Close encounter with ice-free bears s...

Close encounter with ice-free bears shocks Coca-Cola exec

There are 34 comments on the Canada.com story from Dec 29, 2010, titled Close encounter with ice-free bears shocks Coca-Cola exec. In it, Canada.com reports that:

Polar bear , in Wapusk National Park, Manitoba, Canada. Photograph by: James Carpenter, WWF-Canada A close encounter with polar bears in northern Manitoba on a recent trip has left a trio of corporate partners shocked about the extent of global warming and renewing commitments to reduce their environmental footprint in partnership with customers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
albedodown

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Dec 29, 2010
From the article:
Meantime, Coca-Cola said it has committed to reducing its own environmental footprint, while continuing to grow its business through new initiatives such as the introduction of Canada's first every heavy-duty hybrid electric trucks for shipments. The beverage company is aiming for a five per cent reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions over the next five years and is also hoping to raise awareness in advertising for others to do the same.
//////////

Got to get started on the low hanging fruit. Later, electric trucks like this could make good pickings too:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/12/trex-...
Chuck

Southworth, WA

#2 Dec 29, 2010
5,000 polar bears in the 1970s. 25,000 polar bears now. More lies and propaganda. Wow they really know how to lie.
albedodown

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Dec 29, 2010
[QUOTE who="chuckycheez, the prophettt"]5,000 polar bears in the 1970s. 25,000 polar bears now.[/QUOTE]

Deniers love to pick beginning points that make their desired outcome look good. In this case, deniers think they are saying there is no AGW. What they really said is, first, we under-estimate bear populations in the 1960's to make it look like populations are exploding. Numerous estimates give world Polar Bear populations as 2 to 3 times higher in the 60's. Even deniers' scientist giving a lowball estimate, at the time gave a range higher than the 5000 & later upped his original estimate of 60's world Polar Bear population. Second, deniers get the years wrong, to make populations look even more like precipitous rises. Third, deniers don't mention hunting regs instituted to protect Polar Bears, due to the growing & extensive use of snowmobiles used by hunters. Fourth, deniers seldom mention different bear populations in different regions. Deniers would NOT want to report regions where Polar Bear populations were being reduced.

“Alius bardus latin laudo”

Since: Nov 08

Jackson St Forest, CA

#4 Dec 29, 2010
albedodown wrote:
From the article:
Meantime, Coca-Cola said it has committed to reducing its own environmental footprint, while continuing to grow its business through new initiatives such as the introduction of Canada's first every heavy-duty hybrid electric trucks for shipments. The beverage company is aiming for a five per cent reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions over the next five years and is also hoping to raise awareness in advertising for others to do the same.
//////////
Got to get started on the low hanging fruit. Later, electric trucks like this could make good pickings too:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/12/trex-...
Polar bears spend most of their life in water and have been spotted as far as 50 miles away from land. They actually spend several months a year at sea.
Chuck

Southworth, WA

#5 Dec 29, 2010
albedodown wrote:
<quoted text>
Deniers love to pick beginning points that make their desired outcome look good. In this case, deniers think they are saying there is no AGW. What they really said is, first, we under-estimate bear populations in the 1960's to make it look like populations are exploding. Numerous estimates give world Polar Bear populations as 2 to 3 times higher in the 60's. Even deniers' scientist giving a lowball estimate, at the time gave a range higher than the 5000 & later upped his original estimate of 60's world Polar Bear population. Second, deniers get the years wrong, to make populations look even more like precipitous rises. Third, deniers don't mention hunting regs instituted to protect Polar Bears, due to the growing & extensive use of snowmobiles used by hunters. Fourth, deniers seldom mention different bear populations in different regions. Deniers would NOT want to report regions where Polar Bear populations were being reduced.
In other words the polar bears are doing just fine and the Coca Cola exec is a lying piece of trash.
albedodown

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Dec 29, 2010
Chuck wrote:
In other words the polar bears are doing just fine and the Coca Cola exec is a lying piece of trash.
You've been taking 'smart' lessons from the sub-sub-kindergarten level,'brian_g stumble butt' & your topics of the day out of the garbage can, haven't you!
northern most USA city

Toronto, Canada

#7 Dec 29, 2010
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/barrow-ak
albedodown wrote:
...
Got to get started on the low hanging fruit....
http://www.thestar.com/business/markets/artic...
Chuck

Southworth, WA

#8 Dec 29, 2010
albedodown wrote:
<quoted text>
You've been taking 'smart' lessons from the sub-sub-kindergarten level,'brian_g stumble butt' & your topics of the day out of the garbage can, haven't you!
The UN, IPCC, NASA and the rest of the mayan moon god idol worshippers are complete fools. The more they deny the divinity of Christ the colder it will get, and the harsher their punishment will be. Today on the news I saw the 7 mile backup on I-5 due to more snow. Satanist Al Gore said that the days of snowy winters were over.

Ha Ha.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Snow-returns-...

http://www.kirotv.com/weather/26299560/detail...

http://instaweatherinsights.wordpress.com/201...
paul

Commerce City, CO

#9 Dec 29, 2010
Wasn't it decided recently that polar bears were not a endangered species? Seem to me that there was some effort to classify them, and when the agencies took a look at the full situation, the bears were more numerous than previous counts?
paul

Commerce City, CO

#11 Dec 29, 2010
What the hell do Coco Cola executives know about anything except to produce a beverage?
albedodown

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Dec 29, 2010
Chuck wrote:
The more they deny the divinity of Christ.........
Do you say I do not have Christ as my Savior, because I don't believe in your 'church of the benign CO2 gigatonnages'?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#13 Dec 30, 2010
Largest Carnivore on Land - Polar Bear
Ursus maritimus

Polar Bears are Cool
"Polar bears spend a lot of time moving great distances in search of their favorite food - seals. The range of these bears can vary from 20,000 to as many as 135,000 square miles. They hunt for seals through the winter ice that forms over the ocean, where the seals spend most of their time (to get away from the bears). When the ice over the sea melts in summer the polar bears can't hunt for the seals as easily, so they fast all summer long. In order to survive an entire summer without food they eat a LOT of seals in winter building up fat stores until half of their body mass is pure fat. That enormously thick layer of fat also helps to keep them comfortably warm while living in an inhospitably cold environment.

During the summer months when the sea ice melts they will roam as far south as Hudson Bay, where they hang out and "chill" until the sea ice forms again in the fall. The warmest areas in summer are inland regions of Siberia, Alaska, and Canada where temperatures can reach as high as 90°F/32°C, which is pretty comfortable for folks without fur coats (you and me)."
http://www.extremescience.com/zoom/index.php/...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#14 Dec 30, 2010
POLAR BEAR
"The polar bear tries to fatten up before the sea ice melts. They are no longer able to catch seals so they move ashore. In the summer polar bears eats plants and berries. They also eat fish, lemmings, arctic foxes, birds and bird eggs. In late summer and early autumm the bears go along the coastline looking for dead whales and dead walruses."
http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/arctic/pbe...
LessHypeMoreFact

Nepean, Canada

#15 Dec 30, 2010
Why not get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Polar bears spend most of their life in water and have been spotted as far as 50 miles away from land. They actually spend several months a year at sea.
But they need to rest on ice floes and they need to catch seals resting on ice floes. They are NOT adapted to life at sea like sea otters. That bear spotted 50 miles off of land was either swimming to a distant ice floe or a case of desperation leading to drowning. Did they say whether it made it to shore?? Even people have survived after boat sinkings to get 50 miles from shore. Does this mean that they like drowning?

They spend several months going from ice flow to ice flow sometimes in the water. They do not swim for months on end. They couldn't.

Your ignorance is abominable.
LessHypeMoreFact

Nepean, Canada

#16 Dec 30, 2010
paul wrote:
when the agencies took a look at the full situation, the bears were more numerous than previous counts?
No. There are several distinct populations and the estimates of those populations are almost guessword. How many polar bears do YOU think they spot in the average year?? Polar bears are WIDELY scattered and hard to see.

Northern populations are pretty safe since they still have ice within their reach. It is mainly the mainland populations that are being cut off from the ice and food supply. This was what the executives were shown. And they cannot just invade more northerly areas because those ARE occupied.

THe upshot is that polar bear numbers will decline with the ice pack, but we will not lose polar bears (likely) as their will be some surviving remnants in the more northerly ranges and they will probably mate with brown bears with the genes preserved to regenerate a polar bear species at some future time. i.e. the one white bear in a litter of brown due to chance recombination of the polar bear adaptation.(if it ever becomes a suitable envirionment again)
LessHypeMoreFact

Nepean, Canada

#17 Dec 30, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
POLAR BEAR
"The polar bear tries to fatten up before the sea ice melts. They are no longer able to catch seals so they move ashore. In the summer polar bears eats plants and berries. They also eat fish, lemmings, arctic foxes, birds and bird eggs. In late summer and early autumm the bears go along the coastline looking for dead whales and dead walruses."
http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/arctic/pbe...
Very much true. But what Dirtling leaves out is that they cannot fatten up enough on plants and berries to survive the long winters. He lies by telling half the truth..

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#18 Dec 30, 2010
"1. Polar bears are strong swimmers; they swim across bays or wide leads without hesitation. They can swim for several hours at a time over long distances. They've been tracked swimming continuously for 100 km (62 mi.)(Stirling, 1988)."
http://www.seaworld.org/infobooks/polarbears/...
LessHypeMoreFact

Nepean, Canada

#19 Dec 30, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
"1. Polar bears are strong swimmers; they swim across bays or wide leads without hesitation. They can swim for several hours at a time over long distances. They've been tracked swimming continuously for 100 km (62 mi.)(Stirling, 1988)."
http://www.seaworld.org/infobooks/polarbears/...
Strong swimmers true, but how much do they get to eat swimming? Nor does it pay back in terms of energy if they never get to an ice floe. It is survival for them, not a day at the pool.

They may have less endurance now as well because the layers of fat are part of their adaptation and with less fat they will probably not have the same endurance now that they had in earlier times.
paul

Commerce City, CO

#20 Dec 30, 2010
You know why polar bears are white?
So they can sneak up on that eskimo pie. HA HA HA
Mother nature already had brown bears, black bears and grizzlies so she didn't want to have them intermix so she gave them white

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#21 Dec 30, 2010
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Very much true. But what Earthling leaves out is that they cannot fatten up enough on plants and berries to survive the long winters. He lies by telling half the truth..
Have another look at my post, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty, it's a quote from a website, not my lies.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Strong swimmers true, but how much do they get to eat swimming?
When you find out, let me know?
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Nor does it pay back in terms of energy if they never get to an ice floe.
They've managed to survive for a few thousand years so far, what do you know about them that the experts don't?
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
It is survival for them, not a day at the pool.
Was that supposed to be witty?
If so, you failed, miserably.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
They may have less endurance now as well because the layers of fat are part of their adaptation and with less fat they will probably not have the same endurance now that they had in earlier times.
"May have?"
"Probably not have?"
What are you trying to say, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty, erstwhile polar bear expert extraordinaire?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Essar Steel Algoma and the three amigos!Mexican... 28 min Krazy 1
News Wellington-Halton Hills MPP Arnott: Wishing eve... 1 hr fat cat eh Ted 1
USA vs Canada in war who would win . (Sep '10) 2 hr John Adams 25
U.S./Mexico Border 9 hr Chapo 2
News Community Calendar, Feb. 6-16 (Feb '15) 13 hr Canada Day eh 5
News Canadians 'happy at home' when it comes to trav... 16 hr nothing beats Canada 2
News Bleach-based 'miracle cure' sold in Canada desp... Wed Miracle Mineral S... 1
More from around the web