China's Soft "Nyet" to Russia's Ukraine Intervention

Mar 5, 2014 Full story: CFR.org 50

China's President Xi Jinping and his Ukrainian counterpart Viktor Yanukovich inspect honour guards during a welcome ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on December 5, 2013.

Full Story
REMEMBER UKRAINIAN FAMINE

Surrey, Canada

#22 Mar 7, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct. Another key point is referendum without having to kill each other. In UK, the Scottish will be voting for independent soon. We are not going to send in the tanks even if the result is to split from United kingdom, even if we don't like it. It really depends on how mature your democracy is. In China, I would say no way that works, but then China never pretend to be a democracy anyway. In Iraq or Chechnya, that won't work either, so please don't embrace democracy too early there.
Therefore if Ukraine or EU or American want to believe democracy for Crimea, then surely they have to respect the people's choice, else it will be highly hypocritical.
Of course, no free and fair referendum can take place as long as Putin the Dwarf's bandits are occupying Crimea.

The first step is for Putin to withdraw the gang of bandits he has sent to infest Crimea!
AAA

UK

#23 Mar 7, 2014
Liga wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kiddidng me?
"....the overall majority of Turks want Germany identity..."
They might want German citizenship, true, but there is no way a Turk would want to be seen as a German, to accept their traditions or standarts of life. I don't believe in integration/assimilation, because there is no any good example of it out there....
Mark my words, sooner or later, turks are gonna cause serious problems in Germany. Just like Russians are causing problems in Ukraine now. Who knows...maybe phrase "survival of the fittest" refers to the humans aswell...
No, you are right, the German didn't force Turks to eat weisswurst, Turks are free to eat sucuk or Turkish delight as they please. In fact, in education, Germany has to allocate additional resources to help Turkish children as they are deem to be slower learners. If German Turks want to cause trouble for their adopted country, then that will really test the foundation of German democracy. But I think you are mixing culture with residentship or citizenship. In UK, or Germany or Singapore, people are free to practice their culture and religion, but they are all residents. People are judged by their ability and not by their background, race or religion, unless of course you have serious inferior complexity and is out to cause trouble. But I do agree that helping the less able Turks, enable them to progress economically will reduce social tension, like in any society.

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Mar 7, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct. Another key point is referendum without having to kill each other. In UK, the Scottish will be voting for independent soon. We are not going to send in the tanks even if the result is to split from United kingdom, even if we don't like it. It really depends on how mature your democracy is. In China, I would say no way that works, but then China never pretend to be a democracy anyway. In Iraq or Chechnya, that won't work either, so please don't embrace democracy too early there.
Therefore if Ukraine or EU or American want to believe democracy for Crimea, then surely they have to respect the people's choice, else it will be highly hypocritical.
The USA has a lousy track record. Mugabe has been elected and re-elected more than anyother leader in history. But this does not prevent th3 USA from calling him a dictator. Gaza elected HAMAS. But they have sounded Gaza and attempted to starve them into submission. The USAS policy is not pro-democracy. It is hypocrisy at best.

Saint Louis, MO

#25 Mar 7, 2014
REMEMBER UKRAINIAN FAMINE wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, no free and fair referendum can take place as long as Putin the Dwarf's bandits are occupying Crimea.
The first step is for Putin to withdraw the gang of bandits he has sent to infest Crimea!
You ought to be glad Putin did not send troops into Kiev. So far, not one shot has been fired.
AAA

UK

#26 Mar 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Not true, on the contrary, I believe Putin has made a brilliant move to prevent sectarian violence in order to create a secured environment for democratic process to take place. Just look at the facts on the ground, so far it is tense, but no blood spilled compared to those seen in many western sponsored riots and uprising since Arab spring. Without the local law enforcement, the nationalist Ukrainian will move to suppress Russian speaking natives. Russia will not allow an Syria or Kosovo incident in its backyard, and America is just angry that things are not going according to its plan. Besides external factors, the most important thing is to respect the decision of people of Crime in 8 days time.

Saint Louis, MO

#27 Mar 7, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true, on the contrary, I believe Putin has made a brilliant move to prevent sectarian violence in order to create a secured environment for democratic process to take place. Just look at the facts on the ground, so far it is tense, but no blood spilled compared to those seen in many western sponsored riots and uprising since Arab spring. Without the local law enforcement, the nationalist Ukrainian will move to suppress Russian speaking natives. Russia will not allow an Syria or Kosovo incident in its backyard, and America is just angry that things are not going according to its plan. Besides external factors, the most important thing is to respect the decision of people of Crime in 8 days time.
I am starting to like people in the UK for the first time in my life. My ancestors fought heroically in the American Revolution. And I inherited all their prejudices and feelings. But since UK Parliament voted down Obama's war plans a year ago, UK has been looking very good to me. And I love Her Imperial Royal Majesty.

Long Live the UK!!!
AAA

UK

#28 Mar 7, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
I am starting to like people in the UK for the first time in my life. My ancestors fought heroically in the American Revolution. And I inherited all their prejudices and feelings. But since UK Parliament voted down Obama's war plans a year ago, UK has been looking very good to me. And I love Her Imperial Royal Majesty.
Long Live the UK!!!
You are welcome. Yes, many countries dislike us because of our imperial past, and indeed many bad things had been done. Difference is we do acknowledge the past, unlike the japs. Personally, I grew up in Asia hence I can understand Asian better, not prejudice based on stereo typing. In 21st century Britain, although our politicians are obliged to agree with America all the time, irrespective whether it is right or wrong, the people tend to have an independent mind, especially the educated and well travelled ones.

The rejected Syria military action vote was indeed a success story of how strong public opinion and democracy can triumph over the geopolitical interest advocated by politicians. No way we are making another Iraq mistake.

Saint Louis, MO

#29 Mar 7, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
You are welcome. Yes, many countries dislike us because of our imperial past, and indeed many bad things had been done. Difference is we do acknowledge the past, unlike the japs. Personally, I grew up in Asia hence I can understand Asian better, not prejudice based on stereo typing. In 21st century Britain, although our politicians are obliged to agree with America all the time, irrespective whether it is right or wrong, the people tend to have an independent mind, especially the educated and well travelled ones.
The rejected Syria military action vote was indeed a success story of how strong public opinion and democracy can triumph over the geopolitical interest advocated by politicians. No way we are making another Iraq mistake.
Thanks. You have made the world a better place.
DWARF FUHRER PUTIN

Surrey, Canada

#30 Mar 11, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Crimea was a peaceful and quiet part of Ukraine until the invasion of Putin's Bandits, you moron.

And a fake referendum at the point of a gun held by a Putin Brownshirt, with no foreign observers allowed, is a farce and of absolutely no value whatsoever.
AAA

UK

#31 Mar 11, 2014
DWARF FUHRER PUTIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Crimea was a peaceful and quiet part of Ukraine until the invasion of Putin's Bandits, you moron.
And a fake referendum at the point of a gun held by a Putin Brownshirt, with no foreign observers allowed, is a farce and of absolutely no value whatsoever.
With the overthrown of government in Kiev, ultimately it will lead to a east west divide. Pro-Russian east Ukraine were already taking up arms to defend themselves. You have to see things from the eastern Ukraine or Crimea point of views. If they want a election to decide their future, nobody can tell them they can't.
china says

Lumberton, NC

#32 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Don't be so stupid!
Half of China is under military occupation and the Chinese Communist Party dictatorship, hated by its own people, is so afraid of the notion of a vote for independence in East Turkestan and Tibet,
dont mind RUF here. he is just having a problem coming to to terms with the fact that another political system that is not his own works and that his myopic wishful thinking has failed him. plus the fact that right now we pretty much own his grandchilden and the generation after that.

Saint Louis, MO

#34 Mar 12, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
With the overthrown of government in Kiev, ultimately it will lead to a east west divide. Pro-Russian east Ukraine were already taking up arms to defend themselves. You have to see things from the eastern Ukraine or Crimea point of views. If they want a election to decide their future, nobody can tell them they can't.
Good point. That referendum was scheduled awhile back. All they did was move up the date by a few days.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#35 Mar 12, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
You ought to be glad Putin did not send troops into Kiev. So far, not one shot has been fired.
WRONG, the Russians fired at the Ukranian unarmed soldiers as they marched toward the Russian soldiers. The Russians shot in the air but said next shot they will shoot their legs if they did not stop. The Ukranians were going back to work at the border like before, however the Russians have taken over all the border crossings on the water into Crimea, so now tell me the Russians are not invading Crimea, also lets hear your version of how the new premier was installed into the Crimean government
George

Red Deer, Canada

#36 Mar 12, 2014
Abdurratln wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. That referendum was scheduled awhile back. All they did was move up the date by a few days.
A few DAYS, boy you really are in denial, instead of May it is moved to March, hmmmm and why do you ask, well that is because it is best to do it when the momentum is on your side and right now Russia has everyone in a tizzy, hey didn't you just say there are no Russians in Crimea??? oh you just pick when it suits you, ok, as long as everyone understands your lack of memory.
George

Red Deer, Canada

#37 Mar 12, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
What overthrow???? He was thrown out all right but by vote as he is a criminal and a thief, who would want him as the President?? oh yeah, Putin.
AAA

London, UK

#38 Mar 12, 2014
George wrote:
<quoted text>
What overthrow???? He was thrown out all right but by vote as he is a criminal and a thief, who would want him as the President?? oh yeah, Putin.
Well, if you are right then the people of Crimea will vote the Russian out in a few days time. So far with the pro-Russian maintaining law and order, Crimea is still relatively stable compared to Kiev or even Syria or Egypt, which is important for a referendum.

Likewise, the people of other Ukraine cities or regions have every right to vote for their future if they reject the New "government" in Kiev. Double quote because it has not be democratically elected by people of Ukraine, formed just to please the rioters.

Of course, we hope Ukraine can remain in one piece, but nevertheless EU, US or Russian should all respect the people of Ukraine regardless from of their race, religion or language. This is democracy, and you can't deny it just because it is not working in the way you want it to.
AAA

London, UK

#39 Mar 12, 2014
George wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG, the Russians fired at the Ukranian unarmed soldiers as they marched toward the Russian soldiers. The Russians shot in the air but said next shot they will shoot their legs if they did not stop. The Ukranians were going back to work at the border like before, however the Russians have taken over all the border crossings on the water into Crimea, so now tell me the Russians are not invading Crimea, also lets hear your version of how the new premier was installed into the Crimean government
At least it shows that the pro-Russian wasn't interested in shooting people, just to maintain order, else he would have taken aim at the Ukraine soldier. Tense, but no harm done.
AAA

London, UK

#40 Mar 12, 2014
George wrote:
<quoted text>
A few DAYS, boy you really are in denial, instead of May it is moved to March, hmmmm and why do you ask, well that is because it is best to do it when the momentum is on your side and right now Russia has everyone in a tizzy, hey didn't you just say there are no Russians in Crimea??? oh you just pick when it suits you, ok, as long as everyone understands your lack of memory.
Situation had changed in Kiev, so time is the essence now, else Crimea may not have that opportunity to vote.
Chris

Toronto, Canada

#41 Mar 12, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Situation had changed in Kiev, so time is the essence now, else Crimea may not have that opportunity to vote.
Ukraine is extremely unstable, and the fast resolution is the best.

Russians are not insecure about the vote. 60% of the population is ethnic Russians. Cossacks and some other small groups are with Russians. Pro-Russians claim that they are sure of 77% vote.

Ukraine is in such a dire political and economic shape, and its future is very bleak. There is very little motivation to vote for Ukraine. Even some Crimean Ukrainians say that they will vote for joining Russia, as 20 years of being in Ukraine gave them nothing but hardship, and with violence coming from Kiev, they can expect even less. And after all, Russians are not foreign people to them; they successfully lived in the same state for centuries. There are some anti-Russians Ukrainians, but they are in the Western Ukraine, the types that were expressing their hatefulness in Maidan. Crimeans do not want anything to do with such characters. They want security, and piece.
Rausk

Toronto, Canada

#42 Mar 12, 2014
George wrote:
<quoted text>
No he was not thrown out by vote, but by bloody coup. He was elected, had the vote of confidence of elected parliament, but opposition, since they were minority in the Parliament, staged days of violent bloody protests, where the unarmed police, and the protesters were being shoot by the snipers. The presidentís car was shot at, and his family threatened, so he fled; and so did many of his majority party. There were several more months to the next election, and the violence was unnecessary. But the sponsors of the opposition, which is the West, was obviously impatient and was advising them otherwise. That impatience, however, cost some 100 Ukrainian lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
China's latest earth observation satellite impr... 32 min RayH 1
China to open first high-security bio laborator... 33 min RayH 1
Free Tibet! Taiwan Independence! Democracy Now! 36 min RayH 57
TAIWAN REJECTS "One Country, Two Systems" LIE! 43 min RayH 27
Chinese Boy Shits on Plane Seat. Parents help Him. 57 min RayH 14
Hong Kong PARALYZED by anti-CCP Protests! 1 hr RayH 36
free sex on line usa (Jan '10) 2 hr sami 4

China People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE