First Prev
of 7
Next Last
MENSA

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 15, 2012
&fe ature=related

Are Asians Smarter?

Ask any kid in grade school, and s/he will probably tell you that the smartest person in their class is an Asian. Why is this? Are Asians just naturally smart? Is that another piece of evidence proving that America deserves its place as the 17th smartest country in the world?

Why?

There are a few theories why Asian Americans seem smarter than their European counterparts. However, there is no real proof that all Asians are smart, just a select few. Yes, there are Asians who just don't try in school, just like every other race. And there are Asians who do try, just like every other race. I am not trying to be racist here; if you think I am, then skip to the last couple paragraphs.

One theory is that Asians, during the Ice Age, were under the harshest of conditions. They had to use their brains more to survive. Now, we all know that the more you exercise your brain, the smarter you are. The people had to fight to survive, something that may have survived throughout the ages. However, Europeans were exposed to the same ferocity of the Ice Age as Asians, and studies have shown that Asian Americans are smarter than Caucasians.

Another theory that is out there is that the teachings of Confucius, Mencius, and other great Asian philosophers taught that education was very important. Asians strived more to learn, and their love for learning was passed down generation after generation. This caused many Asian discoveries, such as paper, rocketry, gunpowder, etc. However, Europeans also had many significant discoveries, many that were even more sophisticated than the Asians'. Some expanded on the Asian inventions, such as Johannes Gutenberg's printing press or the invention of firearms. So that theory is not totally correct.

However, the theory I think is true is the immigrant theory. Many Asian immigrants came to the United States for a better life, to get a better job, and make more money. Many of these people didn't have a lot of money when they came, so they had to save, save, save money whenever they could. These Asians emphasize education to their kids, making it seem to them as education is the top priority to get a good job. The parents always are heavily expectant on their children, putting pressure on their children to succeed not only in school, but in life. There is lots of discipline. The kids have to try harder, put more effort in their work, etc. So, the real reason that Asians seem smarter isn't because they actually are, but because they are under pressure to get good grades. For their parents, getting straight A's are expected.
TIGERS

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Apr 15, 2012
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#3 Apr 15, 2012
For Chinese, it has more to do with the Imperial Examination System (Ke Ju) of ancient China, which was the traditional route to success and upward mobility.
CONFIRMATION

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Apr 16, 2012
TIGERS wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =n-oiJuwo4ewXX&feature=rel ated
The Stanford professor even said that of all the Asians, Chinese stand out disproportionately among the best and brightest.
It's probably due to 'inherently superior genetic coding' was what she theorized.
Old Jew

San Francisco, CA

#5 Apr 19, 2012
Of all the groups of ppl in the world the Jews are the smartest. We are "God's Children". Highest Iq also, so there you have it.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#6 Apr 19, 2012
I think it's all bullsh!t. The smartest Chinese aren't any smarter than the smartest Indians, Jews, Germans, etc, but as a whole the Jews and east asians take education more seriously than everybody else. It wasn't always that way. America used to lead the world in the higher sciences and education in general and that was when it was all white European. Don't kid yourself. In truth, only a small handful of people on this earth are the "movers and shakers" and presently most of them are European and Jewish, with a few east asians in there.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#7 Apr 19, 2012
Old Jew wrote:
Of all the groups of ppl in the world the Jews are the smartest. We are "God's Children". Highest Iq also, so there you have it.
Old Jew, stop this we are "G?ds children" crap! The new generation Jews know that's a crock and we don't believe it because it's not true. We have a right to take pride in being Jewish but you old generation Jews are living in the stone age. ATHEIST Jews control this world because we know this "g?d" thing is a farce. Again, get outta the stone age.
kaibavsyugi

Saltville, VA

#8 Jun 28, 2012
no they aren't..

so stop telling them they are so they can realize they are stupid..

and actually become smart..
kaibavsyugi

Saltville, VA

#9 Jun 28, 2012
most people believe in God so it must be real..
kaibavsyugi

Saltville, VA

#10 Jun 28, 2012
believing in God does not make you relinquish any control...
kaibavsyugi

Saltville, VA

#11 Jun 28, 2012
also nobody actually controls all of anything... they are getting permission to control it..
everything

Saltville, VA

#12 Aug 20, 2012
Asians have everything man they have the biggest books.. the most comfortable religion and society..

the most rigorous training..

the coolest eyes..

Asisans have a religion that tells them nothing bad happens after death..everyone else it's your going to hell.. religion.. and makes everyone act stupid..

they have religion based on actual success where as our religion is based on giving up everything in order to make God happy...
everything

Saltville, VA

#13 Aug 20, 2012
and they have better black people.. indians..
CHINA ON TOP

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Aug 20, 2012
OK it's true. Everyone knows Chinese are the smartest. I mean what other country is doing such amazing things? Like ruling the planet, for openers.
clamor

Howell, MI

#15 Feb 26, 2013
one thing i learned though is even if you are the best.. a bunch of weaklings will team up on you and take you down..

so you wanna maintain good moral..
Tram Phan

Dallas, TX

#17 Jun 18, 2013
People are saying that Chinese people aren't smarter than most Indians,Jewss ect. But Chinese people aren't the ONLY kinds of Asian. Which brings me to my next point, please keep in mind I'm not trying to be racist or anything I'm just telling you my opinion. But anyhow Indians are ALSO apart of Asia wich means they are asins too. And I'm a Christian I do believe in god but just cause you believe in god doesn't mean your "smart". I am an Asian I do make straight A's and is considered "smart" in my school but cause I study not anything else
OCCUPY TIANNANMEN

Port Moody, Canada

#18 Jun 18, 2013
This is a very strange thread. It makes no sense.

Only SOUTH KOREA and JAPAN are in the TOP TEN of smartest countries!

I guess your feeble lies only prove that Asians just aren't that smart, unless they happen to be lucky enough to live in a prosperous Asian democracy!

http://travel.ca.msn.com/top-10-smartest-coun...

"Did you see this coming? It seems, Canada, that we can boast the most educated population in the world. Now, in true diplomatic Canadian fashion, we know you won't go blustering or showboating around about it. But rest contented in knowing that of all the OECD countries, half of the country's adult population has a post-secondary degree, certificate or diploma. A breakdown from Statistics Canada, meanwhile, provides a more up-to-date, clearer picture: in 2010, 52 per cent of Canadians aged 15 and over had a post-secondary education. And more women — 71 per cent — than men — 65 per cent — aged 25 to 44 had completed their university or college education. And like we said, while we know book smart doesn't necessarily equate to street or life smart, the pursuit of higher education and knowledge in general can never be a bad thing. "

HOORAY FOR CANADA!

We're NUMBER ONE!

We're NUMBER ONE!

We're NUMBER ONE!

We're NUMBER ONE!
OCCUPY TIANNANMEN

Port Moody, Canada

#19 Jun 18, 2013
Lisa

Dearborn Heights, MI

#20 Jun 24, 2013
Old Jew wrote:
If Jews are so smart why haven't they figured out a way to make people like them?
howlea

Saltville, VA

#21 Jul 4, 2013
ya and i'm the smartest black person cuz i'm part Asian ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How China's Debt Fix Could Make Things Much Worse 21 hr mar 2
News China sentences Hong Kong journalists to up to ... Thu THOUGHT CRIME 1
News 25 years on, no fading of Tiananmen wounds, ideals (May '14) Thu JUNE FOURTH MASSACRE 115
News Vladivostok lures Chinese - many of whom think ... Thu CHINAs LANDS 3
Rēng chūqù wò'ērmǎ Thu who needs this 1
why are chinese ugly? (Aug '13) Jul 27 ChineseareEvil 11
News China's growth sucks in more debt bucks for les... Jul 25 CHINA CRASH 1
More from around the web