Philippines Asia's Strongest Performing Economy

Nov 23, 2012 Full story: Manila Bulletin 6,095

THE value of Philippine merchandise exports grew by 22.8% to $4.8 billion in September, 2012, higher than the $3.9 billion shipped out in the same month in 2011, making the country the strongest performer among Southeast and East Asian nations.

Read more
First Prev
of 305
Next Last
lol

San Francisco, CA

#6654 Nov 17, 2013
rizalkany wrote:
<quoted text>
youre kidding right? Lines are a huge problem with filipinos. Cant seem to handle it in any way. Where a line should be looks for like a crowd from a rock concert
read my post again???? and don't kid yourself of not being able to comprehend...
Martin Nuke

Makati, Philippines

#6655 Nov 17, 2013
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE wrote:
<quoted text>
so you are a half half Filipino
My mother is American citizen my father is FIlipino citizen but my mother is Pinay she was born and raised there I used to live in Orange County Los Angeles near Knotsberry Farm.
Callous

Pasig City, Philippines

#6656 Nov 18, 2013
Don the American wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh id help the Philippines in calamities like this but that's all. No military humanitarian or economic aid though. Someone has to look out for the children which are the innocent victims of a failed corrupt country.
This guy's a major LOSER. He bashes the Philippines but lives there like a bloodsucking leech. Just leave you LEECH. LEECH. LEECH
mutiara

Surabaya, Indonesia

#6657 Nov 18, 2013
News Analysis: Slower growth, more poverty feared in Philippines after super-typhoon
English.news.cn 2013-11-16 15:00:13
By Alito L. Malinao

MANILA, Nov. 16 (Xinhua)-- Due to the vast devastation and huge loss of lives wrought by super-typhoon Haiyan (locally named Yolanda) that slammed the Central Philippines a week ago, the country' economic growth could slow down and the incidence of poverty could rise.

On Friday, the Philippines' National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), the top economic policy-making body of the government, said that the country's gross domestic product (GDP) could grow by only 4.1 percent in the fourth quarter.

The NEDA is now saying that the full-year GDP growth could range from 6.5 and 7 percent, slower than the earlier forecast of 7.3 percent. But the full-year GDP growth forecast still remains at the high end of the government's 2013 target of 6 to 7 percent.

In a statement, NEDA Director General Arsenio Balisacan acknowledged the need for massive relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts to ease the impact of the calamity on the economy.

"To ensure that we regain lost ground the soonest, we need to accelerate the implementation of social and economic development projects," Balisacan said.

Earlier, Balisacan also said that Haiyan and other natural calamities that have struck the Philippines could push more households into "transient" poverty.

He said that a significant portion of the country's poor are " transient poor" or people who were previously not poor but were suddenly pushed below the poverty line because of untoward incidents, including natural calamities.

The latest poverty report said that 27.9 percent of Filipinos were living below the poverty line in the first semester of 2012.

Based on initial government estimate, the overall cost of damage in the regions affected by the typhoon has reached 761,400, 371.89 pesos (about 17.7 million U.S. dollars), more than 560 million pesos (13 million U.S. dollars) of which came from the agriculture sector.

Haiyan hit the Central Philippine region of Visayas less than a month after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck and severely affected the island-provinces of Bohol and Cebu in the region.

Surprisingly, a major international rating agency has said that despite the massive destruction brought about by super-typhoon Haiyan, the Philippines' economic fundamentals have remained intact.

In a report this week, Moody's Investor Service that while the loss of lives and damage to property were "overwhelming," the overall effect on the real economy was likely to be muted.

Moody's said that Haiyan may be the worst calamity to hit Southeast Asia in nearly a decade that rivaled in scale only by the Indian Ocean tsunami that struck Indonesia in 2004.

However, while the loss in human lives was overwhelming, the overall effect on the real economy was likely to be muted.

Moody's explained that the contribution of the local economies of Leyte and other provinces in the Visayas that hit hard by Haiyan to the overall GDP was little compared to that of Metro Manila and the Southern Luzon Region which contributed 53 percent of the GDP in 2012.
Dubai City Boy

Dubai, UAE

#6658 Nov 30, 2013
After Haiyan...It's showing that the Philippines is poor and no money. Begging and waiting for other countires for help. Poor Poor Poor and Poor
Anonymous

Malolos, Philippines

#6659 Feb 20, 2014
Remember this, you can insult us, you can say what you want, but one day our country will surpassed yours, because all the bad things that you did to us will go back to you " I believe in karma"
Anonymous

Malolos, Philippines

#6660 Feb 20, 2014
Hey don' t you ever in insult our country like that!! The way you answer, you are more like a rat and hopeless!!!
Anonymous

Malolos, Philippines

#6661 Feb 20, 2014
Dubai City Boy wrote:
After Haiyan...It's showing that the Philippines is poor and no money. Begging and waiting for other countires for help. Poor Poor Poor and Poor
Don' t you ever insult us, remember that you country came to poverty also, and remember that in the late 50's our country is richer than you because philippines is the second richest country in Asia, so you don' t have the right to judge us !!!!
Anonymous

Malolos, Philippines

#6662 Feb 20, 2014
Don the American wrote:
<quoted text>
Its amazing that Flips would think that joining the U.S. would be an option. We don't want them we would never accept them, we cant afford them. What in the the world would the Philippines bring to us? Nothing but trouble. Inherent corruption, extreme racial prejudice. A nation that its people are so bad they cant govern themselves?
Ill check but I don't think there is a country that give up and turned itself over to another country because it was too ignorant and corrupt. Pinoy pride!!!LOL!!!
A shame of yourself, you have even the guts to say that to us, and then you lived in our country, you don't even think that!!!!
olz

San Juan, Philippines

#6663 Feb 20, 2014
Callous wrote:
<quoted text>This guy's a major LOSER. He bashes the Philippines but lives there like a bloodsucking leech. Just leave you LEECH. LEECH. LEECH
What is there to leech from? Even breathing air here has a fee for us white residents. Its more likely we bring more money to your corrupt country than us leeching anything.
Leonard

Hillsboro, OR

#6665 Jan 9, 2015
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Filipino Chinese or Chinese from outside Philippines, any particular place? I am curious
From China---many places.
Leonard

Hillsboro, OR

#6666 Jan 9, 2015
xyz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah with the help of the pinoys.
But you have forgotten all the good things they have done for the Philippines. Without them pinas will be even worst than it is.
If smugglers are such a problem, why not change the law and execute them? But of course they cant because some pinoy are benefiting out of it.
they are a very Catholic country---they believe in life---so do not have a death penalty
Leonard

Hillsboro, OR

#6667 Jan 9, 2015
joules wrote:
<quoted text>
What's more alarming are the locally manufactured illegal drugs. Shabu or crystal meth is manufactured in clandestine meth labs in PH, sold locally and exported to other countries. They are ran by interntional syndicates, mostly chinese as you suspect. So smuggled drugs is relatively less significant as homegrown ones.
overwhelmingly chinese regardless

Since: Dec 14

Location hidden

#6668 Jan 9, 2015
Not saying Philippines is poor but I have few questions and those questions are what I hate about Philippines most.
1. why are there so much spammers? its true even they know them self.
2. why you can't help someone if it takes your few minutes? I have been trying to find about my girlfriend who I lost contact with in last typhoon but no one helping. not even D.O.J. not even N.B.I. no even peoples who lives 5 minutes away from her address who can go and tell me what's going on there.

These 2 things I hate most nothing else. Hope god bless you all except who can help and not helping and spammers, lol
Alejandro

Hayes, UK

#6669 Jan 9, 2015
Leonard wrote:
<quoted text>
overwhelmingly chinese regardless
Yeah, the bishop is also Chinese.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 305
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Germany's Merkel signals Japan could do more to... 12 hr WORMDRUGABEMIDEBD... 153
many filipina are slut, cheap, backstabber and (Jul '13) 12 hr Yea 9
Poll Chinese girls likes Indian men and try to get s... (Oct '10) 21 hr BONNIE WANG 333
News On This Day: People's Republic of China Replace... Thu bobs56 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Wed swedenforever 32
News China uses abortion pill to cut gerbil population (Mar '09) Wed dragoon70056 27
china , russia , india toomb america out of asia Mar 21 so good 1
More from around the web