It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103300 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

MabarCACA Controller

UK

#86740 Dec 18, 2012
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
This forum is a joke, If nothing else it has given me a bit of an insight into the mind of the average american gunnut. Reading the suff here gives me mixed emotions, pity,amazement,disgust, disbelief, wonder, bewilderment.
Good one Uncle sid, still life left in the old codger yet.

Say hello to Julie Chamberpot Ilford UK next time to send you OAP money to her.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86741 Dec 18, 2012
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
Fire extinguishers don't put out fires, people do.
Huh?

Then why use one?

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#86742 Dec 18, 2012
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
A fire extinguisher without a person to operate it is useless in an fire attack. Human contribution is necessary for it to work.

A car without a person to drive it is a useless mode of transport. Human contribution is necessary for it to work.

A knife without a person to wield it is a useless cutting tool. Human contribution is necessary for it to work.

A gun without a person to operate it is a useless piece of steel. Human contribution is necessary for it to work.

A bomb without a person to set it off is a useless big blob of metal. Human contribution is necessary for it to work.

The above five very different things all have the potential to kill.

What is the one common denominator?
Light Bearer

Woodville, Australia

#86744 Dec 18, 2012
MabarCACA Controller wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Ade post.
Ade is a mufflinkdater. Innappropriate

WhereTFamI?

#86745 Dec 18, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
Of course the NRA strategy is to lay low when their guns create horrific media results. They are more comfortable with the reporting of single, double and murder suicides that the proles are pretty much immune to.
Thus the regulars are actually attemping to use cowardly strategy to avoid the truth.
It's the guns stupid.
It's the stupid 'people' who use the guns, and there is no cure for stupidity. That's why the non-stupid have to pay the price for the actions of the stupid element. Always has been and always will be.

I remember when kids plastic sling-shots and bows and arrows were banned... because they were a 'potential' danger for kids eyes - even though they had suction cups on the ends. But the ends could come off... so that made them "dangerous".

So then we had a re-birth of the sling-shots and bows and arrows made out of tree branches, string, rubber bands and sticks... and the ends of the arrows were sharpened by the kids with their own pocket knives ... which every kid I knew had one, and so did I. Don't remember anyone losing a finger.

None of us lost an eye either, and we all lived long enough to get either cancer, heart disease, arthritis, hair loss, indigestion... oh what fun! But we can all still remember the fun days from our childhood.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86746 Dec 18, 2012
Thank god Obama is in charge. He'll sort this out.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#86747 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to visit your doctor. Look at post #86253. I don't know how old you are, but you might want to be checked for dementia. That would be sad, if you have it. I would totally be kind to you no matter what. Always remember that.
For the third time. How did you pass a background check? Did you? I'm beginning to think you didn't.
Of course the military should have weapons. That is a no brainer.
Rational? Hmmm? You? Hmmm?
Holiday decor? Hahahaha. Do you have one of those inflatable Santa's by your front door and the reindeer on the roof? That's a classic look. Could you sent me a photo?
Court ordered meds? You seem to know a lot about that. Do they dictate what you should take? Sometimes I think you forget and then come on here ranting and raving about god knows what.
I tried to be your friend. Even at Christmas time you can't be nice. What happens in the summer? Do you go off the deep end?
Cat hair? Children? My cats are my children and they can sit wherever they want. They seem to like the cat hair on the furniture, so I leave it alone. It's a little thick on the sofa, but hey, it keeps them warm!
Don't forget to send my present very soon, or else I won't get it in time. I will thank you in advance. Hint? What did you get me? I was hoping you would get be a pretty pink tool box. Hint. I think I'll get you something in camouflage. Maybe, evening wear. Size 18?
Send the present ~ I can't wait!
See Ya.
Well I went back and sure enough you had ask the question, but I guess the one I still have is exactly how you can suggest I was dodging a question when I had only posted one time after you ask it, and that was post 86255 and it was in response to your post 86251 which means I hadn't even got to the post yet that you claimed in post 86270 I had dodged. Hell I thought we went through this before, a couple times. I have a life, unlike you I am not on here spewing crazy non stop. I don't live with cats, I live with people. I have a cat but I also have a life and can't be on here constantly. The next time I got on here after responding to post 86255 it showed I had a reply and then it showed up as your post saying I had dodged a question I hadn't yet read. I don't go back and read every freakin post made when I'm not on here. I can't, it would take all day and I am not committed enough to spend the time on here it would take to "catch up". I respond to the replies I get and occasionally a post I see that I feel the need or the urge to reply too, that's pretty much it!
Now to answer your question since I have no reason to dodge it, I have NO criminal history, I have no tickets on my driving record for that matter. I have a very good job that requires I pass a state test and I am licensed for that job in two states, which means I pass state required background checks for both states. I am a law abiding citizen and unlike you I can also show I have no mental health issues that would prevent me from obtaining a firearm. Oh, and I'm even a notary public so I have a little rubber stamp and everything! You know rubber don't you, I'm sure you do, now mine is just a small stamp, nothing like the room size you are use too though. I am also related to a lawyer that is partner in his law firm, an ATF officer, the sheriff's mother was my Girl Scout leader, and his sister is one of my best friends. The boy that grew up across the street playing with my kids is on the Sheriff's department and so I also have a pretty good relationship with law enforcement around here. So I have NO PROBLEM passing a background check at all. Scares you don't it, that there are upstanding law abiding citizens with guns that commit no crimes and kill no one. Doesn't really fit your descript of gun owners I know, but it is alot closer to the reality of most gun owners than your defected mind could conceive.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86748 Dec 18, 2012
X seems to be in hiding (like the NRA) and I am embarrassed for her.

She hasn't been seen for a while, because she totally lost it yesterday.

Poor X. It's just a matter of time before she goes into the retirement home.

Bye X. Nice knowing you!

Sad.
Light Bearer

Woodville, Australia

#86749 Dec 18, 2012
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the stupid 'people' who use the guns, and there is no cure for stupidity. That's why the non-stupid have to pay the price for the actions of the stupid element. Always has been and always will be.
I remember when kids plastic sling-shots and bows and arrows were banned... because they were a 'potential' danger for kids eyes - even though they had suction cups on the ends. But the ends could come off... so that made them "dangerous".
So then we had a re-birth of the sling-shots and bows and arrows made out of tree branches, string, rubber bands and sticks... and the ends of the arrows were sharpened by the kids with their own pocket knives ... which every kid I knew had one, and so did I. Don't remember anyone losing a finger.
None of us lost an eye either, and we all lived long enough to get either cancer, heart disease, arthritis, hair loss, indigestion... oh what fun! But we can all still remember the fun days from our childhood.
WHO'S BALD!!!
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86750 Dec 18, 2012
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you usually throw yourself on the fire?

That must feel good.

No sense/No feeling.

Sad.
Light Bearer

Woodville, Australia

#86751 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
Thank god Obama is in charge. He'll sort this out.
How would he pass laws that are theoritically unconstitutional?
Oh, you mean like Obahmacare.
I guess lawyers do have their good points.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86752 Dec 18, 2012
You know that plastic snowman that X has by her front door?

Maybe it spoke to her and they decided to run off together.

Just a thought.

Sad.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86753 Dec 18, 2012
Two of the kids were buried yesterday.

They still would be alive , if it weren't for those damn guns.

He had the bullets that did the most damage to a body. Why did they buy those?

Sad.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#86754 Dec 18, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
How would he pass laws that are theoritically unconstitutional?
Oh, you mean like Obahmacare.
I guess lawyers do have their good points.
The law is gray. Someone can figure it out. Lawyers are good at that.

This is Obama's big chance. He must be under great stress. Everyone should get behind him. Thank god the Republicans are not in charge because they would sweep it under the rug.

He'll be a hero.
Light Bearer

Woodville, Australia

#86755 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
Sad.
I dunno. He looked like a viscous character from his photo.
Probably even tougher than X.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#86756 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
X seems to be in hiding (like the NRA) and I am embarrassed for her.
She hasn't been seen for a while, because she totally lost it yesterday.
Poor X. It's just a matter of time before she goes into the retirement home.
Bye X. Nice knowing you!
Sad.
Oh how sad that my post showed up right before yours accusing me of hiding. Once again, and I'll type this real slow so you can get it...... I HAVE A LIFE.

FTR, I will be going to shop to pick up more Christmas stuff today so I won't be on here until later today or maybe not til tomorrow morning.....can you make it that long without looking for me? You always seem to do your stalking thing when I'm off living my life so I don't want you to worry.

Why don't you call one of those 900 numbers and see if you can't meet more people. You really seem to be starving for a life. Poor thing. Cats don't talk back do they....well perhaps in your mind they do, but once again, reality and your life are soon parted.

WhereTFamI?

#86757 Dec 18, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
<quoted text>
WHO'S BALD!!!
Not me lol! You???

Funny, none of us little ferals went bald, or lost an eye or finger, a few bones were broken... but that's normal - must be something that wasn't in the water!

It's a sad sad world some people live in if they feel it's necessary to take a gun with them to the toilet. That borders on the paranoia - unless you've got an outside dunny of course.
Light Bearer

Woodville, Australia

#86758 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
The law is gray. Someone can figure it out. Lawyers are good at that.
This is Obama's big chance. He must be under great stress. Everyone should get behind him. Thank god the Republicans are not in charge because they would sweep it under the rug.
He'll be a hero.
Then again, the right killed the election for the Retardlickers.
If they had any brains they would iniate the toughest gun laws possible and the Dems would have to agree.
Then the gunnuts would have to form their own Party, so far to the right of everyone, that they bwould spin out of control into the bAtlantic and become irrellevant.
Then Politics might be a force the people in the USA again.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#86759 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, when the grizzly bear kills someone ~ I will not be there and I surely wouldn't have a warrant. I am NOT a police officer. Are you?
I am still here because the Lord hasn't called me home ~ yet.
Yep, I breathe air. I think most people do.
I am NOT eating their food.
Contentious much?
You have trouble following a train of thought I see. It is disturbing to see it was your train of thought that you were unable to follow.
I did not say "kills someone" and did not mean "someone" either.
YOU said that killing a deer is an act of murder, so I asked you why it is an act of murder on the part of a human killing that deer and it is not an act of murder when the grizzly kills that deer.
I'm sorry I mistook you for someone who could actually try to explain why you think that way. My mistake. You are just another one in a long line of folks that do not think about it at all - you only feel, and let your emotions become a poor and dangerous substitute for actual thinking and logic.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#86760 Dec 18, 2012
Guppy wrote:
Sad.
Those kids are dead because a madman went berserk.
Guns are merely tools like any other tool. Tools can and are misused, but it is fools like you who blame the tool instead of the craftsmen using the tool.
Tis the poor craftsman that blames his tools, and likewise, it is the idiot that also blames that poor craftsman's tools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fury over plan to screen anti-vaxxer documentar... 1 hr VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Banned in NY, controversial anti-vaccine film g... 1 hr VACCINES MAIM KILL 3
News Guy keeps getting texts meant for girl who give... 4 hr Marley Honey 2
News Get free burgers for life at this joint, if you... 4 hr Pinky 3
News Suing Russia: Litigating over MH17 23 hr RUSSIAN TERRORISTS 5
Why do Australian men like asian women so much (Mar '11) 23 hr LuvTazzie 1,425
weed in launceston, tasmania (Aug '14) Sep 25 Jayson 7
More from around the web