CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

China state television host calls to ‘clean out foreign trash,’ then apologizes (sorta)

Yang Rui, host of CCTV-9's English-language talk show, Dialogue, is under fire for a microblog posting he made last week calling for the China to "Clean out foreign garbage."

By Ed Flanagan, NBC News

BEIJING – Following recent high-profile examples of foreigners behaving badly in China, last week saw a spike of anti-foreigner sentiment that culminated in the announcement of a hundred day Beijing police crackdown on illegal immigration.

Among the commentators who applauded the crackdown was Yang Rui, a television host on China’s state-run English-language TV network, CCTV-9. On his microblog on China’s Twitter-like service, Weibo, Yang posted a bile-laden diatribe on how China’s Public Security Bureau should deal with foreigners (Thanks to China Smack for the translation).

The Ministry of Public Security must clean out foreign garbage, arrest foreign thugs and protect ignorant/innocent girls, with Wudaokou (Popular student area in Beijing) and Sanlitun (Bar & restaurant district in Beijing] being the disaster areas [worst places]. Behead the snake heads [human traffickers], the unemployed Americans and Europeans who come to China to make money, trafficking in people, misleading the public and encouraging them to emigrate. Identify the foreign spies, who find a Chinese woman to cohabitate with, while their job is to collect intelligence, drawing maps and perfecting GPS [coordinates] for Japan, Korea, Europe, and America under the guise of being tourists. Drive out the foreign shrew, shut down Al-Jazeera’s Beijing Office, let those who demonize China shut their mouths and f--k off!
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

The vitriol in Yang’s post is appalling but is made all the more worse by his day job. Yang co-hosts “Dialogue,” a current event news talk program in the vein of “Meet the Press” and the “Charlie Rose Show.” On his program, Yang invites foreign experts to discuss topical world and China-related news.

That Yang holds such inflammatory opinions of foreigners is worrying, given that he’s the host of one of CCTV’s more venerable news programs charged with providing a forum for the civil exchange of ideas and opinions between China and the outside world.

Ad hominem attacks on foreigners aside, particularly worrying are Yang’s charges that foreign spies have infiltrated China-- at a time when Chinese suspicions of foreign containment are already running high.

Yang’s comments come after a series of high-profile incidents that have provoked extreme nationalist rhetoric in public debate: sovereignty in the South China Seas, American recommitment to Asia and the recent kidnapping of Chinese fishing vessels by North Korea.

Guests who have appeared on Yang’s show have contributed to the negative fall-out. The Atlantic’s James Fallows –who during his years in China appeared now and then on the programme– posted an excellent piece on his blog about what it was like to appear on “Dialogue.” Similarly, Charlie Custer, founder of tech blog China Geeks and a two-time guest on the show also expressed his outrage and even confronted Yang on Weibo about his post.

Yang responded on Weibo by calling for the Public Security Bureau to investigate Custer and even threatened to sue him.

One thing that is clear from the reaction by Fallows, Custer, and other foreign guests: It’s about to get a little bit harder for Yang to find foreigners willing to appear on his show.

Explanation or apology?

NBC News attempted to call Yang; an email sent to him today went unanswered. But the embattled host penned a statement in today’s edition of the Global Times, apparently as a response to a Wall Street Journal story about the incident.
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

In this statement, Yang claimed his comments were a reaction to last week’s news and a “wake-up call” for both Westerners and Chinese. While he acknowledged that there was a “silent majority in the expat communities who obey and respect our culture and society,” by singling out the “foreign trash,” Yang argues he was “protecting the reputation of decent Westerners.”

However, he stood by his comments on Al Jazeera and the “foreign shrew,” a reference to Al Jazeera correspondent, Melissa Chan, who earlier this month became the first foreign reporter to be expelled from China in more than a decade.

Yang remains unapologetic about his characterization of Chan, only making the point that translations of his post had mislabeled her “b—ch” instead of “shrew.”

China is currently investing millions of dollars into what have been branded as “soft power” initiatives, designed to improve the mainland’s global standing. They include the development of enterprises like CCTV America, China’s new 24-hour cable news channel seen in the United States, which is meant to provide a more polished and China-centric interpretation of world news.

The success of such programming will rely significantly on China’s willingness to provide a measured and open look at itself. But that willingness looks threatened by examples of Yang.
RayH

Guangzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Mirolyuba: If you come to China, you'll be thrown out with the trash too. Just don't put your feet in some lady's hair.
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

I visit all the time and the dumb, greedy CCP just thinks I'm there on business.

I will be an honoured vistor to China very soon when the Chinese Communist Party dictatorship collapses, as I am well-known in the opposition.

You will be finished then, "TraitorRay".
RayH

Guangzhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
I visit all the time and the dumb, greedy CCP just thinks I'm there on business.
I will be an honoured vistor to China very soon when the Chinese Communist Party dictatorship collapses, as I am well-known in the opposition.
You will be finished then, "TraitorRay".
Good, you should visit Beijing now. You'll be thrown out with the rest of the trash.
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Good. All you CCP scum can think of is more racist BS. Only a few more months until the CCP regime itself ends up on the "garbage heap of history" like all the rest.

I was in China just two months ago; your clueless CCP masters were oblivious to my real purpose which was completely successful.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
Good. All you CCP scum can think of is more racist BS. Only a few more months until the CCP regime itself ends up on the "garbage heap of history" like all the rest.
I was in China just two months ago; your clueless CCP masters were oblivious to my real purpose which was completely successful.
What's your purpose? Raping girls or stinking ladies with your smelly feet?
Jay Leno

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

RayH wrote:
Mirolyuba: If you come to China, you'll be thrown out with the trash too. Just don't put your feet in some lady's hair.
That's right. Foreigners are not allowed to be rude in China. Only Chinese are allowed to be rude in China. In fact, they can go anywhere in the world and be rude.
Jay Leno

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your purpose? You act like Chinese are angels when they go overseas...

Chinese to be sentenced for rape in Ireland:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/court...
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting rid of the CCP dictatorship, you loser.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you work on tossing your Harper. That should be your Canadian concern.
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

We have elections in the West.

The Canadian people will vote him out of office when his term is up, or re-hire him, as they see fit.

Say, how is that barbari, bloodyc and secretive factional struggle in the CCP dictatorship going?

All secret, you say, and the people of China will be forced to take what they get when the CCP gang is through purging each other?

Sounds like a fahkin' awful and primitive system!

Why don't you work on tossing the CCP dictatorship so China can advance and be a normal country?

Since: Mar 08

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
The Canadian people will vote him out of office when his term is up, or re-hire him, as they see fit.
Say, how is that barbari, bloodyc and secretive factional struggle in the CCP dictatorship going?
All secret, you say, and the people of China will be forced to take what they get when the CCP gang is through purging each other?
Why don't you work on tossing the CCP dictatorship so China can advance and be a normal country?
It's the first time I agree with you. At least over the first 2 paragraphs.

Harper, competent or not, was elected by Canadians. If he does a good job, we will vote for him again; if he doesn't, we will not.
Zenom

Sarnia, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Juran wrote:
<quoted text>
Harper, competent or not, was elected by Canadians. If he does a good job, we will vote for him again; if he doesn't, we will not.
Don't you WISH if Chinese People can do very SAME RIGHT in China ?

Just wonder !

==========
FREEDOM OF THOUGHT is The DNA of PROGRESS
==========
Zenom
CCPwillcollapse

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

But......You can't bear to admit that the CCP carrys on its business in that fashion, although you know it to be true.

Interesting.

What threat from the CCP makes you cring on your knees to them like that when you know better?

Since: Mar 08

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Zenom wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you WISH if Chinese People can do very SAME RIGHT in China ?
Just wonder !
==========
FREEDOM OF THOUGHT is The DNA of PROGRESS
==========
Zenom
Actually, I want Chinese to do better than this.

Lisa Raitt once again stepped in to stop the CP strike. Her excuse was once again that it would hurt our economy, which is more like China's philosophy.

You also live in Ontario, how do you like Mike Harris’s privatizing Ontario Hydro and selling 407 and Dalton McQuinty’s healthcare premium and HST? They were both elected by Ontarians. However, we were powerless to stop them from doing what we did not want.

Democracy or non-democracy is not the key point. It’s like a company. It could be public or private, who makes the final decision, but it has nothing to do whether the company is making money or its employees are happy. You cannot have all employees make decisions, but you can have them make their contributions. The final decision has to be made by stakeholders or a board.

It’s been years that we’re trying to promote democracy, human rights and a whole package of policies to China. If we want to sell China what we believe, we really have to prove it works, and it can do better. So far, as far as I can see, we have not proved it. In addition, what do you think about Chinese companies selling leaded toys to North America? If you don’t want to buy imperfect products, Chinese people probably don’t want them either.

China, after stumbling for many years, has been gradually on a better track. By and large, China is doing well economy wise and people are, if not happy, at least happier.

Does China have problems? Tons. But I don’t think getting rid of CCP would be the quick solution. Chinese people, after experiencing so many movements, need something more peaceful.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time you're in Beijing, why don't you go to a police station and say that. They might send your ass back to India.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
"Normal country"? You mean like Greece, the birth place of Democracy? How did their last election work out? Hope they don't collapse Europe's economy with that vote.
Tanzanus

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

CCPwillcollapse wrote:
No, that is not a racist talk, he only speak the truth. You are a trash not worth recycling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the China Forum right now

Search the China Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
do chinese girls want black man husband? (Oct '08) 2 hr epep 2,567
China is becoming a TOXIC WASTELAND! 3 hr Mike 10
China criticises Japan's move to expand... 5 hr SHlTWOMNISSINDEBD... 208
China chides U.S. over Ferguson violence, Ameri... 6 hr Cow Dung 1
China + Pakistan vs. India + Russia, who WINS? (May '13) 10 hr dothead turd 847
US Up In Smoke As Riots Continue!! 13 hr BURN BABY BURN 1
Clive Palmer blasts you Chinese 22 hr Indians go poop 1
•••
•••