is there racism in the dominican republic?

Posted in the Dominican Republic Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of189
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
INQUIRING MINDS

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

A lot has been written about the Dominican Republic and its historical culture of racism against Blacks and Haitians in its society. What is your take on it?
Vacara

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Judged:

There's no racism in Dominican Rep. Period.
tpmp

Old Bridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2010

Judged:

Vacara wrote:
There's no racism in Dominican Rep. Period.
He, he, he.LOL
RRS

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2010

I think in all cultures there is racism this is instilled in ignorance. I'm Puerto Rican not Dominican but racism is every where and it all goes back to ignorance.

Since: Feb 10

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2010

Judged:

RRS wrote:
I think in all cultures there is racism this is instilled in ignorance. I'm Puerto Rican not Dominican but racism is every where and it all goes back to ignorance.
Of course there's racism everywhere, but in DR its presence is so minimal you can almost say it's non existence. That is a fact, and I can prove it!.

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2010

Judged:

There is no racism in the Dominican Republic.

People claim that Dominicans refuse to identify as black, yet Dominicans don't identify as anything besides DOMINICAN, so how can they be RACE-ist if they don't believe in/care about RACE? Are the more afro-centrist countries not be more RACE-ist than the Dominican Republic?
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2010

Judged:

Galicianknight wrote:
People claim that Dominicans refuse to identify as black, yet Dominicans don't identify as anything besides DOMINICAN, so how can they be RACE-ist if they don't believe in/care about RACE? Are the more afro-centrist countries not be more RACE-ist than the Dominican Republic?
You are a racist Dominican. You hate Blacks.
RRS

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2010

Judged:

I have been to the DR there is racism in the DR if you are white tourist they kiss your ass and if you are not white they don't pay attention to you.
theone

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2010

Judged:

Galicianknight wrote:
no racism just anti-black. Indio, indio claro, trigueno all these designations have one purpose.
Brit Brat

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2010

My boyfriend is Dominican and I'm black...so he not races at all...but his family act races sometimes...but idk but i do know that racism is everywhere.
krot

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Judged:

Dominicans are one of the most racists country in the Caribbean... they claim that they are mostly anti-Haitians but not racist... they'll call themselves anything but black... a dominican will claim he's indio, mulatto, mestizo, criollo, blanco... he'd even claim he's green than admitting he's black... most of them finally realize that they ain't white until they reach the US or Europe... the reality hits them as they get the same treatment as the black people they were taught they are superior to

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2010

Judged:

theone wrote:
<quoted text>no racism just anti-black. Indio, indio claro, trigueno all these designations have one purpose.
Indio means anyone with light brown skin, lik a mulatto.

A Trigueno is an olive-skinned white person, so why would a Trigueno from the dominican republic identify as black?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2010

Judged:

krot wrote:
Dominicans are one of the most racists country in the Caribbean... they claim that they are mostly anti-Haitians but not racist... they'll call themselves anything but black... a dominican will claim he's indio, mulatto, mestizo, criollo, blanco... he'd even claim he's green than admitting he's black... most of them finally realize that they ain't white until they reach the US or Europe... the reality hits them as they get the same treatment as the black people they were taught they are superior to
73% of Dominicans (Non-Haitians) are Mulattos, so it makes sense that they would identify as mulattos rather than blacks, correct? And no Dominican would be refered to as an Indio or Blanco unless they are ACTUALLY indio (light brown skinned) or blanco (White). No Dominican in the right mind would consider someone with any melanin to their skin to be a blanco, and the ones that do would be ridiculed by most of them.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

krot wrote:
The truth is hard to swallow for a lot of people, especially GK.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

Galicianknight wrote:
<quoted text>
Indio means anyone with light brown skin, lik a mulatto.
A Trigueno is an olive-skinned white person, so why would a Trigueno from the dominican republic identify as black?
This explanationis just plain silly. Indios would be Tainos. There are no Taino Indians in the DR. Using that term by Dominicans is a way of denying their African heritage. Most do not have any Taino bloodline.
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

This explanation is just plain silly.

Since: Feb 10

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
This explanationis just plain silly. Indios would be Tainos. There are no Taino Indians in the DR. Using that term by Dominicans is a way of denying their African heritage. Most do not have any Taino bloodline.
For Dominicans; Indios doesn't mean race but rather skin color.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Indio has no correlation to Tainos. By your logic, Dark skinned Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Panamanians etc. are referred to as "morenos" to imply that they are of Moorish/North African descent?
NOT REALLY

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

Galicianknight wrote:
<quoted text>
Indio has no correlation to Tainos. By your logic, Dark skinned Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Panamanians etc. are referred to as "morenos" to imply that they are of Moorish/North African descent?
Indio means Indian, that is, either Indians of the Americas or east Indians. If the term is used to designate a color, why use the term "indio"? Such is unheard of in the rest of the Caribbean. It's just another way for Dominicans to deny their obvious African heritage.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

NOT REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Indio means Indian, that is, either Indians of the Americas or east Indians. If the term is used to designate a color, why use the term "indio"? Such is unheard of in the rest of the Caribbean. It's just another way for Dominicans to deny their obvious African heritage.
And the dark Puerto Ricans who are reffered to as morenos want to be North Africans. And the AA's who are reffered to as "redbones" want to be native americans

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of189
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Dominican Republic Forum right now

Search the Dominican Republic Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
From immigrant to MP: Three politicians reflect... Jun 30 engaging audiences 1
Why Do Most Dominicans Dislike Haitians? (Aug '12) Jun 30 Esteban Correa 72
From immigrant to MP: Three politicians reflect... Jun 29 already 1
Do Dominican men make good husbands? Not!!!!! (Mar '12) Jun 29 Latinaesmivida 150
Vatican ex-ambassador convicted of sex abuse Jun 29 Abu Mohammed 2
Why are African Americans so obsessed with Domi... (Jul '12) Jun 27 Betrayed 82
Now I Understand Puerto Ricans (Apr '12) Jun 26 mikeC 33
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••