It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Englewood, FL

#96097 Jan 15, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and tony were running around in the mountains with our 22 rifles at 8. We started with bb guns at 7. We both learned gun handling and safety at 6.
Nobody ever got shot.
However, a whole shitpot full of critters did.
And snakes. Hundreds of snakes were slaughtered.
You and Tony were just babies with weapons. Shaking head.

I hate snakes.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#96098 Jan 15, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, like you keep saying, that is what they are made for.
I personally want to be able to be able to easily shoot anyone I think is trying to harm me or my family.
Pistols are real handy for that.
There is a possibility that the person you THOUGHT was going to harm you~wasn't going to, and you up and shot and killed him. You would be in big trouble.

You are a southerner?
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96099 Jan 15, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
REPELL INVADERS!
But that does not happen anymore. A ship is no longer in danger of boarding parties as they once were so we need to remove the small arms from those on ships. They may harm themselves or someone else. The anti-gun crowd say that unless there is a specific need then no one should have guns. Navy and Air Force personal should no longer need small arms. Support personal should not have guns. Officers should not have guns. State side personal should not have guns. Only those on the active battle line should be issued a gun and removed immediately upon leaving the battle area. You know I'm joking, right?
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96100 Jan 15, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a possibility that the person you THOUGHT was going to harm you~wasn't going to, and you up and shot and killed him. You would be in big trouble.
You are a southerner?
But it's probable they may be trying to harm you in which case NOT having a gun would be fatal to the person with a right to be there. Lesson- don't try to knock in doors that don't belong to you.
Dr Freud

UK

#96101 Jan 15, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> But that does not happen anymore. A ship is no longer in danger of boarding parties as they once were so we need to remove the small arms from those on ships. They may harm themselves or someone else. The anti-gun crowd say that unless there is a specific need then no one should have guns. Navy and Air Force personal should no longer need small arms. Support personal should not have guns. Officers should not have guns. State side personal should not have guns. Only those on the active battle line should be issued a gun and removed immediately upon leaving the battle area. You know I'm joking, right?
"You know I'm joking, right?"

Yes, I realize: You're pulling my leg, my arm, and my hair (or what's remaining of that)!
In other words, you're fun'n (humoring) me!
;-)

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#96102 Jan 15, 2013
Join or renew your membership in the NRA.

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#96103 Jan 15, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> But that does not happen anymore. A ship is no longer in danger of boarding parties as they once were so we need to remove the small arms from those on ships. They may harm themselves or someone else. The anti-gun crowd say that unless there is a specific need then no one should have guns. Navy and Air Force personal should no longer need small arms. Support personal should not have guns. Officers should not have guns. State side personal should not have guns. Only those on the active battle line should be issued a gun and removed immediately upon leaving the battle area. You know I'm joking, right?
Lol, no doubt some of the whacko's that post here will think that's a great idea.
Some will even be disappointed they didn't think of it themselves :)

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#96104 Jan 15, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what, you bring your "assault rifle" and I will bring my assault rifle.
We can find out who has the big bad army gun.
Your thoughts are...

Not concise

Incoherent

--AND

Incomplete.

After all this time, you've finally reached a point of no return.

--TWO WORDS FOR YOU

Cat Scan

Guppy

Englewood, FL

#96105 Jan 15, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, no doubt some of the whacko's that post here will think that's a great idea.
Some will even be disappointed they didn't think of it themselves :)
Darn! Wish I had thought of that. Sounds good to me.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#96106 Jan 15, 2013
okimar wrote:
Join or renew your membership in the NRA.
Don't waste your money. I heard they are going to fold soon.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

#96107 Jan 15, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
And they were killed on your altar of gun control.
Because insane people like you made sure that no one could stop the armed killers.
Because you insane peolpe think you can keep guns from armed killers.
No insane one, you can only disarm the people that can protect the children.
And after you have done that, and the children get slaughtered in your altar, you smile and say job well done.
Riddle me this dumbass, why did the killer in Norway pick an island where insane people like you made sure no one had a gun?
Now scurry away little rodent, I know that these kind of questions upset your insane little world.
I think if there is no way that criminals can be prevented from threatening schools, then it is reasonable that there are trained people within the school who can defend students with appropriate means - not necessarily teachers, the person/persons would need to be skilled and confident in the use of guns. Obviously it is a sad situation when this is considered necessary - but yes, it is also reality. Do you think there are any effective measures which could reduce the ability of the criminally minded to obtain weapons?
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#96108 Jan 15, 2013
Seems kind of quiet here.
Some of the fools have left.
I didn't mean to be so mean, but that's the way I am.
Someone should start a Civil War forum. THe Austrailians would have a field day with that one.
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#96109 Jan 15, 2013
Oh. Sarah is back and she is medicated.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#96110 Jan 15, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't waste your money. I heard they are going to fold soon.
Too late.$35.00 for renewal and a $100.00 contribution. Money well spent. As for them "folding",hold your breath......
Dr Freud

UK

#96111 Jan 15, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if there is no way that criminals can be prevented from threatening schools, then it is reasonable that there are trained people within the school who can defend students with appropriate means - not necessarily teachers, the person/persons would need to be skilled and confident in the use of guns. Obviously it is a sad situation when this is considered necessary - but yes, it is also reality. Do you think there are any effective measures which could reduce the ability of the criminally minded to obtain weapons?
"Do you think there are any effective measures which could reduce the ability of the criminally minded to obtain weapons?"

You're still 'thinking INSIDE the box.'
QUESTION: WHEN did all those school shootings begin?
When you start with THAT question, then you MUST of necessity pursue the other avenues which lead to that situation: If that situation DID NOT EXIST priorly, then WHAT was it that caused the initiation of those incidents?
In the U.S., there have ALWAYS been guns available. So, it simply cannot be the guns.
The only thing left is the psychotropic drugs.
Before those drugs, there WERE NO mass shootings at schools.
It doesn't take a 'rocket scientist' to figure out the genesis of school shootings.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#96112 Jan 15, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
From government, or from THE PEOPLE?
If YOU say 'government,' fine.
But if you say 'THE PEOPLE,' then aren't YOU validating EVERYTHING which took place under Lenin, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and ALL the other GENOCIDES of the 20th Century?
OR, are YOU in agreement with GENOCIDE?
I suggest you take two aspirin and lie down before you hurt yourself brain spasms are dangerous ...
Dr Freud

UK

#96113 Jan 15, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you take two aspirin and lie down before you hurt yourself brain spasms are dangerous ...
YOUR post reads in the same way as someone who's a PAID SHILL.
Now, go fetch yourself a really cheap beer, and a pizza.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#96115 Jan 15, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"Do you think there are any effective measures which could reduce the ability of the criminally minded to obtain weapons?"
You're still 'thinking INSIDE the box.'
QUESTION: WHEN did all those school shootings begin?
When you start with THAT question, then you MUST of necessity pursue the other avenues which lead to that situation: If that situation DID NOT EXIST priorly, then WHAT was it that caused the initiation of those incidents?
In the U.S., there have ALWAYS been guns available. So, it simply cannot be the guns.
The only thing left is the psychotropic drugs.
Before those drugs, there WERE NO mass shootings at schools.
It doesn't take a 'rocket scientist' to figure out the genesis of school shootings.
Then why dont the other high income democracies have mass shooting as regularly as the USA.

They all have drugs.

Tell us Dr Fraud.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#96116 Jan 15, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You learned how to shoot a gun at eight? That just blows me away. I don't know......what to say.
Nothing out of the ordinary growing up in the Midwest. I learned to shoot first with a .22cal rifle, then a .22cal pistol, and I got my first shotgun (which actually use to belong to my great-grandfather) at 13. My best friend and I used to go hunting all the time in our teens. Many quail, rabbits and squirrels have fallen from our dead-on aim (pun intended).

My son learned at eight with a BB gun. Got his .22cal rifle at 10, and the old family heirloom shotgun at 13. We go hunting quite a lot together.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#96117 Jan 15, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing out of the ordinary growing up in the Midwest. I learned to shoot first with a .22cal rifle, then a .22cal pistol, and I got my first shotgun (which actually use to belong to my great-grandfather) at 13. My best friend and I used to go hunting all the time in our teens. Many quail, rabbits and squirrels have fallen from our dead-on aim (pun intended).
My son learned at eight with a BB gun. Got his .22cal rifle at 10, and the old family heirloom shotgun at 13. We go hunting quite a lot together.
Cityslickers won't get it. I got a B-B gun at 9 and a .410 for rabbits and squirrels at 12. A friend and I were shooting his .22 at pigeons at a neighbor's hog lot to keep feed losses down. He paid a nickel per bird. We shot rats at the county dump. At 17 I joined the Marines and was issued(gasp)automatic weapons. Did very well. Shot expert many times in the Corps,as well as qualified for my Battalion rifle team competition. Went on to become a range coach,teaching Marines to shoot better when the qualified on their yearly rifle range qualification. Spent my off time shooting IPSC competition around S. Calif at various matches I could get to. All these yahoo libs who think seriously they can restrict people's rights live in a delusional world. For starters there are almost 300 million firearms of all types in private hands. Of those several million are in the AR family. I don't see it happening. Don't mean they still won't want it or try,so we still need to keep banging their heads against the wall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Perverts walking free from Vic courts 13 min The Fonz 2
News Now Available: Australian Renewable Fuels Limit... 1 hr duck goose 5
News Experience the best of Sydney 1 hr duck goose 1
want to have a girlfriend. 2 hr Peter Hall 3
News antifa notes 18 hr Scoop 9
Poll Why are Indian men and white women relationship... (Aug '13) 22 hr Rob 9
News Australian ISIS recruiter Neil Prakash posts tr... Sun Scoop 2
More from around the web