Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#4365 Aug 23, 2013
Mike-M,
Congratulations on completing the first phase of your journey. It gave me much pleasure to read your post as your experience with the Cavallini clinic so closely resembles my own.

Are you having a full mouth restoration? Did you get the trip insurance?

Woody66

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#4366 Aug 23, 2013
Blueberry,

We are so proud that you are taking the plunge. Make sure you register with Topix.

What airlines are you taking? Spirit, Delta, or other?

Woody66

Since: Mar 13

Richmond Hill, GA

#4367 Aug 23, 2013
Nice report, Mike.

Thanks!

OkeefenokeeJoe

Since: Jan 08

Shakopee, MN

#4368 Aug 24, 2013
infoseeker1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Amy,
I don't know if it will help you, but your $1000 per year maximum would go a lot farther in CR. i don't know about other CR dentists, but I know Dr Anglada and Dr Obando provide an itemized statement that you file with your insurance company and the insurance company pays you directly. My husband had a $2,000 per year maximum with either Delta Dental or United Concordia (can't remember which) and it paid him directly for 5 crowns. We were pleasantly surprised. Dr Obando charges from $50-85 for a filling. Some dentists might be a little less.
Good luck with your new commitment to taking extra good care of your teeth. I haven't figured out how to use a waterpick without spraying all over the bathroom!
Thanks, but my insurance will not reimburse anything out of country. Plus, I don't even have funds to make a trip to Costa Rica at the moment, where my cavities need immediate care, or else they will become much larger problems. The estimate the dentist gave me out of pocket for 13 cavities was $500, doing math that's under $40 for each one.

I am planning on getting as much done in the next couple weeks and max out my 1k, then get the rest done in January since my calendar year for insurance is Jan-Dec.

Believe me, I'd love to get it all done at once, but a trip out of country right now would put us in the poor house for sure, I might as well take advantage of what my insurance gives the most coverage for at the moment. Otherwise, I'd be heading to CR and saving money on my implants while paying more for fillings I can just have done here while saving up enough money to be comfortable taking a trip like that.

Since: Mar 10

El Monte, CA

#4369 Aug 24, 2013
hi all,
i haven't posted here in a long time so 'hi' to the friends i enjoyed meeting already on this blog and 'hi' to those i haven't 'met' yet.

i'll be in costa rica again the end of this week till the 20th of september. i'll stop by the drs. marco to get my teeth cleaned and to say hi to the staff, bringing them enough dark chocolate to keep everyone happy for a while, i hope. and, i'm looking forward to visiting friends i've made in c.r. and finally checking out the caribbean side beaches!

i finished my dental work with the cavallinis 4 years ago and am still grateful for the change it made in my life.(10 implants, 24 crowns, major extraction, gum revision, etc...) i STILL get compliments on my grin! and, although i've had what turned out to be an unnecessary teeth cleaning here in beverly hills, there's no place like the drs. marco!

so, if anyone's going to be in c.r. during this time, give me a shout and, as they say in l.a., let's do lunch.

jerry6665@yahoo.com

El Monte, CA

#4370 Aug 24, 2013
Mike-M wrote:
I just returned from Costa Rica and the Cavalinni Clinic. This is the first time that I can truly say that a trip to the dentist was a pleasurable experience.
I stayed at the Cristina hotel and it was more than adequate. I LOVED the -snip-
Mike Maness
Forney, Texas
hi mike,
nice, thorough report. good to see info like this!
jerry6665@yahoo.com

“www. SmilingAtLast. Com”

Since: Jun 11

The Triangle, NC

#4371 Aug 24, 2013
Mike: Thanks for the most excellent report! Yet more encouragement for newbies.

Blueberry: We're glad to hear you've decided to take the plunge! Keep us informed. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a great trip.

Jerry: Good to see your post again on this board for the special occasion of your visit to the clinic. Let us know how your refresher visit goes.

-dave

Since: Aug 13

Marietta, GA

#4373 Aug 24, 2013
Woody: I did register last night. I don't know why it does not show that. Anyway I am traveling on Delta because it is the only direct flight. We should get in CR around noon Sunday. Does anyone have any last minute tips on what to take or the weather?
georgiagirl1

Atlanta, GA

#4374 Aug 24, 2013
Mike,

Great report. I too am a highly satisfied Cavallini patient. Although I had longer wait times than you apparantly had, my experience was certainly a positive one. Dr. Marco and his entire staff were super nice and just as skilled as any US dentist.
In June, I had two extractions and two implants on my upper right side. I have had no issues whatsoever. On my bottom teeth, I also had two root canals and 10 porcelain crowns placed over natural teeth. Again, fabulous work with no issues at all. Everything looks natural and I couldn't be happier.
I currently have a temporary piece covering the space where the upper implants were placed. Dr. Marco was kind enough to make me an extra temporary to take home just in case something happens to this one during my six month wait for implant healing. Something those with temporaries may want to consider before leaving CR. If my temporary happens to break for some reason, I can simply take the spare and have my stateside dentist glue it in.
I recently brought my young daughter to the dentist for a cleaning. Her dentist looked over the work done by Dr. Marco and said that it was exceptional. It was nice to have the validation that I had certainly made the right decision. In the states, all this dental work would have easily cost me $30K. I paid $5K. Need I say more?
I also stayed at the Cristina. Walked almost every day to the dentist with no problems. The walk is roughly 15 minutes. Cristina is an awesome place to stay. I could have stayed at the "tooth hotel" as Oke Joe puts it, however, after being in the dentist a great part of the day, I needed to get away from that place. I could not have lived in that place for 10 days.
Bottom line, the wait times at Cavallini Clinic are absolutely the pits--there is no denying that. However, I feel it was time well spent as the work was outstanding, painless, and I don't believe I could have legally made $25,000 in the hours I spent in that waiting room (which is the money I saved by going there for dental work.)
Blueberry, I am wishing you all the best on your journey. You will be sooo happy when it is all done and you will wonder why you didn't do it long ago. Feel free to contact me if you need reassurance or have any questions.
Oke Joe, I'll be calling you soon.

Since: Jan 11

San José, Costa Rica

#4375 Aug 24, 2013
Blueberry 73 wrote:
Woody: I did register last night. I don't know why it does not show that. Anyway I am traveling on Delta because it is the only direct flight. We should get in CR around noon Sunday. Does anyone have any last minute tips on what to take or the weather?
Take an umbrella for sure! I'm here now, and it pours every day after 2. I also always bring an extension cord as i frequently need one for my computer.

Since: Jul 13

Fort Worth, TX

#4376 Aug 24, 2013
Woody66 wrote:
Mike-M,
Congratulations on completing the first phase of your journey. It gave me much pleasure to read your post as your experience with the Cavallini clinic so closely resembles my own.
Are you having a full mouth restoration? Did you get the trip insurance?
Woody66
I am returning to Costa Rica in Jan. I did not get the trip insurance because I used ALL my vacation time going to Costa Rica. I have no more, so I have no choice ... I have to wait until January regardless. It's a bummer, and if something happens to my long term temps, I'm up the creek. Just have to be very careful, don't eat anything that'll cause problems, and hope for the best.

Since: Jan 11

San José, Costa Rica

#4377 Aug 24, 2013
My daughter had her surgery Wed and she is till extremely swollen and can only eat soft foods. She asked for banana or pistacio pudding, but the only thing they seem to have here are vanilla, chocolate and coconut. So, if you think you might want pudding in a broader range of flavors, better bring along a couple of packages. You might also want to bring along some paclets of broth, clear soup, etc. It's nice to have a little on hand anyway because sometimes it's a little tricky getting to a grocery store your firtst day or 2 in country especially since it gets dark around 5 and your daughter will most likely spend most of thefirst day or 2 in the waiting room.

“thedentaltourist .com”

Santa Cruz born. Now in Oregon

#4378 Aug 24, 2013
I talked to an American expat today, she has lived in CR for the last 11 years, and she had some wonderful things to say about a certain clinic that I'll mention below. She stated it's the best dental experience she has ever had and that's compared to other CR dentists not just ones in the U.S. Guess she's been to a couple others in CR over the years. Anyhow she said that everything from the doctors to the very modern office to the ultimate relaxed atmosphere that they have is first class. She said the lead doctor there is female and the most gentle yet competent dentist she has seen. I mentioned to her about this forum and she said that I just had to let people know about it.

Anyways I have no affiliation with this clinic nor have I been there. I'm just putting it out there in case someone wants to add it to their list of clinics to consider. I know I started with a list of over 20 and now down to 3 in CR and 1 in Mexico...very hard trying to come up with a final choice.

Check it out if you wish, contact them if you wish and form your own opinion: SONRIA Dental Clinic http://sonriacr.com/home

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4379 Aug 24, 2013
Sorry...not sure what happened. Sure wish we could edit posts. Very strange...if I copy and paste url, the link wont work. If I add "www." link wont work. Seems the only way to get to it is to enter this into your browsers address bar

sonriacr.com

If the above is converted to a link when I post this then it still might not work. You will have to type in to the address bar

sonriacr -dot- com

I'm only typing it out that way so it doesn't convert it to a link.

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4380 Aug 24, 2013
OK...looks like second hyper link works. You know if this forum was like 99% of other ones out there where you can preview your post before submitting it then there would be no need for me to have 3 annoying posts in a row. Grrrrrrrr. OK...I'm done.

“www. SmilingAtLast. Com”

Since: Jun 11

The Triangle, NC

#4381 Aug 24, 2013
RJ:

The URL is: sonriacr.com

I told them that their web site doesn't work. I get a password-challenge box if I click on "Smiles" or try to see resumes of any of the dentists.

The "Contact Us" page still works. They are in Escazu like Dr. Prada and NOVA.

-dave

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4382 Aug 24, 2013
Yeah I noticed a couple pages didn't work but the rest seems to..."our doctors" and "our clinic" under the "about us" tab.

At least it has the contact info which is the important part if someone wants to learn more.

Thanks Dave!

“thedentaltourist .com”

#4383 Aug 24, 2013
From the Dra. of Sonria Clinic regarding the non-working pages...

Oriana González: "Hi, we are finishing our web site, this week it will be fix all the pages that have password."

El Monte, CA

#4384 Aug 24, 2013
hi infoseeker & all,
i would suggest taking applesauce with you instead of pudding. the applesauce goes down easier and seems to be better all around and leave any coating in the mouth. also, for whatever reeason, costa rica doesn't seem to have any applesauce in the markets so i always suggest throwing a few of the little container packages in your checked bag. some of the brainiacs in the tsa seize it because they consider it fluid if it's in your carryon. same with jam.

b/t/w, there are some pretty serious rains on some days in c.r. but they're usually gone in an hour or so and the whole world seems cleaner. it's a warm rain that dries fast.

chicago dave: i'm a ex-chicagoan. i traded in my snow shovel for a sandy beach! c'mon out to california!

jerry6665@yahoo.com

El Monte, CA

#4385 Aug 24, 2013
oops... the blog gremlins seem to have deleted a word:

" the applesauce goes down easier and seems to be better all around and DOESN'T leave any coating in the mouth"
sorry.
jerry6665@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Costa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dental implants (Mar '11) Sat kody 80
Costa Ricans Are Racists, Recent Study Reveals (Sep '10) Jan 22 Gringo 91
Fall Landscaping Maintenance at Westhill Consul... (Mar '14) Jan 16 Zach 2
American, Canadian woman and British man dead a... Jan 9 dwd 1
Dental Tourism in Costa Rica (Feb '12) Jan 4 LornaCK 599
Low Cost Dental Implants In Costa Rica Cut Into... (Dec '12) Jan 2 RJ of Oregon 29
Elliott & Associates Fraud Attorney Review Dec '14 erinam008 5
More from around the web