Posted in the China Forum

NWO

Hicksville, NY

#1 May 15, 2013
Collapse of an Empire: Why America Fell So Far … So Fast

All Empires Crash Soon After They Reach Their Peak

By Washington's Blog
Global Research, May 07, 2013

Thomas Edison said,“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” And because I love my country, I frequently criticize America’s shortcomings in the hopes of making her better.

But the truth is that the United States is not unusual … it is just like all other empires which have hit their peak and then quickly crashed.

We noted in 2008:

Political insider and veteran reporter Kevin Phillips has documented that every major empire over the past several hundred years has undergone a predictable cycle of collapse, usually within 10 to 20 years of its peak power.

The indications are always the same:

- The financialization of the economy, moving from manufacturing to speculation;

- Very high levels of debt;

- Extreme economic inequality;

– And costly military overreaching.

We wrote in 2009:

In 2000, America was described as the sole remaining superpower – or even the world’s “hyperpower”. Now we’re in real trouble (at the very least, you have to admit that we’re losing power and wealth in comparison with China).

How did it happen so fast?

How Empires Fall

Paul Farrel provides a bigger-picture analysis, quoting Jared Diamond and Marc Faber.

Diamond’s book’s, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, studies the collapse of civilizations throughout history, and finds:

Civilizations share a sharp curve of decline. Indeed, a society’s demise may begin only a decade or two after it reaches its peak population, wealth and power…

One of the choices has depended on the courage to practice long-term thinking, and to make bold, courageous, anticipatory decisions at a time when problems have become perceptible but before they reach crisis proportions.
STOP WARMONGERING

Hicksville, NY

#2 May 15, 2013
Empires which fight “one too many wars” always collapse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News China pollution scandal: air, water in school n... Apr 28 toxic China 1
News Today in History - Thursday, April 21 Apr 28 truth 5
News How China's Debt Fix Could Make Things Much Worse Apr 26 tricky gang no idear 1
News Michael Jackson theme park based on his Neverla... Apr 24 RIP Prince 1
China Is First Country Ever To Host Two Olympic... (Aug '15) Apr 24 China world 6
News China's Xi moves to take more direct command ov... Apr 22 MAO 2point0 1
News Chinese electric car maker enters US market by ... Apr 21 The diplomat 1
More from around the web