Are Northeast Indians ethnically same...

Are Northeast Indians ethnically same as Chinese?

Posted in the China Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Northeast

Glasgow, UK

#1 Feb 28, 2010
I am not talking about Tibetan and Burmese people that also can be found in Northeast India and other parts but the other people who look very Chinese. And since The Northeast partly shares a borer with China while other parts being close to China, I was wondering if the two peoples share any historical links in terms of genetic lineage.
Northeast

Glasgow, UK

#2 Feb 28, 2010
There are also lot of mixed people there, especially in places like Assam, but here is a typical full-blooded Northeastern Indians look like (below). To me, they look identical to Chinese. Well, it would be wrong to call them Northeastern because these days some have migrated to other major Indian cities like Banglare, Mumbai, Gurgaon, Hyderabad and especilly Delhi, so can be be anywhere. But they originate from the Northeast and majority and millions that still remain there, of course.

http://www.incredible-northeastindia.com/imag...
INK

Ermington, Australia

#3 Feb 28, 2010
They look more Burmese and Thai !
Oops

Köln, Germany

#4 Feb 28, 2010
Northeast wrote:
There are also lot of mixed people there, especially in places like Assam, but here is a typical full-blooded Northeastern Indians look like (below). To me, they look identical to Chinese. Well, it would be wrong to call them Northeastern because these days some have migrated to other major Indian cities like Banglare, Mumbai, Gurgaon, Hyderabad and especilly Delhi, so can be be anywhere. But they originate from the Northeast and majority and millions that still remain there, of course.
http://www.incredible-northeastindia.com/imag...
Hailing from Eastern India, and having a lot of friends from the North East, I have a different take on this. People from the
North East are different tribes who have different languages
and cultures, so they are not a homogenous bunch of people.
Although, ethnically they may be all Mongoloids or mix like in
Assam or Tripura, but they are all different tribes. There are
Christians, Hindus, Budhists & a few muslims.

The interesting thing about these people is that most of them speak very good English, and follow western music passionately,
which is something I fail to find an explanation for. Most of them love football, which is quite different from the other regions in India where cricket rules. Most of those I have come across are
simple uncomplicated bunch of people who like to party and have fun
and live for the day, which is quite unlike in India
and China.
aabb

Glasgow, UK

#5 Mar 1, 2010
Oops wrote:
<quoted text>
Hailing from Eastern India, and having a lot of friends from the North East, I have a different take on this. People from the
North East are different tribes who have different languages
and cultures, so they are not a homogenous bunch of people.
Although, ethnically they may be all Mongoloids or mix like in
Assam or Tripura, but they are all different tribes. There are
Christians, Hindus, Budhists & a few muslims.
The interesting thing about these people is that most of them speak very good English, and follow western music passionately,
which is something I fail to find an explanation for. Most of them love football, which is quite different from the other regions in India where cricket rules. Most of those I have come across are
simple uncomplicated bunch of people who like to party and have fun
and live for the day, which is quite unlike in India
and China.
Well, its India afterall, so don't be surprised if they can speak good English because English is after all the second most widely spoken language in India.

Yes, a lot of them, especially the tribal groups, have been Christianized by missionaries but in places like Assam, which has nearly 27 million people, Hinduism still remains the largest religion and there are many Muslims there too. And most women in states like Assam wear the sari.

I really hope India builds better connections (infrastaructure) between Eastern India and Northeast India and develops these places as much as they would the bigger and more centralised states. All Indians must experience the economic growth. The more economic prosperity they feel, the less calls for independent Nagaland, independent Manipur, etc. These states must be made to feel more Indian.

I know that in recent years a lot of Northeasterners have migrated to other parts of India and many now work in the hospitality industry, clubs, call centres and many more are students at universities in places like Delhi, Bangalore, so that's good.
naithau shaishing

Guwahati, India

#6 Jun 20, 2011
stop seeing our faces we are also indians and we are proud to say we are indians we don't wan't us to be related to the chinese or something even if we genetically have some relation with them in the past we are happy with being true blooded indians we don't have any objections..all and clear
wincar

Europe

#7 Jun 25, 2011
NE is kind of melting pot where people from 4 corners of the world meet & selter. Many people from Manipur, Nagaland & Mizoram are those people who escaped china when Great Wall of china was built. Majority are of burmese, chinese, thais, bangali origin.
Whocares

Europe

#8 Jun 25, 2011
I heard that the dominant community of assam ie, ahom originated from thai but now they all look like bengali & other mainland indians. It high time now something need to be done otherwise we yellow people in the region will become black/brown in near future.
wincar

Europe

#9 Jun 25, 2011
wincar wrote:
Majority are of burmese, chinese, thais, bangali origin.
majority of the people claimed that they originated from burma, china, thailand, bengal etc.etc.(not as mention in the quotation)
Annam

Central District, Hong Kong

#10 Jun 25, 2011
You heard of Sikkim - an independent country under Chinese suzertainty inhabited by Tibetans?

It was annexed by India a few decades ago, and its king went into exile.

It is surprised that India and Indians have already forgotten about it, and claim that they care about Tibetans.
hidsun

Dubai, UAE

#11 Nov 12, 2011
NE Indian ppl range from pure mongoloid to a mix of caucasoid-mongoloid (even indians r caucasoid, except for few south Indians who r a mix of austroloid-caucasoid). im south indian and gonna marry a NE Indian girl, She looks like a pure Han Chinese even to me..
Anonymous

Birmingham, AL

#12 Jan 21, 2012
Whocares wrote:
I heard that the dominant community of assam ie, ahom originated from thai but now they all look like bengali & other mainland indians. It high time now something need to be done otherwise we yellow people in the region will become black/brown in near future.
Black/brown in near future?
Well, if you go to Thailand, the Philippines, Burma, etc., there are some Asian people that do have brown skin. And some of them are naturally brown.
Gangte

United States

#13 Apr 14, 2012
Chinese uh! Indians uh! Burmese uh! Thais uh! U ol suckz,wat civilization r u guys 4rm. If u dnt kno abt NE,jst keep quite.is it ur business? Even in the 21st century,u ol ask dis type of silly question wen people have long already land on moon? Go and study your geography buks LOSERZ! Leave us (NORTHEAST) ALONE!
feeling sorry

United States

#15 May 22, 2012
i am foreigner who comes from east asia i have heard a lot about norteast state of india. I feel sorry for racist discrimation that is happening to them. These tribal people have their own cultures and languages which is very much different from my culture. If we talk about looks for me i feel the nort east people looks more like burmese their neighbouring country bcoz they do have such a brownist skin(most of them) sometime i read in new paper i used to see people from norteast comment that their language,culture,food and look are like people who come fro east asia. I am sorry to say that they were wrong. how they said such a thing!! I can believe eye.. Why they always compare to east asia people. Even If we share the same feature or look but in reality u can't deny that u are indian u are not even chinese or burmese. Wake up and be proud of who u are! Stop comparing ur self to other people outside india.
Momonn-Structure

Delhi, India

#16 Jul 24, 2012
=following the above mentioned comment=( Its not all about comparing ourselves to other people outside India, None ever have been compared. We are still proud what we are, What is the gain and loss if we compare with outside Asian people. But the fact is that some part of the, lets say, foods, culture and some parts of the lifestyle and people or whatever are somewhat similar other than most of the Indian culture and this is what we might have mentioned. Now, I can say since we are part of the India we are now a very much infatuated and conventional with Indian cultures. We're still proud to be Indian and nothing else.!!)
desi kuri

Accrington, UK

#17 Jul 27, 2012
sexiest Indian ladies here...

www.eatcity.co.uk
epep

Croydon, UK

#18 Jul 27, 2012
desi kuri wrote:
sexiest Indian ladies here...
www.eatcity.co.uk
yes, you south asians ( indians from india, pakistanis, desi people ) males should keep to your own race women.

we chinese people do not want you south asians marrying our chinese daughters, sisters, or potential spouses.
sweetlady

Philippines

#19 Sep 28, 2012
I'm a Latina but I had a boyfriend of two years who is from Nagaland (we're still in very good terms to this day). When I first met him, I was very ignorant about India so I mistook him for a Filipino & not Chinese and I was surprised when he told me he's 100% Indian. Anyway he told me about the discrimination that his people are facing in the "mainland", the separatist movement (but neither he nor his parents & other family members is involved), etc. As I'm educating myself more about his culture & seeing the conditions of the poor people in remote villages there, I can't help but feel sad for these people. Although I think that the government is doing actions for these people but I think its still not enough. But I do hope that someday the people will have more access to education, health care services etc. On the positive note, I'm fascinated with their culture most especially the Hornbill festival plus their colorful costumes. He even showed me a pic of her niece in that costume that I really like.
sweetlady

Philippines

#20 Sep 28, 2012
And by the way, I think its not fair to question a person's nationality & to discriminate him simply because of his looks nor his practices. No wonder these people want to distance themselves from the central government. Indian is not a race, its just a nationality much like American or Canadian & as long as you are a citizen then you are considered one. Lastly whatever your racial classification is, remember that we are all humans & deserve to be treated as one.
Shaun Jickling

Edmonton, Canada

#21 Sep 28, 2012
They are Tibetans.

Can u see the evidence of Indian aggression here?

Sikkim was annexed by India in 1970's. That was a Tibetan kingdom.

The king died in USA in the '80's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Chinese Barbaric? (Nov '07) 8 hr Jynxie 693
many filipina are slut, cheap, backstabber and (Jul '13) Tue Poscer 17
United States Crushes China in 2016 Summer Olym... Aug 22 Leonard 68 1
News The Chinese admiral who spread Islam across Sou... Aug 21 Khan 2
Are Asians Inherently Smarter? (Apr '12) Aug 19 Yourhusband 130
how would you destroy china? :d (Jul '12) Aug 16 Free Tibet 1,705
News 25 years on, no fading of Tiananmen wounds, ideals (May '14) Aug 15 JUNE FOURTH MASSACRE 130
More from around the web