Allentown to celebrate Dominican Republic independence day

Full story: The Morning Call

She settled, albeit gratefully, for a flag-raising ceremony hosted by the city of Allentown, usually on the closest Sunday to the holiday on Feb.
Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Jan 26, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
snowman Bath PA

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

If you, like those that desire to celebrate,cinco de mayo or st patricks day or columbus day etc because you miss your homeland, GO HOME. I am very happy to enjoy my days the FOURTH of JULY, MEMORIAL DAY, and VETERAN'S DAY. If you like your holidays and miss your homeland GO HOME .
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

WHY ???????

The Dominicans that live here should look to AMERICAN holidays, not the ones from the country they left.
Hmmmmm

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

I bet all of the MLB scouts will be at this one!
Mayor Nutter

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

why not celebrate the 4th of july with a parade....when was the last time Alletnown did that for the proud United States citizens
Norbert

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

From Wikipedia:
According to the 2005 Annual Report of the United Nations Subcommittee on Human Development in the Dominican Republic, the country is ranked #71 in the world for resource availability,# 79 for human development, and #14 in the world for resource mismanagement. These statistics emphasize national government corruption, foreign economic interference in the country, and the rift between the rich and poor.

Santiago de los Caballeros, the Second largest city in the country.The Dominican Republic has become trans-shipment point for South American drugs to Europe as well as the United States and Canada.[2] Money laundering is favored by Colombian drug cartels via the Dominican Republic for the ease of illicit financial transactions.

Swell. Open those borders, Big George!
Clayton Bigsby

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

The crime rate in the city will suddenly increase ten fold on this day. The MLB scouts will definitely be in town....that was a good one. Everybody buy stock in goya as well as it is expected to make a HUGE jump as well.
DISGUSTED IN ALLENTOWN

Croydon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

WHY ISN'T HERE A WHITE DAY PARADE? DOESN'T SEEM FAIR TO ME. ALL THE WELFARE TRANSPLANTS SHOULD ENCOURAGE THAT, IF WHITEY DIDN'T GO TO WORK THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO SIT ON THEIR STOOPS ALL DAY.
citizen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

Oh my gosh, I can't believe this. Go back to the Dominican Republic and you can celebrate all you want. We celebrate the 4th of July here. Why Allentown is the way it is????
Love it or leave it

Walnutport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

Reading this article made me want to puke. We know what their culture is about: garbage in the streets, raping the welfare system, gangbanging, drug dealing and no respect for anyone or their personal property. Instead of a celebration have an open season on them and send them packing! They contribute NOTHING!
billy barule

Slatington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

this is beyond words. ridiculous, absurd, preposotorous. words just don't do this nonsense justice. a parade for dominican republic indepence day??? yep, my father who fought in WWII constantly reiterates how he would have never went if he knew (the US) would turn out like this... land of the free = land of the handout...
ohman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

this is rediculous.....Im so out of here If these people miss there home country so much then go back.
comment

Seoul, Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

In general, Dominicans are hard working, family merchants. The mere fact that they have organized and from the list of people involved, this group seems to be looking for the American Dream and are making a contribution.

As for the enthnocentrist, there is nothing wrong with being aware of historical cultures, traditions, and pasts. If that were the case, most of you would be eating cornmeal for breakfast, rather than your artery clogging scrapple.

Embrace those who come, open up stores, and seek to have a good life in America.
William

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

Who are you kidding? The Dominicans left thier tropical island to take advantage of the free ride they get here in this liberal welfare state. We don't get the good ones.
Hard working family merchants your a$$
HistoryDominican

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

I have many American friends in the Dominican Republic. They celebrate their own American festivities in foreign land.

Most of you are ignorant and do not know your own history. The United States sent the marines to Santo Domingo, illegally and carrying arms from 1916 to 1924. In 1916, the peasantry fought back, but they lost. The Americans took their lands for pennies (they changed the land tenure system) and installed 16 sugar cane mills. They brought Haitians to worked in the sugar cane because Dominicans refused to work for pennies in the land that was taken away from them. Today, i/3 of the sugar cane production in the DR is american owned, a residual from 1916.

They formed an Army and left a dictator for 31 years, whom they supported and trained. Read "The Americans in Santo Domingo, a book in english written in 1928, by an American, melvin Knight. Read about the Nicaraguan invasion and the three generation of Zomosas that American installed. Read about Panama. It was part of colombia, and they divided the country to built the canna. Read Mexican history. They took half of mexican territory, and many mexicans found themselves from one day to the next invaded.

In 1965 they sent 42,000 Marines to the DR and killed 3,000 Dominicans. Read the first edition of the Latin American Working Group, from Canada. the picture and documentation of the invasion went around the world. Americans are hated in many parts of the world because of their invasions and greed.

Reading this column makes me sick. This land was taken unlawfully from the indigenous people of this continent, and now, Europeans that came to invade the land thank god for the bounty they stole from others, and asked immigrants from countries colonized by their armies, to go back to their countries.

Racism is rotting your minds.
harlem

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

Judged:

David-1206 wrote:
WHY ???????
The Dominicans that live here should look to AMERICAN holidays, not the ones from the country they left.
stop suckin us!!!!
Michelle

Flowery Branch, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

you're just jealous
b/c without dominicans america would suck :D
ShockedAmerican

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Judged:

After the civil rights era that America has been through, there are still Americans who have this bigoted mentality which only restrains our ability for growth.
The Dude

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Judged:

This is just what a broke city needs. More lowlives turning the city into a bigger garbage dump than it already is. Who is going to pay for the clean up? Who is going to pay for the added police protection?

I want a WHITE PRIDE parade in Allentown. I want it paid for by the thousands of welfare mooches from the various "islands" that choose to disgrace America with thier presence.

This is total fu#king bullsh!t.
Common Sense

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2009

Judged:

all you people are disgusting. Why don't you tell your ancestors that. You know, the one's who enslaved, killed and raped the TRUE americans. America is the land of the free. A group of people can do what they please. If you want to push your white supremecy bullshit go ahead, that's what america's about.
The Dude

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

Judged:

Common Sense wrote:
all you people are disgusting. Why don't you tell your ancestors that. You know, the one's who enslaved, killed and raped the TRUE americans. America is the land of the free. A group of people can do what they please. If you want to push your white supremecy bullshit go ahead, that's what america's about.
It's to bad they didn't enslave you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dominican Republic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is there anyone out there trying to conviece wi... (Aug '10) Aug 19 Beba 65
Family of Merrimack drowning victim looking for... Aug 19 Sanchez 2
Are dominicans woman easy or just hard up for $... (Mar '12) Aug 14 betrayed 30
Anti-Haitian Bias Rooted in Dominican History (Mar '06) Aug 11 betrayed 12,321
Racism Causes Young Suicide (Mar '13) Aug 11 betrayed 10
Get Your wishes fulfilled,Money,Fame,Lottery,Lo... (Nov '11) Aug 8 chris 11
Customer Service and the Golden Rules Aug 5 ARC Pointe Call C... 1

Search the Dominican Republic Forum:
•••