How Asil Nadir got his big break

Aug 22, 2012 Full story: BBC News 61

Former tycoon Asil Nadir has been convicted by a British court of stealing millions of pounds from his Polly Peck business empire.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Rachel

Guildford, UK

#1 Aug 22, 2012
As I said yesterday Turkish Cypriots, the stolen north of Cyprus was shared out (unequally) to those who curried favour with Turkey.

This was done in your name by Turkey, are you happy to be continually labeled as thieves and cheats due to people like this?

R
Tc In London

Loughton, UK

#2 Aug 23, 2012
Rachel wrote:
As I said yesterday Turkish Cypriots, the stolen north of Cyprus was shared out (unequally) to those who curried favour with Turkey.
This was done in your name by Turkey, are you happy to be continually labeled as thieves and cheats due to people like this?
R
he didnt do anything different that all high ranking business hasent done

in fact it was the government & the stock exchange at the time that helped him grow so much in such a short time
Rachel

Guildford, UK

#3 Aug 23, 2012
Tc In London wrote:
<quoted text>
he didnt do anything different that all high ranking business hasent done
in fact it was the government & the stock exchange at the time that helped him grow so much in such a short time
How many "high ranking businesses" do you know that were GIVEN thousands of acres of stolend land and properties?

R
Agamemnon

UK

#4 Aug 23, 2012
Asil Nadir is simply an example of how some rich people work. Let us not forget Robert Maxwell who ended up raiding his company's pension fund.
Perhaps some TCs can correct me, but I also read that Nadir owes/owed 11mil to the TC authorities in taxes.
Rich people play by different rules. Most are able to succeed in hiding the taxable income and some get caught. You may recall that a recent survey by auditors estimated that up to $30Tr is being hidden in swiss and other such like accounts which means that about $300bil in taxes is being avoided.
Interestingly, and I would like any TCs or Turks that have any more information on this, I have read that Wikileaks said that Mr Erdogan has 6 or 8 swiss bank accounts.
Tc In London

Loughton, UK

#5 Aug 23, 2012
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
How many "high ranking businesses" do you know that were GIVEN thousands of acres of stolend land and properties?
R
rachel asil nadir at the time was a saviour for Tc`s

giving employment for all the Tcs on the island

but time showed us that he was really helping himself

REGARDING STOLEN LANDS

is there nobody using Tturkish cypriot lands in the south for benefit???

be carefull when answering

AND BY THE WAY THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT GAVE A LOT OF TURKISH CYPRIOT LANDS TO HIGH RANKING GREEKS ON THE ISLAND WHEN THEY WAS RUNNING THE SHOW

THERE IS PROOF OF THIS

look at greece with all the crooked dealing they have been doing for years

there is no difference
Tc In London

Loughton, UK

#6 Aug 23, 2012
and by the way look at the sentence

10 years does less then 5

this is a slap on the hand thats all
PIRATIS

Cyprus

#7 Aug 23, 2012
Tc In London wrote:
<quoted text>
No one by his choice.
Rachel

Guildford, UK

#8 Aug 23, 2012
Tc In London wrote:
<quoted text>
REGARDING STOLEN LANDS
AND BY THE WAY THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT GAVE A LOT OF TURKISH CYPRIOT LANDS TO HIGH RANKING GREEKS ON THE ISLAND WHEN THEY WAS RUNNING THE SHOW
THERE IS PROOF OF THIS
there is no difference
I would like to see the proof that you speak of, you can't just take land and give it away to someone else (unless you are Turkey).

As I have said many times before, most of the Turkish property in the south is still vacant, you are just not allowed to touch it (im sure that there are a few exceptions , but that is the norm). Whereas, there is a huge difference in what Turkey has done, by stealing a huge and disproportonate piece of Cyprus by force and giving it out to whoever pays the biggest bribe.

R
PIRATIS

Cyprus

#9 Aug 23, 2012
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to see the proof that you speak of, you can't just take land and give it away to someone else (unless you are Turkey).
As I have said many times before, most of the Turkish property in the south is still vacant, you are just not allowed to touch it (im sure that there are a few exceptions , but that is the norm). Whereas, there is a huge difference in what Turkey has done, by stealing a huge and disproportonate piece of Cyprus by force and giving it out to whoever pays the biggest bribe.
R
Re Rachel you are forgetting one thing though.
For Turks stealing properties and using them as if they are their own is the norm.
Just look at their history.
Right TC in London?
Dervis Eroglu

Turkey

#10 Aug 23, 2012
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
R
Just a quick example,, Larnaka airport is built on stolen land.
and this is the Greek government. not even a business man.
Tc In London

Loughton, UK

#11 Aug 23, 2012
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
R
Rachel the diff is this

Turkey says 20th july 1974 cyprus situation was fixed

Grek cypriots say 1963 cyprus situation was sorted pls lets go back to 1963 take your gurantors of so that you cant come and save the tc when we dont give them rights again ( we can allways blind the eu -Because this is the christian club - thye close there eyes when its muslims being killed

greece says we tried on the 15th of july but got f@cked its up to you Gc to sort yourselves out we will allways be behind you but wont fight for you we will object everything in the eu etc etc

what they havent realised is the goal posta have all changed and turkey dosnt need the Eu Carrot anymore
Tc In London

Loughton, UK

#12 Aug 23, 2012
PIRATIS wrote:
<quoted text>Re Rachel you are forgetting one thing though.
For Turks stealing properties and using them as if they are their own is the norm.
Just look at their history.
Right TC in London?
not right piratis

turks havent stole anything they spilt blood

it is called the spoils of war

every nation has had it look at greece without wining they expanded there borders in the second world war at the expense of other nations
Observer

Limassol, Cyprus

#13 Aug 23, 2012
"Dervis Eroglu"

----------

You made that claim more than once Dervis knowing damn well that every government in the world has the right by law to confiscate, indemnify or expropriate private land in its domain for reasons of public benefit or military reasons.
Right now there are thousands of acres of Greek Cypriot land that the Cyprus government took over for road construction, hospital and other common use buildings, water dams, airports, sea ports and other common benefit projects. Much of that land was compensated and as much was taken but the compensation is still due to the previous owners, plus 9% interest from the time of the transfer until payment is made.
What did you want the government to do? Compensate and pay the Turkish Cypriots first and forget about the Greek Cypriots?
The owner of the land where the airport in question had been constructed will be compensated plus interest when his time comes.
As things are now no one will get paid in the near future, due to the economic crisis but when it is over all money due from the government of Cyprus to the rightfull owners will be settled.
And while we are discussing the "Larnaca International Airport", it is good to know when the rightfull Greek Cypriot owners of the "Ergan Airport" land that you have built in the north will be paid their money. If you cannot answer you better shut up.
It is about time to realise that 'common thieves' are deprived of many rights, and this is what you are to the whole world. Common thieves!!
Observer

Limassol, Cyprus

#14 Aug 23, 2012
About Asil Nadir's jail sentence. 24,August,2012.
He got ten years and he will serve only five.
A few months later he will be released on grounds of bad health and go home. This is what half a million of stolen money given as a contribution to the conservative party buys.
The trial was arranged and the 'independant British judiciary' went along with the politicians who staged the whole thing just as I have described above.
Nadir will appeal this sentence and he will be released on bail to live a free life. By the time his appeal comes up for trial, together with the games that lawyers play, he will be nearing eighty years of age. By then the conservatives will be in power again and they will deliver the remaining of their favor by saying that he is too old and frail and too sick to be put in jail.
Meantime, from now till the end of his life Nadir will become again an active bussinessman and benefactor of certain oxfam type organizations from the same money he stole so many years ago.
If you do not believe me wait a few months and you will see how right I am.
Logic also says that a seventy year old man does not voluntarily risk a jail sentense of several years unless he has everything fixed the way he wants. Besides it is not a secret that Nadir was in negotiations with the British government for over a year now, bargaining the maximum sentense he will be given if he chooses to return to Britain.
This will be the final blow of the mighty independent British justice, after the compromise they have accepted in conceiting part of their sovereignity to the Islamists allowing them to set up their own Shariah courts inside Britain.
I cannot think of a bigger humiliation for any justice system anywhere in the world. And all this for the six percent of the single Islamic vote that the mullas control. Poor England !! How low did the Lord justices got you. Congratulations.
Dervis Eroglu

Turkey

#15 Aug 23, 2012
Observer wrote:
"Dervis Eroglu"
----------
You made that claim more than once Dervis knowing damn well that every government in the world has the right by law to confiscate, indemnify or expropriate private land in its domain for reasons of public benefit or military reasons.
Right now there are thousands of acres of Greek Cypriot land that the Cyprus government took over for road construction, hospital and other common use buildings, water dams, airports, sea ports and other common benefit projects. Much of that land was compensated and as much was taken but the compensation is still due to the previous owners, plus 9% interest from the time of the transfer until payment is made.
What did you want the government to do? Compensate and pay the Turkish Cypriots first and forget about the Greek Cypriots?
The owner of the land where the airport in question had been constructed will be compensated plus interest when his time comes.
As things are now no one will get paid in the near future, due to the economic crisis but when it is over all money due from the government of Cyprus to the rightfull owners will be settled.
And while we are discussing the "Larnaca International Airport", it is good to know when the rightfull Greek Cypriot owners of the "Ergan Airport" land that you have built in the north will be paid their money. If you cannot answer you better shut up.
It is about time to realise that 'common thieves' are deprived of many rights, and this is what you are to the whole world. Common thieves!!
What did you want the government to do? Compensate and pay the Turkish Cypriots first and forget about the Greek Cypriots?unquote""

Sure I didn't expect Turkish Cypriots to come first before the Greeks, that is something that never happened, if it ever did happen I be shocked and very much concerned.

compulsory purchase, and compulsory acquisition by governments
is not something new, compulsory purchasing and compensating the title deed owners is also quite normal providing the owners are kept informed of the situation, in both of our cases this is not true both sides confiscate lands without the owners knowledge which makes it illegal.
I for one have always maintained whilst there is no peaceful solution what ever property left behind should belong to that side until such time there is a peaceful agreement and the property issues are dealt with. or as you say when the time comes.
Dervis Eroglu

Turkey

#16 Aug 23, 2012
Observer wrote:
About Asil Nadir's jail sentence. 24,August,2012.
He got ten years and he will serve only five.
A few months later he will be released on grounds of bad health and go home. This is what half a million of stolen money given as a contribution to the conservative party buys.
The trial was arranged and the 'independant British judiciary' went along with the politicians who staged the whole thing just as I have described above.
Nadir will appeal this sentence and he will be released on bail to live a free life. By the time his appeal comes up for trial, together with the games that lawyers play, he will be nearing eighty years of age. By then the conservatives will be in power again and they will deliver the remaining of their favor by saying that he is too old and frail and too sick to be put in jail.
Meantime, from now till the end of his life Nadir will become again an active bussinessman and benefactor of certain oxfam type organizations from the same money he stole so many years ago.
If you do not believe me wait a few months and you will see how right I am.
Logic also says that a seventy year old man does not voluntarily risk a jail sentense of several years unless he has everything fixed the way he wants. Besides it is not a secret that Nadir was in negotiations with the British government for over a year now, bargaining the maximum sentense he will be given if he chooses to return to Britain.
This will be the final blow of the mighty independent British justice, after the compromise they have accepted in conceiting part of their sovereignity to the Islamists allowing them to set up their own Shariah courts inside Britain.
I cannot think of a bigger humiliation for any justice system anywhere in the world. And all this for the six percent of the single Islamic vote that the mullas control. Poor England !! How low did the Lord justices got you. Congratulations.
Let me agitate your fears little bit more ,
There is all the chance in the world that the appeal court might
quash his sentence and send him home. it happens all the time
in British Justice,
John

Cyprus

#17 Aug 23, 2012
Tc In London wrote:
<quoted text>
REGARDING STOLEN LANDS
THERE IS PROOF OF THIS
there is no difference
Turkish Cypriot land in the south is managed by the Republic of Cyprus. Refugees from the north are allowed to live in abandoned
TC houses and use abandoned TC property at the governments discretion.

This property can NOT be bought and anyone using it is doing so temporarily.

Turkish Cypriots own such a small percentage of land here that many benefit by the GC community is insignificant really. The big loss is by GCs in the north who own over 80% of the land.
Observer

Limassol, Cyprus

#19 Aug 23, 2012
"Dervis Eroglu"
Let me agitate your fears little bit more ,
There is all the chance in the world that the appeal court might
quash his sentence and send him home. it happens all the time
in British Justice,

----------

Yes it does. Especially when there is some kind of agreement reached between the politicians the judiciary and the other crook.
One thing is sure, he will not serve a jail sentence.
Observer

Limassol, Cyprus

#20 Aug 23, 2012
"Dervis Eroglu"
What did you want the government to do? Compensate and pay the Turkish Cypriots first and forget about the Greek Cypriots?unquote""
Sure I didn't expect Turkish Cypriots to come first before the Greeks, that is something that never happened, if it ever did happen I be shocked and very much concerned.
compulsory purchase, and compulsory acquisition by governments
is not something new, compulsory purchasing and compensating the title deed owners is also quite normal providing the owners are kept informed of the situation, in both of our cases this is not true both sides confiscate lands without the owners knowledge which makes it illegal.
I for one have always maintained whilst there is no peaceful solution what ever property left behind should belong to that side until such time there is a peaceful agreement and the property issues are dealt with. or as you say when the time comes.

----------

The law says that the government must notify the owner of the land by letter and by publishing in the daily newspapers. If the owner has moved to another country and did not respond to the notification in time, the confiscation takes place and when the owner appears he gets his money. This is the law. I had land that belonged to me confiscated and I should know. So, everything was done the legal way.
PIRATIS

Cyprus

#21 Aug 24, 2012
Tc In London wrote:
<quoted text>
every nation has had it look at greece without wining they expanded there borders in the second world war at the expense of other nations
The difference is that Turkey conquered land that did not belong to her, whereas Greece took back some of its already stolen land (and there is still a lot of Greek land which is under occupation).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cyprus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cyprus President says won't return to 'dialogue... 43 min don fck wid murrican 196
Greece boosts navy mission amid spat with Turkey 4 hr Mkz6 4
Anastasiades: We cannot participate in dialogue... 10 hr greek 23
Venizelos slams Turkey for 'flagrant violation ... 20 hr greek 16
Turkey en route to destruction Wed greek 4
Cyprus will unite with Mother Greece Wed greek 81
Book brands Kissinger a war criminal Tue greek 34

Cyprus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE