Howard unseated in Australian vote

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Conservative Prime Minister John Howard, one of the Bush administration's staunchest allies, suffered a humiliating election defeat yesterday at the hands of an opposition leader who has vowed to pull troops ...
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Nov 25, 2007
FedUpWithBUSH

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Hopefully we will have the same result here in the U.S.

It seems that all Bush's "major" allies are getting bounced at the polls and their troops are pulling out leaving us holding the bag. Not that we haven't been holding the bag anyway. The Bush and Cheney "coalition of the willing" was a joke from the start.

Bush's unpopularity world-wide just underscores how the ~30% of Americans who still view him as a "great" leader are just deluded, arrogant, close-minded morons.
Anthony_Australi a

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Nice to see that this room has been hijacked by the typical anti bush dogma. I am not a big fan of Bush I think he is an idiot who knows little about the issues he speaks about (notably stem cell research and others) but in contrast I feel a great travesty has just occurred here in Australia. John Howard and his government have done a fantastic job over the past eleven years.
When they came into government back in '96, our country had massive debt, high unemployment and soaring interest rates well over 10 per cent, our economy overall was in tatters. All these problems were caused by the VERY government that Australia has now elected to power. This same government has always had a terrible record on economic management and corrupt or questionable managment of issues. The Howard government (your supposed Bush ally) had paid off all this debt, brought down unemployment to a record low level and maintained things this way despite major and unforseen issues like changes in the world economy, global increases in the cost of oil and major drought that has plagued our farming industry for more than seven years.
Callous, uneducated people who want to insult our outgoing leader should learn a bit more about our country rather than just pull out the anti-bush dogma.
NOTE, our election was fought purely on industrial relations...nothing else!
truth

Windsor Mill, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Too bad Anthony from Australia, you and the American neocons lost. What's Bush's favorability rating in Australia?
Jeff Cameron

Marion, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

How about Howard to Bush, you can imprison Bush in the Western Australia and for I all care, torture him day and night until his bloody life ends.

“ "THE CRUSADER"”

Since: Jan 07

AUSTRALIA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Anthony_Australia wrote:
Nice to see that this room has been hijacked by the typical anti bush dogma. I am not a big fan of Bush I think he is an idiot who knows little about the issues he speaks about (notably stem cell research and others) but in contrast I feel a great travesty has just occurred here in Australia. John Howard and his government have done a fantastic job over the past eleven years.
When they came into government back in '96, our country had massive debt, high unemployment and soaring interest rates well over 10 per cent, our economy overall was in tatters. All these problems were caused by the VERY government that Australia has now elected to power. This same government has always had a terrible record on economic management and corrupt or questionable managment of issues. The Howard government (your supposed Bush ally) had paid off all this debt, brought down unemployment to a record low level and maintained things this way despite major and unforseen issues like changes in the world economy, global increases in the cost of oil and major drought that has plagued our farming industry for more than seven years.
Callous, uneducated people who want to insult our outgoing leader should learn a bit more about our country rather than just pull out the anti-bush dogma.
NOTE, our election was fought purely on industrial relations...nothing else!
100%correct. Hell rudd has pulled out of an election promise he made to aboriginals ONE day after he got elected, ONE day. Howard, costello took this country from being riddled with debt to prosperity. While certain uneducated people will rant oh its the resource boom that done it etc. There was NO resource boom in 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001. Australians unfortunately suffer from tall poppy syndrome BIG TIME, so even when you talk common sense to them, the tall poppy syndrome factor rules. Where did all the billions of $s that we now spend on anything we choose come from if australia was in debt $96 billion when howard took control. The so called workchoices rebellion makes me laugh, just what amendments will labor do to workchoices, hardly anything. Ratifying kyoto, hell we are on target to meet what was proposed and we didnt even sign, are china or india, they didnt sign either, NO they just got worse. Alot of people that voted dont even know what its like to live with 17% interest rates, thanks to howard and costello they wont for sometime to come, until the money runs out and were borrowing again.

“ "THE CRUSADER"”

Since: Jan 07

AUSTRALIA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

truth wrote:
Too bad Anthony from Australia, you and the American neocons lost. What's Bush's favorability rating in Australia?
You get what you vote for fool. Hence why you got bush. Dragged your country into the bowels of earth, riddled with debt, and going into further debt at approx $billion an hour, NO health system, No welfare system, shagged education system, corrupt as hell political system, record homelessness, prime morgage collapse, etc etc. What we got voting for howard is NO, thats NO debt, BILLIONS in future funds, cash galore to spend, nearly full employment,$4000 given to every woman that has a child, childcare rebates, a tax system getting lower and lower, a defence force that actually can defend australia. And a country we can truly call the greatest on earth, all with only 23 million people. Let me guess you didnt vote for bush, or just plain didnt vote. Might be a good excuse to have compulsory voting eh!! instaed of moaning every chance you get eh !!!.
Dee

Blaxland, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Australia at the present time (figures courtesy of Andrew Bolt):

* Unemployment rate: 4.3 per cent
* Interest rate: 6.75 per cent
* Economic growth: 4.3 per cent
* Stock market: 6390 points
* Australian dollar: US87.5 cents
* Surplus 2007 Budget:$10.6 billion
* Growth in real net national disposable income per head over the past five years: 16 per cent
* Days lost in industrial strikes/action: Lowest since 1913
* National greenhouse gas emissions: 559 million tonnes (2005)

Let's revisit those figures after 10 years of ALP government.
s
Snoozer 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Rubbish, Australians voted for the future on Saturday.

Taking a leading role on climate change and renewable energy, industrial relations reform to ensure workers rights are protected, more investment in education and health.

These are the issues for Australians; a 53.2% two party preferred vote is a strong mandate for the new Labor Government.

Mr Howard did a good job, but this time had past.
Dee

Blaxland, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Snoozer 10 wrote:
Rubbish, Australians voted for the future on Saturday.
Taking a leading role on climate change and renewable energy, industrial relations reform to ensure workers rights are protected, more investment in education and health.
These are the issues for Australians; a 53.2% two party preferred vote is a strong mandate for the new Labor Government.
Mr Howard did a good job, but this time had past.
"Australians voted for the future on Saturday."

They think so, but the Rudd government will be no different to the previous ALP governments.

I hope I'm wrong, but I predict a slow decline in living standards, an increase in interfering laws telling people how to live their lives and what to think, and more union trouble.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••