Tar Sands: Poisoning Earth and Canada's Good Name

Feb 15, 2013 Full story: Common Dreams 145

On Sunday tens of thousands are set to converge on the White House in what organizers are promoting as "the largest climate rally in U.S. history." The protesters will be calling on Barack Obama to reject the Keystone XL pipeline.

Full Story
tbdjty

Millersburg, PA

#23 Mar 3, 2013
paul SHYKORA arts wrote:
...Western Canada ..Oil and Gas go forth..simple...eh...$$$...(ya das u u..shalom..
so true
PAUL shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#24 Mar 4, 2013
tbdjty wrote:
<quoted text>so true
..yes...for romantic Alberta,golden Saskatchewan and supernatural British Columbia,...with frontier Yukon...energy,toooooooooooooo oooo boooooot...eh..
Cana

Burnaby, Canada

#25 Mar 5, 2013
Canada hasn't had a good name for decades; so stop being delusional my fellow canucks!

Tarsands are bad, our regulations need to be inforced with AFN poeples at the fore front!
Slack Slow Dumb

Victoria, Canada

#26 Mar 6, 2013
Cana wrote:
Canada hasn't had a good name for decades; so stop being delusional my fellow canucks!
Tarsands are bad, our regulations need to be inforced with AFN poeples at the fore front!
That is very touching. The only forefront many Canadians in the right faction of society care about is how anything and everything could potential make us richer than we were before. I like living a good life with all the luxuries and comforts that can be bought with wealth. All the noble ideals don't amount to squat unless it somehow makes me rich. Deny it all you enviro left tards want, wealth is power and with enough wealth and influence, one can almost bulldoze anything in the way.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#27 Mar 6, 2013
Strip mining 75,000 acres of old growth forests to get that sand tar oil and processing it is going to be a large part of the end of human beings. Add in the chemicals they use to process shale gas and shale oil, the ocean is already 90 percent fished out and polluted, and 50 percent of the coral is already gone from the pollution (coral produces a great deal of our oxygen).

By the time they dump those massive amounts of chemicals into the ocean from fracking, OMG. Seriously, OMG. The toxic chemical already wash up on the shores and it would kill humans if they got anywhere near them. Imagine now fracking the entire nation for shale gas and shale oil and dumping those chemicals into the ocean which is already so polluted. Then the sun takes up the polluted water and then it rains on the soil and into the fresh water.

The desperate oil and gas companies know that the human race is going to die off in total once they are done extracting sand tar oil, shale gas and shale oil. This is the end of the human race, the end of any clean water, any clean air and any non-toxic top soil. Everyone is going to die from this starting in about ten more years. No way around any of it.

Global warming is melting the ice that has been keeping the methane gases locked into the earth. Wait until that massive amount of methane goes into the air on top of the chemicals put into the ocean from fracking, on top of the air and water pollution from sand tar processing on top of the loss of coral and loss of old growth forests which takes away everything that takes in carbon. OMG. The end of humans is here.

And, the only reason the oil and gas companies are bothering with this stuff, with fracking and with sand tars is because all of the cheap oil is gone. That is why oil is no longer $20 a barrel, it shot up to $150 a barrel and has sat at about $110 a barrel for the last 4 years. So the oil companies figure get it anyway they can, get any oil anyway they can, and that is the end of human beings. No way around it, so enjoy your last ten years of life.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#28 Mar 6, 2013
Slack Slow Dumb wrote:
<quoted text>
That is very touching. The only forefront many Canadians in the right faction of society care about is how anything and everything could potential make us richer than we were before. I like living a good life with all the luxuries and comforts that can be bought with wealth. All the noble ideals don't amount to squat unless it somehow makes me rich. Deny it all you enviro left tards want, wealth is power and with enough wealth and influence, one can almost bulldoze anything in the way.
The consumerism life style is ending. They easy fast money, cheap gas, cheap stuff from China is ending. The gig is up, and the humans who lived this fat, fat lifestyle are 0.001 percent of the time humans have been on the planet. It will be recorded in history as carbon man, the age of carbon man and the end of carbon man. Only lasted about 100 years. The train ride is ending.
PAUL shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#30 Mar 6, 2013
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>The consumerism life style is ending. They easy fast money, cheap gas, cheap stuff from China is ending. The gig is up, and the humans who lived this fat, fat lifestyle are 0.001 percent of the time humans have been on the planet. It will be recorded in history as carbon man, the age of carbon man and the end of carbon man. Only lasted about 100 years. The train ride is ending.
...HOGWASh,POOPfart..BULL manure of.....FEAR,here...eh..I's ''sell'' more..$$$ ART-Works to the GOOD/bad Oil Folks' eh..(+)...

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#31 Mar 7, 2013
Pamela wrote:
Strip mining 75,000 acres of old growth forests to get that sand tar oil and processing it is going to be a large part of the end of human beings.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA old growth forest. Is that what the environazis would have you believe? Lemmie tell you something, I used to live up in Fort Mac before the oil rush. Those oil sands have always been a toxic wasteland. The oil sand is just under the surface so any plants unfortunate enough to take root there would have little chance of long term survival.
I'm sure you've seen those "before" and after pics. Well the ones showing lush forest and clear, blue lakes are bullshit. One of them is actually a Windows7 desktop wallpaper. At least two others I've seen are places I've been since the oil sands became exploited. They still look the same because they aren't anywhere near the oil sands.

Oil doesn't just power the gobal economy, it IS the global economy.
Over 6,000 consumer goods are made from the by-products of oil, hundreds of which are everyday items in our homes. In fact, if it weren't for oil, not only would you not have the computer or device you used to make your post, but the telecom companies that bring you internet and cable or SAT TV access wouldn't exist without it either.

Oil is a necessary "evil". All we can do is make sure it's done with the least environmental cost that we can.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#32 Mar 7, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA old growth forest. Is that what the environazis would have you believe? Lemmie tell you something, I used to live up in Fort Mac before the oil rush. Those oil sands have always been a toxic wasteland. The oil sand is just under the surface so any plants unfortunate enough to take root there would have little chance of long term survival.
I'm sure you've seen those "before" and after pics. Well the ones showing lush forest and clear, blue lakes are bullshit. One of them is actually a Windows7 desktop wallpaper. At least two others I've seen are places I've been since the oil sands became exploited. They still look the same because they aren't anywhere near the oil sands.
Oil doesn't just power the gobal economy, it IS the global economy.
Over 6,000 consumer goods are made from the by-products of oil, hundreds of which are everyday items in our homes. In fact, if it weren't for oil, not only would you not have the computer or device you used to make your post, but the telecom companies that bring you internet and cable or SAT TV access wouldn't exist without it either.
Oil is a necessary "evil". All we can do is make sure it's done with the least environmental cost that we can.
Oil is no longer cheap. It's no longer $20 a barrel. It's more like $110 a barrel. Have you heard of Jeff Rubin? He's one of you guys. He's a Canadian economist and he writes books about end end of cheap oil and the consequences of it. His latest book is called The End of Growth and he makes the point that the minute China or any other countries tries to grow on triple digit oil prices, it will have to stop it's growth. And now China just tried to grow and it stopped. So there it is. He talks about how the high price of oil will end globalization and we will all go back to making and growing things locally. If we use oil to make things, to grow food and for transport and it is 5-7 times more expensive than it ever has been in the past, that means ONLY the super rich will be able to afford to live. Processing tar sands means there is no more easy to get at big pools of good oil. Same reason they are fracking for shale oil and doing deep water drilling, and all of those things are very expensive. So soon enough it becomes cheaper to get off of oil and go onto other forms of energy, never mind it will stop us from all dying off.
acceptable

Victoria, Canada

#33 Mar 7, 2013
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Oil is no longer cheap. It's no longer $20 a barrel. It's more like $110 a barrel. Have you heard of Jeff Rubin? He's one of you guys. He's a Canadian economist and he writes books about end end of cheap oil and the consequences of it. His latest book is called The End of Growth and he makes the point that the minute China or any other countries tries to grow on triple digit oil prices, it will have to stop it's growth. And now China just tried to grow and it stopped. So there it is. He talks about how the high price of oil will end globalization and we will all go back to making and growing things locally. If we use oil to make things, to grow food and for transport and it is 5-7 times more expensive than it ever has been in the past, that means ONLY the super rich will be able to afford to live. Processing tar sands means there is no more easy to get at big pools of good oil. Same reason they are fracking for shale oil and doing deep water drilling, and all of those things are very expensive. So soon enough it becomes cheaper to get off of oil and go onto other forms of energy, never mind it will stop us from all dying off.
Even if oil companies didn't rule the world, the food, pharmaceuticals, info tech, banking, hydro electrics, natural gas, solar-wind-tidal power organizations will replace them to rule the world in exactly the same way. When air, water, sunshine becomes scarce, companies will rise in these sectors to rule the world and boss you and everyone else around. When the Earth finally dies with everything on it, the millionaires, billionaires, trillionaires will buy very expensive tickets on the few spaceships off the planet to some other world. Everyone else who isn't rich are screwed because they are poor.

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#34 Mar 7, 2013
acceptable and crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if oil companies didn't rule the world, the food, pharmaceuticals, info tech, banking, hydro electrics, natural gas, solar-wind-tidal power organizations will replace them to rule the world in exactly the same way. When air, water, sunshine becomes scarce, companies will rise in these sectors to rule the world and boss you and everyone else around. When the Earth finally dies with everything on it, the millionaires, billionaires, trillionaires will buy very expensive tickets on the few spaceships off the planet to some other world. Everyone else who isn't rich are screwed because they are poor.
Yeah....right. O.o

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#35 Mar 7, 2013
acceptable wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if oil companies didn't rule the world, the food, pharmaceuticals, info tech, banking, hydro electrics, natural gas, solar-wind-tidal power organizations will replace them to rule the world in exactly the same way. When air, water, sunshine becomes scarce, companies will rise in these sectors to rule the world and boss you and everyone else around. When the Earth finally dies with everything on it, the millionaires, billionaires, trillionaires will buy very expensive tickets on the few spaceships off the planet to some other world. Everyone else who isn't rich are screwed because they are poor.
Wow! you're quite the victim, aren't you?
i can see why you think, and let, others control you...

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#36 Mar 7, 2013
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Oil is no longer cheap. It's no longer $20 a barrel. It's more like $110 a barrel. Have you heard of Jeff Rubin? He's one of you guys. He's a Canadian economist and he writes books about end end of cheap oil and the consequences of it. His latest book is called The End of Growth and he makes the point that the minute China or any other countries tries to grow on triple digit oil prices, it will have to stop it's growth. And now China just tried to grow and it stopped. So there it is. He talks about how the high price of oil will end globalization and we will all go back to making and growing things locally. If we use oil to make things, to grow food and for transport and it is 5-7 times more expensive than it ever has been in the past, that means ONLY the super rich will be able to afford to live. Processing tar sands means there is no more easy to get at big pools of good oil. Same reason they are fracking for shale oil and doing deep water drilling, and all of those things are very expensive. So soon enough it becomes cheaper to get off of oil and go onto other forms of energy, never mind it will stop us from all dying off.
We've had triple digit oil prices often and for quite a while now...

is this the same guy that told you Mexico was out of oil? the same guy that told you the US had only two weeks of oil left in the 1970's?

your credibilty when talking about oil and it's use in this wolrd is really non-existent....
PAUL shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#37 Mar 7, 2013
Cana wrote:
Canada hasn't had a good name for decades; so stop being delusional my fellow canucks!
Tarsands are bad, our regulations need to be inforced with AFN poeples at the fore front!
..ahhhhh..romantic Alberta ..go forth...eh...(+)...$yada u u..shalom
Vasil

Pleven, Bulgaria

#38 Mar 7, 2013
PAUL shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#39 Mar 7, 2013
...go forth....our OIL and Gas...eh...!!!...$shalom..yada u u

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#40 Mar 7, 2013
PAUL shykora ARTs wrote:
...go forth....our OIL and Gas...eh...!!!...$shalom..yada u u
You betcha, yada u....(+):-D

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#41 Mar 7, 2013
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Oil is no longer cheap. It's no longer $20 a barrel. It's more like $110 a barrel. Have you heard of Jeff Rubin? He's one of you guys. He's a Canadian economist and he writes books about end end of cheap oil and the consequences of it. His latest book is called The End of Growth and he makes the point that the minute China or any other countries tries to grow on triple digit oil prices, it will have to stop it's growth. And now China just tried to grow and it stopped. So there it is. He talks about how the high price of oil will end globalization and we will all go back to making and growing things locally. If we use oil to make things, to grow food and for transport and it is 5-7 times more expensive than it ever has been in the past, that means ONLY the super rich will be able to afford to live. Processing tar sands means there is no more easy to get at big pools of good oil. Same reason they are fracking for shale oil and doing deep water drilling, and all of those things are very expensive. So soon enough it becomes cheaper to get off of oil and go onto other forms of energy, never mind it will stop us from all dying off.
When I say oil IS the global economy, I mean it IS. Google "products made from oil" and you'll see it does much MUCH more than provide power and make cars go "vroom".
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#42 Mar 8, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
When I say oil IS the global economy, I mean it IS. Google "products made from oil" and you'll see it does much MUCH more than provide power and make cars go "vroom".
If oil will be 5 to 8 times more expensive than it has always been then the global economy cannot ever grow again. If every item is going to cost 5 times more that it used to, most people won't be able to buy things. If no countries can make things cheap and can't sell things cheaply, people can't buy things, that is the end of the capitalist system, that is the end of GDP growth. If globalization ends because of high oil prices, meaning high cost of shipping products to other countries, then countries will make things locally and grow food locally. The high price of oil means the total destruction of the planet and of the human species for the oil and gas companies to get the last bit of oil and gas that is left. Only the billionaires will survive. If you have no GDP growth due to no more cheap oil, the U.S. has NO way to pay back it's debt. It will default on its debt. And when it can't borrow $1 trillion every year to hand out to the people, people will be homeless, dirt poor and rioting. Are you going to pay 5 times more for gas, 5 times more for every item made in China due to high transport and manufacturing costs? No, no one is.

Now you know why the rich took the U.S. down to steal all of the money. They knew cheap oil was running out and that world oil production was going top peak in 2008. Why do you think Bush got the oil in Iraq for Exxon and for BP? Why do you think Bush bought an aquifer in Argentina?? Cause oil and water will run out soon enough.
WTF

Chicago, IL

#43 Mar 8, 2013
I wonder how everyone will getting to the rally? Car, bus, train, or maybe a train? Hmmm, what do these vehicles use for fuel?
After the rally look at the pictures of the ground. Betcha there will be some garbage left around on the ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Halton drug strategy years in the making (Jun '14) 1 hr local letters not... 4
Two Corrections employees among 29 people arres... 5 hr cam 1
Halton police mark province-wide 'Protect Your ... Sat Kerry 1
Cornies: Distorted view of black history demand... Sat Sam 1
Adobe After Effects CC 2014 Portable Full Downl... Fri zarahkhan 1
A devolution in Ontario's PC party Fri One 1
Canadian First Nations Seek to Protect Forest H... Fri Chief Sukcok 5
More from around the web