It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments
90,181 - 90,200 of 103,228 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2014

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
An M1 Abrams Main Battle tank has the same "basic" form as a Caterpillar D6 Bulldozer.
Other than they are both track driven...no they don't.
Madlaw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Be careful people and pay attention to what is being said.They keep saying the 2nd Amendment is the right to bear arms and to live off the land.The 2nd Amendment wasn't for hunting food! It was during a time in which we could fight off a backlash of the Government and protect ourselves.Yes it is sad that we have had mass murders,but these things will happen with whatever weapon these people can find,swords,knives,bombs,chemi cals,cars,etc.
Slowly our rights are fading.We have lost the pledge of allegiance in schools,the American flag in schools,Gods name can only be used in various places.Think about it! If you look at the generation that is killing people,it's the generation that we took paddling out of school,Don't spank kids it's child abuse,Kids quit playing outside and started playing video games that aim at killing opponents.
How many kids do you see riding bikes,playing ball? How many kids are outside?less than half of what their use to be.So they want to know what to do? Stop telling us how to raise kids and concentrate on political problems.Don't blame my gun for your mistakes! Government wanted to step in and raise our kids,well guess what you failed.Go back to Washington and we will go back to raising our children and correcting them how we see fit,whether it's a paddle or belt or a pat on the back for a job well done.
Dr Freud

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

jaes wrote:
So the ship mechanic fires Tomahawk cruise missiles. What dose he need a 12ga 45cal and M14 for.
REPELL INVADERS!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

jaes wrote:
So the ship mechanic fires Tomahawk cruise missiles. What dose he need a 12ga 45cal and M14 for.
Nope, but I repaired the ships that did. And since you have now chosen to be intentionally obtuse, I am DONE with you. See ya, troll.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I was taught how to properly handle firearms at a young age (8) by my father (which should be a prime responsibility of any parent with young kids). It was second nature by the time I joined the service at 19. The Navy owns the weapons I was trained on and carried. Service members do not get to keep the weapons they are issued.
On the subject of firearm handling at a young age. The main reason so many kids are killed with a firearm is because a lot of parents who own them tell their kids "don't you dare touch that". So what is the first thing kids want to do.......play with it. By teaching a young kid at an early age the proper way to handle a firearm and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly, you remove any mystique that firearm may hold. My son was taught as soon as he showed an interest, and I have the utmost confidence that he knows what to do around firearms, handling firearms, and especially if a friend of his decides to "play" with their parents gun.
You learned how to shoot a gun at eight? That just blows me away. I don't know......what to say.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
An aircraft is designed to contend with the aerodynamic realities of our atmosphere. Their "form", reflects that purpose.
The most practical "form" for an interstellar craft is the sphere.
--OBVIOUSLY
That "form" has already been selected.
--AGAIN
Form follows function.
A rifle is designed to contend with the physical realities of our bodies. Their "form", reflects that purpose.
The most practical "form" for a rifle is the pole. As in pole arms.
--OBVIOUSLY
That "form" has already been selected.
--AGAIN

Civilina rifles look like military rifles, and that form scares the piss out of ignorant liberals.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You learned how to shoot a gun at eight? That just blows me away. I don't know......what to say.
Me and tony were running around in the mountains with our 22 rifles at 8. We started with bb guns at 7. We both learned gun handling and safety at 6.
Nobody ever got shot.

However, a whole shitpot full of critters did.

And snakes. Hundreds of snakes were slaughtered.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
"I work in design engineering"
--fixing the office copier doesn't qualify.
:)
An M1 Abrams Main Battle tank has the same "basic" form as a Caterpillar D6 Bulldozer.
--WITH
A few extra design characteristics, it's become something almost entirely slated for a different purpose.
--THE SAME
Can be said of tactically designed "Assault Weapons" with regard to tradition riffles.
It is what it is...
--KEEP
Telling yourself differently and even YOU may believe it...
Eventually
Tell you what, you bring your "assault rifle" and I will bring my assault rifle.

We can find out who has the big bad army gun.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a lie. I did not even shoot at you.
Very funny. You have guns on the brain.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and tony were running around in the mountains with our 22 rifles at 8. We started with bb guns at 7. We both learned gun handling and safety at 6.
Nobody ever got shot.
However, a whole shitpot full of critters did.
And snakes. Hundreds of snakes were slaughtered.
You and Tony were just babies with weapons. Shaking head.

I hate snakes.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, like you keep saying, that is what they are made for.
I personally want to be able to be able to easily shoot anyone I think is trying to harm me or my family.
Pistols are real handy for that.
There is a possibility that the person you THOUGHT was going to harm you~wasn't going to, and you up and shot and killed him. You would be in big trouble.

You are a southerner?
Tray

Oxford, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
REPELL INVADERS!
But that does not happen anymore. A ship is no longer in danger of boarding parties as they once were so we need to remove the small arms from those on ships. They may harm themselves or someone else. The anti-gun crowd say that unless there is a specific need then no one should have guns. Navy and Air Force personal should no longer need small arms. Support personal should not have guns. Officers should not have guns. State side personal should not have guns. Only those on the active battle line should be issued a gun and removed immediately upon leaving the battle area. You know I'm joking, right?
Tray

Oxford, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a possibility that the person you THOUGHT was going to harm you~wasn't going to, and you up and shot and killed him. You would be in big trouble.
You are a southerner?
But it's probable they may be trying to harm you in which case NOT having a gun would be fatal to the person with a right to be there. Lesson- don't try to knock in doors that don't belong to you.
Dr Freud

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> But that does not happen anymore. A ship is no longer in danger of boarding parties as they once were so we need to remove the small arms from those on ships. They may harm themselves or someone else. The anti-gun crowd say that unless there is a specific need then no one should have guns. Navy and Air Force personal should no longer need small arms. Support personal should not have guns. Officers should not have guns. State side personal should not have guns. Only those on the active battle line should be issued a gun and removed immediately upon leaving the battle area. You know I'm joking, right?
"You know I'm joking, right?"

Yes, I realize: You're pulling my leg, my arm, and my hair (or what's remaining of that)!
In other words, you're fun'n (humoring) me!
;-)

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Join or renew your membership in the NRA.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> But that does not happen anymore. A ship is no longer in danger of boarding parties as they once were so we need to remove the small arms from those on ships. They may harm themselves or someone else. The anti-gun crowd say that unless there is a specific need then no one should have guns. Navy and Air Force personal should no longer need small arms. Support personal should not have guns. Officers should not have guns. State side personal should not have guns. Only those on the active battle line should be issued a gun and removed immediately upon leaving the battle area. You know I'm joking, right?
Lol, no doubt some of the whacko's that post here will think that's a great idea.
Some will even be disappointed they didn't think of it themselves :)

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what, you bring your "assault rifle" and I will bring my assault rifle.
We can find out who has the big bad army gun.
Your thoughts are...

Not concise

Incoherent

--AND

Incomplete.

After all this time, you've finally reached a point of no return.

--TWO WORDS FOR YOU

Cat Scan

Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, no doubt some of the whacko's that post here will think that's a great idea.
Some will even be disappointed they didn't think of it themselves :)
Darn! Wish I had thought of that. Sounds good to me.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

okimar wrote:
Join or renew your membership in the NRA.
Don't waste your money. I heard they are going to fold soon.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
And they were killed on your altar of gun control.
Because insane people like you made sure that no one could stop the armed killers.
Because you insane peolpe think you can keep guns from armed killers.
No insane one, you can only disarm the people that can protect the children.
And after you have done that, and the children get slaughtered in your altar, you smile and say job well done.
Riddle me this dumbass, why did the killer in Norway pick an island where insane people like you made sure no one had a gun?
Now scurry away little rodent, I know that these kind of questions upset your insane little world.
I think if there is no way that criminals can be prevented from threatening schools, then it is reasonable that there are trained people within the school who can defend students with appropriate means - not necessarily teachers, the person/persons would need to be skilled and confident in the use of guns. Obviously it is a sad situation when this is considered necessary - but yes, it is also reality. Do you think there are any effective measures which could reduce the ability of the criminally minded to obtain weapons?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••