I feel more free here than I did in t...

I feel more free here than I did in the USA

Posted in the China Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“I'm From the USA, 5 Years Here”

Since: May 10

Haungshi, China

#1 Aug 4, 2011
A conversation with a graduate student went something like this.

Chinese graduate student "I believe in the American dream"

Me "What is the American dream?"

Chinese graduate student "I am not sure, but I think it's to own my own home, car and have a good job."

Me "That sounds like something you can get here."

Chinese graduate student "Yes of course, but what about freedom?"

Me "You mean, freedom to move about, get a job, get rich?"

Chinese graduate student "Yes, but I was also thinking about free speech."

Me "In my country, the USA, we have free speech, but I think the problem is, what good is free speech when no one is listening?"

Chinese graduate student "You mean the politicians are not listening?"

Me "No, not quiet, what they do is they put on the illusion of listening but only care about the guy with money."

Chinese graduate student "It seems like my country."

Me "Exactly and you know what, I feel like I have more freedom here in China than I did in the USA."

Chinese graduate student "Wow! I have heard the same thing from many foreigners."

End of story

“Is better than Dogma”

Since: Mar 09

Peking Duck University

#2 Aug 4, 2011
In all Communist Countries, whoever tries to talk good for the Red Regime but without Red Authorizations.??? Hmmm ?

Goto Jail.

Haungshi, China

#3 Aug 4, 2011
Cow Dung wrote:
In all Communist Countries, whoever tries to talk good for the Red Regime but without Red Authorizations.??? Hmmm ?
Goto Jail.
Sorry Dung Cow, but your comment doesn't count.
old china

Chengdu, China

#4 Aug 4, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
Chinese graduate student "I am not sure, but I think it's to own my own home, car and have a good job."
Me "In my country, the USA, we have free speech, but I think the problem is, what good is free speech when no one is listening?"
Me "No, not quiet, what they do is they put on the illusion of listening but only care about the guy with money."
Me "Exactly and you know what, I feel like I have more freedom here in China than I did in the USA."
Chinese graduate student "Wow! I have heard the same thing from many foreigners."
End of story
II also have the impression that there is more freedom here. I also get the impression that bitching on the internet in China does get an appropriate response unlike most countries where they view a vote as a delegation of political involvement by the public until the next election.

In the UK they keep banning centuries old games and pastimes in case someone gets hurt. We didn't vote for that. They have more cameras spying on the public than they have in all of China. We didn't vote for that. Large swathes of the general public are scared to go out after dark. We didn't vote for that. In the UK they are fencing off and draining ponds. We didn't vote for that. In China they understand that anybody stupid enough to fall in should be intelligent enough to get out again.

In China the recycling industry will pay for rubbish and collect a couple of times a day and will recycle for you. In the UK there are Bin Police who monitor your separation for recycling, location of the rubbish bin in comparison with the road how long you have left your rubbish bin on display and whether you have thrown away more than your weekly allotment. Then they impose fines on you if you fail the inspection. Needless to say, they collect once every two weeks and change your collection day if it falls on a public holiday which you are supposed to keep track of. We didn't vote for all that either.

And yet the UK claims to be a democracy - the same democracy where we signed up for a commonality of trade and agriculture and ended up loosing our freedoms to a federalised Europe that we didn't sign up for and is largely devoid of representation.
old china

Chengdu, China

#5 Aug 4, 2011
Cow Dung wrote:
Goto Jail.
Its not so much what you say but how you say it. There is on Chinadaily's BBS, for example, a thread titled "Bullet Train Cover Up?" another titled "Chairman Mao - Facts and Truths for the record - examined." another titled "China's Serious Environment Problem " and the one that is most noteworthy "Share your proposals for NPC and CPPCC"
Snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#6 Aug 4, 2011
I heard enough from my Tibetan, Uighur and FLG friends in America, China is not free if you are a minority.
old china

Chengdu, China

#7 Aug 4, 2011
Snowflake wrote:
I heard enough from my Tibetan, Uighur and FLG friends in America, China is not free if you are a minority.
You just mix with the criminal element as those minorities within China get privileged treatment.
Drgunzet

Meridian, ID

#8 Aug 4, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
End of story
Jim En "In my country, the USA, we have free speech, but I think the problem is, what good is free speech when no one is listening?"

----------

What an idiot! Try freedom of speech in China, you would go to jail. How about the father of the child sicken by the milk last year. He was trying to do a little freedom of speech and went to jail.
Drgunzet

Meridian, ID

#9 Aug 4, 2011
Either Jim En is a Chinese or he is a retard American who could not compete in the advanced society in USA.

In China, if you complained about the High-speed rail crash, deadly earth quake due to sub-par construction or poison milk, you go to jail as the government would deem you causing trouble to the state.

In America, you don't have such problem. As I said before, after 400-year of culling by the Manchurians, the Chinese are not that bright. Only through extreme push, they can achieve high score in tests. Jim En is just another idiot among the Chinese.
Drgunzet

Meridian, ID

#10 Aug 4, 2011
Have you ever seen a person with no arrest warrent who were dennied exist from USA?

In China, the state is in total control. If they don't allow you to leave the state, it means you are stuck in the hell-hole.

Is there a one child policy in America? If you have more than one child, what would the state do to the family?

I heard that China already put out some policy one-pet per family in some area. You call that freedom?

Jim En is an idiot. What a retard.

Haungshi, China

#11 Aug 4, 2011
Drgunzet wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim En "In my country, the USA, we have free speech, but I think the problem is, what good is free speech when no one is listening?"
----------
What an idiot! Try freedom of speech in China, you would go to jail. How about the father of the child sicken by the milk last year. He was trying to do a little freedom of speech and went to jail.
Do you believe everything you read in the press? I sure as hell don't, here or in the USA.

Let me put it this way, you seem to believe everything the press says about our enemies, but probably don't believe a lot of stuff you read about our government, the bailouts, our politicians, etc, etc, etc.

I also hope you realize there are only a few news organizations you get your international news from.

Given all of that, why do you selectively believe our government, the press, even the international press?

I base most of what I say on my experiences and observations, not what the news says, regardless of the source, because I have found, more often than not, they are wrong and more than likely base what they write, from what they know from the past.

Seeing is believing, come to China to see for yourself. Most who do come away believing they were mislead for years.

Haungshi, China

#12 Aug 4, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
II also have the impression that there is more freedom here. I also get the impression that bitching on the internet in China does get an appropriate response unlike most countries where they view a vote as a delegation of political involvement by the public until the next election.
In the UK they keep banning centuries old games and pastimes in case someone gets hurt. We didn't vote for that. They have more cameras spying on the public than they have in all of China. We didn't vote for that. Large swathes of the general public are scared to go out after dark. We didn't vote for that. In the UK they are fencing off and draining ponds. We didn't vote for that. In China they understand that anybody stupid enough to fall in should be intelligent enough to get out again.
In China the recycling industry will pay for rubbish and collect a couple of times a day and will recycle for you. In the UK there are Bin Police who monitor your separation for recycling, location of the rubbish bin in comparison with the road how long you have left your rubbish bin on display and whether you have thrown away more than your weekly allotment. Then they impose fines on you if you fail the inspection. Needless to say, they collect once every two weeks and change your collection day if it falls on a public holiday which you are supposed to keep track of. We didn't vote for all that either.
And yet the UK claims to be a democracy - the same democracy where we signed up for a commonality of trade and agriculture and ended up loosing our freedoms to a federalised Europe that we didn't sign up for and is largely devoid of representation.
I remember a story about Sir Elton John, who wanted to ban something. It doesn't matter what that was, but what struck me, at one time his lifestyle was banned. In the past, being gay was a sentence to a mental institution, or worse, death.

I thought what he was doing was similar to what happened in Germany during Hitler. They came for my neighbor and I said nothing, then they came for my friend, again I said nothing, then they came for me and there was no one to say anything.

The UK, from what I can see has become ban crazy. That is not freedom, that is political correctness craziness that is affecting every aspects of their citizens lives. That sounds like a brand new version of totalitarianism.

Since: Aug 08

Shanghai, China

#13 Aug 4, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
You just mix with the criminal element as those minorities within China get privileged treatment.
At least some minorities are not subject to the one child policcy
HKCOWBOY

Irving, TX

#15 Aug 4, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
You're damn right! Whoever doesn't sing aloong with Pary Mama is a "criminal.
bill

Christchurch, New Zealand

#16 Aug 4, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
End of story
Wow what a truly compelling little ditty of unadulterated bull$hit jimmy, I see even your spell checker never picked up "quiet".lol. I think you would be well advised to ask olde china for some basic English lessons, or at least try and pick a more credible charactor to impersonate, for godzake jimmy,, are you really a retired dyslectic news paper editor from the states now living in china with his 3 wife and teaching English?
HKCOWBOY

Irving, TX

#17 Aug 4, 2011
Chinese, especially oversea Chinese has a half brain and a little conscience, wouldn't endorse the CCP regime.
SpongeBob

Saint Catharines, Canada

#18 Aug 4, 2011
Regarding to this thread's title...it's wonderful if all over-sea chinks feel that way. And thing would be wonderful if all of them getting their bums back to the main land. That way when Chingchong starts a war with North America, tax-payers don't have to contribute toward building intern camps to jail...chinks! Aahahhahahahhaha!

“Is better than Dogma”

Since: Mar 09

Peking Duck University

#19 Aug 4, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
Share your proposals for NPC and CPPCC"
You may not know all Communist Govt do read such like in this China Forum and for the N-Korea yeah the Kim Jong-Il is the one online everyday to learn and spy the ideas.
lowly viet

Orange, CA

#20 Aug 4, 2011
I feel sorry for people like Miro...

she has loser racist like HKCOWBOY, SpongeBob, Drgunzet... agreeing with her position...

although Miro is a bit of a nutcase too..

Kid busted for selling lemonade w/o permitFriday, August 06, 2010

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story...
lowly viet

Orange, CA

#21 Aug 4, 2011
HKCOWBOY wrote:
<quoted text>
You're damn right! Whoever doesn't sing aloong with Pary Mama is a "criminal.
^ look another loudmouth American...

More Than Words

Liz Cheney says terrorists have no rights. Also, you're a terrorist.

By Dahlia Lithwick
Posted Friday, March 5, 2010, at 4:08 PM ET

Liz CheneyIt can be argued that when Liz Cheney and Bill Kristol accused nine lawyers in Attorney General Eric Holder's Justice Department of being the "al-Qaida Seven," working in the "Department of Jihad," they were simply exercising their First Amendment right to say anything that would get them on a talk show. This is, after all, America. The right to cynically accuse someone of being a terrorist is protected under the Constitution.

You would think, however, that when Cheney and Kristol launched their execrable "Keep America Safe" Web ad, they would have been very, very careful with their words. In the ad they accuse seven Justice Department lawyers and two colleagues—all of whom had represented Guantanamo detainees—of being members of the Department of Jihad. A screen shot of Osama Bin Laden and a creepy voice-over asks of these attorneys, "Whose values do they share?" Thanks to people like Kristol and Cheney, people take accusations of this sort very seriously. The Justice Department reports being swamped with panicked phone calls since the ad started running this week. In 2010, calling someone a Bin Laden-loving jihadist isn't just meaningless partisan hackery.

Ten years ago, these were just words.

Ten years ago, someone accused of being a terrorist had recourse to the same panoply of rights as everyone else.

Ten years ago, an accused terrorist still had the right to a trial, for instance.

But thanks to people like Liz Cheney and her dad, the Sixth Amendment right to a "speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury" is gone, once you've been branded a terrorist.

Just ask Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. After 9/11, once you're branded an enemy combatant, you can be held for years without any of your constitutionally protected rights, including the right to be told of the charges against you or to confront the witnesses against you.

Thanks to people like Cheney, those alleged to be members of al-Qaida are stripped of their Sixth Amendment right to prove they are not.

But that's not all.

Ten years ago, if you labeled someone a terrorist, he had an Eighth Amendment right to be free from torture, since the very idea of "cruel and unusual punishment" was anathema, even for our enemies.

But thanks to people like Liz Cheney and the brave souls at the Bush Office of Legal Counsel, it's OK to torture terrorists these days. As long as you're pretty sure they're terrorists. This is good news for the Cheney way of thinking, because it means that you can abuse a possible terrorist into admitting that he actually is a terrorist without all that fact-finding necessitated by a criminal trial.

But there's even more.

Ten years ago, if some paranoid hysteric accused you of being an al-Qaida sympathizer or a jihadist, you could find a lawyer to help you make the case that you were not.

But in the ever-expanding war on the Bill of Rights being waged by Liz Cheney, once you're designated a terrorist, you lose your Sixth Amendment right to counsel. Because just by representing you—even if you're acquitted—your lawyers become terrorists, too!

Given that the Bill of Rights pretty much evaporates once you've been deemed a jihadi lover of Bin Laden, you might think Liz Cheney would be super-careful tossing around such words.

They have very serious legal implications

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Why Are Chinamen So Stupid? (Jun '10) 11 hr urdearfather 240
News Mainland agents - tipped off Hong Kong about Si... 20 hr TW_sugar_daddio 13
I HATE CHINA (in response to "why do Westerners... (Nov '08) Thu Fuckthechinese 2,558
White Privilege Privilege Nov 28 Lisa 1
India to outpace China to be No.1 economy by 20... (Mar '12) Nov 28 FREE TIBET 163
News Here's what 5 of your favorite products would c... Nov 27 Bill 1
News China, Afghanistan, Pakistan agree to work for ... (Dec '13) Nov 26 KIA 82
More from around the web