It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#108276 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>any private citizen is free to set up a stall and sell guns without requiring background checks as long as they don't get caught by the ATF or Authorities besides if any of those guns they are selling are still registered in the original owners name it comes & can be traced back on to the original owner if they didn't do the proper paperwork of transferring gun ownership besides I can tell you right now that a law abiding citizen is not going to buy a gun from some total stranger that has setup a stall or unknown street vender that cant produce a FFL and risk taking a chance of receiving a stolen gun or gun that might have been used in a homicide besides the only one that I know that would do that is the Criminals & Gangs especially in Chicago.
Yes a law abider would buy a gun from someone they didn't know, if their intent was to pass it on to someone that couldn't get one...and that makes them law abiders until they have a police record or have been charged and found guilty of a crime...Now the truth is that if they didn't buy from these private sellers, who are under no law(in most states) to do a background check they wouldn't be bothered setting up at gun shows but they do, en masse! In some states the law abiders get most of their guns this way.

This is from the horses mouth and if you disregard such information then it is because you wish to be and ostrich and not face facts. This gang member has nothing to lose, so is telling it like it is. Money is what even law abiding citizens are after, they don't care who has the gun, even when in this case the law abiding sellers knew that something was not right...they still sold them....

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22303972/ga...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#108277 May 27, 2013
crawfish wrote:
obama has overstepped his authority in so many ways, he is as close to a dictator as he can get without actually being one. But I'm sure his administration is trying to change the laws so he can become one, hence, the gun laws; just to mention a few.
If this had been a white president a call for impeachment would had already been heard in congress, but hey, gotta keep the blacks from rioting, right?
FDR was by far worse than Obama and Obama couldn't touch FDR on that.

October 12, 2012 3:05PM

No Matter How Hard He Tries, Obama Will Never Be as Bad as FDR

http://www.cato.org/blog/no-matter-how-hard-h...

Perth, Australia

#108278 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly.
I am glad you said most because the crime bosses were the ones who had the contacts and the wiles to make Prohibition a production line...and it boosted them into a new wave of crime and power because of the greed of the locals and their lack of respect for their neighbours for money. They virtually sold their country to the crims.

Perth, Australia

#108279 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>just lucky to be alive which his guy in Georgia wasn't that lucky.
April 12, 2012
Sheriff: Burglar stabbed homeowner to death
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/sheriff-...
Luck had nothing to do with it, my son assessed the risk as low and proceeded to restrain him with little effort...if he had have believed the risk too great to his person...he would have taken another course of action IE: leave the building call the cops and try to get as many details as he could...or wait till the guy left and follow him...his words not mine. The point he used his head, if this had been America that perp would be dead, he is living because we use our heads.

Perth, Australia

#108280 May 27, 2013
sillystring wrote:
alot of good suggestions here, only one problem, some of you seem to forget/ NO CRIMINAL IS GOING TO GO THROUGH BACKGROUND CHECKS OR BUY A GUN LEGALLY, THATS WHY THEY ARE CALLED 'CRIMINALS', GET IT?!
So how does he get it without the complicity of law abiding cits...we have already worked it out...but hey you are late to the party, catch up!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#108281 May 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Onyer NJ. Yes do I agree, government works better when the states take care of issues that are more relevant to their areas and just concentrate on international and federal matters.
OMG! I need to sit down, I feel light headed. I need a glass of water.:-)

BTW, we have our own Julian Assange of sorts. He spilled the beans on the Fast and Furious gun running program.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23288...
crawfish

United States

#108282 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>FDR was by far worse than Obama and Obama couldn't touch FDR on that.
October 12, 2012 3:05PM
No Matter How Hard He Tries, Obama Will Never Be as Bad as FDR
http://www.cato.org/blog/no-matter-how-hard-h...
Interesting reading. Why can't our politicans learn from history? Is it, perhaps, they dont know our history?
Still, obama is trying his best to sit himself up as a king or dictator ( in my opinion), he proved that to me when he had the reporters investigated, and again when he had (can't recall his name) someone to investigate their own department. Of course the guy is not going to find no wrong doings, hell, he's investigateing himself. A non bias group should of been set up to investigate.

Perth, Australia

#108283 May 27, 2013
Sir Bucking fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, how can that be?
You've said several times in the past that you're a dyed-in-the-wool lesbian, that you HATE men with a passion, and that all men should all be summarily killed.
Yet now you're saying that you're married with a son?
Did you think that we'd forget your remarks so soon?
Who says Lesbians can't have kids, you Tommy tit? I have absolutely no problem with homosexuals, and most of you so called men don't mind a little girl on girl action to get yourselves aroused, you tend to be a little skiddish with a little boy on boy action though. WHY is this so? Could it simply be fear it might be catching which says a hell of a lot more about you, than I care to delve into.

Perth, Australia

#108285 May 27, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you upside the noggin like a cold side of beef!
Says the UK troll who has as much credibility as a fairy.

Perth, Australia

#108287 May 27, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds mighty suspicious! It comes off sounding as though they got married just to get pregnant, and then depart with the kid leaving daddy holding the bill.
Or maybe like a lot of gay men that were once married and had kids, through pressure to conform to the so called norm, and then realised that they didn't want to live a life of lies any longer once they were strong enough to make that decision for themselves!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#108288 May 27, 2013
crawfish wrote:
<quoted text> Interesting reading. Why can't our politicans learn from history? Is it, perhaps, they dont know our history?
Still, obama is trying his best to sit himself up as a king or dictator ( in my opinion), he proved that to me when he had the reporters investigated, and again when he had (can't recall his name) someone to investigate their own department. Of course the guy is not going to find no wrong doings, hell, he's investigateing himself. A non bias group should of been set up to investigate.
Here's another one. The politicians know what they're doing. They like that power. It's the people that don't know history.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCat...

Perth, Australia

#108289 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>all I know is everybody was shocked when it happened but about 8 years this woman I know her husband came home one day and said he wanted a divorce because he was gay now he said and had been married for over 20 years and had 2 grown kids which no body could believe that either after being that married that long and suddenly decide your gay and leaving your wife for another man.
Societies lack of acceptance forces those who are gay to hide or suppress their natural tendencies, they may not wish to hurt others by their admissions or they are too scared of their fathers and rejection of their friends (mostly male ones) that would judge them too harshly and deny them?
crawfish

United States

#108290 May 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says Lesbians can't have kids, you Tommy tit? I have absolutely no problem with homosexuals, and most of you so called men don't mind a little girl on girl action to get yourselves aroused, you tend to be a little skiddish with a little boy on boy action though. WHY is this so? Could it simply be fear it might be catching which says a hell of a lot more about you, than I care to delve into.
I have never understood that either. If a guy is secure about his sexuality then why feel threatened? In my line of work I'am around a lot of gays. I don't feel threatened. I'm not sexually turned on by them. they are ppl with different sexual orientation, thats all. They work, play, cry, hurt, just like any person on this planet.

Perth, Australia

#108291 May 27, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG! I need to sit down, I feel light headed. I need a glass of water.:-)
BTW, we have our own Julian Assange of sorts. He spilled the beans on the Fast and Furious gun running program.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23288...
Are the yanks going to hang him for outing the feds if they get their hands on him as well?:)

Perth, Australia

#108292 May 27, 2013
crawfish wrote:
<quoted text> I have never understood that either. If a guy is secure about his sexuality then why feel threatened? In my line of work I'am around a lot of gays. I don't feel threatened. I'm not sexually turned on by them. they are ppl with different sexual orientation, thats all. They work, play, cry, hurt, just like any person on this planet.
Well said.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#108293 May 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad you said most because the crime bosses were the ones who had the contacts and the wiles to make Prohibition a production line...and it boosted them into a new wave of crime and power because of the greed of the locals and their lack of respect for their neighbours for money. They virtually sold their country to the crims.
Right, the same thing can said about modern day Chicago too with the Hand Gun Ban enacted 30 years ago which boosted the gangs in Chicago into a new wave of Crime and Power which is seen today because there was no threat from the law abiding citizens in Chicago until now and just think if US Federal Government ever banned guns like they did alcohol the same thing would happen here again in the US and it would be like Prohibition all over again but worse and criminal activity would be off the charts compared to now.
crawfish

United States

#108294 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Right, the same thing can said about modern day Chicago too with the Hand Gun Ban enacted 30 years ago which boosted the gangs in Chicago into a new wave of Crime and Power which is seen today because there was no threat from the law abiding citizens in Chicago until now and just think if US Federal Government ever banned guns like they did alcohol the same thing would happen here again in the US and it would be like Prohibition all over again but worse and criminal activity would be off the charts compared to now.
LOL, I wish my great grandfather was alive so he could get on here and tell you all the stories about when he ran moonshine.
Mike

Carlingford, Australia

#108295 May 27, 2013
Yeah they're bloody stupid with their gun laws.

Overpopulation, weapons and pollution are some of the major issues of the next few decades.

Some real solid action on all three all around the world would be nice.
GoGoBar

Bangkok, Thailand

#108296 May 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Right, the same thing can said about modern day Chicago too with the Hand Gun Ban enacted 30 years ago which boosted the gangs in Chicago into a new wave of Crime and Power which is seen today because there was no threat from the law abiding citizens in Chicago until now and just think if US Federal Government ever banned guns like they did alcohol the same thing would happen here again in the US and it would be like Prohibition all over again but worse and criminal activity would be off the charts compared to now.
I dont recall any armed Citizens out combatting those Criminals with machine guns during prohibition?
In fact the Feds had to ban machine guns and a gay bloke had to start the FBI. Then this Gay Guy virtually ran the United States until he died of natural causes.
Mighty queer stuff.
GoGoBar

Bangkok, Thailand

#108297 May 27, 2013
Mike wrote:
Yeah they're bloody stupid with their gun laws.
Overpopulation, weapons and pollution are some of the major issues of the next few decades.
Some real solid action on all three all around the world would be nice.
Perhaps Homosexuality could be promoted along with a one child policy.

The only ones taking ioverpopulation seriously are the Chinese.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Exploit of Society in Religious Interest - GodB... 1 hr bretthutton 1
News Fight for ISIS, lose your citizenship, says Aus... 4 hr Thddeus lovelock 2
News Hanson: halal a 'money-making racket' 11 hr Porkman 4
I found an indian living in my garbage bin Thu ddarknight 3
Elocution lessons for indians by Taj smelly Thu Rauf lala 2
Why are white people so beautiful ? (Nov '13) Thu ddarknight 27
Dont u think? prankers have crossed thier limits ! Thu ddarknight 1
Sally Field, actress getting married at age 68 May 14 donnalee1966 45
More from around the web