Olympics: Canada cheats, kills

Posted in the Canada Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
lol

Kitchener, Canada

#1 Feb 12, 2010
http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe...

“The selfishness of the Canadian sliding federations just killed somebody”

— Anonymous American slider

One U.S. slider says that some blame should be placed with Canadian Olympic organizers for not granting international athletes more access to the course before the Games. The Vancouver Organizing Committee did add extra training time for the sliding course because of its difficulty, but U.S. athletes told SI that they had had only around 40 practice runs, while the Canadians had hundreds. "The selfishness of the Canadian sliding federations just killed somebody," the athlete says. "We all know about keeping countries off the track [strategically], but at the world championships in Lake Placid [last year] they knew the course was difficult, so the track manager left the course open. We didn't always like that, but no one got hurt."

http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/2325535;jse...
meg

Memphis, TN

#2 Feb 13, 2010
lol wrote:
http://www.torontosun.com/news /columnists/joe_warmington/201 0/02/12/12863566.html
“The selfishness of the Canadian sliding federations just killed somebody”
— Anonymous American slider
One U.S. slider says that some blame should be placed with Canadian Olympic organizers for not granting international athletes more access to the course before the Games. The Vancouver Organizing Committee did add extra training time for the sliding course because of its difficulty, but U.S. athletes told SI that they had had only around 40 practice runs, while the Canadians had hundreds. "The selfishness of the Canadian sliding federations just killed somebody," the athlete says. "We all know about keeping countries off the track [strategically], but at the world championships in Lake Placid [last year] they knew the course was difficult, so the track manager left the course open. We didn't always like that, but no one got hurt."
http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/2325535;jse...
buncha cheating beady-eyed canadian bastards!!
lol

Kitchener, Canada

#3 Feb 14, 2010
We learned well from our American friends. You might be crooks and cheats, but we like you anway.
sad to hear

Toronto, Canada

#4 Feb 14, 2010
Olympic Games begin with joy and tragedy as more protests show the World the other side of Canada

Olympic luge course designers: walls may have to be raised FRANKFURT,

as Action star-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger thrilled fans in Vancouver on Friday when he ran a portion of the Olympic torch relay ...

http://www.topix.com/world/north-america/2010...
Yank Oliver

Espanola, Canada

#5 Feb 14, 2010
meg wrote:
<quoted text>
buncha cheating beady-eyed canadian bastards!!
You trying for gold in bitching?
Phillip Slade Australia

Fairfield, Australia

#6 Feb 15, 2010
The world frowns on Canada, as an Australian we are not that passionate about the winter games however the level of Cheating by the Canadians only serves to take the shine off any gold they may win. as an athlete myself, I am always hoping that my opponents are at their peak so that when I challenge them I know that I am up against the best. pity the Canadians cannot say the same
Yank Oliver

Espanola, Canada

#7 Feb 15, 2010
Phillip Slade Australia wrote:
The world frowns on Canada, as an Australian we are not that passionate about the winter games however the level of Cheating by the Canadians only serves to take the shine off any gold they may win. as an athlete myself, I am always hoping that my opponents are at their peak so that when I challenge them I know that I am up against the best. pity the Canadians cannot say the same
You say the Canadians cheat. If so where are all their metals in the luge?

The next time you host the Olympics for example would you say yes to every country who wnated to try out your track a few hundred times?

If it's so dangerous why were no Canadians hurt in the hundreds of pratice runs? There had to be a first run, why wasn't the first man down killed?

I know summer sports are of a gentel nature so it's hard for you to understand the more robust winter sports.
meg

Overland Park, KS

#8 Feb 15, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
You trying for gold in bitching?
sure, if it's a fair contest. i'd atleast give my opponent the same amount of practice on insults and bitching as i got, just so i'd know that i actually was the very best when i beat them....and not just try to win by default. but, i suppose canadians wouldn't know anything about that.
Yank Oliver

Espanola, Canada

#9 Feb 15, 2010
meg wrote:
<quoted text>
sure, if it's a fair contest. i'd atleast give my opponent the same amount of practice on insults and bitching as i got, just so i'd know that i actually was the very best when i beat them....and not just try to win by default. but, i suppose canadians wouldn't know anything about that.
Read it and weep.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/olymp...
meg

Overland Park, KS

#10 Feb 15, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it and weep.
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/olymp...
i, in no way, think that canadians or the track are to blame for his death. i feel that it was lack of experience on his part. but, why don't they have padding on those columns?? seems that would be an obvious precaution to take. anyways...i'm merely stating that it's unfair that the officials are refusing to allow other countries as much practice time as canada gets. i see that as cheating. that's the only point i was trying to make.
Yank Oliver

Espanola, Canada

#11 Feb 15, 2010
meg wrote:
<quoted text>
i, in no way, think that canadians or the track are to blame for his death. i feel that it was lack of experience on his part. but, why don't they have padding on those columns?? seems that would be an obvious precaution to take. anyways...i'm merely stating that it's unfair that the officials are refusing to allow other countries as much practice time as canada gets. i see that as cheating. that's the only point i was trying to make.
The only cheating that was done was by the countries with inferior athalets who insisted that the mens starting point be lowered to the womans starting point. As for padding on the steel columns I don't think that would have saved anyone ( did you see the video of the accident/) Anyway hindsight is 20/20.
Jack

Regina, Canada

#12 Feb 15, 2010
There is no rule saying the Canadians can't allow more practice time for their, so I don't get how people think they're cheating. Its not the Canadians fault someone died, it was an unfortunate accident.
Innes

UK

#13 Feb 20, 2010
"If it's so dangerous why were no Canadians hurt in the hundreds of pratice runs? There had to be a first run, why wasn't the first man down killed?"

Lol, I dont think the sport quite works like that. I imagine, as its true with many other sports, that the competitors need lots of practise runs to build themselves slowly to their fastest possible times. They dont throw themselves down at full possible speed on their first run! The more practise runs you get, the more you can get to know the track more intamitely, and therefore can build themselves safely to their fastest possible time.

I'm no expert on the sport by any means, and I dont know the full ins and outs of the incident involving the Georgian competitor. However the question has to be asked as to whether he was killed due to not being given the same access to practise runs as the Canadian competitors, on what has been described as the fastest and most dangerous sled tracks in the world.
Innes

UK

#14 Feb 20, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
You say the Canadians cheat. If so where are all their metals in the luge?
The next time you host the Olympics for example would you say yes to every country who wnated to try out your track a few hundred times?
If it's so dangerous why were no Canadians hurt in the hundreds of pratice runs? There had to be a first run, why wasn't the first man down killed?
I know summer sports are of a gentel nature so it's hard for you to understand the more robust winter sports.
Lol, I dont think the sport quite works like that Yank Oliver. I imagine, as its true with many other sports, that the competitors need lots of practise runs to build themselves slowly to their fastest possible times. They dont throw themselves down at full possible speed on their first run! The more practise runs you get, the more you can get to know the track more intamitely, and therefore can build themselves slowly and safely to their fastest possible time.
I'm no expert on the sport by any means, and I dont know the full ins and outs of the terrible accident involving the Georgian competitor. However the question has to be asked as to whether he was killed due to not being given the same access to practise runs as the Canadian competitors, on what has been described as the fastest and most dangerous sled tracks in the world?
Innes

UK

#15 Feb 20, 2010
A bit disappointed with the Canadians with their handling and attitude towards sled track and other events. Lived and worked in whistler 3 years ago, and can’t think of a better place to stage an Olympics. Have been cheering on Canadian competitors and was really happy for them when they got that first gold on home soil. However I have been surprised and disappointed to see Canada trying to get medals at any cost, even if it means damaging their reputation. Limiting other nations practise runs on the sled track and at other events has been very questionable. Furthermore the complaint by the Canadian team in the skeleton over Amy Williams helmet, when the same complaint by the US team had already been overruled, smacks of desperation and highlights the lengths they will go to reserve the podium for Canadians. It was good to see Amy Williams go on to win the gold, regardless of these constraints.
Yank Oliver

Sudbury, Canada

#16 Feb 20, 2010
Innes wrote:
A bit disappointed with the Canadians with their handling and attitude towards sled track and other events. Lived and worked in whistler 3 years ago, and can’t think of a better place to stage an Olympics. Have been cheering on Canadian competitors and was really happy for them when they got that first gold on home soil. However I have been surprised and disappointed to see Canada trying to get medals at any cost, even if it means damaging their reputation. Limiting other nations practise runs on the sled track and at other events has been very questionable. Furthermore the complaint by the Canadian team in the skeleton over Amy Williams helmet, when the same complaint by the US team had already been overruled, smacks of desperation and highlights the lengths they will go to reserve the podium for Canadians. It was good to see Amy Williams go on to win the gold, regardless of these constraints.
Who cares what you say, Limey Bastard.
Yank Oliver

Sudbury, Canada

#17 Feb 20, 2010
Innes wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, I dont think the sport quite works like that Yank Oliver. I imagine, as its true with many other sports, that the competitors need lots of practise runs to build themselves slowly to their fastest possible times. They dont throw themselves down at full possible speed on their first run! The more practise runs you get, the more you can get to know the track more intamitely, and therefore can build themselves slowly and safely to their fastest possible time.
I'm no expert on the sport by any means, and I dont know the full ins and outs of the terrible accident involving the Georgian competitor. However the question has to be asked as to whether he was killed due to not being given the same access to practise runs as the Canadian competitors, on what has been described as the fastest and most dangerous sled tracks in the world?
Read it and weep Asshat!http://msn.foxsports.co m/olympics/story/olympic-luge- probe-completed-021310
Yank Oliver

Sudbury, Canada

#18 Feb 20, 2010
Innes

UK

#19 Feb 20, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what you say, Limey Bastard.
lol, I hope the Canadian organising committee doesn't have a simmilar argument! A very considered and thoughtfull response there Yank Oliver - I will have to reconsider my previous statement!
Yank Oliver

Sudbury, Canada

#20 Feb 20, 2010
Innes wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, I hope the Canadian organising committee doesn't have a simmilar argument! A very considered and thoughtfull response there Yank Oliver - I will have to reconsider my previous statement!
When you call an intire nation cheaters you can expect to be called assholes. The Georgian incident was investigated and was found to be humane error. People have been using this track for a long time and there have been no fatals, one guy screws up and an intire nation are branded cheats. Well I would have to say that the people who did the investigation have a lot more knowladge of the sport than you or i, including the rest of the armchair quaterbacks in here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sikh religion viewed unfavorably in B.C. (May '09) 2 hr HinduChowChow 11,033
do you need a loan 4 hr mr johnson 1
looking for grandview/galt training school for ... (Oct '08) 8 hr Lee McKay 182
On second thought: Why Canada is long overdue f... 9 hr yes 2
Assisted suicide: Canadian Medical Association ... 19 hr Jan Forrest 2
Diplomatica: Turkey needs assistance from allie... 21 hr sam 1
Canada faces new Cold War in Europe and hot war... 21 hr sam 1
More from around the web