Costa Rica: Shaken Bloggers Share Earthquake Stories

Sep 7, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Global Voices Online

Now that the shaking after Costa Rica's 7.6-magnitude earthquake on September 5, 2012 has stopped, Costa Rican netizens are using their blogs to share their experiences during the quake.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Nguyen Linda

Whitby, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

I'm lucky to have just made it home, no thanks to sunwing/signature vacations! The hotel had no evacuation plan, and once the big one hit, my family and I looked for a sunwing rep for two hours. They evacuated and we felt helpless. We wanted their help to find out the next flight out because there were warnings of aftershock and worse, tsunami. We decided to find our own way to airport and try to book next flight out.. But there was no one there. We called family back home to reach a sunwing rep. And they said there was nothing they can do. Our family back in Canada told them they need to get a rep to speak with us at the airport... Once they came, they had the audacity to charge us $10 a head to go back to the hotel for a meeting at 4 pm, or else we would have to stay there at the airport.. Where there were no flights available. Robbed during a natural disaster. Where were they when we needed them? The meeting was not a meeting. No emergency plan was in place. I have the meeting recorded and I will place it on YouTube very soon. They were saying "sleep in the lobby on the pool lounge chairs we have laid out for u, or sign a waver saying, it's at ur own risk if u go back to ur damaged rooms. No flights til Monday. Wait here for 48 hours before we send u to a 3 hour away hotel that is closer to the coast where the earth quake started, and btw that hotel is older and is in a little better situation than our hotel." our hotel was in bad shape. I had a crack in my wall just above my room, longer than my king size bed. Y elevator door was half way leveled. Pipes were leaking causing floods. My parents room was the worse cuz it was on the first floor. Some of the ceiling and pieces of drywall fell on their bed. If they were sleeping at that time, they would not be be here today. The embassy of costa rica thinks we were okay. But we were not safe. We were put in danger by being told to sleep in the convention center under very dangerous circumstances. The Riu hotel where we stayed, gave false info to the embassy, or all of them just had no emergency plan at all.
Anna

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

We were there during the earthquake too. No evacuation plan in place. Workers did not comunicate with us at all. THe information we were given was from tourists that spoke Spanish and understood what workers talked among themselves. While we were walking to a higher ground, locals offered ride for money in a natural disaster. Shame. Sunwing was not helpful at all. THere was no way, I would sleep in a lobby under the roof with pillars cracked. We took a trip that Wednesday to Double Tree resort 3 hours away. It was not close to the epicentre. In fact, it was further away. Sunwing told us we would have a meeting next morning. We expected to hear information about getting home on the first available plane. However, all we got was tour advertisement. We bought tickets for our own money and finally are home. Shame on RIU administration for lying about damages incurred.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••