It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84313 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't understand the vacuum comment. Care to explain?
Ms. X ~ is definitely not your typical MOTHER.
It was the result of making a "sweeping general statement" in hopes of getting the "desired results" from the poster. Don't worry, it must have went over your head.

Just what is a "typical MOTHER?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84314 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the result of making a "sweeping general statement" in hopes of getting the "desired results" from the poster. Don't worry, it must have went over your head.
Just what is a "typical MOTHER?
X ~ I don't always understand the crude stuff. You certainly do.

Typical mother? Not you.

Not worried, but thank you for thinking of me.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84315 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was that Indian's were not just some neanderthal idiots running around with sticks and rocks like was being suggested. No they were not armed to handle the modern weapons of the white man, nor the diseases of the white man.
"gun factory"......I wonder if that might have been funny if not so stupid.....hmmmm......NOPE, it was just stupid.
Once again. The indians were armed.

First Mr Colt went bankrupt and then he became rich.

White man had disease? Surely you jest.

Indians had lice. The other indians would pick the lice off and eat them. Yum.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84316 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
X ~ I don't always understand the crude stuff. You certainly do.
Typical mother? Not you.
Not worried, but thank you for thinking of me.
I would not want to be considered a "typical" mother. I really hope my kids would consider me a good mother, maybe even a great mom, either way the last thing I would want is to be "typical". You really should strive to be better than typical yourself. No one should just settle for what amounts to average, espeically when it is involving the kind of parent you are.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84317 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was that Indian's were not just some neanderthal idiots running around with sticks and rocks like was being suggested. No they were not armed to handle the modern weapons of the white man, nor the diseases of the white man.
"gun factory"......I wonder if that might have been funny if not so stupid.....hmmmm......NOPE, it was just stupid.
That was in response to indians having guns. When the white man came the indian had a stick with a rock on the end.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84318 Dec 10, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Statin can have bad side effects,,not all cholesterol is bad, infact we need it. I think the Doc is saying there may be a better way, perhaps with less reliance on man made drugs.
Thanks for the reply.

I eat very little fat. Although, you wouldn't know it to look at me.

I have tried diet, Niaspan, and there was something? else. Can't remember.

I am doomed to have clogged arteries...

12:36 pm Cloudy, mild, soggy and it was pretty foggy.

Good for your skin though.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84319 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
What are we debating? Whether the buffalo were unarmed. I'm pretty sure they were.
The debate is when people or a nation dis arms they become prey for any and all who would want to enslave or slaughter them. Let's pretend for a second the American Indian had been armed with F18 Hornets, do you think history would be the same? I personally believe I'll hold on to my guns just in case.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84320 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not want to be considered a "typical" mother. I really hope my kids would consider me a good mother, maybe even a great mom, either way the last thing I would want is to be "typical". You really should strive to be better than typical yourself. No one should just settle for what amounts to average, espeically when it is involving the kind of parent you are.
No such thing as a great mother. We ALL have our faults. Some more than others.

You seem to have a dirty mind. I wonder what your kids would think if they read what you write on here? They would surely blush and they would probably say ~ EWW Mom ~ EWW Mom!

I do my best. That's all I can do.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84321 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> That was in response to indians having guns. When the white man came the indian had a stick with a rock on the end.
The rock was in the shape of an arrow. Could kill ya.
Yeah

Santa Fe, NM

#84322 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The debate is when people or a nation dis arms they become prey for any and all who would want to enslave or slaughter them. Let's pretend for a second the American Indian had been armed with F18 Hornets, do you think history would be the same? I personally believe I'll hold on to my guns just in case.
let's pretend LOL.

How about being rational?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84323 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The debate is when people or a nation dis arms they become prey for any and all who would want to enslave or slaughter them. Let's pretend for a second the American Indian had been armed with F18 Hornets, do you think history would be the same? I personally believe I'll hold on to my guns just in case.
Tracyvon,

Are you a girl or a boy?

F18 Hornets? I think history would NOT be the same. But on the other hand.

Yes, hold onto your guns. You never know when some bad man will break into your house or car jack you. Make sure it's either in you pocket or in your hand at all times.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84324 Dec 10, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't subscibe to the notion myself,,but I have heard that women change their minds with some frequency on various matters,,,this is of course an extremely sexist view. I will as ever pay strict attention as demands may change at any time.
Belief in it is not required. It is history for thousands of years and in parts of the world still today. Why does the wolf eat the rabbit? Because it can. Why do males in nature dominate the female? Because they can. Most of the animal kingdom the male is superior as in humans. I didn't design us but I'm not blind either. Back to the gun issue. This is the reason individuals have a right to guns. To offset nature and even the balance between the strong over the weaker. My .357 is equal to your .357 making us more equal and deterring each from taking advantage over the other.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84325 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you consider a rifle being armed when facing an M1 Abrams tank? Armed only applies when in relation to the threat. Lice shampoo is a great weapon against lice, it kills them by the thousands, but would you consider it a viable weapon at 1:00 am against an intruder in your home with a large knife? Would you take a knife or primitive bow and arrow to a gun fight?
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84326 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Tracyvon,
Are you a girl or a boy?
F18 Hornets? I think history would NOT be the same. But on the other hand.
Yes, hold onto your guns. You never know when some bad man will break into your house or car jack you. Make sure it's either in you pocket or in your hand at all times.
I do.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#84327 Dec 10, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
let's pretend LOL.
How about being rational?
Try to keep up Dan.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84328 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read the ENTIRE sentence before commenting on it.

Better yet, just spare me the exhausting game of being able to actually engage in a real conversation with you on the rare occasion you shown stability just to turn around and find that your stability is usually short lived.
An example of the exhausting job it is to communicate with you is shown in your post right here. You have the ability to engage in a very informed and intelligent way on a number of topics and yet you always choose to halt the informed conversation you are obviously capable of with insults, jabs, and distasteful jokes about races and cultures you prove you could not hold a candle to in the area of honor. And then you top it off by suggesting that you don't get the crude stuff when you prove on a continual basis that you are in fact just that.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84329 Dec 10, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as a great mother. We ALL have our faults. Some more than others.
You seem to have a dirty mind. I wonder what your kids would think if they read what you write on here? They would surely blush and they would probably say ~ EWW Mom ~ EWW Mom!
I do my best. That's all I can do.
That is all anyone can do, I just try to be more than "typical". If my children were ask what kind of mother they have I would hope their respose would not be "oh she is typical". I try to be better than that.
Yes their is such thing as a great mother. I happen to have one, as did my husband. I'm sorry you can't say the same. I do hope however that you were sastified with your "typical" mother and I'm sorry for you that she didn't try to be more than that.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84330 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Would you consider a rifle being armed when facing an M1 Abrams tank? Armed only applies when in relation to the threat. Lice shampoo is a great weapon against lice, it kills them by the thousands, but would you consider it a viable weapon at 1:00 am against an intruder in your home with a large knife? Would you take a knife or primitive bow and arrow to a gun fight?
You would take a bow and arrow to a gun fight IF that was all you had. Duh..

Indians didn't have lice shampoo. Didn't need it. They ate the lice and it was so tasty.

Wait. Lice shampoo vs large knife? I would throw the lice shampoo into his eyes and that would be the end of him. I would grab the knife and put it in the dishwasher, clean it and use it for slicing things to eat. Hope it's a bread knife. I need one of those.

M1 Abrams tank? Possible Christmas present. Don't you think?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84331 Dec 10, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read the ENTIRE sentence before commenting on it.
Better yet, just spare me the exhausting game of being able to actually engage in a real conversation with you on the rare occasion you shown stability just to turn around and find that your stability is usually short lived.
An example of the exhausting job it is to communicate with you is shown in your post right here. You have the ability to engage in a very informed and intelligent way on a number of topics and yet you always choose to halt the informed conversation you are obviously capable of with insults, jabs, and distasteful jokes about races and cultures you prove you could not hold a candle to in the area of honor. And then you top it off by suggesting that you don't get the crude stuff when you prove on a continual basis that you are in fact just that.
I'll get back to you. Need someone else to read this and tell me what it means.
Bye...For now.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84332 Dec 10, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Would you consider a rifle being armed when facing an M1 Abrams tank? Armed only applies when in relation to the threat. Lice shampoo is a great weapon against lice, it kills them by the thousands, but would you consider it a viable weapon at 1:00 am against an intruder in your home with a large knife? Would you take a knife or primitive bow and arrow to a gun fight?
armed
[ahrmd] Show IPA

adjective
bearing firearms; having weapons: a heavily armed patrol.
maintained by arms: armed peace.
involving the use of weapons: armed conflict.
equipped: The students came armed with their pocket calculators.
(especially of an animal) covered protectively, as by a shell.

Yes, in fact it would be considered "armed". Not being the one that is superior in what you are armed with no less still means you are "armed".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Now Available: Australian Renewable Fuels Limit... 6 hr boot out bible ba... 3
News antifa notes 12 hr Scoop 9
Poll Why are Indian men and white women relationship... (Aug '13) 16 hr Rob 9
News Australian ISIS recruiter Neil Prakash posts tr... 18 hr Scoop 2
want to have a girlfriend. 19 hr Mr Doom 2
punjabi 19 hr hundal 1
I bashed a Muslim for wearing stupid clothes Sat Grassclipper 6
More from around the web