Why does China claim 80% of the South China Sea?

Posted in the China Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#1 May 23, 2009
In the note that China sent to the U.N. protesting the submission by Vietnam and Malaysia, China included a map that included the U-shaped line in the South China Sea. China claimed that this area of water belonged to the jurisdiction of China along with the islands within this line.

Can someone (preferably a Chinese) explain what is the legal basis for this claim? China gets 80% of the South China Sea. The rest of Southeast Asia gets 20%.

“Is better than Dogma”

Since: Mar 09

Peking Duck University

#2 May 23, 2009
For 1.5 billions Chinese, for foods, for China expansion of her territories, for China's Ideology law and for more cow dungs

MAP: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/351609187... <==<<

I guarantee that will be a big Asian War in this 21st century soon.
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#3 May 23, 2009
Hmmm... I made this post 16 hours ago, and there is still no reply from a Chinese person as to why China should have 80% of the water territory in the South China Sea. What is the legal basis for this claim by on U.N. law of the Sea which china signed and ratified?
Mao

San Francisco, CA

#4 May 24, 2009
based on historic evidences, Chinese vessels have long used those small islands. That's why it has named the China Sea.

Like the Indian Ocean, India has claimed islands far way, like the adaman island.
old china

Chengdu, China

#5 May 24, 2009
Not to forget, of course, that any territorial claim is only as good as the ability to enforce your claim by military means. Were it just down to who occupied a territory during a particular era or epoch then half the world would have to give up their territorial claims and be repatriated. And where would you draw the line - theoretically we would all end up back in Africa?
San Miguel

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#6 May 24, 2009
ASEAN wrote:
Hmmm... I made this post 16 hours ago, and there is still no reply from a Chinese person as to why China should have 80% of the water territory in the South China Sea. What is the legal basis for this claim by on U.N. law of the Sea which china signed and ratified?
Hi Asean, I thought the CIA posted you to Afghanistan! You are still here doing the same routine. Stirring up shit in the South China Sea.
You will have better success in Afghanistan, those Talibans there are sucker for TALL TALL TALES like yours!

Some Filipinos here are asking why HAWAII is a part of USA and not Philippines? They says it make no sense after all USA has the bloody colonial history of all time in Philippines! They are all entitle to the US citizenships!

By the way, we the Filipinos do want to fight over those silly no man lands in the seas. Since the USA wanted those islands, make Philippines, the 53 states of USA. Send your GIs and fight all the wars for us, meanwhile we will migrate to US mainland for safety and will returned after all the fighting is done! Deal or no deal!
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#7 May 24, 2009
Mao wrote:
based on historic evidences, Chinese vessels have long used those small islands. That's why it has named the China Sea.
Like the Indian Ocean, India has claimed islands far way, like the adaman island.
Mao, please understand the issue. Claiming the islands is NOT the same as claiming the sea. You can have the islands without taking the whole sea. Why does China claim 80% of the SOuth China sea? We are not talking about the islands in this topic. We are talking the sea. Please stay on discussion
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#8 May 24, 2009
San Miguel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Asean, I thought the CIA posted you to Afghanistan! You are still here doing the same routine. Stirring up shit in the South China Sea.
You will have better success in Afghanistan, those Talibans there are sucker for TALL TALL TALES like yours!
!
I feel so sorry for you. You intelligence only allows you to rebut this far. You can't make any arguments, so you just say non-sense stuff.

I am not in Afghanistan. I'm here talking about the South China Sea. Are you informed or educated in this matter? If not, then stay out of the discussion. Use your CIA crap somewhere else little boy.
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#9 May 24, 2009
It's been one day since I've posted and so far, no presentation of argument on why China should have jurisdiction over 80% of the South China Sea (not the Paracel and Spratly islands). Note: we're not talking about the islands here.
San Miguel

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#10 May 24, 2009
Foreigner like you will pack your f*cking bags and leave the countries the minute, war begins in the region.
As for you your mission is accomplished.
For the f*cking DEVIL like you, go and rot in HELL. F*ck you, you piteous sicko! Tonite the archangel himself will personally delivered you to burning HELL!

ASEAN problems belong to ASEAN. And please stop posting using ASEAN. You are try to deceive the rest of us! Most Filipino like us prefer to live in peace.
You want to pick a fight with China, send in your mighty fleet and fight with them.
Your US Navy can't even deal with the Somali pirates and you expect us to stand by you.
F*ck you!
We in ASEAN are not with you. Sorry to tell you, we have more faith and trust in China more than US or you. We will solve problem ourselves without any fighting and without troublemakers like you.
Haven't you stir up enough problems around the world and got a bloody nose in the process?

We don't want hear your argument, it is all flaw as far as many of us are concerned!
What happened to all the money pledged for the Tsunami by USA? Never arrived! Yes! that's the word! Make a big event about your contribution and eventually, never send it! That is USA!

No wonder nobody bothers with you! You poor pitiful soul!
San Miguel

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#11 May 24, 2009
ASEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel so sorry for you. You intelligence only allows you to rebut this far. You can't make any arguments, so you just say non-sense stuff.
I am not in Afghanistan. I'm here talking about the South China Sea. Are you informed or educated in this matter? If not, then stay out of the discussion. Use your CIA crap somewhere else little boy.
I told you, the South China Sea affair has nothing to do with a foreigner like you! So f*ck off.
You certainly have lot of intelligence and you fart it all out in one shot!
Sound more like a windbag to all of us here in ASEA.
We are simply not interest to discuss an ASEAN affair with a CIA agent like you.
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#12 May 24, 2009
No San Miguel. China is STEALING the sea from MY COUNTRY and MY COUNTRY'S NEIGHBORS. I am here to accuse China of being a thief. So if you can't argue like a mature and intelligent person. THen please stay away from this topic.

Again, any CHinese with an intelligent answer other than s silly Chinese with stupid accusation??????
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#13 May 24, 2009
San Miguel wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you, the South China Sea affair has nothing to do with a foreigner like you! So f*ck off.
You certainly have lot of intelligence and you fart it all out in one shot!
Sound more like a windbag to all of us here in ASEA.
We are simply not interest to discuss an ASEAN affair with a CIA agent like you.
Oh my God, is this representative of Chinese people and Chinese thinking? Accusing people of being CIA agent when they are criticized and have no suitable response? So sad, so sad. I really feel sorry for San Miguel.
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#14 May 24, 2009
My Dear Comrade San Miguel,

So, let's just say we satisfy your little imagination and agree that I'm a CIA agent.(hehehe). Can you explain to this uninformed CIA agent what is the legal reason, citing international maritime law, that supports China claiming 80% of the South China Sea waters (not talking about islands) as its own private lake for it to control as it wishes? I need the legal reasons because the Chinese FM says China has "jurisdiction" over this water.

After all, if you have good reasons, no matter who I am, a CIA agent or a prostitute, you can still give me an answer, right? hehhehe

If you give me a good answer, if I'm a CIA agent, I will give favorable information about China to my employer. Or if I'm a prostitute, I will give you a.....(just use your little imagination). heheeh
old china

Chengdu, China

#15 May 24, 2009
ASEAN wrote:
It's been one day since I've posted and so far, no presentation of argument on why China should have jurisdiction over 80% of the South China Sea (not the Paracel and Spratly islands). Note: we're not talking about the islands here.
At a guess, because they choose choose to claim jurisdiction and because they are strong enough to defeat the other contenders.

That is all the arguement China needs.

That is the way of the world, not just China.

Next?
barau

Albuquerque, NM

#16 May 24, 2009
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
At a guess, because they choose choose to claim jurisdiction and because they are strong enough to defeat the other contenders.
That is all the arguement China needs.
That is the way of the world, not just China.
Next?
chineses claim 80% sea because of china have weapon power, this will make china anti against the rest of Asian countries.
While china is fragile by itself :

&fe ature=PlayList&p=DD1D70856 B53A6B4&index=0&playne xt=1
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#17 May 24, 2009
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
At a guess, because they choose choose to claim jurisdiction and because they are strong enough to defeat the other contenders.
That is all the arguement China needs.
That is the way of the world, not just China.
Next?
If that is the reason, then why do Chinese people and government pretend to be "righteous"? This is our sea, our blood, pride, etc... Why don't you just say that we are thieves and we're proud of it so I don't have to spend my time telling you that you're thieves. Why do you pretend to be all nationalistic about "defending our sea"? Well, at least for your part, you're being honest about the fact that China is stealing, even if Beijing government itself isn't.
ASEAN

Bangkok, Thailand

#18 May 24, 2009
Since you are admitting that China does not have the legal to right claim 80% of the South China Sea, and that China is doing it only because of hegemonistic ambitions, then I hope you will share that with your Chinese comrades the nature of the issue. Tell them to stop speaking in terms of "defending our sea" because it's a bunch of lies. For my part, I still have to speak to this issue, because only a few people are willing to admit China has no legal rights here. They still think that China is "defending our sea". And China is also spreading that lie around the world. So it's my job to counter against that lie here on this forum and everywhere I can.
snowflake

San Francisco, CA

#19 May 24, 2009
I am an american, from what I see China has done more to this Islands and for these Island than anyone. They are the best to protect and maintain and care for these Islands.
old china

Chengdu, China

#20 May 24, 2009
ASEAN wrote:
Since you are admitting that China does not have the legal to right claim 80% of the South China Sea, and that China is doing it only because of hegemonistic ambitions, then I hope you will share that with your Chinese comrades the nature of the issue. Tell them to stop speaking in terms of "defending our sea" because it's a bunch of lies. For my part, I still have to speak to this issue, because only a few people are willing to admit China has no legal rights here. They still think that China is "defending our sea". And China is also spreading that lie around the world. So it's my job to counter against that lie here on this forum and everywhere I can.
I make no claims to anything - jusy playing the devil's advocate...

If China does not have a legal right then other contenders need to establish that fact in a court of law which has the muscle to enforce the verdict. China does not need a verdict because she has her own muscle.

Meanwhile the dogs yap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Chinese Mind 3 hr Fatboy 28
Chinese girls likes Indian men and try to get s... (Oct '10) 4 hr McGold 308
Indians are well-known RACIST anywhere!!! 5 hr McGold 3
Asia wants to 'lead world' (Oct '09) 5 hr jky 1,372
70% of Vietnamese are RACIST 6 hr It is so Amazing 1
Remembering Tibet as an independent nation in Asia 6 hr RayH 150
U.S. welcomes China's first-time attendance at ... 6 hr RayH 1
•••

China People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••