It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#96052 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Your service is appreciated.
Sincerely
Thanks. It was my honor.

Southeast Virginia

#96053 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to continually remind us of the precipitous facts.
--20 Babies
Slaughtered, before they could THINK to run.
--Guilty
Only of, drawing stick figures of Mommy and Daddy and dreaming of Santa Claus.
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
Weapons are distinctly and with forethought of purpose patterned after military tactical weapons. Their design and purpose are clear to anyone with a shred of intelligence.
"Assault Weapon" is descriptive and a reasonably apt term for them.
Bullshit. Your reply goes back to the old libtard playbook of "keep repeating a lie long enough, and eventually it will be seen as the truth". They resemble military battle rifles IN LOOKS ONLY! Functionally they are different.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#96054 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--20 Babies
--Guilty
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
Weapons are distinctly and with forethought of purpose patterned after military tactical weapons. Their design and purpose are clear to anyone with a shred of intelligence.
These weapons weren't designed with the clear purpose of shooting children. That purpose belongs to the deranged shooter.

We need psychopath control. I'm sure a psychopath is really going to worry about a fine for an extended magazine while shooting up people.[sarcasm]

I recall some Korean business owners used semi autos to protect their businesses during the L.A. riots very effectively. That would be a legitimate purpose.

This well off woman in Connecticut probably felt a need for these weapons with all of this us and them 99% vs. 1% rhetoric.

“" BITE ME "”

Since: Dec 10

Olney township

#96055 Jan 15, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. Your reply goes back to the old libtard playbook of "keep repeating a lie long enough, and eventually it will be seen as the truth". They resemble military battle rifles IN LOOKS ONLY! Functionally they are different.
Their weight, ergonomics, rate of discharge and capacitance combine to make their designed intent distinctly obvious.

Their "look", is irrelevant.

--IF

You choose to liken them to floral arrangements...

--Fine

It's not that important to me.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96056 Jan 15, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Preventing or stopping rape of a minor would be a legitimate excuse for justifiable homicide.
An honor and a privilege.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96057 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--20 Babies
--Guilty
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
Show ONE government agency that has AR15s in inventory that list's them as "assault weapons". Show ONE law enforcement agency that has AR15s in inventory that list's them as "assault weapons". Show one government expenditure report where the purchase of AR15s is listed as "assault weapons". I saw a copy of a hundred dollar bill, it looked exactly like a hundred dollar bill. But it was NOT a hundred dollar bill. You obviously don't have a shred of intelligence.

Southeast Virginia

#96058 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Their weight, ergonomics, rate of discharge and capacitance combine to make their designed intent distinctly obvious.
--IF
--Fine
The rate of discharge for an AR-15 (or similar semi-auto rifle) is the same rate as any other semi-auto pistol, rifle, or double-action revolver........one bullet fired for each pull of the trigger. How fast the trigger can be pulled it stricly dependent on the ability of the USER. Weight and ergonomics are irrelevant. And when a magazine can be change in less than a second, mag capacity is irrelevant also.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96059 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there are limits.
Educators, obviously have the most critical job within our society.
--AND
They've more than enough burden already to need not worry about a Glock, strapped to their ass.
Schools, especially within my country, are the last place which should be weaponized.
Ridiculous
Have you been asleep? Guns have never stopped being in schools. Most inner schools of the largest cities are full of guns in the hands of students. More faculty carry guns than you can imagine their just not stupid enough to tell the NAZI's. Criminals are coming into schools with all kinds of weapons but just guns make the news. Those times guns in school saved lives don't make NBC. Don't you think the choice to carry should be up to the person who's life may depend on having a gun or not? Of course once you take down the "EASY VICTIM ZONE" sign the nuts will go someplace else. In case you missed it, they prefer self defense free zones.
Dr Freud

UK

#96060 Jan 15, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I was taught how to properly handle firearms at a young age (8) by my father (which should be a prime responsibility of any parent with young kids). It was second nature by the time I joined the service at 19. The Navy owns the weapons I was trained on and carried. Service members do not get to keep the weapons they are issued.
On the subject of firearm handling at a young age. The main reason so many kids are killed with a firearm is because a lot of parents who own them tell their kids "don't you dare touch that". So what is the first thing kids want to do.......play with it. By teaching a young kid at an early age the proper way to handle a firearm and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly, you remove any mystique that firearm may hold. My son was taught as soon as he showed an interest, and I have the utmost confidence that he knows what to do around firearms, handling firearms, and especially if a friend of his decides to "play" with their parents gun.
"By teaching a young kid at an early age the proper way to handle a firearm and how dangerous they can be if not handled properly, you remove any mystique that firearm may hold."

EXACTLY!
By short-circuiting the glamour, and the mystique factors through the full disclosure of all aspects, one becomes assessed of all the potentialities, coming to understand the most necessary facts in the process.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96061 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--IF
--Fine
Everything that don't fit your agenda is irrelevant? You are still a total failure.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#96062 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
--20 Babies
--Guilty
--CUT the CRAP
A Cloud, is a cloud
A Carrot, a carrot
A Turtle, a turtle
--THESE
http://video.today.msnbc.msn.c om/today/502084...

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#96063 Jan 15, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
The rate of discharge for an AR-15 (or similar semi-auto rifle) is the same rate as any other semi-auto pistol, rifle, or double-action revolver........one bullet fired for each pull of the trigger. How fast the trigger can be pulled it stricly dependent on the ability of the USER. Weight and ergonomics are irrelevant. And when a magazine can be change in less than a second, mag capacity is irrelevant also.
Weight and ergonomics are irrelevant?

Really?

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION...

--A

Basic principal in physics, physiology and Design Engineering.

Look it up

Dr Freud

UK

#96064 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION...
--A
Look it up
"FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION..."

Really? Modern airplanes tend to 'look' like 'space ships.'
So, WHY aren't those flying in interstellar space?
So much for your declaration of 'form follows function.'

“" BITE ME "”

Olney township

#96065 Jan 15, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION..."
Really? Modern airplanes tend to 'look' like 'space ships.'
So, WHY aren't those flying in interstellar space?
So much for your declaration of 'form follows function.'
An aircraft is designed to contend with the aerodynamic realities of our atmosphere. Their "form", reflects that purpose.

The most practical "form" for an interstellar craft is the sphere.

--OBVIOUSLY

That "form" has already been selected.

--AGAIN

Form follows function.
Dr Freud

UK

#96067 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
An aircraft is designed to contend with the aerodynamic realities of our atmosphere. Their "form", reflects that purpose.
The most practical "form" for an interstellar craft is the sphere.
--OBVIOUSLY
That "form" has already been selected.
--AGAIN
Form follows function.
YOUR form follows YOUR function: COMPLETE ARSE!
There you go!
Dr Freud

UK

#96068 Jan 15, 2013
jaes wrote:
Armed Veteran is a liar he never served a day in the military. A 12ga 45 and m14
He described the arms which he was trained to use:
[A] A 12 gage shotgun
[B] A .45 cal. pistol
[C] An M14 30 cal. rifle
So, what's your beef, once again?

Southeast Virginia

#96070 Jan 15, 2013
Empathica wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION...
--A
Look it up
Right. And the basic form of the rifle hasn't changed in several hundred years. The invent of composites has made them lighter, but hasn't affected the ergonomics. The internal workings in the actions may have changed, but he basic operation has not.

I work in design engineering. Try again.

Southeast Virginia

#96071 Jan 15, 2013
jaes wrote:
Armed Veteran is a liar he never served a day in the military. A 12ga 45 and m14
That's funny. That's NOT what the Honorable Discharge Certificate hanging on my wall says.

F**k off, troll.
endtime

AOL

#96072 Jan 15, 2013

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST______

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#96074 Jan 15, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
What you speak of, in that matter of 'drive-bys,' can't be said to be any kind 'culture.'
See here: The very first drive-by in the U.S. happened in that entirely sad chapter of American history referred to as 'Prohibition'(1920 to 1933).
That ill act —the drive-by— happened as a result of two criminal gangs competing for territory. The incident happened on St. Valentine's Day, February 14, 1929, and is referred to as the 'St. Valentine's Day Massacre.'
The bottom line here is just this: GOVERNMENT was THE cause of that incident by way of instituting a law which outlawed the production, distribution, and sale of a substance (alcoholic beverages. The law itself was one of worst travesties ever instituted into law, and which was a supreme violation of the 9th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
And, as if THAT wasn't bad enough, the inveterate do-gooder idiots in government, subsequently followed-up on that score with the so-called 'War on Drugs.'
Anything to oppress the people, and demonize their individual lives, even when they aren't bothering anyone.
But all that aside, what you're actually referring to is the 'Gang culture,' and not any kind of 'gun culture.'
Criminal gangs exist for one reason, and one reason only: Because government creates all the reasons for those gangs to exist.
Consequently they —government— use the excuse of gang violence to deprive everyone else of their rights.
Now I HOPE that you make that connection: Government creates all of the conditions for crime gangs to exist, and THEN blames YOU and ME for what it is that those gangs do as a result of the laws government made, and the crime which resulted.
The latest email from VCDL had a guy that looked at some numbers.
here is a link the article came from.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/listen...

Blacks make up 13% of the population.

Blacks make up 52% of the murder victims. Over 50% of the murderers are black.

According to the Baltimore Police, in 2007, 91% of the people murdered with guns there had a criminal record.

The ratio of nearly 5 gun deaths per 100k peopel apparently only applies to black criminals.

If you take black people out of the equation, our dun murder rate is 2.5 per 100k.

As a slightly related sidebar, it also mentioned that

"The Government Accountability Office estimated that 25,064 criminal aliens (non-U.S.
citizens) were arrested for homicide in the U.S. Compare that number to the total number
of homicides in the U.S. in 2011: 14,612."

Not sure what this is relevant to, but what a number.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Postcard Swimwear: Design the swimsuit of your ... 4 hr Diamonte 10
News Confusion as Tyler the Creator claims he's bann... 7 hr Darryl 1
Poll Aussie voted most racist people against aborigi... 7 hr goodesafl 0
Watching turdskins getting beaten with sticks i... 7 hr Indians are worth... 1
Starving Africans are hilarious (Apr '14) 12 hr Grassclipper 57
African savage murders baby in Newcastle 12 hr Grassclipper 3
Poll Why White Women loves Indian Men? (Oct '11) 12 hr Kateffcee11 16,517
More from around the web