Texas Chick

Montgomery, TX

#3459 Jan 18, 2013
Ms K wrote:
Texas Chick, I went to dinner tonight with several patients of Dr Cavallini, your post came to mind as one of the men said he wanted Dr. Cavallini to pull all his teeth so he could just have implants and the Doctor refused to do so. They will not pull healthy viable teeth. I had a similar situation last January when I went for my own implants. I expected to get 4 implants, basically to replace old bridgework. When Dr Cavallini (Senior) got in there to start the work, he ended up saving a tooth by putting in pins and was truly noticeably thrilled he saved the tooth. Trust me, any US dentist would have pulled. I wasn't even charged for the pins, just for the crown. My daughters new implants and crowns are truly amazing, I can't even tell which ones were replaced, they are so natural! Very happy.
Hope y'all went to eat at Machu Picchu! Their Ceviche is amazing!!! Actually, all of the food at Machu Picchu was amazing :))
Brian

Pacifica, CA

#3460 Jan 19, 2013
Thanks for the responses. My email is Brian.Scogin@gmail.com

I'll be happy to send a before and after to anyone after my treatment is completed.
romeo nguyen

Palatka, FL

#3461 Jan 20, 2013
JOHN
so you change your location,because you don't want to see Phyllis
we all know you not real,you just a dumb shill for anglada
BTW.....the first dental implants was placed in 1952 by DR.LEONARD LINKOW
,do your research before you make a state stupid
romeo nguyen

Palatka, FL

#3462 Jan 20, 2013
statement
Ms K

San Josť, Costa Rica

#3463 Jan 20, 2013
Texas Chick, You bet we went to Machu Pichu, we also went to Lubnan and saw the belly dancers, Maria Bonito's for the Pico de Gallo and Vichnu for the vegetarian and a few others.

Tonight, our last night in San Jose, grilled cheese at Soda Tapia! I am more than ready for a nice steak cooked at home!

Hey everyone else, why so grouchy? This isn't a competition among dentists, or shouldn't be. Just post facts and personal stories and stop the name calling! That's not helpful to anyone.
Cheers!
Texas Chick

Montgomery, TX

#3464 Jan 20, 2013
Seriously? I have someone "judging" my posts saying I'm clueless, it's spam, I'm nuts and they disagree with me? I'm assuming it's someone who isn't using Dr. Cavallini. As Ms K said, this isn't a competition among dentists. Get a life dude. Life is way too short to spend it "judging" people.

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:2
Marval96

New Port Richey, FL

#3465 Jan 24, 2013
Someone mentioned that the dentist, Dr. Cavalini, saved a tooth by using pins that every other dentist wanted to pull. My husband has a fractured root in a tooth that supports a bridge. It doesn't bother him that much, but several opinions from dentists in Florida recommend the tooth be pulled, replaced with an emplant and the bridge sawed off and replaced. I wonder if this tooth with the fractured root could be saved with pins? Having trouble convincing husband to travel outside US for dental work mainly because we have a small business and can't afford to take time off. But it would be worth it if the tooth and the existing bridge could be saved.
Ms K

Bedford, NH

#3466 Jan 24, 2013
Marval96,

One of my teeth was saved with pins, quite amazing actually, the xray is downright weird. I originally had a 4 point bridge that needed to be replaced. Local US dentist said I needed at least 3 implants instead. I ended up with 2 implants and a repaired tooth. I've had no trouble with it (and wasn't charged for it either, amazingly!).

I think it might have been harder to do the pin thing than it would have been to do the implants, but sometimes the dentist is also an artist and out to save healthy teeth if they can. I should add that when I sent my xrays to Costa Rica, the intial impression was that I needed 3 implants, it wasn't until the dentist actually started the work that he decided he could save the tooth.

Get the book 'patients beyond borders' and have your husband read it, it's a real eye opener regarding medical and dental tourism. Maybe he won't feel so uncomfortable with the idea once he's read more on the subject!

Good luck!
Ms K

Bedford, NH

#3467 Jan 24, 2013
Texas Chick,

Don't worry about the judging, I think there are far more good people on here than the few who just seem to be mean for means sake! Ignore it, that's what I do!

This forum can be helpful, once you weed thru the nasty folk.

Now that my dental work and my daughtes work is all done, I may just unsubscribe from this. Hopefully what I've said here has helped a few folks. I apologize to the shills for not agreeing that their dentists are the best, etc. I didn't see any other dentist but Cavallini, so I cannot speak for any others with honest opinion, so could not agree with them. I'm certain that there are many other good, great even, dentists in Costa Rica; I just chose the one that I did and am happy with my choice.

Cheers!
kelly

Dallas, TX

#3468 Jan 24, 2013
Ma K, stop by and add comments. Yes it is a shame that others use this forum to battle one another.
I very much appreciate this forum, it helped me so much. I went with Dr Cavillini and just recently emailed him to let him know how happy I am with my teeth, two years later!!
I do hope that folks on this forum use it and exchange experiences to help others that need information about options that are available in Costa Rica with the dentists that are there.
I have said it many times, when I was seeking options in Costa Rica I read through all the pages of this forum, made lists of dentists, emailed clients and the dentists and then made my decision. I could not have done this without the opinions (not trash talking) on this forum.
Let us keep to exchanging our experiences so that we can help others.
Freightman

Oxnard, CA

#3469 Jan 28, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
And he obviously performed a frontal lobotomy on you too.
John Arschloch trolling away again I see. Why don't you get a life you imbecile.

Since: Jan 13

Centreville, VA

#3470 Jan 28, 2013
I am finalizing my plans with Dr. Cavallini for a full mouth restoration. I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with having this type of work done by Dr. Cavallini, and what I might expect. I was told for my work it would be 3 trips...10 days...4-5 days...then 10 days again.
Wondering where the best place to stay might be,and if there are any places to get food I will not have to chew while I am in the healing process. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also would love to see some pictures of his work, if anyone has any to share.

novawestguy@yahoo.com
Brian

Pacifica, CA

#3471 Jan 28, 2013
novawestguy wrote:
I am finalizing my plans with Dr. Cavallini for a full mouth restoration. I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with having this type of work done by Dr. Cavallini, and what I might expect. I was told for my work it would be 3 trips...10 days...4-5 days...then 10 days again.
Wondering where the best place to stay might be,and if there are any places to get food I will not have to chew while I am in the healing process. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also would love to see some pictures of his work, if anyone has any to share.
novawestguy@yahoo.com
I'm finalizing my plans as well. I will most likely be there mid-march. I plan on staying at their on-site hotel just to make things easier. I've heard you could end up waiting for hours to be seen but if you're in their hotel you can just hang out in the room until they call. I've asked for pics of his work too but haven't seen any. If I go and come back before you I'd be glad to show you what mine look like. My email address is a few comments above.
TREEPODE

Liberia, Costa Rica

#3472 Jan 31, 2013
As the director of a travel agency I Would like to offer my services and logistics coordination for any dental procedure requiring. working with several European and Costa Rican doctors offer quality service.
Please write to treepode@gmail.com for give you the best medical and tourism service in Costa Rica.
Brian

Pacifica, CA

#3473 Feb 2, 2013
Does anyone know if its possible to buy pain medication in Costa Rica? I don't know if I'll need any but i'd rather have them and not need them than the other way around. I'm asking because someone said that dentist can't prescribe them.

Thanks
Ms K

Bedford, NH

#3474 Feb 2, 2013
Brian, the Cavallini clinic will prescribe both pain medications and antibiotics. The pharmacy is only a couple blocks away with the nicest pharmacist who speaks perfect English. That said, I brought my own Advil for those days that I didn't need anything more than that.
Texas Chick

Montgomery, TX

#3475 Feb 2, 2013
Brian,
Dr Cavallini will prescribe pain medication, but their idea of "pain" medication wasn't the same as mine. The will prescribe nsaids, but I was told that they are not legally allowed to prescribe narcotics. I strongly suggest that you bring any "strong" pain medication with you. The nsaids did work at times and were highly effective for most people. However, my husband did have to have teeth removed and there were issues with the removal (roots/nerves growing down into the bones, etc... nothing that was Cavallini's fault) and this caused serious pain for my husband. Be prepared :)) It's better to have it with you than to need it and not have it!! I was informed by Edward, Dr. Cavillini's liaison, that Dr. Cavallini would prescribe pain medication and that we did not need to bring it with us. He was correct. However, their idea of pain medication was seriously different from mine! Better to be safe than sorry :))
Brian

Pacifica, CA

#3476 Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to bring some Advil but rely on the Dr for anything more. I don't want to go to a Dr here for meds and I don't want to bring any that aren't prescribed to me, wouldn't want to end up on that show "Locked up Abroad" lol.
Ms K

Bedford, NH

#3477 Feb 4, 2013
Texas Chick and Brian,

The CR Pharmacist told me that Codeine is over the counter in Costa Rica, so if Codeine works for you, you won't need a prescription for it.

Since: Jan 13

Centreville, VA

#3478 Feb 4, 2013
Brian wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to bring some Advil but rely on the Dr for anything more. I don't want to go to a Dr here for meds and I don't want to bring any that aren't prescribed to me, wouldn't want to end up on that show "Locked up Abroad" lol.
Brian - I wouldn't worry about that (locked up abroad). Why don't you just call your dentist here, explain what you are doing and see if they can give you a prescription for something stronger should you need it. You don't want to be overdoing nsaids or acetaminophen.
You may not need it, but why risk it ? Conversely, you could write Dr. Cavallini a note and inquire as to what type of medication they are allowed to give you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Costa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
...WOW.....Food...Factor.... (Aug '11) 4 hr Martin garey 6
Raul Castro says U.S. must return Guantanamo to... 18 hr Doc Proper 1
Cure Type 2 diabetes in Costa Rica (Jun '10) Thu Soda23 4
dental implants (Mar '11) Wed jax23willis 82
bathroom business Wed Martin garey 1
Brother sells t-shirts to raise money for journ... (Jul '10) Wed Martin garey 2
girls sexually harassing boys Wed Martin garey 1
More from around the web