Since: Mar 13

Richmond Hill, GA

#3980 Jul 4, 2013
Woody ... I am allowing EXACTLY four months, post-implants, for my return visit for crowns. I have already marked it on my calendar. Implants were in on June 16th/17th, and I will return for crowns on October 21st. I am SO anxious to get this over and done ... once and for all!

It's important for me, too, for income tax purposes, to get this done all in the same calendar year.

Hey ... Novawestguy ... make sure when you compare prices that you are comparing apples to apples. If one dentist uses a Nobel Biocare implant product and another dentist charges far less, but (unknown to you) uses a cheap Chinese implant knock-off, then the more expensive route would certainly be the way to go and would actually be the better bargain of the two.

Just sayin'.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#3981 Jul 4, 2013
Joe,

You seem to be very confident about the return date. Are you basing that strictly on "normal minimal" healing time, on assumption, on the doctor's say so, or what? I'm trying to see what your mindset is here and whether I need to consider the same looking forward. The mid point for me(5th month) would be the same as yours(Oct. 20th) since I had my implants done a month before you. I think that if I don't have any info to the contrary and no physical issues, I would email the the doctor for an opinion/confirmation and if it is a go with him, it will be a go with me. I'm looking to do the email around the second week of September or thereabouts. I have been looking at some video where the doctor is going into some detail in regard to implants, grafts, sinus lifts,healing times, etc. He speaks very clearly and appears to be very knowledgeable. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RamseyAminDDS/vid...

Let me know what you think.

Woody

Richmond Hill, GA

#3982 Jul 4, 2013
Hi Woody.

My 4-month return is based on information provided me by Dr. Anglada and my state-side dentist.

Although Dr. Anglada didn't go into detail, I am assuming that since I did not have gum disease or other serious issues and my grafts, which had been placed about a year prior to the implants, were very healthy and provided good bone structure for the implants, meant that only the minimum amount of time was needed for full integration.

My local doctor, upon my return, also mentioned that I should be ready for crowns by October. However, my local dentist also stated that, just to make sure, he would take some radiographs in a few weeks just to make sure everything was healing as anticipated, and would forward those films to Dr. Anglada.

Like you, Woody, my gums are healing rapidly after the implants, and I am feeling no discomfort at all. Dr. Anglada warned me before I left CR that I might want to eat mashed potatoes and gravy for awhile, and I was all prepared to do that, but my teeth and gums have felt so good since my return that I have pretty much eaten (although very carefully) anything I want. Yesterday I even ate hard-shell tacos!

So, I guess to answer your question, I have nothing clinical or scientific on which to base my 4-month return to CR for crowns, other than the what I have been told by Dr. Anglada and my local dentist, both whom (or is it who... I can never remember that rule) agree on an October date.

Hey, I'll be in Atlanta on Monday, the 15th, and I'll be meeting up with GeorgiaGirl1 at Steak & Shake in Marietta for a milkshake. Maybe you would like to meet up with us. I have to be at Emory (Winship Cancer Center) for my 4-year post stem cell transplant cancer assessment on that day. If everything is good ... no new cancer detected ... I always treat myself afterward to a chocolate milkshake at Steak & Shake. You are welcome to join us (for what I pray to be) another celebration.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Location hidden

#3983 Jul 4, 2013
Joe,
Small world. I will be out of town on the 15th. My daughter is an RN at Emory. She works across the street from the Winship Center.

Sounds like a plan for you for October. The confirmation x rays also seem to be a good idea.

Do you plan on doing Delta next trip? I probably will. Even though it costs more, it's the only nonstop from Atlanta(4 hours) and the other flights have layovers that are way too long for me. I don't know if there are any good package deals that would be acceptable. I may check.

Richmond Hill, GA

#3984 Jul 4, 2013
Woody66 wrote:
Do you plan on doing Delta next trip? I probably will. Even though it costs more, it's the only nonstop from Atlanta(4 hours) and the other flights have layovers that are way too long for me. I don't know if there are any good package deals that would be acceptable. I may check.
Woody ... I flew Spirit Airlines from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale to San Jose last time and my intention is NOT to ever fly with them again based on SEVERAL logistical problems I experienced. However, after I formally complained to the Spirit, they sent me a $50 voucher, good for my next ticket. Nevertheless, I understand that Jet Blue has a non-stop flight from Orlando to San Jose, so I intend on pricing that flight and also the Delta non-stop flight from Hartsfield.

Sorry, Woody, you can't make it to Steak & Shake on the 15th. However, If any other Atlanta area CR toothies want to meet up, you are welcome to join GeorgiaGirl1 and me at the Steak & Shake located on Cobb Parkway at I-285.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Richmond Hill, GA

#3985 Jul 4, 2013
Woody ... I just checked the round-trip rate on Jet Blue from Orlando to San Jose to Orlando ... departing on October 20th, and returning on October 27th.

Total rate, including taxes and fees is $392.07.

That's a heck of a bargain, if you ask me.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Location hidden

#3986 Jul 4, 2013
Joe....I checked a direct from ATL to SJO(same dates) and the price is $633. To get to Orlando is $248, so I would wind up paying more($640), changing planes, a layover, going through security again, etc. NO! I can't do it...I just can't.

What do you have to do to get to Orlando?

Woody

Richmond Hill, GA

#3987 Jul 5, 2013
Woody66 wrote:
J
What do you have to do to get to Orlando?
Woody
Drive!

It's roughly the same distance from Savannah to Orlando as it is from Savannah to Atlanta. Jacksonville is much closer, and that is the airport from which I usually fly but, in this case, it is so much cheaper to drive a little further south.

Of course, flying out of Savannah/Hilton Head International would be WAY more convenient, but at a tremendous cost.

OkeefenokeeJoe
MikeM

United States

#3988 Jul 5, 2013
Wow ... this is one huge topic! But it has been a tremendous help in getting some of the nervousness out of my decision to get implants.

I've e-mailed Dr. Marco a couple of times, and a couple of weeks ago I had dental X-rays taken and sent to Dr. Marco. He replied back with a treatment plan that absolutely floored me! It's expensive, sure .. but nowhere near the amount of a U.S. dentist.

He suggested I plan on at least 10 days (2 business weeks).. I'm going for 13 business days just to make sure it all gets done.

So I'll arrive there on Aug 6th for my first appointment on the 7th - and return on the 24th. I'll be staying at the Suites Cristina for at least most of the trip. I might try to stay in the Recovery Casa for the first few nights .. if available. But I'm perfectly fine with staying in the Cristina if needs be.

This is my first post here, but I have literally read every post made in this topic (and there are soooo many over the years) not once, but twice. If anyone is down there during this time, I'll be sure to say hey.

Mike Maness

Richmond Hill, GA

#3989 Jul 5, 2013
MikeM.

Welcome to this forum!

You are about to experience dental care on an all-new level! Yes, you will be anxious to return to the US once you have completed your dental work, but the pay-off will be tremendous!

Please keep us all posted along the way during your journey.

OkeefenokeJoe

Richmond Hill, GA

#3990 Jul 5, 2013
One more thing, MikeM.

Us CR veterans are standing by to answer any questions you might have, and to render any assistance that we can.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Since: Jul 13

Rio Rancho, NM

#3991 Jul 5, 2013
Hi, Everyone,

This is my first post, so please bear with me. I see that most posts are from those seeking implants, so I'm not sure what applies to me. What I'm seeking is a dentist for a smile makeover. I have all my teeth but they are chipped, have gaps and not attractive. Anybody care to offer suggestions as to the name of a dentist to help me out?

Thank you in advance.

Laurilisi

Richmond Hill, GA

#3992 Jul 5, 2013
Two dentist immediately come to mind, and both are HIGHLY regarded in their field:

Dr. Eduardo Castro
http://crownsandimplants.com/dr-eduardo-castr...

and

Dr. Luis Kaver
http://www.costaricadentistry.com

Both of these professionals bring cosmetic dentistry to an all-new level!

Good luck in your research!

OkeefenokeeJoe

“www. SmilingAtLast. Com”

Since: Jun 11

The Triangle, NC

#3993 Jul 5, 2013
Lauralisi,

You're indeed on the right board. And you're moving in the right direction (south to C.R.!).

People here have received all sorts of dental work in C.R. Implants are well-represented here but only because the cost-differential makes C.R. an attractive choice. But folks here have received all sorts of services, generally fairly extensive ones that would cost a great deal of $$$ back home.

There isn't one single dentist that will work best for everyone. It depends on: the procedures you need, your pocketbook, willingness and ability to travel, and intangible issues. It seems you might need some crowns and veneers...and I'm not sure how to treat the gaps (implants? braces?). It's good that your roots are strong!

It is common for US patients to see their local US doctors for plans, estimates and digital x-rays--all of which can be forwarded to CR dentists of interest. What did your local dentist(s) think you needed?

There are several dentists that are perennials of discussion on this forum. If you read the posts over the past 2-3 months, about 20 pages, you will see the same names coming up again and again. Plus a few to avoid.

People on this board are happy to chat. You can click on the name of many of us to Private Message us.

-dave

Since: May 13

Patterson, CA

#3994 Jul 5, 2013
Woody66 wrote:
Joe,
You seem to be very confident about the return date. Are you basing that strictly on "normal minimal" healing time, on assumption, on the doctor's say so, or what? I'm trying to see what your mindset is here and whether I need to consider the same looking forward. The mid point for me(5th month) would be the same as yours(Oct. 20th) since I had my implants done a month before you. I think that if I don't have any info to the contrary and no physical issues, I would email the the doctor for an opinion/confirmation and if it is a go with him, it will be a go with me. I'm looking to do the email around the second week of September or thereabouts. I have been looking at some video where the doctor is going into some detail in regard to implants, grafts, sinus lifts,healing times, etc. He speaks very clearly and appears to be very knowledgeable. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RamseyAminDDS/vid...
Let me know what you think.
Woody
Hey Woody/Jihn
I wrote doctor Cavellini after I returned home regarding when to return to Costa Rica. He mentioned that (for some reason) the upper jaw bone needs longer healing time for implants and they typically like to say six months for upper implants. For lower implants they typically say four months. Since I have both upper and lower implants I figure I will wait the entire six months-- there is no need for me to rush since my temps work fine for the most part. I too have a few implants in the back which are not covered at the moment with anything other than a healing cap. The skin will grow over these with time (mine are doing that slowly). When we go back for our perms, the doctor will do a minor surgical process to remove the healing caps/extra skin, allow a few days for THAT to heal, and then fit for perms. Dr. Marco said he'd require ten working days for that visit. I plan to go back in January--giving a total of seven months healing just to be safe.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3995 Jul 5, 2013
Re Cristina's place

a) what do they mean by the cash price, real cash? Are debit cards/wire transfers considered cash ?

b) what is their credit card surcharge?

c) I understand no WIFI in regular rooms. Any experience with room LAN connection?

d) who drives you from the airport, their driver, or some bus/van company?

Any info much appreciated.

Richmond Hill, GA

#3996 Jul 5, 2013
directore wrote:
Re Cristina's place
a) what do they mean by the cash price, real cash? Are debit cards/wire transfers considered cash ?
b) what is their credit card surcharge?
c) I understand no WIFI in regular rooms. Any experience with room LAN connection?
d) who drives you from the airport, their driver, or some bus/van company?
Any info much appreciated.
Directore ...

Cash price is the discounted price you get for paying cash. In my case, I rented a 2bdrm/2 bth suite from Sunday to Saturday, 6 nights. The discounted cash price was $540, which was surprisingly low, for the size of the suite. Plus, I think there was a little discount kicked in for being a patient of Dr. Anglada. Regular price, if my memory serves me correctly, was about $100 more. I paid my bill in American dollars.

I don't know what the credit card surcharge is.

I had WIFI in my room. When I checked in, the desk gave me the password and I was able to use my computer all week.

I do not believe the Cristina provides shuttle service FROM the airport; however, they do offer free shuttle service TO the airport. Just make sure to reserve your spot on the van/bus 36 hours prior to your departure.

In my case, Dr. Anglada had his driver, Miguel, meet me at the airport and drive me to the Cristina. I failed to reserve my spot on the shuttle 36 hours in advance for my free return trip to the airport from the Cristina and ended up paying a taxi $15 (7500 colones) to take me to the airport.

OkeefenokeeJoe
FloridaGal

Fort Myers, FL

#3997 Jul 5, 2013
Do you have any advice about cell phone usage in CR? I have a Samsung Galaxy S 3. Is it safe to use or should I just shut it down when I arrive? How are the rates?

Location hidden

#3998 Jul 5, 2013
FG, They have a phone at the Casa Marco in the lobby, for patients to make calls at no charge. This also includes calls to the states. They also have a computer....no charge.

I carried an unlocked phone down with me, but decided not to activate it. I also took my regular phone with me, but only used it to take pictures, for email, and for the news. I also took a tablet, but did not use it that much.

Good luck with your planning.

Melissafrommisso uri

United States

#3999 Jul 5, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text> Don't go to colina . They put in wrong abutments-Bridge fell off after a month - charged for gold that I didn't receive- 6 lower front crowns still experience sensitivity.
Was told to come back down . The cost would be another 1500.00 in expenses. I am now out 3200.00 . You have no recourse if you get ripped off in Costa Rica. Do your homework.
Thanks so much for that information. It's greatly appreciated. I think I will stick with dr Aglanda because of all the great reviews on here. I'm hoping to go by november or December this yr once I get my finances in order. Any information on what to excpect in travels or anything would be helpful. Never been to CR so not sure what to excpect or plan for. I am glad there is this post to help people out like me who are nervous in traveling to a different country and choosing the right dentist. So thanks again. All feed back will be greatly appreciated.
If anyone who has went to Dr anglada and had work done and is ok with maybe sharing a photo of the afterwork that would be awesome. I was quoted 10 implants and 16 crowns with two bone grafts. But he also said three of my crowns on top were bad so not sure what will be done with those till I get there. Thanks so much everyone.

Melissa.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Costa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dental implants (Mar '11) Jan 24 kody 80
Costa Ricans Are Racists, Recent Study Reveals (Sep '10) Jan 22 Gringo 91
Fall Landscaping Maintenance at Westhill Consul... (Mar '14) Jan 16 Zach 2
American, Canadian woman and British man dead a... Jan 9 dwd 1
Dental Tourism in Costa Rica (Feb '12) Jan 4 LornaCK 599
Low Cost Dental Implants In Costa Rica Cut Into... (Dec '12) Jan 2 RJ of Oregon 29
Elliott & Associates Fraud Attorney Review Dec '14 erinam008 5
More from around the web