Spence released from hospital, pledges First Nations struggle will continue

Jan 25, 2013 Full story: Edmonton Journal 12

After opposition parties rallied around Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence and a reinvigorated Shawn Atleo returned to the helm of the Assembly of First Nations on Thursday, the Harper government was giving no new hints about its next move.

Full Story
Hun

Port Alberni, Canada

#1 Jan 25, 2013
This is like watching the adventures of the three stooges.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Hun wrote:
This is like watching the adventures of the three stooges.
Not really. At least the Stooges were mildly entertaining.
me

Coquitlam, Canada

#3 Jan 25, 2013
Hospitalization isn't what she needed. She needs a grand slam breakfast followed by a Big Mac combo ( biggie sized of-course) followed by a porterhouse steak and prawns for starters to fill her fat Indian face. All payed for by the hard working, tax paying non native people of Canada.
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

#4 Jan 25, 2013
I heard weight watchers just put a warrant out for her arrest!
gawdahhful

United States

#5 Jan 25, 2013
canadians are anti-native racists

drive thru a reservation and see for yourself

the kind of living condition that confronts them

oh right......most reservation are only reachable by plane.......sooooorry!

so you comfy white people don't have to feel too bad for your sorry selves

make a grocery run up north, prices are 3-4 times what you have at your corner store, let alone you discount outlets

anglos are just racist pricks and are oblivious to reality.....have a beer on that one, HOCKEY FANS!
me

Coquitlam, Canada

#6 Jan 25, 2013
gawdahhful wrote:

make a grocery run up north, prices are 3-4 times what you have at your corner store, let alone you discount outlets

anglos are just racist pricks and are oblivious to reality.....have a beer on that one, HOCKEY FANS!
They keep complaining that they are losing their heritage. I say be native, be as their ancestors were. Live off the land. Did chief running dog ever go to a grocery store or say " hey where is my handout ". Their is plenty of land to plant crops, hunt,fish etc. Time to stop blaming the white man and get off their buts and do something productive. It's like a junkie son. Does giving the junkie money solve the problem or make it worse?? Well giving money hasn't helped, so now what. Maybe they should take responsibility for them selves for a change. Calling Anglos racist is a cop out. We aren't the ones with the problem but we are paying $$$ for their problem. Bs
Hun

Duncan, Canada

#7 Jan 26, 2013
gawdahhful wrote:
As if an American has the moral high ground.Bugger off and mind your own damn business.
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

#8 Jan 26, 2013
gawdahhful wrote:
Shut up Yanky remember wounded knee, at least our Indians get handouts. Don't forget who burned down your White House the last time you messed with us... Took Detroit without firing a shot. You idiots drew up the peace treaty but I'm sure you don't read that in your history books eh! The Indians get millions they need to deal with band council corruption, they have self rule and abuse it here's a tissue now fack off before I hit you with my hockey stick.( go deal with your KKK & racist white power groups )( maybe go start another retarded war like Iraq, ps you ever find those weapons of "Mass" destruction? LOL !!!)
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

#9 Jan 26, 2013
Chief Clarence Louie, Osoyoos BC speaking in Northern Alberta :
Speaking to a large aboriginal conference and some of the attendees, including a few who hold high office, have straggled in.
'I can't stand people who are late, he says into the microphone. Indian Time doesn't cut it.' Some giggle, but no one is quite sure how far he is going to go. Just sit back and listen:
'My first rule for success is Show up on time.''My No. 2 rule for success is follow Rule No. 1.''If your life sucks, it's because you suck.''Quit your sniffling.''Join the real world. Go to school, or get a job.''Get off of welfare. Get off your butt.' He pauses, seeming to gauge whether he dare, then does.
'People often say to me, How you doin'? Geez I'm working with Indians what do you think?' Now they are openly laughing ..... applauding. Clarence Louie is everything that was advertised and more.
'Our ancestors worked for a living, he says. So should you.' He is, fortunately, aboriginal himself. If someone else stood up and said these things - the white columnist standing there with his mouth open, for example - you'd be seen as a racist. Instead, Chief Clarence Louie is seen, increasingly, as one of the most interesting and innovative native leaders in the country even though he avoids national politics.
Clarence Louie is chief and CEO of the Osoyoos Band in British Columbia's South Okanagan. He is 44 years old, though he looks like he would have been an infant when he began his remarkable 20-year-run as chief.. He took a band that had been declared bankrupt and taken over by Indian Affairs and he has turned in into an inspiration.
In 2000, the band set a goal of becoming self-sufficient in five years.
They're there.
The Osoyoos, 432 strong, own, among other things, a vineyard, a winery, a golf course and a tourist resort, and they are partners in the Baldy Mountain ski development. They have more businesses per capita than any other first nation in Canada.
There are not only enough jobs for everyone, there are so many jobs being created that there are now members of 13 other tribal communities working for the Osoyoos. The little band contributes $40-million a year to the area economy.
Chief Louie is tough. He is as proud of the fact that his band fires its own people as well as hires them. He has his mottos posted throughout the Rez.
He believes there is no such thing as consensus, that there will always be those who disagree. And, he says, he is milquetoast compared to his own mother when it comes to how today's lazy aboriginal youth, almost exclusively male, should be dealt with.

Rent a plane, she told him, and fly them all to Iraq. Dump'em off and all the ones who make it back are keepers. Right on, Mom.
The message he has brought here to the Chipewyan, Dene and Cree who live around the oil sands is equally direct:'Get involved, create jobs and meaningful jobs, not just window dressing for the oil companies.''The biggest employer,' he says,'shouldn't be the band office.' He also says the time has come to get over it.'No more whining about 100-year-old failed experiments.''No foolishly looking to the Queen to protect rights.'

'You're going to lose your language and culture faster in poverty than you will in economic development', he says to those who say he is ignoring tradition.
Eighty per cent like what I have to say, Louie says, twenty per cent don't. I always say to the 20 per cent,'Get over it.''Chances are you're never going to see me again and I'm never going to see you again''Get some counseling.'

The first step, he says, is all about leadership. He prides himself on being a stay-home chief who looks after the potholes in his own backyard and wastes no time running around fighting 100-year-old battles.
'The biggest challenge will be how you treat your own people.'

'Blaming government? That time is over.'
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

#10 Jan 26, 2013
Chief Clarence Louie, Osoyoos BC speaking in Northern Alberta :
Speaking to a large aboriginal conference and some of the attendees, including a few who hold high office, have straggled in.
'I can't stand people who are late, he says into the microphone. Indian Time doesn't cut it.' Some giggle, but no one is quite sure how far he is going to go. Just sit back and listen:
'My first rule for success is Show up on time.''My No. 2 rule for success is follow Rule No. 1.''If your life sucks, it's because you suck.''Quit your sniffling.''Join the real world. Go to school, or get a job.''Get off of welfare. Get off your butt.' He pauses, seeming to gauge whether he dare, then does.
'People often say to me, How you doin'? Geez I'm working with Indians what do you think?' Now they are openly laughing ..... applauding. Clarence Louie is everything that was advertised and more.
'Our ancestors worked for a living, he says. So should you.' He is, fortunately, aboriginal himself. If someone else stood up and said these things - the white columnist standing there with his mouth open, for example - you'd be seen as a racist. Instead, Chief Clarence Louie is seen, increasingly, as one of the most interesting and innovative native leaders in the country even though he avoids national politics.

Clarence Louie is chief and CEO of the Osoyoos Band in British Columbia's South Okanagan. He is 44 years old, though he looks like he would have been an infant when he began his remarkable 20-year-run as chief.. He took a band that had been declared bankrupt and taken over by Indian Affairs and he has turned in into an inspiration.
In 2000, the band set a goal of becoming self-sufficient in five years.
They're there.
The Osoyoos, 432 strong, own, among other things, a vineyard, a winery, a golf course and a tourist resort, and they are partners in the Baldy Mountain ski development. They have more businesses per capita than any other first nation in Canada.
There are not only enough jobs for everyone, there are so many jobs being created that there are now members of 13 other tribal communities working for the Osoyoos. The little band contributes $40-million a year to the area economy.
Chief Louie is tough. He is as proud of the fact that his band fires its own people as well as hires them. He has his mottos posted throughout the Rez.
He believes there is no such thing as consensus, that there will always be those who disagree. And, he says, he is milquetoast compared to his own mother when it comes to how today's lazy aboriginal youth, almost exclusively male, should be dealt with.

Rent a plane, she told him, and fly them all to Iraq. Dump'em off and all the ones who make it back are keepers. Right on, Mom.
The message he has brought here to the Chipewyan, Dene and Cree who live around the oil sands is equally direct:'Get involved, create jobs and meaningful jobs, not just window dressing for the oil companies.''The biggest employer,' he says,'shouldn't be the band office.' He also says the time has come to get over it.'No more whining about 100-year-old failed experiments.''No foolishly looking to the Queen!

'You're going to lose your language and culture faster in poverty than you will in economic development', he says to those who say he is ignoring tradition.

Eighty per cent like what I have to say, Louie says, twenty per cent don't. I always say to the 20 per cent,'Get over it.''Chances are you're never going to see me again and I'm never going to see you again''Get some counseling.'

The first step, he says, is all about leadership. He prides himself on being a stay-home chief who looks after the potholes in his own backyard and wastes no time running around fighting 100-year-old battles.

'The biggest challenge will be how you treat your own people.'

'Blaming government? That time is over.'
me

Coquitlam, Canada

#12 Jan 29, 2013
Totally agree Jay.. Thanks for sharing.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#13 Jan 30, 2013
gawdahhful wrote:
I'd worry about the dog shit in your own yard before pointng the finger at any other country.
I've driven through plenty of reserves, "guardians of the environment" my ass. The obligatory 30 yr old Chevy sitting on blocks leaking fluids. Trash strewn everywhere. Make the redneck yards in the Ozarks look like they should be on the Parade of Homes.

And Chief Spence, what a piece of work she is. Attawapiskat looks like a shanty town that sprung up in the middle of a garbage dump, despite hauling in between $500-600 MILLION between 2006-2011, and she thinks she has ANY say about how the govt is dealing with the environment?

Sadly, it is human garbage like her that gives the FN a bad name.
There are plenty of good reserves with honest Chiefs that do just fine here. The reason you don't hear much about those ones is with a predominantly leftist media, it's hard to claim how hard done by the FNs are when there are several successful reserves. Plus all the radicals that only want to blame one group of people without taking a good hard look at themselves.

Back to Chief Spence, a couple of years ago they had to tear down the shcool in Attawapiskat, for perfectly legitimate reasons mind you. Problem is, they then decided to build a new arena, bought a zamboni for $70,000, paid $80,000 to have it shipped and then complained that their kids didn't even have a school to go to.

Spence is the kind of person who, when she opens her mouth, the first question you wanna ask her is, "What colour is the sky in your world?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sikh religion viewed unfavorably in B.C. (May '09) 3 hr HinduChowChow 11,033
do you need a loan 5 hr mr johnson 1
looking for grandview/galt training school for ... (Oct '08) 9 hr Lee McKay 182
On second thought: Why Canada is long overdue f... 10 hr yes 2
Assisted suicide: Canadian Medical Association ... 20 hr Jan Forrest 2
Diplomatica: Turkey needs assistance from allie... 23 hr sam 1
Canada faces new Cold War in Europe and hot war... 23 hr sam 1
More from around the web