China bans Cantonese and Cantonese Opera !!!

Posted in the China Forum

PeterN

Canada

#1 Nov 25, 2012
China is afraid of Cantonese people, and therefore ban their language and opera.

We know that the 30 million Cantonese people are closer by blood to Vietnamese people and they have intention to re-unite with Vietnam. The 30 million are minority of China, and want to join the 60 million brothers south of the border.

It is true that Cantonese is similar to Vietnamese and Mandarin, but it is a lot more similar to the former than the latter, although all 3 languages share the same root and the people descended from the same ancient ancestors.

The customs, culture and arts of Canton are basically the same as those in Vietnam. Cantonese opera is very much like Vietnamese opera!!!

Now China tries to ban Cantonese and Cantonese opera in order to assimilate th 30 million Cantonese to eliminate the risk of separation from China!!!

Support Cantonese people!!!
J Tranh

Edmonton, Canada

#2 Nov 26, 2012
Important & interesting post.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#3 Nov 26, 2012
You got to be a retard to believe this.
epep

Swindon, UK

#4 Nov 26, 2012
PeterN wrote:
China is afraid of Cantonese people, and therefore ban their language and opera.
We know that the 30 million Cantonese people are closer by blood to Vietnamese people and they have intention to re-unite with Vietnam. The 30 million are minority of China, and want to join the 60 million brothers south of the border.
It is true that Cantonese is similar to Vietnamese and Mandarin, but it is a lot more similar to the former than the latter, although all 3 languages share the same root and the people descended from the same ancient ancestors.
The customs, culture and arts of Canton are basically the same as those in Vietnam. Cantonese opera is very much like Vietnamese opera!!!
Now China tries to ban Cantonese and Cantonese opera in order to assimilate th 30 million Cantonese to eliminate the risk of separation from China!!!
cantonese people do not see themselves as being closely related to vietnamese people.

cantonese people see themselves as part of China.

cantonese people see themselves as part of chinese culture.

i think cantonese people are more different to vietnamese people than to northern chinese people.

because, generally, cantonese score slightly higher on IQ test than vietnamese.

and cantonese people's personality are different to vietnamese.

i think cantonese people are more related to east asian people.

and i think vietnamese people are more related to south east asian people.

and about vietnamese opera being similar to cantonese opera. that is because vietnamese people copied cantonese opera.

vietnamese culture ( before the french colonistation of vietnam ) was a copy of chinese culture. the vietnamese once used the chinese writing system before the french influenced the vietnamese to copy the european alphabet system.
epep

Swindon, UK

#5 Nov 26, 2012
PeterN wrote:
cantonese people do not see themselves as being closely related to vietnamese people.

cantonese people see themselves as part of China.

cantonese people see themselves as part of chinese culture.

i think cantonese people are more different to vietnamese people than to northern chinese people.

because, generally, cantonese people score slightly higher on IQ test than vietnamese people.

and cantonese people's personality are different to vietnamese people.

i think cantonese people are more related to east asian people.

and i think vietnamese people are more related to south east asian people.

and about vietnamese opera being similar to cantonese opera. that is because vietnamese people copied cantonese opera.

vietnamese culture ( before the french colonistation of vietnam ) was a copy of chinese culture. the vietnamese once used the chinese writing system before the french influenced the vietnamese to copy the european alphabet system.
bobyouruncle

Toronto, Canada

#6 Dec 1, 2012
How does this Peter idiot know that there is 30 million Cantonese? I think it's around 100 million Cantonese.
I am Cantonese

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Dec 1, 2012
Stupid Viet , when did china ban the cantonese opera ? there are Peking opera , fujian opera and very many kind of opera In china
old china

Chengdu, China

#8 Dec 1, 2012
PeterN wrote:
Mandarin is the dominant language in China just as English is the dominant international language. Adopting English as the most convenient and widely used method of communication does not mean that it outlaws other languages any more than the Chinese nation adopting Mandarin as the most widely used language in China means that other dialects are also outlawed as illegal.

However, if you wish to isolate yourself then stick to the local dialect and you'll have your granny to talk to while she is still alive.
bll

Auckland, New Zealand

#9 Dec 2, 2012
Protests have erupted in Hong Kong and Guangzhou over a plan by Guangzhou officials to ban Cantonese the language of southern China from prime-time television. Some Cantonese speakers say the move is an attack against their culture.

In scorching heat, scores of protesters in Hong Kong marched earlier this week to urge the city's government and Chinese authorities to preserve the Cantonese language and culture in southern China.

The protesters were angry over reports that Chinese authorities asked TV stations in Guangzhou to broadcast prime-time programs in Mandarin, also known as Putonghua, instead of Cantonese. Guangzhou is the capital of Guangdong province, a booming manufacturing and business region.

The request came ahead of the Asian Games, which Guangzhou will hold in November. Thousands of Mandarin-speaking spectators are expected to attend the games.

Choi Suk-fong, the rally organizer, says authorities should not suppress one language in favor of another.

"Why can't Cantonese and Putonghua co-exist? Cantonese is an important part of the culture of the mainland and south China, and deserve respect and preservation," Choi said. "We shall defend and protect Cantonese from any threat of elimination."

Cantonese is spoken by approximately 70 million Chinese, mostly in southern China's Guangdong province, and in neighboring Hong Kong and Macau. Hong Kong's boisterous film and music industries have spread the language's influence through movies and songs that are popular in China and in Chinese immigrant communities around the world.

Beijing made Mandarin the country's official language in 1982. Despite having a national language, many Chinese people still have difficulty communicating with each other because of the dozens of regional dialects and languages in the country.

Andrew To, a member of the League of Social Democrats in Hong Kong, says the move to champion Mandarin further limits freedom of expression in the mainland.

"It's to sabotage the local tradition and culture of the Chinese people," said To. "We should maintain local culture and tradition because the People's Republic of China is a pluralistic society."

Guangzhou officials warned residents last week against rumor-mongering and participating in illegal protests over the issue.

But on Sunday, hundreds protested in Guangzhou for the second time in a week a rarity in the mainland where protests usually are banned. A few protesters and journalists were shown on television being dragged away by security authorities.

Unlike their compatriots in the mainland, Hong Kong residents can freely stage protests, under the "one country, two systems" formula of administration.

A handful of Guangdong residents joined the march in Hong Kong, like this student who said the protesters have a right to express their opinion about protecting Cantonese.

But he wore a mask to hide his identity, saying he fears a backlash when he returns to the mainland.

REPORTER: "What kind of problems?"

STUDENT: "I don't know. But it's a good idea to not to let those things happen so I wear a mask."

He wore a T-shirt that said "You want us to shut up, we will speak louder in Cantonese."

Guangzhou government officials have tried to allay concerns about Cantonese, saying the government will continue to promote the language and culture. They say the government has no intention of abolishing or weakening Cantonese.
bll

Auckland, New Zealand

#10 Dec 2, 2012
Cantonese speakers are protesting against CCP's suppression of Cantonese with a recently proposed ban on Cantonese on TV. CCP wants to standardize all languages spoken in China around Mandarin to preserve "national harmony", because CCP fears a division of China along the language line when CCP's grip on China weakens.

Which is ironic because Cantonese is considered to be the closest to real Chinese language, while Mandarin is basically a foreign language imposed upon Chinese by Manchu conquerors
bll

Auckland, New Zealand

#11 Dec 2, 2012
well,, what do you expect from dumb arSe nazi commie princelings?

Since: Mar 08

Portland, OR

#12 Dec 2, 2012
bll wrote:
well,, what do you expect from dumb arSe nazi commie princelings?
incredible---the CCP is turning more and more against their own citizens.....well I mean the CCP was already squashing most of its citizens but this info just amazes me
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#13 Dec 2, 2012
Leonard 68 wrote:
<quoted text>
incredible---the CCP is turning more and more against their own citizens.....well I mean the CCP was already squashing most of its citizens but this info just amazes me
You got to be a retard if you believe such stories.
bll

Auckland, New Zealand

#15 Dec 2, 2012
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
You got to be a retard if you believe such stories.
which part is untrue rayhole??
Jeff

Edmonton, Canada

#16 Dec 3, 2012
bobyouruncle wrote:
How does this Peter idiot know that there is 30 million Cantonese? I think it's around 100 million Cantonese.
-- Cantonese people in China > 120 million (not incl. those in overseas, most of them are related to the south.)

- China has many many operas, most share common origin (e.g. Kun Opera, Taiwan opera, Yue (Cant.) opera, Yue (Shanghai) Opera, chao Opera (Chao Zhou)...

- China did not ban Cantonese TV broadcast. Canton officials just want to make putonghua broadcast the main type in prime time.

- More reasonable to have Vietnamese (60 million) merge into China's Cantonese groups (120 m).

- I am Cantonese, but I can't understand what VN people say. They can't understand me either.

- A lot of customs and habits (e.g. eating/cuisines) are very different between Cant. and VN people.

- VN ultra-nationalistic people say 60% of China's territory used to belong to VN. Do you believe it?(Some Koreans make the same statement too.)
ARYAN RESISTANCE

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Dec 3, 2012
In America we speak English!
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#18 Dec 3, 2012
bll wrote:
<quoted text>
which part is untrue rayhole??
The title of this thread, Abo Bill.
2 Cents

Taipei, Taiwan

#19 Dec 3, 2012
Who the hell cares? It's not like they're banning shark fin soup. Man, that's good stuff, especially with crab and some dried scallops. In my opinion, Just as good as veal, caviar and foei gras.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tense China-Japan relations overshadow the case... 7 min Go Blue Forever 38
News Germany's Merkel signals Japan could do more to... 9 hr IRADRUDAEGUMIDEBD... 390
CCP will be overthrown by Chinese (Feb '13) 20 hr Big and bang 212
Poll Why Are Chinamen So Stupid? (Jun '10) 20 hr Big and black 234
Poll do chinese girls want black man husband? (Oct '08) 20 hr Big and black 2,605
I HATE CHINA (in response to "why do Westerners... (Nov '08) 20 hr Big and bad 2,552
News Senators Want China Disinvited From Naval Exerc... Tue Yakult 2
More from around the web