It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Truthdig

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Comments (Page 4,509)

Showing posts 90,161 - 90,180 of103,233
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
What was your role?
secondary job: ship's self defense force qualified on the shotgun,.45cal pistol, and M-14 rifle (armed watch stander)

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
That should not be an expectation of teachers - if I had to carry a gun into my classroom I would resign - there are limits.
Of course there are limits.

Educators, obviously have the most critical job within our society.

--AND

They've more than enough burden already to need not worry about a Glock, strapped to their ass.

Schools, especially within my country, are the last place which should be weaponized.

Ridiculous
Guppy

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
ship repair mechanic
Must be very complicated.

Did many people get seasick?
Guppy

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
secondary job: ship's self defense force qualified on the shotgun,.45cal pistol, and M-14 rifle (armed watch stander)
I guess you took a liking to the weapons.

What happens to the weapons when you are discharged?
Guppy

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

The chattering chatterers have stopped chatting.

Why would you take up candle making/what do you do with all the candles?
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
A made up term by the MSM to make semi-auto rifles seem more menacing. Nothing more...nothing less.
And a darned good reference on that matter:
http://www.gunbanfacts.com/get_the_facts/hist...

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
A made up term by the MSM to make semi-auto rifles seem more menacing. Nothing more...nothing less.
I'm going to continually remind us of the precipitous facts.

--20 Babies

Slaughtered, before they could THINK to run.

--Guilty

Only of, drawing stick figures of Mommy and Daddy and dreaming of Santa Claus.

--CUT the CRAP

A Cloud, is a cloud

A Carrot, a carrot

A Turtle, a turtle

--THESE

Weapons are distinctly and with forethought of purpose patterned after military tactical weapons. Their design and purpose are clear to anyone with a shred of intelligence.

"Assault Weapon" is descriptive and a reasonably apt term for them.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
And a darned good reference on that matter:
http://www.gunbanfacts.com/get_the_facts/hist...
The M-14 is another nice rifle. I really liked that rifle.
GoGoBar

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

LOL. Not even a small attempt at effort.

Poofters really.

Start but cannot,,,,comnplete

Yanks.

Like War/ Losers. Count them up. The ratio.
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
Yeah, and an ASS, is an ASS, i.e., YOURSELF, for instance!

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you took a liking to the weapons.
What happens to the weapons when you are discharged?
I was taught how to properly handle firearms at a young age (8) by my father (which should be a prime responsibility of any parent with young kids). It was second nature by the time I joined the service at 19. The Navy owns the weapons I was trained on and carried. Service members do not get to keep the weapons they are issued.

On the subject of firearm handling at a young age. The main reason so many kids are killed with a firearm is because a lot of parents who own them tell their kids "don't you dare touch that". So what is the first thing kids want to do.......play with it. By teaching a young kid at an early age the proper way to handle a firearm and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly, you remove any mystique that firearm may hold. My son was taught as soon as he showed an interest, and I have the utmost confidence that he knows what to do around firearms, handling firearms, and especially if a friend of his decides to "play" with their parents gun.

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Your service is appreciated.
Sincerely
Thanks. It was my honor.

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--20 Babies
--Guilty
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
Weapons are distinctly and with forethought of purpose patterned after military tactical weapons. Their design and purpose are clear to anyone with a shred of intelligence.
Bullshit. Your reply goes back to the old libtard playbook of "keep repeating a lie long enough, and eventually it will be seen as the truth". They resemble military battle rifles IN LOOKS ONLY! Functionally they are different.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--20 Babies
--Guilty
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
These weapons weren't designed with the clear purpose of shooting children. That purpose belongs to the deranged shooter.

We need psychopath control. I'm sure a psychopath is really going to worry about a fine for an extended magazine while shooting up people.[sarcasm]

I recall some Korean business owners used semi autos to protect their businesses during the L.A. riots very effectively. That would be a legitimate purpose.

This well off woman in Connecticut probably felt a need for these weapons with all of this us and them 99% vs. 1% rhetoric.

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. Your reply goes back to the old libtard playbook of "keep repeating a lie long enough, and eventually it will be seen as the truth". They resemble military battle rifles IN LOOKS ONLY! Functionally they are different.
Their weight, ergonomics, rate of discharge and capacitance combine to make their designed intent distinctly obvious.

Their "look", is irrelevant.

--IF

You choose to liken them to floral arrangements...

--Fine

It's not that important to me.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Preventing or stopping rape of a minor would be a legitimate excuse for justifiable homicide.
An honor and a privilege.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--20 Babies
--Guilty
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
Show ONE government agency that has AR15s in inventory that list's them as "assault weapons". Show ONE law enforcement agency that has AR15s in inventory that list's them as "assault weapons". Show one government expenditure report where the purchase of AR15s is listed as "assault weapons". I saw a copy of a hundred dollar bill, it looked exactly like a hundred dollar bill. But it was NOT a hundred dollar bill. You obviously don't have a shred of intelligence.

Southeast Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Their weight, ergonomics, rate of discharge and capacitance combine to make their designed intent distinctly obvious.
Their "look", is irrelevant.
--IF
You choose to liken them to floral arrangements...
--Fine
It's not that important to me.
The rate of discharge for an AR-15 (or similar semi-auto rifle) is the same rate as any other semi-auto pistol, rifle, or double-action revolver........one bullet fired for each pull of the trigger. How fast the trigger can be pulled it stricly dependent on the ability of the USER. Weight and ergonomics are irrelevant. And when a magazine can be change in less than a second, mag capacity is irrelevant also.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there are limits.
Educators, obviously have the most critical job within our society.
--AND
They've more than enough burden already to need not worry about a Glock, strapped to their ass.
Schools, especially within my country, are the last place which should be weaponized.
Ridiculous
Have you been asleep? Guns have never stopped being in schools. Most inner schools of the largest cities are full of guns in the hands of students. More faculty carry guns than you can imagine their just not stupid enough to tell the NAZI's. Criminals are coming into schools with all kinds of weapons but just guns make the news. Those times guns in school saved lives don't make NBC. Don't you think the choice to carry should be up to the person who's life may depend on having a gun or not? Of course once you take down the "EASY VICTIM ZONE" sign the nuts will go someplace else. In case you missed it, they prefer self defense free zones.
Dr Freud

Hatfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I was taught how to properly handle firearms at a young age (8) by my father (which should be a prime responsibility of any parent with young kids). It was second nature by the time I joined the service at 19. The Navy owns the weapons I was trained on and carried. Service members do not get to keep the weapons they are issued.
On the subject of firearm handling at a young age. The main reason so many kids are killed with a firearm is because a lot of parents who own them tell their kids "don't you dare touch that". So what is the first thing kids want to do.......play with it. By teaching a young kid at an early age the proper way to handle a firearm and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly, you remove any mystique that firearm may hold. My son was taught as soon as he showed an interest, and I have the utmost confidence that he knows what to do around firearms, handling firearms, and especially if a friend of his decides to "play" with their parents gun.
"By teaching a young kid at an early age the proper way to handle a firearm and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly, you remove any mystique that firearm may hold."

EXACTLY!
By short-circuiting the glamour, and the mystique factors through the full disclosure of all aspects, one becomes assessed of all the potentialities, coming to understand the most necessary facts in the process.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 90,161 - 90,180 of103,233
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••