Americans Protest Japan's Senkakus Cl...

Americans Protest Japan's Senkakus Claim!!

Posted in the China Forum

CHINA RISING

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 20, 2013
Chinese Americans Protest Japan's Diaoyu Claim Ahead of Abe Visit

Over 200 Chinese Americans gathered in front of New York City’s Japanese Consulate on Park Avenue Tuesday to protest what they see as a resurgence of Japanese nationalism.

The rally by about 60 local community groups, scheduled for 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., sought to call American attention to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s rightwing politics, including his aggressive stance on the small group of uninhabited islets known as the Senkakus (Diaoyudao) which are administered by Japan and claimed by China and Taiwan.

The crowd held signs reading,“Abe is a history denier, a dishonest man”,“Diaoyu Islands belong to China,” and “No American blood for resurgence of Japanese militarism.”

Waving American flags, the crowd also protested US backing of ally Japan in the islets dispute.

“We are here because Japan tried to occupy our island,” said an elderly protester named R. S. Wang.“It’s our island, but Japan is trying to use the Americans’ help to get it. I want the American government to stay neutral and let the two countries resolve the problem.”

The rally organizers will deliver a letter outlining their protest to the Japanese consul general in New York for transmission to Prime Minister Abe who will be arriving soon for a summit with President Barack Obama.

“Because of this resolution, I have received e-mails from some people in Japan that tend to mischaracterize and even miniaturize the forced and wanton brutality visited upon those many millions of people… and that, my friends, is a terrible mistake,” said Lavine.

New York State Assemblyman Charles Lavine was one of the speakers at the rally. He had also recently introduced a resolution supporting a New York memorial to Korean women forced into sexual slavery by Japan’s military during World War II.

“I want to sincerely thank each of you for being here today to protect the integrity and honesty of history because it is critically important for us today to recognize the past’s tragic mistakes to make sure they do not again occur,” said Lavine.

“We are against trying to reverse Japan’s peaceful constitution,” said George Hua, 72, one of the organizers. He noted that the rally was not directed against the people of Japan.“We are not against the Japanese people. We know the Japanese, like the Chinese, are a peace-loving people.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Northeast Indians ethnically same as Chinese? (Feb '10) Sun we R not filthy I... 77
News College student detained in China for allegedly... May 20 Test 2
Are Chinese Barbaric? (Nov '07) May 17 suzlesterbeach 692
News Palestinian protester shot by Israeli troops dies (Aug '15) May 17 idf 11
News Analysis: Natural Gas, NOT Green Energy, Caused... May 16 JPADEA 2
News China Expands Naval Power to Waters U.S. Dominates (Apr '10) May 16 America First 3,281
News Fear of a Chinese Planet? (Dec '06) May 16 Go Blue Forever 5,953
More from around the web