LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Daniel, I have a Dob telescope with a ten inch apperiture. Iam trying to figure a way so that I can sit inside my house and stargaze from the scope via my computer or tv. I have a wireless security camera that I can affix to my eyepeice that easily tramits to my tv.
Heres the problem. I want to be able to control my scope by remote control, not to track the sky--but just to be able to point the scope in any direction. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

LEVI wrote:
<quoted text> Whatup man? Hey, maybe you can help me out on this problem I got? Remember I told you I had a Dob telescope. Well, I got these wireless security camera that I put on the scope, it works great, I can sit in my house and stargaze, lol. Heres the problem. I want to rig it someway so that I can remote control the scope to move up, down, and around, not to ' track ' the sky, just to be able to aim the scope. Any suggestions?
*(repeated and extended from your other thread, Levi)

I have no personal experience with the setup you are seeking. But if I had to do it myself the first solution that would occur to me would involve small simple servo electric motors. One for up & down. One for left & right.

Add pulleys & drive belts, or sprockets & chains.(light-duty versions of either would no doubt be obtainable). I'm confident that such components would be obtainable from electrical warehouses or electronics stores, or even from Salvage stores that on-sell surplus or bankrupted stock.

All you need then is a power source and switches. If you can get away with mains power it would be simplest, although a battery source might be easier for switch reversibility.

Either way, with a little drilling & bolting (together with wood laminate mounting plates) each motor could be attached to serve the axis of movement it's assigned to. Cable all back to a simple switch panel so you can remotely swivel the scope through its movements.

No doubt there are more sophisticated ready-made solutions available (at a price). What I've described is a bit 'agricultural' in its simplicity but should also be inexpensive yet reliable.:)

Motors out of a couple of (reversible) secondhand drills might suit. They would have the compactness and grunt. In fact you could leave the drills intact, bolt them in place where needed and instead of a drill, clamp a shaft in place that could accept sprockets or pulleys. Lay cabling out to where you sit.:)
LEVI wrote:
I like that idea alot, I have a couple of ole drills laying aabout, but do you think a motor that small would be strong enough? Both the scope and the base are heavy and it would take alot of powerful enough to do the job?
The cameras work great, as of now all I can do is point the scope and leave it in one direction, but it sure does look great on the tv screen.
Damn, I've had to post this twice, guess the wheter is screwing up the satillite signal? LOL
I'm fairly confident that the drills would have the power.

Firstly, ALL home handyman drills are GEARED. That slows the output speed, but adds power of course. That's another advantage of leaving the drills intact, so all gearing is kept in place.

Secondly, the drive belts or sprocket chains themselves offer more opportunity for low gearing ratios.

Imagine a driven pulley of (say) 18 inches diameter, driven by a drive-pulley of (say) 3/8 inches diameter. The mechanical advantage would be huge, albeit slow-moving. The driven pulley incidentally can be converted from a secondhand old-style kiddies bicycle wheel with tire removed.:)
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

I will look in my shop tomorrow, Im pretty sure I have everything there. I would like to use batteries instead of wires for the power source, but that wont be a problem.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Batteries might not deliver enough power, unless you're talking about rechargeable cordless drills. They're pretty cheap these days anyway. :)
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
Batteries might not deliver enough power, unless you're talking about rechargeable cordless drills. They're pretty cheap these days anyway.:)
Yeah, thats what I was talking about, I will just look in my shop and see, who knows, I got all kinds of junk out there, may even find a way to rig everything up to a car battery, think?
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Im not concerned about the sudden stop, start, or jerking, just as long as I can turn the base in a north, south, east, west, direction, and of course the scope up and down. I belive it will take more power for the base then the scope.
Hiello you ladyboys

Ampang, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

These dumb Anglos don't know the differece between a political forum and that of a tart's chat room.
Don't forget to wipe your arse after flushing the loo ladyboys....or is it the other way round?
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Hiello you ladyboys wrote:
These dumb Anglos don't know the differece between a political forum and that of a tart's chat room.
Don't forget to wipe your arse after flushing the loo ladyboys....or is it the other way round?
Funny, I was at the impression that this and any forum may be used as one pleases, nowhere does it say this is a political forum. This thread however is about telescope techknowledgy, nowhere does it invite or say anything about includeing third world mosquito trash to join in. So lil mosquito, fly back to your sewer infested malaysia, or is that malaria country?

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

LEVI wrote:
Im not concerned about the sudden stop, start, or jerking, just as long as I can turn the base in a north, south, east, west, direction, and of course the scope up and down. I belive it will take more power for the base then the scope.
At hardware stores you can pick up Melamine-coated HDF paneling for cupboard assembly. You could cut 2 giant "washers" out of that and insert in the base, melamine-to-melamine. That has remarkably low friction.:)
Hello you ladyboys

Ampang, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

LEVI wrote:
<quoted text> Funny, I was at the impression that this and any forum may be used as one pleases, nowhere does it say this is a political forum. This thread however is about telescope techknowledgy, nowhere does it invite or say anything about includeing third world mosquito trash to join in. So lil mosquito, fly back to your sewer infested malaysia, or is that malaria country?
Why don't you sign up for your own private chit-chats, you ignorant poofs!
A forum is an open screen for public discussions, not for me to reading you fcuking boring ladyboys discussing how to put your lego bricks together.
Hello you ladyboys

Ampang, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
At hardware stores you can pick up Melamine-coated HDF paneling for cupboard assembly. You could cut 2 giant "washers" out of that and insert in the base, melamine-to-melamine. That has remarkably low friction.:)
Buy some XS condoms while you're in the store.
Levi may use it for your arse.
<LOL>

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Hello you ladyboys wrote:
<quoted text>
<LOL>
You seem to be lost.

Go here:

http://www.topix.com/world/malaysia
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
A forum is an open screen for public discussions, not for me to reading you fcuking boring ladyboys discussing how to put your lego bricks together.
'Open screen for public discussions', you just said so yourself,'public', case close. Dont know what a ladyboy is, but Im pretty sure I got it figured out. Now, just think, what would you of been, if you had tried?
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont know if you are fimiliar with the base of a Dob but it consist of two round wooden platforms, one atop the other. Between them is a metal plate of the same size, under the plate is a small washer like deal consisting of several small ball barrings, this helps in the rotation.
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

I said the ball bearings were under the plate, they may be on top of it, I cant remember, guess I'll find out when I disassemble it, lol.
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

<quoted text>
<LOL>
Take a vacation and go to ' Club Dead'.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

LEVI wrote:
<quoted text> I dont know if you are fimiliar with the base of a Dob but it consist of two round wooden platforms, one atop the other. Between them is a metal plate of the same size, under the plate is a small washer like deal consisting of several small ball barrings, this helps in the rotation.
OK. So if that minimizes friction enough then all should be well. If not, then I know from my reading that amateur scope builders praise the melamine-on-melamine setup.:)
hahahhahha

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I agree 100%,, LOLOLOLOLOl, this two sound pathetic talking like two young school kids, as to show how creative and how well adapted they are; in reality they probably have all kinds of traumas and they feel the need to show that they are the alfa male.
LOLOLOL how pathetic.
Next thing he's going to ask ade to out on a date hahahahhaa.

Since: Jan 13

Greensborough, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be lost.
Go here:
http://www.topix.com/world/malaysia
Is 'Hello you ladyboys' Beady with a new name and proxy or is it just one of The Coconut?
LEVI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. So if that minimizes friction enough then all should be well. If not, then I know from my reading that amateur scope builders praise the melamine-on-melamine setup.:)
These are a thin layer of sheet metal, but with the ball bearings it turns fairly easily. All I need is to figure a way to move the 'top' base, the bottom is sationary. Just a belt, or chain driven mechanism should work for that. I would like to be able to control that movement from inside the house, thats the problem.

Sorry, didnt mean to insult your intelligence, of course the bottom base is stationary--you knew that, sorry, sometimes my brain plays dead. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••