Chinese cities hit hard by smog

Dec 8, 2013 Full story: People's Daily Online 10

China's most developed regions were attacked by smog over the weekend. A total of 104 cities in 20 provinces in and near China's two largest industrial clusters - the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region and the Yangtze River Delta region - fell victim to heavy smog that reduced visibility to less than 10 meters in some places, according to the ... (more)

Full Story
CCP is USELESS and DYING

Surrey, Canada

#1 Dec 9, 2013
All of China is drowning in filth!

And that's just POLITICS!

The AIR and WATER are EVEN WORSE!
It is so Amazing

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#2 Dec 10, 2013
It is very interesting and strange. Since I am not an environmental engineer or scientist, I leave this to the experts.

One day the overhead sky is very clear and suddenly the next moment it is smoggy!

Where did all these pollution really came from?

I experience such phenomenon in New Delhi, when the city was hit by a sandstorm. It was complete darkness due to the sandy pollutant from the desert!
It is so Amazing

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#3 Dec 10, 2013
China's supercomputer technology used to monitor smog

December 9, 2013

A computer model capable of more accurately forecasting and analyzing the cause of smoggy days is expected to be put into operation in the following three to five years.

The simulation model will be developed using the technology of Tianhe-1A, which ranked as the world's fastest supercomputer from November 2010 to June 2011, and the model's data will be revised in light of actual observation data from other monitors, said Meng Xiangfei, a researcher with the National Supercomputer Center (NSC) in Tianjin.

The model is also expected to forecast weather conditions further in advance compared with current air quality monitors in operation, according to Meng.

Chinese environmental authorities have set up 668 monitoring spots in 114 cities and have released the data daily online and through traditional media.

"The formation of smog is related in different regions, and atmospheric, physical, chemical and biological factors are involved in the process," Meng added.

Remarkable achievement has been made in the fields of aerospace, weather forecasts, climate prediction and ocean environment simulation since the Tianhe-1A was put into operation three years ago.

The project, which is a collaboration between the Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences, the National Meteorological Center, Tsinghua University and the NSC in Tianjin, will also provide a reference for decisions about regional planning.

According to the Actions to Address Climate Change 2013 annual report released last month by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the frequency of smog has increased over the past 50 years in China.
gengis khan

Rotorua, New Zealand

#4 Dec 10, 2013
Record-breaking smog has crippled Shanghai in recent days, disrupting more than 100 flights and leading to a 26 percent surge in admissions at the city’s largest children’s hospital. Low visibility due to the drastic spike in air pollution was even attributed to a fatal seven-car pileup.
Still, China’s state-run media attempted to find a silver lining beneath the choking gray haze.
“Smog may affect people’s health and daily lives … but on the battlefield, it can serve as a defensive advantage in military operations,” wrote Global Times, a notoriously nationalistic news outlet that acts as a mouthpiece for the Communist Party. It claimed that airborne particles would disrupt missile guidance systems, intelligence-gathering satellites, and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
The article cited the Kosovo War, when soldiers from the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia burned car tires in an attempt to thwart NATO airstrikes, as well as Gulf War sandstorms that disrupted thermal imaging equipment on US tanks. It has since been deleted from the Global Times website.
State broadcaster CCTV also looked for a positive spin on the potentially life-threatening smog, posting a blog titled “Five Surprising Benefits From China’s Haze.”
CCTV’s post has also been deleted, but Foreign Policy provided the list:
1. It unifies Chinese people.
2. It makes China more equal.
3. It raises citizen awareness.
4. Chinese people are funnier when they are contending with deadly smog.
5. The haze makes Chinese people more knowledgeable.
Thousands of Chinese internet users took to Weibo to express their outrage over the slanted reports, while alternative state-sponsored media outlets heaped on their own criticisms.
“The smog crisis covering large parts of China has revealed the failure of the government’s development strategy of only going after GDP (growth),” Wu Bihu, a professor at Peking University, told Reuters.“CCTV is shameless in trying to cover up for their masters.”
Chinese equities also slumped, triggered by Yanzhou Coal Mining Co.’s slide. The country’s fourth-largest coal producer hit a three-week low over fears that the Chinese government would intervene over the apparent overuse of the fossil fuel. Bloomberg reported that China Eastern Airlines also plummeted to a two-week low.
On December 6, Shanghai’s air index reached 482 –“severe” on the government’s 6-level warning index. Yesterday’s PM 2.5 air pollution was higher than 360 micrograms per cubic meter, 14 times higher than the World Health Organization’s maximum recommended daily exposure.
“Everyone is calling it the ‘airpocalypse.’ We even ordered special masks from Taobao in order to get around outside,” said Charmika Monet, a Diplomat contributor based in Shanghai.“The regular masks you can buy at a pharmacy don’t protect well against PM 2.5 pollution, but they don’t tell you that, so you have to do your own research.”
She added,“I tried taking my mask off just to taste the air without it – it was like jogging behind a moving bus.”
gengis khan

Rotorua, New Zealand

#5 Dec 10, 2013
unbelievable comments from the commie govt's mouthpiece.
so similar to Nth Korea
CCP is OBSOLETE

Surrey, Canada

#6 Dec 10, 2013
Yes, the DPRK and CCP China are both so laughably BACKWARDS!
gengis khan

Rotorua, New Zealand

#7 Dec 11, 2013
Plz explain to me, how a Commie paid tool from KL, can tell so many lies about china.
It is amazing how he can post so many lies about a country that his native Malaysia hates.
Taiwanese

Lane Cove, Australia

#8 Dec 11, 2013
ni ma de ri ben gui zi gengis khan, little japanese devil, the sick man of Asia.
gengis khan

Rotorua, New Zealand

#11 Dec 11, 2013
My god.. these Commies are so pathetic.
they know that their news goes to free countries where people can read how stupid they really are.
and they still do it
"Taiwanese" and "amazing" must be so ashamed to be part of the commie Chinese Nazi dream
As a true Taiwanese, I am happy to see the commie dream self-destruct,
Taiwanese

Lane Cove, Australia

#12 Dec 12, 2013
gengis khan wrote:
My god.. these Commies are so pathetic.
they know that their news goes to free countries where people can read how stupid they really are.
and they still do it

As a true Taiwanese, I am happy to see the commie dream self-destruct,
Ni ma de ri ben gui zi gengis khan. little japanese devil telling lies as usual, the sick man of Asia and this forum.

Little japanese devil like you should be put into NZ jail for spying for japanese murderers in Tokyo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is the USA behind the "OCCUPY CENTRAL" Protest ... 1 hr MrAlexVH 18
Asia wants to 'lead world' (Oct '09) 1 hr RonnieRichard 1,440
China, Vietnam patch ties after territory disputes 1 hr mental dragon 42
USA ordered anti-government protesters to recap... 3 hr Ghengis Khan 11
why are chinese ugly? (Aug '13) 5 hr Look 4
why are chinese so selfish and mean? (Oct '11) 7 hr -TheExam- 46
Shaolin 9 hr epep 6
China's navy no longer so inferior to Japan's, ... 14 hr Drgunzet 140

China People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE