple... nothing to do with "antihaitianismo" or "patriotismo" or whatever they freaking call it because it's not just that...'cause if it was cool57 would have never witnessed that crap... and this guy is wrong for quoting that in tourist places in DR everyone is treated like king or queens no matter their color of skin... in DR it is like this in theory only, but in real life is just BS... just take a trip to Punta Cana, Bavaro, Puerto Plata and venture in one of them shopping places and see how BLACK (non whites) tourists get looked at by local vendors... what cool57 experienced happens pretty much all the time... I grew up in Russia, spent most of my childhood there... they weren't used to see blacks back then in '89 (at least not in the city I lived) and I knew how to stand up for myself when one of them try to say shit about my color... but here in the DR when it is someone who is just as dark as I am talking that same primitive shit I'm just lost... because these same guys don't know that to an European eye they are NEGROES just as I would be.
so all of ya'll racist dominicans (Vacara, Dominican, GalicianKnight among others) up in here writing stuff and talking shit just have to stfu and admit that ya'll grew up in a racism environment and it's not your fault because since at a very young age ya'all been brain-washed into believing that to be black is to be ugly, is to be Haitian and ya'll should never embrace yar african roots, and as a dark-skinned dominican ya'll should describe yarselves as any of the dozen or so racial categories that date back hundreds of years -- Indian, burned Indian, dirty Indian, washed Indian, dark Indian, cinnamon, moreno or mulatto, but rarely negro.
not long ago I was got a call from the touristic police station (POLITUR) to translate for one russian guest that got robbed on her way from wherever she was coming from... her version was typical one of a shocked woman: she went out for a walk outside the resort, bought some souvenirs and was walking back to the hotel when two guys on a motorcycle rode by at snatched the bags from her hands... she described them as two black men... the police officer who was writing down the report shook his head and sighed "malditos haitianos" (F***ing haitians)... without realizing that for this russian lady, who is white, all the locals living on this island are BLACKS
Go back to Russia then... so it won amaze u so much.. lol Go back to Russia and tell the UN they are racist nation, and they look down on u cause the color of ur skin, just like ur ppl is doing to dominicans.
and im sorry to dissapoint u but im not racist. im not in here saying we are not racist or saying that racism doesnt exist.
one thing is black, another is white, another is mulato, another is haitian, another is dominican, another is russian, another is german.(white, caucasian, black, mulato= MIX BTW black and white) this the PART THAT U CANNOT UNDERSTAND.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Vacara wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you do!.
Apparently you have a brain hemorrhage.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of183
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Dominican Republic Forum right now

Search the Dominican Republic Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
I am Dominican, not black (May '12) 1 hr E_Irizarry_R_N_B_Singer 285
¡Canadá necesita a inmigrantes! (Jul '07) Thu JAVIER CASTRO 1,133
Are there any Puerto Ricans in the Dominican Re... (Jan '11) Apr 15 Platano 50
Is there anyone out there trying to conviece wi... (Aug '10) Apr 15 keylovey 63
Anti-Haitian Bias Rooted in Dominican History (Mar '06) Apr 14 New Black Panther NY 12,319
Are dominicans woman easy or just hard up for $... (Mar '12) Apr 11 truth 27
Why do Dominicans Practice Witcraft Voodoo Wicc... (Mar '13) Apr 8 RAPA TU MALDITA MADRE 23
•••
•••
•••
•••