It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments
98,501 - 98,520 of 103,242 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

gunismybuddy wrote:
<quoted text> you are old australian pansy that talks a load of shit
And unlike you troll...am bloody good at it.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> He he he. Is that why you are on here obsessing about the U.S.? Seams you have a lot of time on your hands to be reading and posting about a country you care nothing about. Do we keep you up at night? Do you spend large amounts of time trying to find a weak spot to attack? Your envy green is screaming right now. If you post here again it only proves it.
Envy, no, disgust, plenty. You make yourself look sillier with self flattery.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

It's the Bombs, Stupid.

Since: Mar 11

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Ahomana wrote:
has anyone noticed the Americans are now saying that Syria has used small amounts of WMDS and the UN is calling them on it...sound familiar...be careful America...your government is entering an arena you have been in before and that hasn't turned out too well for you...your people are broke...can you afford to instigate another war with a third world country that is gonna kick your arse?
Australia should take all this with a pinch of salt the evidence is suspect at best....here we go again.
Yes I have noticed. Reminding Obama that he said if they started using chemical weapons he was going to stop it.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Fa-Foxy wrote:
It's the Bombs, Stupid.
It's the drugs, legal or otherwise in your case.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text> Yes they would. back in the 70s and 60s it was the switchblade knife that was blamed. Everyone claimed if they were banned it would stop gang killings. It didn't it just moved them on to bigger and better weapons.
A: did America ban the switch blade knife? or did the gangs find out it is a lot easier doing a drive by with a gun?
If they can't get guns then they will move to bombs, ect. ect. The killers of today are starting to move from guns to bombs and chemical weapons. It's just a matter of time before guns become obsolete. With these new weapons they can kill from miles even states or countries away.
A: Then if you believe that wouldn't it be in your best interest to educate people on the danger of guns from a young age, introduce legislature for gun control and give harsher penalties to prevent the violence escalating...Ie any kid caught with a weapon is interred on their first offence?
The chance of being caught is minimal. I keep saying the most powerful weapon in the world is the human brain. Your point of bare hands implies the killers would have to be on even ground with their victim. Being as they have guns, knives, ect. ect and no real way of removing modern weapons would it not be prudent to arm the victim so once again the even ground would exist?
A: no that is not practical...all that does is say I have a gun to so the others get bigger ones...and on and on...There should be a show of united force by state and federal governments in which they stand with each other to purge themselves of this mentality by introducing tough laws across the board and education etc.
Removing weapons from the the innocent victims tilts the scales in favor of the criminal, in doing so it simply encourages the criminal activity.
A: if you start by removing the excess of guns in your country and then move to implement laws by which those who need guns for their own protection and so on...you phase it out it is not a now you see them now you don't attitude...we have guns for those who need them and some who wish them for the personal use...but they are not encouraged or supported to use them against home invaders as the be all and end all...they must use equal force and nothing more else the law abider will find himself facing a trial for manslaughter or murder...that does not give the law abider the right to kill first and ask questions later...it makes them responsible for their behavior...as it should be.
I own guns. I carry a gun. I have absolutely no urge to use them to kill anyone. It is not my preferred answer to violence but it is the realistic one. Speaking from experience. On more than one occasion a gun has saved my life. You find a way to control the animals in society and I will gladly be the first to melt mine into paperweights. As a law abiding citizen I see no reason to offer an equal fight to a criminal. I never asked to be attacked nor invited one. I owe a criminal nothing including mercy. No one has the right to shoot first and ask questions later however no one should have to endure an unprovoked attack for the sake of not harming a criminal. I don't have all the answers but I do know I am alive today because I take an active roll in defending myself from those who would do me harm.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Larry wrote:
<quoted text> Four degrees aye well lets hear them.. Make them good ones ; ) would you conceede to the fact that you dont know everything, or is that only people that have a different opinion to you? How old are you since we are onto making claims of age?
They are none of your business. I have admitted on many occasions I don't know everything but the things I do know are positive and from real life experience not something i was told or fed to me by someone else who has no idea of what they are talking about. As for my age let's just say I have fewer years ahead of me than behind me by a pretty good margin.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet no one has ever accused you of being the brightest bulb in the chandelier ...
Actually, yes they have. I burn as bright as the Sun next to you.
Becky

Nanjing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I own guns. I carry a gun. I have absolutely no urge to use them to kill anyone. It is not my preferred answer to violence but it is the realistic one. Speaking from experience. On more than one occasion a gun has saved my life. You find a way to control the animals in society and I will gladly be the first to melt mine into paperweights. As a law abiding citizen I see no reason to offer an equal fight to a criminal. I never asked to be attacked nor invited one. I owe a criminal nothing including mercy. No one has the right to shoot first and ask questions later however no one should have to endure an unprovoked attack for the sake of not harming a criminal. I don't have all the answers but I do know I am alive today because I take an active roll in defending myself from those who would do me harm.
What kind of hell on earth do you live in that you are in constant fear for your life?
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

sid wrote:
<quoted text>
Envy, no, disgust, plenty. You make yourself look sillier with self flattery.
Yet here you are again spending your valuable time obsessing over us. Hee hee hee. It pretty much proves my point. Self flatter is great when you can back it up. You on the otherhand have that great view of us from the bottom. Get use to it.
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of hell on earth do you live in that you are in constant fear for your life?
But it is heaven for the top 10%.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I have noticed. Reminding Obama that he said if they started using chemical weapons he was going to stop it.
Oh and guess what....that is just what they are saying he did...how fortuitous is that?
Becky

Nanjing, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Yet here you are again spending your valuable time obsessing over us. Hee hee hee. It pretty much proves my point. Self flatter is great when you can back it up. You on the otherhand have that great view of us from the bottom. Get use to it.
Hang on, your'e the one lurking around in the Australian forum, taking potshots at an Aussie using it.

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I own guns. I carry a gun. I have absolutely no urge to use them to kill anyone. It is not my preferred answer to violence but it is the realistic one. Speaking from experience. On more than one occasion a gun has saved my life. You find a way to control the animals in society and I will gladly be the first to melt mine into paperweights. As a law abiding citizen I see no reason to offer an equal fight to a criminal. I never asked to be attacked nor invited one. I owe a criminal nothing including mercy. No one has the right to shoot first and ask questions later however no one should have to endure an unprovoked attack for the sake of not harming a criminal. I don't have all the answers but I do know I am alive today because I take an active roll in defending myself from those who would do me harm.
You are not understanding Tray the government has clearly said they are not removing your guns used to protect yourself and you like the others can't seem to get that through your thick skulls and stay on the same point...if the government doesn't take the weapons you use for protection or sport shooting or hunting what have you got against removing all the other ones that are not useful or required anywhere but the hands of a sniper or war zone...it makes no sense..are you yanks really that paranoid...you would have to be a fool to say one thing and then do another especially with gun control and especially in America...there would be a riot...and no government wants that...so what is the reason looking at it logically?
Larry

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> They are none of your business. I have admitted on many occasions I don't know everything but the things I do know are positive and from real life experience not something i was told or fed to me by someone else who has no idea of what they are talking about. As for my age let's just say I have fewer years ahead of me than behind me by a pretty good margin.

I ll take that to mean you don't have four degrees and you are just a gun nut talking yourself up. I m open about my age range and education.. Science degree with a major in psychology and I was born in the eighties. I dont go round telling people that, but since you insulted me with some of your opinions of my intelligence I thought I would share some personal facts with you Tray. You come across so well yourself, I don't even need to make an insult lol.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Not fear. Being realistic and prepared. I have car insurance and wear a seat belt but do not fear a crash daily but realize they do happen often enough that my odds of being in one is high. I have a fire extinguisher in my home, not from daily fear but a prudent precaution. What kind of hell on earth does an unarmed defenseless victim feel when they find their life in danger from a criminal and no options except plead for their life on their knees?
Larry

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
good call Becky.. I dont think I ve ever felt like that in Aistralia..
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang on, your'e the one lurking around in the Australian forum, taking potshots at an Aussie using it.
Hmm that's odd, the header on my page says "guns forum". As far as pot shots I am simply replying to them. Check your facts as to who made the first cheap shot. We will let you slide this time but at least know your facts first before putting your foot in your mouth next time.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Yet here you are again spending your valuable time obsessing over us. Hee hee hee. It pretty much proves my point. Self flatter is great when you can back it up. You on the otherhand have that great view of us from the bottom. Get use to it.
Careful you are exposing your excessive compulsiveness.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not understanding Tray the government has clearly said they are not removing your guns used to protect yourself and you like the others can't seem to get that through your thick skulls and stay on the same point...if the government doesn't take the weapons you use for protection or sport shooting or hunting what have you got against removing all the other ones that are not useful or required anywhere but the hands of a sniper or war zone...it makes no sense..are you yanks really that paranoid...you would have to be a fool to say one thing and then do another especially with gun control and especially in America...there would be a riot...and no government wants that...so what is the reason looking at it logically?
Have you ever been in a life or death situation where you had to depend on yourself for your life? Get back to me after that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

127 Users are viewing the Australia Forum right now

Search the Australia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
White must breed or were gone 4 min Doris McMorris 4
age of consent needs to be 8 for us abos 6 min Doris McMorris 26
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Uk... 11 min Avenger 774
From Aussie Bob,Queenslander,Mothman,white pride 12 min Aussie Bob 1
WAR India v Australia, who will win? 17 min Aussie Bob 1,914
Ebola outbreak in western Sydney 19 min Stan Dandyliver 2
Support Public Nudism 25 min Stan Dandyliver 2
Why should Australians fear from Muslims? (Dec '07) 1 hr The Little Things 43,988
Israel has put up with a lot. 1 hr Flynn_2615 124
Whites should have more kids 14 hr Aussie Dan 85
•••
•••