Canadian family members among those killed in Manila hostage taking

Aug 24, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Vancouver Sun

Jason Leung, left, survived the hostage-taking in Manila, but his sister Jessie, centre, and father Ken, right, were killed, along with sister Doris, not shown.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2012
sad

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2010

Watching Solemnly

Grande Prairie, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

The Fillipino society is weak in morality standards. Some people there can't even think logically and of course can't tell whether something is right or wrong, and moral or immoral. A killer is treated as a hero and good man. So they (some people but not necessarily the whole country) never feel ashamed of putting their national flag on Rolando Mendoza's coffin. Over 1,000 people showed up in Mendoza's funeral to say goodbye. They removed the flag after Beijing protested. But many Fillipinos are unhappy because they think China interferes into their internal affairs and sovereignty rights.

In this very tragic moment, people in most countries would act differently. Most people will voluntarily avoid glorifying the killing and avoid hurting the feeling of the victims once more. They will behave adequately for humanitarian reasons. But many Fillipinos do not act like that.

Some Fillipinos now even say Chinese people over-reacted since they say these kind of tragedies happened in many countries not just theirs. These kind of twisted statements appear again and again in many online forums.

I urge Hong Kong citizens to tell the world why you got so upset if you can write in English or other languages. It is not only the killing by one person itself, but the unprofessional behavior, arrogance and lack of sincerity on the part of some Fillipino officials and civilians that have made this tragedy worse.(Are Pr. Aquino, and the senior officials not representing the Fillipino people and the country? They better behave appropriately.)

That is only my judgement. Hong Kong people should let the world hear their voice. I don't think Hong Kong people are that unreasonable. They are westernised and law-abiding people. Eighty thousand people marched quietly yesterday to remember the victims and urge the Fillipino government to conduct an invetigation into the tragedy in a fair and open manner. No slogans and shouting yesterday. Just a lot of sorrow. It is nice that some Fillipinos joined the march. Look! That's the humanitarian spirit that will heal the wounds over time. That is what Hong Kong and Manila need.)

No excuse is accepted in a civilised world. If this hijacking happened in Canada and the USA, it will be different. We get more professionally trained policemen, and the social norms here are different from that of the Phillipines. The loss of human lives might be reduced. Even if the rescue still failed but the police and officials have tried their best (and act professionally), no one will blame them. It is just a tragic incident that nobody wants. It just happened.

Draping killer's coffin with national flag, and over a thousand people showed to say goodbye to a tourist killing "hero". They must be joking.
Andrew Wile

Edmonton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2010

Judged:

Watching Solemnly wrote:
The Fillipino society is weak in morality standards. Some people there can't even think logically and of course can't tell whether something is right or wrong, and moral or immoral. A killer is treated as a hero and good man. So they (some people but not necessarily the whole country) never feel ashamed of putting their national flag on Rolando Mendoza's coffin. Over 1,000 people showed up in Mendoza's funeral to say goodbye. They removed the flag after Beijing protested. But many Fillipinos are unhappy because they think China interferes into their internal affairs and sovereignty rights.
In this very tragic moment, people in most countries would act differently. Most people will voluntarily avoid glorifying the killing and avoid hurting the feeling of the victims once more. They will behave adequately for humanitarian reasons. But many Fillipinos do not act like that.
Some Fillipinos now even say Chinese people over-reacted since they say these kind of tragedies happened in many countries not just theirs. These kind of twisted statements appear again and again in many online forums.
I urge Hong Kong citizens to tell the world why you got so upset if you can write in English or other languages. It is not only the killing by one person itself, but the unprofessional behavior, arrogance and lack of sincerity on the part of some Fillipino officials and civilians that have made this tragedy worse.(Are Pr. Aquino, and the senior officials not representing the Fillipino people and the country? They better behave appropriately.)
That is only my judgement. Hong Kong people should let the world hear their voice. I don't think Hong Kong people are that unreasonable. They are westernised and law-abiding people. Eighty thousand people marched quietly yesterday to remember the victims and urge the Fillipino government to conduct an invetigation into the tragedy in a fair and open manner. No slogans and shouting yesterday. Just a lot of sorrow. It is nice that some Fillipinos joined the march. Look! That's the humanitarian spirit that will heal the wounds over time. That is what Hong Kong and Manila need.)
No excuse is accepted in a civilised world. If this hijacking happened in Canada and the USA, it will be different. We get more professionally trained policemen, and the social norms here are different from that of the Phillipines. The loss of human lives might be reduced. Even if the rescue still failed but the police and officials have tried their best (and act professionally), no one will blame them. It is just a tragic incident that nobody wants. It just happened.
Draping killer's coffin with national flag, and over a thousand people showed to say goodbye to a tourist killing "hero". They must be joking.
Agreed.
cannot believe it

Central District, Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2011

Judged:

Now I understand more about Fillipinos.
What a Sin

Chilliwack, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Judged:

Watching Solemnly wrote:
Filipinos posed for photographs in front of the crime scene too. A sight-seeing spot of Manila?
ignorant

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Judged:

too bad, filipino are ignorant people, they can not learn wise

there once a HK reporter ask the police snipper if they will open fire and shot the bad guy.

the police snipper reply "no", their excuse is that the "bad guy" also have human right. and unless the situation goes bad (means casualty occurs) they will not open fire.

so this behavior is already irrational and weird, if they wait until the situation goes bad and someone innocent is killed and then they(the police snipper) will then take action and shot the bad guy. but it's too late, the innocent people is killed already.
ignorant

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

Judged:

there are many irrational and weird behavior in the 3rd world countries of the world.

philippines is one among them, especially the philippines catholic church.

the phil government leaders(although they are ignorant), but they have been trying to control the exploding phil population.

but this was oppose by the phil catholic church, the phil catholic church oppose the use of condomn and birth control pill, saying using the condomn is a sin.

i know abortion is a sin, but i never heard that using a condomn is a sin, the phil catholic church has its own excuse explanation.

the phil gov't can not control their population by means of birth control. that's why their population keeps on exploding from 50 million few decades ago to 100 million now.

there are many problem rise in over population, poverty, unemployment, pollution, environment damage, diseases, robbery and many more.

but their gov't still can not control their population because of oppose by the catholic church.
ignorant

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

countries like africa and india also facing over population problem,

but they can not control their population, so their population is like a expanding balloon keeps on expanding until it burst out like an atomic explosion.
Dave of the Prarie

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2012

Judged:

You can't argue with filips.

They are convoluted. Many think they themselves are victims of this tragedy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Canada Forum right now

Search the Canada Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
..CBC....10,000...Children.... 56 min SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
What's Behind Canada's Troubled Relationship Wi... 5 hr Chugs are Slugs 8
Malaysian MH17 tragedy points to sloppy America... 8 hr John 2
Share a good site of good quality handbags,shoe... 13 hr JossyElla168 11
Feminist Therese Casgrain disappears from publi... 19 hr Adair 1
Craig Allen's father is bicycling across Canada... 20 hr borders 1
hello, help me pleaze,juste a clic for this lin... Sun ismo sharin 1
•••
•••