It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103326 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

johan

Kaprun, Austria

#104067 Apr 11, 2013
Guns should be limited to the police force only, guns are not toys and should not be treated as one. There's too much things that could go wrong if it falls into the wrong hands. Without guns country won't fall into destruction, look at Canada, Australia, Germany. Why do you always assume the worst case scenario if your government bans guns? do you not trust them protecting you? What's the purpose of the Military and Police if you as a citizen do not feel safe? I thought American's military is the best in the world!?

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#104068 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sieg Heil!
Classification? Which one do you fall under?
Like most Americans, my classification would be...

"Emotionally and psychologically stable" I love my family, my neighbors, my country and it's government. I WORK, I bathe regularly and don't spend undue time fretting over space invaders, plagues, asteroid impacts or our government.

Unlike the occasional Bipolar skank...

Like you.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#104069 Apr 11, 2013
johan wrote:
Guns should be limited to the police force only, guns are not toys and should not be treated as one. There's too much things that could go wrong if it falls into the wrong hands. Without guns country won't fall into destruction, look at Canada, Australia, Germany. Why do you always assume the worst case scenario if your government bans guns? do you not trust them protecting you? What's the purpose of the Military and Police if you as a citizen do not feel safe? I thought American's military is the best in the world!?
You contradict yourself severally.

Who are the police?

Are they not the people themselves?

Do YOU hire foreigners for the job in your country? No? Why not?

Well, since the police are hired from the citizenry at large, and the police swear an oath of office, which is really an oath to the people themselves (the people OWN their government, and NOT vice-versa), and since the police are public servants who WORK FOR THE PEOPLE, then the people are superior in every respect to the police themselves.

That being the case, it is BOTH the RIGHT, and the DUTY of the people to be at all times armed, so that when the police aren't around, the people will be able to effectively respond to whatever dangerous matter may happen to threaten them.

Your statement then, is simply nothing more or less than COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

Oh, and BTW: In the U.S., the U.S. Supreme Court, et al., have ruled several times that the police have no obligation to provide protection to anyone not in their direct custody, period.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#104070 Apr 11, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Like most Americans, my classification would be...
"Emotionally and psychologically stable" I love my family, my neighbors, my country and it's government. I WORK, I bathe regularly and don't spend undue time fretting over space invaders, plagues, asteroid impacts or our government.
Unlike the occasional Bipolar skank...
Like you.
Like most unstable, psychologically damaged people that call other people they don't know a bipolar shank, they think they're normal and tend to not self medicate.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#104071 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sieg Heil!
Classification? Which one do you fall under?
For him/her/it?
Under the heading of 'Complete, Total PECKERHEAD!'
:-))

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104073 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Like most unstable, psychologically damaged people that call other people they don't know a bipolar shank, they think they're normal and tend to not self medicate.
Ahh, have a hurt your little feelings?

I truly don't give a shit.

What I DO care about, are the innocent Men, Women and Children that are slaughtered everyday within this country because of paranoid, selfish little twerps... Such as yourself who, can't possibly be inconvenienced long enough to enact meaningful legislation to protect those that DO fall within the confines of "normality".

You're pitifully pathetic.

Get a job, get a life and take a bath.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104074 Apr 11, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You will see Gillard's replacement won't be much different. That would be the point at the federal level. You're right about journalists. They seem to be a major problem. There are only a few brave ones. There is a Fox news journalist right now being threatened with jail by a judge in Colorado for not revealing the source of her information that revealed the Colorado movie theater shooter was under psychiatric care.
In your last answer, it is easier to move a state government toward the will of the people. We were able to persuade the governor to pull out of a 10 state carbon tax scheme whereas nearly a million people demonstrating in Washington DC couldn't persuade the federal government to vote against Obamacare. Most states have public referendums, the federal government doesn't.
Stupid, incessant wingnuz blather never stops, Japan’s gun laws are very strict, you want a gun you take a yearly test to renew your license. The result is a small number of guns and almost no gun violence. Japan, a nation of 130 million, reports seven gun related murders last year. Treating gun ownership as a privilege rather than a “gawd given right” makes for a different mindset and leads to completely different results.
At least GOPers are consistent in their ignorance, when you have chosen to believe the horse manure produced by a certain NEWS agency which consistently makes false claims, promotes divisive behavior, bigotry and hatred, you will remain ignorant in your anger and self-imposed blindness.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104078 Apr 11, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are NOT Japan. And We The People have a Constitutionally SECURED right:
"The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall NOT be infringed."
Which thus makes ALL of your ignorant contention a MOOT point. To bad that you don't have the intelligence to understand that FACT.
NO Right is absolute.

Only someone of limited understanding and intellect can enjoy a perception of absolutes, absolutely.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104080 Apr 11, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, more like >you< are pathetically IGNORANT. The ACTUAL FACT is, that MORE GUNS in the hands of citizens = LESS CRIME.
"...As it is plain to see, crime rates started a dramatic rise after the 1968 Gun Control Act. During the years 1981-84 crime rates either leveled out or dropped. From 1985-91 the overall crime rate again rose sharply. During the year 1992 the crime rates again leveled. While in 1993 most crime rates had fallen. Which fails to explain the justification for the Unconstitutional “Brady Bill”.
"The 'Gun Control' laws that have been unconstitutionally passed have also had an effect on Firearm sales in the United States. According to National Shooting Sports Foundation,(NSSF), and FBI NICS records. Firearms sales have increased by 54.1% between 2002-2011*. Thus making the claim by John Lott in his book; “More Guns, Less Crime”, a statistical FACT...."
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/04/u...
Take a hike, you grossly ignorant dolt.
Keep opening that "often wrong" hole of your's, perhaps even you'll actually believe the horseshit that leaps out of it...

One day.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104083 Apr 11, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how that you ANTI-Freedom and Liberty freaks CANNOT refute the FACTS though, ISN'T IT? No, all you have is incessant DROOLING out of simplistic LIES.
Is that so?

The precious children who didn't come home from Sandy Hook elementary, had a reasonable expectation to their life as well. Funny how selfish, Blessed Bible nuts like yourself lose sight of that fact.

--And

How is it, fair community minded people like Spocko and myself who, want nothing but the safety of our children and our neighbor's preserved, labeled anti freedom and anti liberty?

No, what it comes down to with people like you is, you can't see the world beyond the ugly nose on your face. You're lazy, selfish and despite your sermons...

Morally bankrupt.
OwlZ

Astoria, NY

#104084 Apr 11, 2013
Fastercat wrote:
Guns cause mass killings in the same way
-90210 causes conspiracy theories!!!
Hey "FasterCat"
, That is the first time i have ever heard that quote!!!.. A++ on the reply!!!
I agree with ur stament also..
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104085 Apr 11, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are NOT Japan. And We The People have a Constitutionally SECURED right:
"The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall NOT be infringed."
Which thus makes ALL of your ignorant contention a MOOT point. To bad that you don't have the intelligence to understand that FACT.
For some infantile reason gun advocates think that the right to bear arms is the only constitutional right that is virtually written in stone and without limit. You have the right to practice your religion, but not if your religion involves human sacrifice. You have the right to free speech, but you can still be prosecuted for incitement or conspiracy, and you can be sued for libel. Every right is subject to limitation when it begins to threaten others, and the Supreme Court has affirmed that even though there is an individual right to gun ownership, the government can put reasonable restrictions on that right.

As we've all seen, if a shooter turns out to have a Muslim name, the NRA will be more than happy to give up all kinds of rights in the name of fighting terrorism. Have the government read my email? Have my cell phone company turn over my call records? Check which books I'm taking out of the library? Make me take my shoes off before getting on a plane, just because some idiot tried to blow up his sneakers? Sure, do what you've got to do. But don't make it harder to buy thousands of rounds of ammunition, because if we couldn't do that we'd no longer be free – what a crock!
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104087 Apr 11, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that so?
The precious children who didn't come home from Sandy Hook elementary, had a reasonable expectation to their life as well. Funny how selfish, Blessed Bible nuts like yourself lose sight of that fact.
--And
How is it, fair community minded people like Spocko and myself who, want nothing but the safety of our children and our neighbor's preserved, labeled anti freedom and anti liberty?
No, what it comes down to with people like you is, you can't see the world beyond the ugly nose on your face. You're lazy, selfish and despite your sermons...
Morally bankrupt.
This is how freaking insane Americans are about guns – they are on a buying binge.
Police departments are having a difficult time getting the necessary ammunition for officer’s handguns, shotguns and especially rifles. With the delay in ammunition, some departments are limiting the number of rounds they carry in their handgun because of the shortage of ammunition. We get to the point where it is difficult to have enough ammo to train and also equip the officers. Several police departments are getting desperate. Right now, a lot of smaller police departments have been forced to paying retail prices for ammunition, because they cannot get it through their suppliers.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104088 Apr 11, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
For some infantile reason gun advocates think that the right to bear arms is the only constitutional right that is virtually written in stone and without limit. You have the right to practice your religion, but not if your religion involves human sacrifice. You have the right to free speech, but you can still be prosecuted for incitement or conspiracy, and you can be sued for libel. Every right is subject to limitation when it begins to threaten others, and the Supreme Court has affirmed that even though there is an individual right to gun ownership, the government can put reasonable restrictions on that right.
As we've all seen, if a shooter turns out to have a Muslim name, the NRA will be more than happy to give up all kinds of rights in the name of fighting terrorism. Have the government read my email? Have my cell phone company turn over my call records? Check which books I'm taking out of the library? Make me take my shoes off before getting on a plane, just because some idiot tried to blow up his sneakers? Sure, do what you've got to do. But don't make it harder to buy thousands of rounds of ammunition, because if we couldn't do that we'd no longer be free – what a crock!
You got it.

NO Right is absolute.

They're IGNORANT to the epidemic of gun violence. SELFISH, for failing to recognize it for what it is and LAZY for refusing to do one damn thing to stop it.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#104089 Apr 11, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
This is how freaking insane Americans are about guns – they are on a buying binge.
Police departments are having a difficult time getting the necessary ammunition for officer’s handguns, shotguns and especially rifles. With the delay in ammunition, some departments are limiting the number of rounds they carry in their handgun because of the shortage of ammunition. We get to the point where it is difficult to have enough ammo to train and also equip the officers. Several police departments are getting desperate. Right now, a lot of smaller police departments have been forced to paying retail prices for ammunition, because they cannot get it through their suppliers.
It's not the people buying up ammo that is the problem. It is the 1.6 BILLION rounds of ammo that the DHS has ordered that is causing the shortage. People are simply buying up what little stock the stores have to put out on their shelves.

So tell me. What the hell does the DHS need with 1.6 BILLION rounds of ammunition and 2,700 specially equipped armored personnel carriers???

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#104094 Apr 11, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not the people buying up ammo that is the problem. It is the 1.6 BILLION rounds of ammo that the DHS has ordered that is causing the shortage. People are simply buying up what little stock the stores have to put out on their shelves.
So tell me. What the hell does the DHS need with 1.6 BILLION rounds of ammunition and 2,700 specially equipped armored personnel carriers???
Their job.

Do the rest of us a favor, take a Xanax... Perhaps 10.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#104095 Apr 11, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Their job.
Do the rest of us a favor, take a Xanax... Perhaps 10.
Not unless they plan on putting those APC's every 3/4 of a mile along the Mexico border, and shooting every illegal they see about 100 times.

Do the world a favor and take some cyanide capsule (you only need one). We need to clean up the gene pool.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104097 Apr 11, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
The historical results of 'gun control'
Every genocide in modern history has started with gun registration, followed by confiscation, followed by genocide.
1911: Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Christian Armenians rounded up and exterminated.
1929: The Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929-1953, 20+ million dissidents rounded up and murdered.
1935: China established gun control. From 1948-1952, 20+ million political dissidents rounded up and exterminated.
1938: Germany established gun control. From 1939-1945, 13 million Jews and others rounded up and exterminated.
1964: Guatemala established gun control. From 1981-1984, 100,000 Mayan Indians rounded up and exterminated.
1970: Uganda established gun control. From 1971-1979, 300,000 Christians rounded up and exterminated.
1956: Cambodia established gun control. From 1975-1977, 1 million educated people rounded up and exterminated.
In the 20th Century more than 56 million defenseless people were rounded up and exterminated by people using gun control.
You forgot one more important aspect of your freak-show, every genocide in modern history has started with a ham sandwich! Your logic says nothing and proofs nothing - ye moron!
Tray

Oxford, MS

#104098 Apr 11, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Your usual lie. There is no right to murder. Trying to link the two is a flat out lie. Yes the government infringes on your rights daily but it's up to you to protect your rights. In case you missed history 101 you are free because guns won your freedom from a dictator, just as they have for over 200 years around the world. DUH. What and idiot you are.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#104100 Apr 11, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot one more important aspect of your freak-show, every genocide in modern history has started with a ham sandwich! Your logic says nothing and proofs nothing - ye moron!
Then dispute those facts with facts. Opps I forgot you are an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How a sex worker helps my wife and I maintain g... Sat Whack Nice Chubbies 2
News Why Japan lost Aussie sub bid Apr 29 Mfffk2 1
News Exclusive Pictures: Miley Cyrus and Elsa Pataky... Apr 28 Billy Moore 1
News 'Black women are ugly' (May '11) Apr 28 Amber2001 273
Bhadreshkumar wanted by the FBI Apr 27 Helen 1
looking for wife from australia i am 32 from e... (Dec '08) Apr 27 Helen 33
News New mosque plan for Narre Warren green wedge at... Apr 27 TEXAN _ PATRIOT 9
More from around the web