Since: Oct 13

Beaverton, OR

#4754 Oct 27, 2013
Chicago Dave wrote:
Ima:
Be sure to post updates on your work with Dr. Kaver! Maybe even start up a personal blog of your experiences, a single place where the curious can go to read about it.
I like following folks who post here *before* setting foot in C.R. It seems more believable to me...no "selection bias" in which only very satisfied patients post.
Blobz: I think that problems with PFZ crowns depend on how well the lab makes the crown. You can always ask the dentist what his experience is with PFZ crowns chipping/peeling/delaminating. And what's his guarantee in case they do?
RJ is right to mention a nightguard. If you grind your teeth at night, then even well-made crowns will give you problems. I have worn a nightguard for 16 years. It's not a big deal.
I applaud you for being able to wear a night guard everyday for 16 years. My local dentist charged me several hundred dollars for a night guard that was made out of supper hard plastic that was so bulky. It was so uncomfortable to wear I started getting insomnia and headache. Since then, I've given up on wearing it.

Since: Mar 13

Richmond Hill, GA

#4755 Oct 27, 2013
ImaCuriousGirl wrote:
Two weeks in CR is freaking me out...Sorry, but it's a little disconcerting. It seems sooooo long. If my family were coming, it would be great, but they can not.
Homesick is kicking in already...and I haven't even left yet. A week wouldn't be so bad, but two....UGH
Just need to go, keep my eye on the ball, and be done with it. Once I'm there, I'm there. lol
I'm with you on this one, Ima.

I'm not one who likes to branch too far away from the old homestead. Heck I don't even like driving into town. I was in Costa Rica last June and one week in was plenty for me, but now I'm looking at two full weeks in a foreign country. Dude the anxiety is already setting in. However, like you, I am excited about getting this dental journey over and done, so I'm girding my loins putting on my big girl panties manning-up and getting ready to tough it out.

I almost starved to death last time I was in Costa Rica. I never adjusted to the food. I mean, after eating at Rusty Pollo (or whatever the hell the name of it is) two or three dozen times, things get old. Oh and Costa Rican Coca-Cola, don't even get me started on that! It is freakin' nasty! The intense smells inside the central market (raw, freshly butchered meat and strong smelling spices) took away my appetite for a couple of days. If it wasn't for the food court at the Multiplex (mall) in Escazu, I might not have survived. I was totally wasting away to nothing. Seriously. All I needed were a few flies flying around my head and I could have starred in a Feed the Children commercial.

Hopefully, I will branch out my exploration of the country between dental appointments. Maybe visit the rain forest maybe the beach maybe the volcano . whatever anything to kill time. People keep talking about a zip line thing maybe I'll do that, but really . what could be so special about a zip line? I just don't get it.

Ima I will be flying out on November 4th and will fly back on November 19th. If you happen to be there at the same time, look me up I'll be at the Cristina.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Since: Jun 11

The Triangle, NC

#4756 Oct 27, 2013
Blobz: I've actually had two different styles of nightguard. My earlier one fit over only the six upper front teeth. My newer nightguard (made in C.R.) fits over the entire upper arch and is so transparent it is barely visible. It is hard plastic but very thin. (It doesn't quite fit the new crown, but that's another story.) Both styles work well and are comfortable.

Since: Mar 10

El Monte, CA

#4757 Oct 27, 2013
"I applaud you for being able to wear a night guard everyday for 16 years. My local dentist charged me several hundred dollars for a night guard that was made out of supper hard plastic that was so bulky. It was so uncomfortable to wear I started getting insomnia and headache. Since then, I've given up on wearing it"

hi blobz,
dr. cavallini made me a couple of soft ones that i've used for 5 years and they are still great. they don't hurt and they are comfortable to use at night without feeling like they interfere. ask your dentist for a soft one. they'll make either upper or lower soft night guards and they really do make a positive difference.

jerry6665@yahoo.com

Beaverton, OR

#4758 Oct 27, 2013
I dug up a old post from someone named Ms K about a year ago:

"From what I've read here in these forums, I'd stay away from Prisma and Smile 90210, as most of the good I've read is from the practices themselves."

Can someone give more info about about why to avoid Smile 90210? I know they've changed their name to Costa Rica Dental Team now. Why did they change their name? How come they're hardly ever mentioned on this board? I've only been able to read a couple of pt experience about them. Is Mike Lomax just running a business that's not very popular due to poor quality work? I've visited their new site and have seen some of their b&a and they looked very good. I've also heard their prices are very competitive as well. So I wonder why they aren't popular.

Since: Jun 11

The Triangle, NC

#4759 Oct 28, 2013
Blobz: I think Mike Lomax's CRDT is fine, and I've suggested them as a possibility for folks in the past. We had someone about three months back who was very pleased with them.

I don't know why Ms. K said that. Maybe she was thinking of someone else, maybe she misremembered an old post, or maybe she just has a different opinion. There are a lot of differing opinions on this board; it's all fine. Remember the story about the blind men and the elephant? There are lots of opinions on Internet blogs.

I posted how to search this board a while back: I suggest you do that. See p. 224,#4579 for a list of my posts.

“thedentaltourist .com”

Since: Jul 13

Santa Cruz born. Now in Oregon

#4760 Oct 28, 2013
A good read regarding PFM vs PFZ: http://www.scdlab.com/assets/pdf/courses/cpd/...

Since: Sep 13

Concord, Canada

#4761 Oct 28, 2013
Thank you for the link RJ. Very interesting, although I wonder how old this article is.
What I already knew is that PFZ crowns give a better appearance and the margins will be nicer and won't turn dark when the gum is receding. What I learned is that for PFZ they have to file down the teeth quite a bit more, and if the zirconium gets exposed (in case porcelain will chip off)it is very damaging for the opposing teeth because the material is so hard. Also it seems that zirconium is extremely difficult to remove. So it's not all good I'm afraid.
Wonder if we can find such comparison for Emax crowns

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4762 Oct 28, 2013
Those are good points Spieker and I've heard those exact things myself. I'm really at the point where I'm going to stop researching different materials and just let my dentist decide what is the best option given my situation.

Chicopee, MA

#4763 Oct 28, 2013
RJ of Oregon wrote:
Those are good points Spieker and I've heard those exact things myself. I'm really at the point where I'm going to stop researching different materials and just let my dentist decide what is the best option given my situation.
It can definitely get even more confusing, for sure. I would get close to an ultimate decision and the next thing you know, I'm back to having 4 dentists, and they all differ.

I'm going on instict. I researched the best I could, and I'm hoping for a sure shot....but I also am aware, not anything is... except taxes and death.

Location hidden

#4764 Oct 28, 2013
I posted a full review on TripAdvisor of Nova Dental, NovaDentalcr.com and Dr. Luis Obando and Dr. Chavarria:
I just returned from a trip to CR and I couldn't be happier with my decision. After receiving an estimate from my regular US dentist I began a month long process of research to achieve the best treatment at a reasonable cost. In the past I dreaded going to the dentist which usually resulted in extensive and expensive treatments. While I do like my current US dentist I do not have dental insurance and the cost here is prohibitive.

After reading reviews online on this forum and others I discovered a new term,'Medical Tourism' and narrowed my research to Costa Rica. I found that many of the dentists there were highly qualified and obtained specialized training in the US. Most impressive were the credentials of Dr. Luis Obando and his staff at Nova Dental. I read, I think, every piece of information on the web about him, using Google Translator on the pages that were in Spanish. He has an extensive list of credentials which can all be verified.
After contacting his office I emailed him panoramic xrays from my dentist and Dr. Obando responded with an estimate. we continued communication via emails and he addressed all my questions. Once I totaled up the costs of airfare, hotel and incidentals the decision was a no-brainer. I made an appointment, booked air and hotel and the trip was on!
Arriving at Nova Dental I received a very warm greeting by a young, caring and professional staff. His office is modern and spotless, located in an upscale area called Escazu, about 15 minutes from downtown San Jose. Dr. Obando saw me promptly and his staff took digital xrays and high res photos. Afterward, Dr. Obando made me feel completely at ease as we viewed the information on screen. He designed several treatment options for our review.
As we considered my options he had a genuine interest in addressing all my concerns regarding the various processes including pain, injections, healing time, cost, medications and, of course, the look and feel of new dental work. He has a very gentle and compassionate nature and sensed my anxiety. After about an hour of consultation I felt completely confident placing my trust in him and actually looked forward to having the work done.
The first day, Thursday, he took impressions and prepped my upper teeth for crowns. On Friday, he installed the implant in my lower jaw. The implant process required 1 injection and 20 minutes in the chair! By Saturday afternoon I was out and about doing a walking tour of the local shops near my hotel.
The following Monday another doctor, Dr. Javier Chavarria whom I liked very much replaced 2 fillings. I required several injections and he went very slowly to avoid any pain.
I returned Thursday to receive my crowns and again on Friday to polish off any areas to ensure they felt completely comfortable and I was satisfied with the work. I also received my mouth guard for my bruxism. My next trip will require 2 office visits over 5 working days.
I left Nova Dental with a beautiful new smile knowing I made the right decision. Over the course of my visits I had the opportunity to speak to several other devoted patients who were there from the US. One couple lived in Dallas and gentleman was from Boston. We compared our research methodology and discussed how we arrived at Nova Dental. It all boiled down to credentials and cost. There are very few dentists in the US with the extensive backgrounds of Dr. Obando and Dr. Chiavaria and they are entirely accessible and affordable! The experience has made me a believer in 'medical tourism' so much so that I will consider looking outside the US for any major procedures not fully covered by my health insurance.
I am not in any way affiliated with Nova Dental; just one more happy patient! I have submitted a review for Hotel Luisiana in the San Jose Metro > Santa Ana forum.

Chicopee, MA

#4765 Oct 28, 2013
Man....Just wrote a long post to OkeefenokeeJoe, and now is among the missing...:(

Richmond Hill, GA

#4766 Oct 28, 2013
ImaCuriousGirl wrote:
Man....Just wrote a long post to OkeefenokeeJoe, and now is among the missing...:(
Don't you just HATE it when that happens. My first day in Costa Rica last June, I composed a lengthy post of my initial impressions of Dr. Anglada and of the Cristina Apartotel. It was a beautiful work of art, composition-wise. Pulitzer Prize material, if I should say so myself. However, when I hit SEND, the screen flashed and everything frikkin' disappeared. I just stared at the screen in disbelief with my mouth gapped open. How discouraging and frustrating! Now I make sure to copy everything before I hit the send button just in case.

OkeefenokeeJoe

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4767 Oct 28, 2013
I got in the habit a long time ago to highlight and copy my posts before hitting "Post". If a glitch happened then all I would have to do is paste and re-post.
OkeefenokeeJoe wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you just HATE it when that happens. My first day in Costa Rica last June, I composed a lengthy post of my initial impressions of Dr. Anglada and of the Cristina Apartotel. It was a beautiful work of art, composition-wise. Pulitzer Prize material, if I should say so myself. However, when I hit SEND, the screen flashed and everything frikkin' disappeared. I just stared at the screen in disbelief with my mouth gapped open. How discouraging and frustrating! Now I make sure to copy everything before I hit the send button just in case.
OkeefenokeeJoe

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#4768 Oct 28, 2013
dharmamtn,

Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to the Nova Clinic. There have not been many who post here that have been patients there, but those that have, share similar positives. Your detail is excellent.

This is good news for everyone; especially newbies.

Woody66

Richmond Hill, GA

#4769 Oct 28, 2013
dharmamtn wrote:
I posted a full review on TripAdvisor of Nova Dental, NovaDentalcr.com and
I am not in any way affiliated with Nova Dental; just one more happy patient! I have submitted a review for Hotel Luisiana in the San Jose Metro > Santa Ana forum.
No doubt Dr. Obando is one of only three or four dentists in CR I would trust with complicated dental work. From what I understand by talking to other CR dentists, Dr. Obando learned his surgical techniques as a student of Dr. Anglada during the time Dr. Anglada was teaching at the dental school. They are good friends and respect each other's work.

OkeefenokeeJoe

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4770 Oct 28, 2013
OkeefenokeeJoe wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt Dr. Obando is one of only three or four dentists in CR I would trust with complicated dental work. From what I understand by talking to other CR dentists, Dr. Obando learned his surgical techniques as a student of Dr. Anglada during the time Dr. Anglada was teaching at the dental school. They are good friends and respect each other's work.
OkeefenokeeJoe
Your 4?
Anglada
Prada
Obando
Kaver
?

Chicopee, MA

#4771 Oct 28, 2013
SEEEEE: copied this, and good thing I did...last one didn't show up....Again!
OkeefenokeeJoe,
Anywho....Your post last night way sooo funny.
I said in my MIA post...Maybe I can even lose some extra poundage on this trip. Get twice the bang for my buck, so to say...lol. I seriously thou, should probably pack some protein bars, campbell soup, and apple sauce, just in case...I can get grouchy with no food....Lol
I was actually thinking... If it is safe enough, I am hoping to be able to walk everyday to my dental appointment, and hopefully back (depending on the pain) so this could work to an advantage, and I can get a quick tune up while I'm there...lol
I heard from one of the the dentists I had on my original list today. I had asked him a question about addressing my dental issues (asked him over two weeks ago) because his estimate came in with no dental work needing to be done, just shiny new crowns and veneers. His response to me was "After looking over your xrays, No dental work is needed, as there are no underlined issues presenting, and only prep is needed for the new veneers and crowns, which is great because it will be able to be done in one visit."
WELL....Let me tell you...I have several issues going on, as per my assessment here in the states, by two different dentists, and they most certainly need to be taken care of. It would be like building the Taj Mahal on quicksand to have not resolve these problems. Imagine if I did not already know this? I could have gone to this particular dentist, left being extremely happy with the appearance, atleast for a while, and then had all kinds of dental problems still brewing underneath....also I would be out of cha ching to do anything about it.
So, if I had any advice for anyone....I would say, Pay for an evaluation, a pano, xrays, etc., for them to diagnose your issues. Atleast you will know what is going on, and hopefully the dentist you ultimately choose will also see the same problems....as mine did, Thankfully! Certainly helps to eliminate them off your list when they don't...lol
OkeefenokeeJoe....You crack me up!
jerry6665

El Monte, CA

#4772 Oct 28, 2013
hi ima,
i had a diagnosis in the states that included 2 sinus lifts & removal of the 6 lower front teeth worn down to the gums. i showed my panos to the dentists i checked out in c.r. before i chose cavallini. many of those dentists are mentioned on this blog.

i studied to be a vet so can read xrays. cavallini was the only dentist who had me come look at the xrays and measure the bone for myself. as it turned out, the bone was more than i needed for my implants.(sinus lifts are sort of glorified bone grafts close to the sinuses) he asked me why i thought i needed ANY sinus lifts, muchless TWO of them. i couldn't answer. he said i didn't need ANY and that he could save the 6 front teeth.

long story short, 5 years later, no sinus lifts, 10 necessary implants and still with my own 6 front bottom teeth AND a great smile! just cuz they say it's so, it ain't NECESSARILY so. dr. c lost the extra $ i would have paid for sinus lifts and extra implants on the lower front teeth. that money would have fattened his bank account but he did the job right and came in under budget.

jerry6665@yahoo.com
jerry6665

El Monte, CA

#4773 Oct 28, 2013
i want to thank everyone on this blog for an interesting and usually fun few years. the folks who blog and those who also p.m. me have been intelligent and thoughtful. we've had good conversations about what to do in c.r., how to make the trip cost less, and excellent info (both good and not so good) on all the dentists mentioned on the blog.

i'll be on the blog a little but am taking an hiatus from it. i'm out of spare time and i think i've run the course. you can still pm me if you'd like any info, make any comments or just to keep me posted on how you're doing.
again, thanks to all for a fun few years!
jerry6665@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Costa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Costa Ricans Are Racists, Recent Study Reveals (Sep '10) Sep 25 Nibbapleee 87
Dental Tourism in Costa Rica (Feb '12) Sep 24 Ms K from NH 593
Worrell Topics (Oct '11) Sep 22 AGeorgiaFriend 41
Low Cost Dental Implants In Costa Rica Cut Into... (Dec '12) Sep 22 Donna WG 20
Travel Review Tips by the Avanti Group Sep 22 Donna WG 5
restalyn/juviderm /cosmetic surgery (Oct '10) Sep 9 Beautiful Suzie 5
Getting sick of American culture. (May '13) Sep 5 dentist-14 7

Costa Rica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE