TGi

Since: Apr 14

Toronto, Canada

#5665 Jun 7, 2014
Hello everyone!
I just recently returned form my first trip to CR. I think, that my experience can be useful for some of you.

My doctor is Dr. Obando. First time I contacted him on February 20th, and exactly 3 months later, on May 20th I've been sitting on a plane heading south to the CR.

I had probably one on of the complicated cases compared to many of yours. Or may be I just think so.

So, I had an extensive surgery - extractions, bone grafts, 2 sinus lifts and 11 implants in both jaws. I decided to choose an IV sedation for my surgery and I am glad that I took that route. It was great that I didn't remember a thing, except two "windows" at the very end of the surgery, when I became conscious. If you watched Men in Black, then you know how they flash your memory. It is exactly the same thing but done differently. ;) After the surgery I even felt refreshed like after a good afternoon nap. No kidding. My headache, which was very bad in the morning had gone and I was good to go.:)

After my surgery my doctor prescribed me 3 types of medicine- analgetic (painkiller), noninflammatory and antibiotic. On the next day I did not feel any pain. It was kind of surprising, because my surgery was rather invasive.

On the 2-nd day I developed an allergy as I think to antibiotic (the first time in my life). Or may be it was just a cumulative factor, consisting from 3 types of medicine,+ sun,+ poor diet ... and who knows what else. On the 3-d day my allergy became even more severe, I called to my doctor (on Saturday, using his cellphone number), and got an instruction to stop that antibiotic until Monday, when doctor prescribed me another antibiotic, because he thought that I need it as I had two sinus lifts. So I ended up with new antibiotic and a medicine from allergy.

On the second week of my trip I received my temporary "set" as I prefer to call it. Nothing to be excited about, but I was happy, as I smiled to myself thinking about new 11 puppies in my mouse, sitting and waiting for their time to be transformed to the beautiful teeth in some period of time. Actually I need to wait 8-9 months for my second trip. When your upper jaw (maxilla) becomes perforated like a styrofoam, you will learn how to be patient and not to rush into the second stage of your treatment, even if you'd like to do it asap.

And the last , but not least - i would like to thank everyone on this board, online reviews and in PM, who shared your experience and gave so many good advices re medical part as well as just travel tips to CR. I am so grateful to all the information, which I found on this thread, that I honestly can say - without your help and support it would not have been possible. Thanks a bunch!

= Toronto Girl
RKingsQueen

Chicago, IL

#5666 Jun 9, 2014
Still searching for zirconium implants.

So far, Dr Castro said they use titanium but will have Dr Anglada contact me about my allergies.

Nova Dental only uses titanium....which was surprising because Dr Obando has information on his website showing the advantages of using zirconium implants??? Oh well.

Dr Cavallini uses zirconium, so he may be my only choice. I was trying to avoid a long wait time, but I might not have a choice!

For those that chose Dr Cavallini, anyone stayed at the Casa Marco guest house instead of a hotel? Wondering if it is worth the $

TGi

Since: Apr 14

Toronto, Canada

#5667 Jun 9, 2014
RKingsQueen wrote:
Still searching for zirconium implants...
Nova Dental only uses titanium....which was surprising because Dr Obando has information on his website showing the advantages of using zirconium implants??? Oh well.
Actually I have asked that exact question Dr. Obando in his clinic just one week ago.:) After my surgery.:)
His response was that titanium has a long history of clinical success, not only in dental implantology, but also in orthopedy and neurochirurgie. And that is a reason that he wants to provide a long term solution for his patients.

Implant, particularly in my case - type TSV (tapered screw vent), has 10+ years of 95-99% of documented success and its documented record of achieving higher initial stability than many of its competitors.
No, I did not get this information from his words, I got it from the article in the international magazine of oral implantology "Implants".(#3, 2012).- I just answered your question why Dr. Obando prefers to work with titanium implants.

That being said, I understand your concern regarding your allergy to metal and your willingness to find an alternative option for your case.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#5668 Jun 10, 2014
RKingsQueen wrote:
So far, Dr Castro said they use titanium but will have Dr Anglada contact me about my allergies.
Dr Cavallini uses zirconium, so he may be my only choice. I was trying to avoid a long wait time, but I might not have a choice!
For those that chose Dr Cavallini, anyone stayed at the Casa Marco guest house instead of a hotel? Wondering if it is worth the $
Check out my comments in post #4065 page 197. Being at the Casa Marco is like being called in your bedroom and then you going downstairs with no waiting. Also RJ has some pictures of Casa Marco on his website which is listed above his avatar.
lilmsnoitall

Aiken, SC

#5670 Jun 11, 2014
Sr11B wrote:
I am so happy to have found this forum!
There is so much information, that I didn't think about.
My issues are a bit different from anything that I have read here.
I need crowns on the lower teeth, and a denture on the top. I have been wearing a denture since the 70's (motorcycle accident), and didn't know about bone lose, it you don't get implants.
I want porcelain teeth in my denture, and on my lower crowns.
I visited Dr. Meza's office last week, after sending home my ex rays and 3d images of my upper palate.
He wasn't there, but I talked to Dr Marin.
She doesn't want to use porcelain. She insists that acrylic is better.
Does anyone here have experience with dentures made in Costa Rica?
Thanks,
Sharon
Did she give you a reason for her suggestion? Maybe you need to check out another dentist Sharon if you don't get resolution. There are many really good ones there.:)

“thedentaltourist .com”

Since: Jul 13

Santa Cruz born. Now in Oregon

#5672 Jun 11, 2014
Sr11B wrote:
That's what I was thinking!!
I sent an email to Dr Prada, still waiting.
So much to learn about this, I could be my own dentist:-)
Prada was out of the country and attending a seminar here in the States. Not sure if he is back yet so be patient regarding the reply.

“thedentaltourist .com”

#5674 Jun 12, 2014
Sr11B wrote:
Thank you, RJ. I heard from Maria yesterday. She said that he would review my files, and get back to me.
Do all the dentists that you worked with, use middle men???
Drives me crazy.
Sharon
Middle men? You mean the patient coordinator or clinic receptionist? All you need to do is request a call back from Dr Prada and he will get a hold of you. I'ts no different than dealing with a dental clinic in the states. Actually it's better because if you want to talk to a U.S. dentist you need to make an appointment to come and see them and will always deal with a receptionist over the phone. Prada and other CR dentists are busy all day working on patients. As soon as one is done, another is getting in the chair. So they have to have a patient cordinator in order to respond to a potential patient in a timely manner. Usually if a doctor is giving you a call back it's going to be on their break between patients which isn't too often.
Calikeen

Oakville, Canada

#5676 Jun 12, 2014
I am thinking of cr for a full upper permanent bridge and some on the bottom it's all so confusing is there anyone you would recommend I was thinking of dr. Meza
LJ Calgary

Calgary, Canada

#5677 Jun 12, 2014
Donna wrote:
Am back from second (last) treatment. Before I got my 24 crowns, Dr. Marco wanted to move one of my front implants for a better fit.
Bottom line, it was a harder trip than the first one. Like RJ says in his blog, there is some pain involved in the fitting process that can't be avoided. I had novocaine for the last installations and that helped.
My teeth are beautiful. They aren't chicklets, but have size variations and are white. I got the lowest of the bleach colors, which I recommend for those of us who love red wine, black coffee and blueberries.
The estimate for my work was 16K. I didn't need everything on the estimate, so with less work and a cash discount I paid 13,800 for my full mouth restoration.
Oh, and for the vacation part in the middle of the trip we stayed at an oceanfront rental house in Ojochal that was off the charts. We didn't do much in the way of sightseeing but got some real rest and relaxation.
We met CathRN, too and she is so smart and kind. I'm sure she will check in here with her experience at some point.
All the best to everyone.
hi Donna couple quick questions. do you know the code for the lowest of the whitened shades you chose? and also how many implants did you have in total and were the implant crowns included in your 24? finally cash discount means paying cash versus credit card which I assume is only other option. what is percentage discount for cash? thank you very much! LJ

“thedentaltourist .com”

#5678 Jun 13, 2014
Calikeen wrote:
I am thinking of cr for a full upper permanent bridge and some on the bottom it's all so confusing is there anyone you would recommend I was thinking of dr. Meza
Calikeen....I've heard good things regarding Meza. He is a bit more expensive though. He is now teamed up with Dr Aborn who is an American dentist from NY who moved is practice down to CR years ago and who is very much respected among his peers down there. A good team at Meza.
Donna

Parrish, FL

#5679 Jun 13, 2014
Hi LJ. Don't know any code for the color. It was in the bleach group and the darkest one of those. The lighter ones were too glow in the dark for me, but the "normal" ones wouldn't hold up to my food preferences.

I have 11 implants and the 24 crowns include everything. Cash discount is 3 per cent.

Hope this helps.
Calikeen

Oakville, Canada

#5680 Jun 13, 2014
Thank you for the information would you recommend the dentis that you used. What made you decide on CR vs other destination

“thedentaltourist .com”

#5681 Jun 13, 2014
Calikeen wrote:
Thank you for the information would you recommend the dentis that you used. What made you decide on CR vs other destination
I of course would HIGHLY recommend my dentist. It was the best dental experience of my life! There are many great dentists in CR...and some not so great. Research is key!

I chose CR over Mexico due to level of training, the reviews and experiences of others that I spoke with, level of skill, and so on.
Bluenoser

Dartmouth, Canada

#5682 Jun 14, 2014
Calikeen wrote:
I went to CR in February and was so pleased. Have a look at the following website, the whole process is detailed with lots of information www.lowcostdentaloptions.com
Bluenoser

Dartmouth, Canada

#5683 Jun 14, 2014
Sr11B wrote:
Thank you, RJ. I heard from Maria yesterday. She said that he would review my files, and get back to me.
Do all the dentists that you worked with, use middle men???
Drives me crazy.
Sharon
Sharon have a look at the following website.....I went to CR in February and these dentists get back to you RIGHT away. I was so happy with the entire process and highly recommend.
www.lowcostdentaloptions.com
Bluenoser

Dartmouth, Canada

#5684 Jun 14, 2014
RKingsQueen wrote:
After reading everyones helpful info here, I am finally considering a trip to Costa Rica for my dental. My only issue is that I have a severe metal allergy and need zirconium implants. Every dentist I have read about uses titanium. Anyone know how I might be able to find a dentist that doesn't use the titanium implants?
Hi There : I went to CR in February and was over the moon with my dentist.The professionalism, cost and results were amazing. Yes this dentist does also use the non metal zirconium implants.Have a read through the following website and send me an email. www.lowcostdentaloptions.com
Bluenoser

Dartmouth, Canada

#5685 Jun 14, 2014
RKingsQueen wrote:
Replied to your earlier post on June 4th. Have a look.
Cheers
Bluenoser

Dartmouth, Canada

#5686 Jun 14, 2014
Shirley wrote:
You are having too much fun to be doing dental.
From the picture it looks like you got 7 implants. Do you still have the 4 crowns in the back?
Big question - How much did it cost?
Everyone talks about everything except how much they paid??
Yes Shirley I know. When I was sitting in my dentists office I never before met so many happy people ! The dentists I used were absolutely fabulous. Everyone was pleased with their outcomes and the procedure. I had 4 implants, 3 extractions, some bone grafting and the total cost was $3000. I go back in August to have the permanent abutments and crowns and that will be $1200. So a grand total of $4200. No pain...no real discomfort. Amazing dentists. One of the gals I met while there had pretty much a full mouth restoration. She had been quoted $80,000 in the US, and I believe her final bill came to about $14,000. Have a look at this website www.lowcostdentaloptions.com and send me an email if you want more details.
Bluenoser

Dartmouth, Canada

#5687 Jun 14, 2014
apokalipse wrote:
Thanks for your post RJ!!! The topics you covered are very, very helpful to us who are considering dental work done in Costa Rica.
If you are thinking about CR for dental work, I created a webpage and documented my journey. Just because I was sooo pleased and wanted to share my story. I didn't know about this forum at the time. So for an interesting read , go to my website at www.lowcostdentaloptions.com
If you seriously are thinking about CR ...my advice GO !!!

Since: Jan 14

Helen,Ga

#5688 Jun 14, 2014
Bluenoser wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are thinking about CR for dental work, I created a webpage and documented my journey. Just because I was sooo pleased and wanted to share my story. I didn't know about this forum at the time. So for an interesting read , go to my website at www.lowcostdentaloptions.com
If you seriously are thinking about CR ...my advice GO !!!
Very nice website I have also made my phone number available for anyone who is considering CR dental for no other reason than paying it forward...I am also extremely satisfied with my Costa Rica dental experience and used the same clinic as you.Anyone want to chat about it PM me and I will send you my cell phone number.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Costa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
...WOW.....Food...Factor.... (Aug '11) 21 hr Martin garey 6
Raul Castro says U.S. must return Guantanamo to... Thu Doc Proper 1
Cure Type 2 diabetes in Costa Rica (Jun '10) Thu Soda23 4
dental implants (Mar '11) Wed jax23willis 82
bathroom business Wed Martin garey 1
Brother sells t-shirts to raise money for journ... (Jul '10) Jan 28 Martin garey 2
girls sexually harassing boys Jan 28 Martin garey 1
More from around the web