CMHR rejects 'genocide' for native policies

Jul 26, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Brandon Sun

Senior staff at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights decided to avoid the word 'genocide' in relation to Canada's treatment of aboriginals.

Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Aug 16, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave

Winnipeg, Canada

#1 Jul 26, 2013
I wonder how different things would have been for Jewish people if the world had not waited through years for misery, stories of horror, trials etc for Jewish people had the concept of genocide been more quickly acknowledged by the world at large.

There can be more than one way to define a situation.

Certainly attaching the world by stating that many in Canada and other places seriously question if the native population was subjected to genocide.Thus, maintaining the Board's sensibilities while leaving the door open out of respect for native peoples.
Weezle

Port Alberni, Canada

#2 Jul 26, 2013
The natives will never admit that they are destroying themselves.As usual with pathetic people,it is far easier to blame someone else.The government has a hug a chug attitude where in the eyes of politicians the natives can do no wrong.In this town the natives are exempt from most of the laws that the rest of us have to live by.It keeps the tourists amused being entertained by fighting puking and passed out natives.Open air domestic battles are always fun.Natives screwing by the road and crapping and pissing in public are common occurances.Ottawa says leave them alone.The most common cause of death among the natives is misadventure caused by alcohol consumption.Their kids run wild and cause most of the crime.On a good day the parents of these little bastards have no clue where these these kids are.The natives commit 99% of the murders in this town,luckily they mostly kill each other.Politicians have no clue what average citizens have to put up with when you live in a town with a high native population.I would love to live in a place where I would never see another native.
Sandra

Lavoy, Canada

#3 Jul 26, 2013
A genocide is defined by the International Criminal Court as the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, caste, religious, or national group. So the Canadian Human Rights Museum is wrong in refusing to call former Canadian policies about our First Nations a genocide. When the government kidnapped more than 100,000 children over the course of a century and less than 55,000 return home alive... then it's not really open to "debate"... that's what happened.
Ex-Zoomer

Winnipeg, Canada

#4 Jul 26, 2013
Gail Asper and her Zionist cabal of parasites can jump off a cliff........into a lake filled with boiling dung.
Hun

Port Alberni, Canada

#5 Jul 29, 2013
The natives inflict genocide on themselves.It is their own behaviour that causes their deaths and the deaths of their children.The government tries to motivate natives to better themselves by offering an endless list of free education to qualify for jobs.The local college offers 17 free courses, to natives only, that they may become employed and useful to themselves and the community.The enrollment? So far none.I guess free is to much money.Or maybe......they do not want jobs?Maybe they are content living lives drunk and stoned and ignoring and abusing their children.It is far less taxing on their brains to just go to the welfare office.You cannot help someone that doesn't want to be helped.
Dave

Winnipeg, Canada

#6 Jul 29, 2013
Hun wrote:
The natives inflict genocide on themselves.It is their own behaviour that causes their deaths and the deaths of their children.The government tries to motivate natives to better themselves by offering an endless list of free education to qualify for jobs.The local college offers 17 free courses, to natives only, that they may become employed and useful to themselves and the community.The enrollment? So far none.I guess free is to much money.Or maybe......they do not want jobs?Maybe they are content living lives drunk and stoned and ignoring and abusing their children.It is far less taxing on their brains to just go to the welfare office.You cannot help someone that doesn't want to be helped.
You are quite out of touch with reality. Your understanding is so superficial that it it has no relevance. The steps forward that natives have achieved in the past thirty years or so is almost unique. There are people that we cannot help. There are portions of journeys that people must do for themselves but the vast majority of native people "got it, get it" and have moved along bringing their children through quite nicely. Opportunities were presented and those people took, and are continuing to take, advantage of genuine opportunities. The problems that others face aren't much different than poor Caucasian alcoholics and addicts we often face. We don't do any better with them.
Your big picture is skewed.
Ex-Zoomer

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Jul 30, 2013
So Gail Asper bans me from the CMHRs facebook page for calling her and her cronies Zionists. Truth hurts I guess. Theres a reason you cant find the show the "Asper Series" anywhere anymore. They are ashamed to be hate mongering Zionists.
Hun

Comox, Canada

#9 Jul 30, 2013
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite out of touch with reality. Your understanding is so superficial that it it has no relevance. The steps forward that natives have achieved in the past thirty years or so is almost unique. There are people that we cannot help. There are portions of journeys that people must do for themselves but the vast majority of native people "got it, get it" and have moved along bringing their children through quite nicely. Opportunities were presented and those people took, and are continuing to take, advantage of genuine opportunities. The problems that others face aren't much different than poor Caucasian alcoholics and addicts we often face. We don't do any better with them.
Your big picture is skewed.
Have you ever even seen a native?This sounds like a fairy tale.
Dave

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Jul 30, 2013
Hun wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever even seen a native?This sounds like a fairy tale.
I am quite sure that there are many more natives living in the city of Winnipeg than in the village of Qualicum Beach.I do envy the beauty you wake up to each morning though and hope you appreciate it.
Greg S

Winnipeg, Canada

#11 Jul 30, 2013
One of the most effective ways to destroy people is to pay them to do nothing.

We must cut off provincial welfare and federal funding to Indians immediately. We're killing them!
Hun

Duncan, Canada

#12 Jul 31, 2013
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
I am quite sure that there are many more natives living in the city of Winnipeg than in the village of Qualicum Beach.I do envy the beauty you wake up to each morning though and hope you appreciate it.
You are right in saying what a beautiful place Qualicum is.However,I do not live there,I have the misfortune of living in a rather nice town made ugly by drunks,crackheads and welfare bums.The native population here is better than 50%.
Joe eh

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 Jul 31, 2013
Greg S wrote:
One of the most effective ways to destroy people is to pay them to do nothing.
We must cut off provincial welfare and federal funding to Indians immediately. We're killing them!
Idle No More, eh?
Idle hands are the tools of the devil, eh!
Get a job, go to school or get detoxed, eh.
No more Bada$$ Sundays, eh.
Dave

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Jul 31, 2013
Hun wrote:
<quoted text>You are right in saying what a beautiful place Qualicum is.However,I do not live there,I have the misfortune of living in a rather nice town made ugly by drunks,crackheads and welfare bums.The native population here is better than 50%.
I note Nanaimo is the current IP. Was there a few months ago for a couple of weeks. Lovely city. I noted that it had its "sketchy" areas, but, again the whole population is about 80,000 not 700,000 so it wasn't alarming in anyway.

If you went off to several different areas of Winnipeg and were happy with big box stores you would see only beautiful homes and scenic man made lakes and walkways. You could be here and avoid the downtown for months which is exactly what much of the population does.There is no need to witness the poverty if it offends you.

People are seldom attacked, really seldom, in the suburbs and people who are attacked downtown are frequently known to their attackers here, party with them, owe drug money to them etc. The odd person who ventures downtown gets robbed of a few bucks and is occasionally beaten up. As only a percentage of poor people resort to violence it is less than some people want to acknowledge. Those who are a problem are often chronic problems.
Hun

Duncan, Canada

#16 Aug 1, 2013
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
I note Nanaimo is the current IP. Was there a few months ago for a couple of weeks. Lovely city. I noted that it had its "sketchy" areas, but, again the whole population is about 80,000 not 700,000 so it wasn't alarming in anyway.
If you went off to several different areas of Winnipeg and were happy with big box stores you would see only beautiful homes and scenic man made lakes and walkways. You could be here and avoid the downtown for months which is exactly what much of the population does.There is no need to witness the poverty if it offends you.
People are seldom attacked, really seldom, in the suburbs and people who are attacked downtown are frequently known to their attackers here, party with them, owe drug money to them etc. The odd person who ventures downtown gets robbed of a few bucks and is occasionally beaten up. As only a percentage of poor people resort to violence it is less than some people want to acknowledge. Those who are a problem are often chronic problems.
I do not know why the IP comes up what it does.I think it is because this town is small enough that it is not recognized.This town has a population of about 4000.It is not poverty that offends the people of this place it is the behaviour of the town drunks,crackheads and village idiots.Most of which are natives.You cannot get away from them as we all share the amenities here .My 5 year old grand child has seen things that would make an adult wretch.As for poverty,these people have more spending money than a lot of working folks in this town.
Lone Wolf

Winnipeg, Canada

#17 Aug 1, 2013
While an admirable concept, the CMHR will cause division and resentment more than it will educate and bring people together. Focus will be placed on certain groups more than others. Human rights being such a vague and expansive subject, every imaginable group, particularly the lower socio-economic groups, have suffered (and continue to suffer) human rights abuses over the centuries. Was the grinding poverty of the 1930s amidst great wealth a human rights abuse? How about a judicial process that resulted (present tense in US) in hundreds of executions of innocent people? The list is endless.

Selecting a few examples of historical horrific incidences to the exclusion of many others encourages stratification of society, particularly along ethnic and racial lines.

If human rights are of such concern, then let's end child poverty, violence (both private and by the state) and homelessness. Let's give adequate resources to assist mentally ill persons and those with drug addictions. Building a "monument" to human rights while blatantly ignoring the ongoing human rights abuses occurring nearby is glaringly hypocritical.

It's time to cancel this project. After years of reflection, I think we have to conclude that despite good intentions, this museum is not a good fit, either for Winnipeg or for Canada. The building itself could be put to other uses.
Jonny Two Shirts

Winnipeg, Canada

#18 Aug 1, 2013
welfare rules eh. its for stealin our land
Dave

Winnipeg, Canada

#19 Aug 1, 2013
Lone Wolf wrote:
While an admirable concept, the CMHR will cause division and resentment more than it will educate and bring people together. Focus will be placed on certain groups more than others. Human rights being such a vague and expansive subject, every imaginable group, particularly the lower socio-economic groups, have suffered (and continue to suffer) human rights abuses over the centuries. Was the grinding poverty of the 1930s amidst great wealth a human rights abuse? How about a judicial process that resulted (present tense in US) in hundreds of executions of innocent people? The list is endless.
Selecting a few examples of historical horrific incidences to the exclusion of many others encourages stratification of society, particularly along ethnic and racial lines.

If human rights are of such concern, then let's end child poverty, violence (both private and by the state) and homelessness. Let's give adequate resources to assist mentally ill persons and those with drug addictions. Building a "monument" to human rights while blatantly ignoring the ongoing human rights abuses occurring nearby is glaringly hypocritical.
It's time to cancel this project. After years of reflection, I think we have to conclude that despite good intentions, this museum is not a good fit, either for Winnipeg or for Canada. The building itself could be put to other uses.
Interesting and well put.
Its Appealed

Winnipeg, Canada

#21 Aug 6, 2013
Harley Squirrelnuts wrote:
Dats a load of BULLSIHT eh!!
Just admit it whitey, compensate us with more money and we'll eventually let you forget about it eh. Like in 80-100 years eh.
Give us our MONEY tho.
HEY dont git yar nutz in a not eh. have anodder beer hardley an dont say so much abuot da money eh just go get yer chevk eh an get sum smokes an KFC
Jake

Winnipeg, Canada

#22 Aug 7, 2013
The ONLY genocide the CMHR is interested in promoting is the Jewish Holocaust (they don't even want to acknowledge the 5 million non-jews the Nazis killed).

The CMHR is a Temple Shrine for Jews and anyone who thinks otherwise is a sucker. They just named it the CMHR to get Federal funding. The Friends of CMHR are a bunch of lying, greedy parasites.
Lonnie

Winnipeg, Canada

#23 Aug 9, 2013
Lone Wolf wrote:
While an admirable concept, the CMHR will cause division and resentment more than it will educate and bring people together. Focus will be placed on certain groups more than others. Human rights being such a vague and expansive subject, every imaginable group, particularly the lower socio-economic groups, have suffered (and continue to suffer) human rights abuses over the centuries. Was the grinding poverty of the 1930s amidst great wealth a human rights abuse? How about a judicial process that resulted (present tense in US) in hundreds of executions of innocent people? The list is endless.
Selecting a few examples of historical horrific incidences to the exclusion of many others encourages stratification of society, particularly along ethnic and racial lines.
If human rights are of such concern, then let's end child poverty, violence (both private and by the state) and homelessness. Let's give adequate resources to assist mentally ill persons and those with drug addictions. Building a "monument" to human rights while blatantly ignoring the ongoing human rights abuses occurring nearby is glaringly hypocritical.
It's time to cancel this project. After years of reflection, I think we have to conclude that despite good intentions, this museum is not a good fit, either for Winnipeg or for Canada. The building itself could be put to other uses.
blah blah you sure can shovel the bull

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Canada's jets edge closer to Russian airspace 39 min lessons of history 36
THE HARPER MOON==>>HAS NO FIlOTlMO! 2 hr CANADEZOS 1
TransCanada's Energy East faces hurdle as U.S. ... 3 hr PAUL SHYKORA ARTS 3
Why are we waging a war on wheat? (Oct '12) 3 hr chugs are POS 144
The lost science of mercury poisoning at Grassy... 4 hr CH4WORM100YENDEBD... 2
New Democrats call on director of public prosec... 6 hr also need 4 review 1
Rob Anders takes second crack at Conservative n... 7 hr rural area knows ... 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Canada People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••