It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#104054 Apr 11, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
But, in a TRULY FREE country, no such thing as 'background checks' would EVERY exist.
Why not?(I hear you ask), well, if the only people who shouldn't have guns are incarcerated, then why should everyone else be put upon for the few who are incarcerated?
Take that a step further (backwards in time) to the beginning of your republic: Was there any such thing as 'background checks' in that time of your nation's founding?
No?
And why not?
Would not YOUR FOUNDERS have seen any such thing as a SUPREME VIOLATION of individual rights?
Is not a 'background check' the very essence of a TOTAL VIOLATION of YOUR CONSTITUTION'S FOURTH AND FIFTH AMENDMENTS?
Aren't YOU being treated as though YOU are some kind of violent criminal BEFORE THE FACT?
LOOK: IF YOU think it proper to submit to any such thing as a 'background check' in order to exercise ONE of YOUR RIGHTS, then WHY are YOU not DEMANDING background checks be conducted with JUST EVERY OTHER right, before those might be undertaken?
When YOU succumb to tyranny by degree, then one day —by degree— YOU SHALL BECOME TOTALLY ENSLAVED, through YOUR OWN acquiescence.
Are you listening to yourself....you want anarchy then go for it...I bet you wouldn't last a week with no laws to interfere with your rights...why should you pay a traffic ticket or stop at red lights when you are in a hurry, why can't you have a few drinks and drive home if you want there shouldn't be a cop to interfere with a mans right to have a beer....what about you kids, it they are being cheeky and someone feels they have the right to knock them into gear they should be able to....and your wife? if she wants to root the guy next door she can cause that is her right and who are you to stop her, and what about shooting dogs...a person sees a dog on the road and feels like shooting it he should have the right to do that ...or schools if kids decide they don't want to go to school they shouldn't have to, or if your daughter wants to swear at you when you upset her she should be able to etc, etc, etc....see if it is about rights, who's rights are we talking about here, yours? Right are not a right they are a privelage and an earned one...everyone has rights...not just those with guns.

Perth, Australia

#104055 Apr 11, 2013
<quoted text>
"(N)o one needs a gun..."
Does that apply to the police, and military as well?
Of course, if no one has a gun why would the cops need one...they wouldn't.

Perth, Australia

#104056 Apr 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Why were they ever sent 'in' to begin with?
How the hell could anyone be arrested for being totally 'mellowed-out' anyway?
Is that not akin to arresting people for having orgasms?
Oh great you are for drugs and guns...surprise, surprise.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#104057 Apr 11, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Forrest ... whatever you say :-/
Not what I say, it's what they said. Their words have been posted over and over to you. To be born an idiot is excusable but to be one by choice is not.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#104058 Apr 11, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A: NO it doesn't and I have explained why many times...still not getting the message though...
Stomp stomp stomp. Poor sick baby can't change facts. Maybe you need your diaper changed and a nap. You've been proven a liar more times than it's been proven the world is round. Ha ha ha.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

#104060 Apr 11, 2013
What you people are not realising is that your points of reference for sanity have shifted, if someone 20 years ago suggested having armed guards at schools he would have been thought insane, now you are thought insane if you don't support the idea. What was once insanity has now become normality and you are basing your thoughts on the insanity which is considered to be normality. Your reasoning is totally flawed and purely reactionary, as the gun madness escalates so does the insanity which in turn becomes the basis for more madness and so on.
Jon rambo

Kansas City, MO

#104061 Apr 11, 2013
sid wrote:
What you people are not realising is that your points of reference for sanity have shifted, if someone 20 years ago suggested having armed guards at schools he would have been thought insane, now you are thought insane if you don't support the idea. What was once insanity has now become normality and you are basing your thoughts on the insanity which is considered to be normality. Your reasoning is totally flawed and purely reactionary, as the gun madness escalates so does the insanity which in turn becomes the basis for more madness and so on.
what's insane is these people owning automatic guns without any good reason at all. Do you buy assault rifle to shoot ducks? come on!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#104062 Apr 11, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not too fussed about the federal judiciary knowing that I own a water pistol.
But I'm damned if I'm going to tell them about the silencer it's got fitted!:(
Nice! I'll have to get one for my Super Soaker.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#104063 Apr 11, 2013
sid wrote:
Actually, we did have armed guards in some schools 20 to 25 years ago. They're still there in high schools. They're called resource officers, police officers assigned to the school.

It was discovered the students developed a good rapport with the police.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104064 Apr 11, 2013
Jon rambo wrote:
<quoted text> what's insane is these people owning automatic guns without any good reason at all. Do you buy assault rifle to shoot ducks? come on!
The assault weapons purchased are semi-auto. Having said that, It's painfully obvious these people fall within two categories.

1. The Billy-bad-ass syndrome. They just can't feel like a man without one or spend their weekends working the pounds off their fat lazy asses, plinking tin cans under a Budweiser induced haze.

2. The habitually Paranoid. These model Americans are perpetually frightened of their neighbors, their government and or anyone who doesn't look like them.

** Some fall under both classifications.

All are in need of a triple dosage of Zoloft and if diagnosed properly, would be screened due to mental illness IF strong background checks could only be implemented upon a national level.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104065 Apr 11, 2013
<quoted text>
YOU are MY TOY.
Should YOU be 'taken away' in a permanent way?
Little man, we've had this particular discussion before...

I continue to be woefully unimpressed by your veiled, empty threats.

As I've so stated, you're welcome to attempt the folly... Anytime.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#104066 Apr 11, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
The assault weapons purchased are semi-auto. Having said that, It's painfully obvious these people fall within two categories.
1. The Billy-bad-ass syndrome. They just can't feel like a man without one or spend their weekends working the pounds off their fat lazy asses, plinking tin cans under a Budweiser induced haze.
2. The habitually Paranoid. These model Americans are perpetually frightened of their neighbors, their government and or anyone who doesn't look like them.
** Some fall under both classifications.
All are in need of a triple dosage of Zoloft and if diagnosed properly, would be screened due to mental illness IF strong background checks could only be implemented upon a national level.
Sieg Heil!

Classification? Which one do you fall under?
johan

Kaprun, Austria

#104067 Apr 11, 2013
Guns should be limited to the police force only, guns are not toys and should not be treated as one. There's too much things that could go wrong if it falls into the wrong hands. Without guns country won't fall into destruction, look at Canada, Australia, Germany. Why do you always assume the worst case scenario if your government bans guns? do you not trust them protecting you? What's the purpose of the Military and Police if you as a citizen do not feel safe? I thought American's military is the best in the world!?

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104068 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sieg Heil!
Like most Americans, my classification would be...

"Emotionally and psychologically stable" I love my family, my neighbors, my country and it's government. I WORK, I bathe regularly and don't spend undue time fretting over space invaders, plagues, asteroid impacts or our government.

Unlike the occasional Bipolar skank...

Like you.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#104069 Apr 11, 2013
johan wrote:
Guns should be limited to the police force only, guns are not toys and should not be treated as one. There's too much things that could go wrong if it falls into the wrong hands. Without guns country won't fall into destruction, look at Canada, Australia, Germany. Why do you always assume the worst case scenario if your government bans guns? do you not trust them protecting you? What's the purpose of the Military and Police if you as a citizen do not feel safe? I thought American's military is the best in the world!?
You contradict yourself severally.

Who are the police?

Are they not the people themselves?

Do YOU hire foreigners for the job in your country? No? Why not?

Well, since the police are hired from the citizenry at large, and the police swear an oath of office, which is really an oath to the people themselves (the people OWN their government, and NOT vice-versa), and since the police are public servants who WORK FOR THE PEOPLE, then the people are superior in every respect to the police themselves.

That being the case, it is BOTH the RIGHT, and the DUTY of the people to be at all times armed, so that when the police aren't around, the people will be able to effectively respond to whatever dangerous matter may happen to threaten them.

Your statement then, is simply nothing more or less than COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

Oh, and BTW: In the U.S., the U.S. Supreme Court, et al., have ruled several times that the police have no obligation to provide protection to anyone not in their direct custody, period.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#104070 Apr 11, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Like most Americans, my classification would be...
"Emotionally and psychologically stable" I love my family, my neighbors, my country and it's government. I WORK, I bathe regularly and don't spend undue time fretting over space invaders, plagues, asteroid impacts or our government.
Unlike the occasional Bipolar skank...
Like you.
Like most unstable, psychologically damaged people that call other people they don't know a bipolar shank, they think they're normal and tend to not self medicate.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#104071 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sieg Heil!
For him/her/it?
Under the heading of 'Complete, Total PECKERHEAD!'
:-))

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104073 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Like most unstable, psychologically damaged people that call other people they don't know a bipolar shank, they think they're normal and tend to not self medicate.
Ahh, have a hurt your little feelings?

I truly don't give a shit.

What I DO care about, are the innocent Men, Women and Children that are slaughtered everyday within this country because of paranoid, selfish little twerps... Such as yourself who, can't possibly be inconvenienced long enough to enact meaningful legislation to protect those that DO fall within the confines of "normality".

You're pitifully pathetic.

Get a job, get a life and take a bath.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104074 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You will see Gillard's replacement won't be much different. That would be the point at the federal level. You're right about journalists. They seem to be a major problem. There are only a few brave ones. There is a Fox news journalist right now being threatened with jail by a judge in Colorado for not revealing the source of her information that revealed the Colorado movie theater shooter was under psychiatric care.
In your last answer, it is easier to move a state government toward the will of the people. We were able to persuade the governor to pull out of a 10 state carbon tax scheme whereas nearly a million people demonstrating in Washington DC couldn't persuade the federal government to vote against Obamacare. Most states have public referendums, the federal government doesn't.
Stupid, incessant wingnuz blather never stops, Japan’s gun laws are very strict, you want a gun you take a yearly test to renew your license. The result is a small number of guns and almost no gun violence. Japan, a nation of 130 million, reports seven gun related murders last year. Treating gun ownership as a privilege rather than a “gawd given right” makes for a different mindset and leads to completely different results.
At least GOPers are consistent in their ignorance, when you have chosen to believe the horse manure produced by a certain NEWS agency which consistently makes false claims, promotes divisive behavior, bigotry and hatred, you will remain ignorant in your anger and self-imposed blindness.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104078 Apr 11, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are NOT Japan. And We The People have a Constitutionally SECURED right:
"The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall NOT be infringed."
Which thus makes ALL of your ignorant contention a MOOT point. To bad that you don't have the intelligence to understand that FACT.
NO Right is absolute.

Only someone of limited understanding and intellect can enjoy a perception of absolutes, absolutely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Julian Burnside: Border Force operation 'not wh... 3 hr The Anti-Muhammed 3
Poll Which black race is the stupidest? (Dec '14) 12 hr Xavier Gomez 9
Do white women really have sex with dogs? (Dec '12) 14 hr Emma 41
News Convertible apartment increases living space by... 18 hr Sydney Boy 1
Black People 18 hr Xavier Gomez 1
Why I hate Indians 19 hr WTF 4
Who are the most uncivilised countries in the w... (Jul '12) 19 hr IM Civilized 17
More from around the web