Posted in the Australia Forum

Antonio

UK

#1 Feb 1, 2013
There accent is Hott!
slip

The Rocks, Australia

#2 Feb 1, 2013
A recent AFP news item reports that 665 million people lack toilets in India. That’s more than twice the size of the entire population of the US. In slum areas, where more than half of Mumbai lives, an average 81 people share a single toilet. In some places it rises to an eye-watering 273. Even the lowest average is still 58, according to local municipal authority figures. Unsurprisingly, it is still common to see people squatting by roads and railway tracks or along the coast, openly defecating in the city that drives India’s economy and where some of the world’s richest people live.

Commuters from Mumbai’s suburbs, and in other parts of the country, routinely see hundreds of people squatting besides the train tracks to relieve themselves. Many of them are women, who often cover their heads with their saris, thus making themselves ‘invisible’ to onlookers through the inverse logic that if I can’t see you (because my head and eyes are covered) you can’t see me. Such ‘invisible’ women are India’s open and only too visible shame. The humiliation and degradation does not – and ought not to – attach to those who perforce must do what they have to do without the dignity of privacy. The shame is ours that over 60 years after independence from foreign rule we continue to be a society in which more than half the total population has no recourse but to relieve themselves in the open, like animals.

Till we can draw a veil of privacy and dignity across the sight of Bharat Mata squatting to do her business, India will continue to broadcast a literally crap image of itself to the world and to ourselves, despite all the credit we lay claim to for our social and economic progress.

In the end it adds up, precisely, to a load of shit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melbourne ticket inspectors at it again 13 min Gfc 3
WAR India v Australia, who will win? (Jun '14) 13 min curry basher 10,418
Aussie Food 14 min Grassclipper 11
Bali Nine: Sydney concert announced 18 min Becky 43
What do boongs love the most? 23 min rodney 2
Newman gone - Abbot next 25 min rodney 2
Aboriginals should thank White Man 27 min Foo 33
Why should Australians fear from Muslims? (Dec '07) 1 hr attaboy 46,649
More from around the web