It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Tray

Saltillo, MS

#84183 Dec 9, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
Do your research!
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#84184 Dec 9, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
You missed the part where she used U.S. technology.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84185 Dec 9, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh?
Isn't that why we pay taxes?
Maybe I should call the good fairy and she will sprinkle fairy dust on us.
What it does is makes you a hypocrite. You decry "ban all guns now", but then expect men and/or women with guns to come to your rescue when you need them.

“I be me, and you are...”

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#84187 Dec 9, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> So women don't commit crimes? No queen has ever slaughtered her own people (do your research before you answer)? Siegfried & Roy "re_educated lions and tigers but we know how that turned out. You can train an animal but you just can't remove it's nature. Most females in nature are subservient to the male and it is natures role that the male be dominant over the female. Males have made the vast majority of advances in human civilization so just were would the female be without us? I see you have a Hitler complex (get rid of those who don't conform to your way of thinking).
Thought processing, a study in itself...
Get rid of? That's like shooting down the fowl in mid- air while he's trying to conquer it's pray but not grabbing your kitty out of your yard...

How civil have humans become...hmmmm
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84188 Dec 9, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a typical yankee thick head.
Perhaps.....but I'm still right!

“I be me, and you are...”

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#84189 Dec 9, 2012
Under, beneath, or below critical or to critique?

Maybe some are worthy to carry a weapon?

Some things just are not that, black alone nor are they just white now are they, the use of weapons has it's reason...

Clowns shall not be outfitted with em'...
RCMP Says You Suck

Lombard, IL

#84190 Dec 9, 2012
The Mule Redirectors wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you another mule linked to the Switchers Jenny Junkie the Dopey Talking Mule?
Hungary next?
Are you of the Cowardly Cancuck Clan? It would appear so. Keep your distance!! Otherwise you may be called upon to engage in thought-provoking debate which you are clearly incapable of.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84191 Dec 9, 2012
About the rock on the stick...

The indians were able to kill enormous buffalo with the dinky rock on the stick.

You were saying...
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#84192 Dec 9, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry but facts speak for themselves. The american indian lost almost every battle with the white man because he was not armed properly to defend himself. They didn't make guns or have money to buy guns. They didn't make powder or bullets and didn't have money to buy them. When they begain fighting the white man they had a stick with a rock on it. When they did aquire firearms and ammo the ammo was soon depleted making the gun useless. The american indian outnumbered the white man at over a thousand to one in the beginning so the FACT they could not defend themselves properly was the reason they were almost annihilated. History has shown over and over those who don't have the ability to defend themselves eventually are enslaved or slaughtered by the more powerful. Now do you want to show the american indian driving the severely out numbered white man off their land and back to europe with their better guns or do you want ketchup and salt with your statement?
Apparently you know little to nothing of Indian history. I doubt very much that Custer would agree with you on Indian's losing almost every battle to the white man. In fact, Indian's had several victories over the white man over the course of their fighting. Indian's were not just the "stick with a rock" wielding simpletons that you like to suggest. Indian's were quit deadly with the bow and arrow and became expert horsemen. An Indian riding bareback on a horse with a bow and arrow proved to be quit deadly. They were able to get off several arrows before the white man was even able to reload his gun. It is also a fact that thousands of the Indian's were not killed by the white man with guns but by white man disease introduced into their culture that they did not have the immune system to fight. You should try doing a little reading before spouting off on the history of a race you seem to know little about.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84193 Dec 9, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Im more interested in how you teach a dog to drive :-)
The people in NZ are working on that for you.:-)

I notice they have their dog seat belts on.:-)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/de...
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84194 Dec 9, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
What it does is makes you a hypocrite. You decry "ban all guns now", but then expect men and/or women with guns to come to your rescue when you need them.
Gee, that didn't make a lot of sense did it? Please reread what you wrote and I think you will agree with me.

I would call the police.. Never said THEY shouldn't carry weapons. YOU shouldn't arm yourself. The average citizen should NOT be allowed to carry weapons.

It's not rocket science.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84195 Dec 9, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you know little to nothing of Indian history. I doubt very much that Custer would agree with you on Indian's losing almost every battle to the white man. In fact, Indian's had several victories over the white man over the course of their fighting. Indian's were not just the "stick with a rock" wielding simpletons that you like to suggest. Indian's were quit deadly with the bow and arrow and became expert horsemen. An Indian riding bareback on a horse with a bow and arrow proved to be quit deadly. They were able to get off several arrows before the white man was even able to reload his gun. It is also a fact that thousands of the Indian's were not killed by the white man with guns but by white man disease introduced into their culture that they did not have the immune system to fight. You should try doing a little reading before spouting off on the history of a race you seem to know little about.
Holy Cow!

Miss X - must have read a few books last week. It's all true...I'm impressed.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84196 Dec 9, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
MAYBE SHE WAS GOING TO LOSE HER JOB AND BE OUT ON THE STREET.
Thats highly unlikely,,IF and its a big IF, she had been sacked or suspended then reinstatement would have been quick to follow due to public opinion,,the reports I have read about the woman suggest she was a very nice person but shy and private,,it would appear that the humiliation at being duped was to great for the poor woman. As I said in a previous post, this was a security cock up, allowed to happen by people on a far greater salary than a nurse.
All the blame lies with them.
I still think she could have lost her job.

That was a major mistake.

10:14AM ~ Wet and Gloomy/Again.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84197 Dec 9, 2012
Tinka wrote:
Under, beneath, or below critical or to critique?
Maybe some are worthy to carry a weapon?
Some things just are not that, black alone nor are they just white now are they, the use of weapons has it's reason...
Clowns shall not be outfitted with em'...
Clowns? That would be the people who are deathly afraid and own guns.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84198 Dec 9, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
It is my considered opinion, for what that might be worth, that the one with whom you discuss this matter, tends to arrogate to herself a distinction of which she is not in any way deserving.
To date, she's provided not an iota of evidence to support her contentions.
Your opinion is worthless.

lalala
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84199 Dec 9, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> So women don't commit crimes? No queen has ever slaughtered her own people (do your research before you answer)? Siegfried & Roy "re_educated lions and tigers but we know how that turned out. You can train an animal but you just can't remove it's nature. Most females in nature are subservient to the male and it is natures role that the male be dominant over the female. Males have made the vast majority of advances in human civilization so just were would the female be without us? I see you have a Hitler complex (get rid of those who don't conform to your way of thinking).
Males have made the vast majority of advances in human civilization so just where would the female be without us?

You are 100% correct.

Women would be in a cave making dinner.

Since: Feb 11

Ely, UK

#84200 Dec 9, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The people in NZ are working on that for you.:-)
I notice they have their dog seat belts on.:-)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/de...
I would'nt have believed it but for the film,,,thanks for the laugh,,still chuckling. I guess I will have to train myself a dog to drive for the odd trip to the pub.

Ely, UK

#84201 Dec 9, 2012
Guppy wrote:
About the rock on the stick...
The indians were able to kill enormous buffalo with the dinky rock on the stick.
You were saying...
I think I read somewhere that Bison,(thats what we call them) have a vunerable spot. I will check.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84202 Dec 9, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would'nt have believed it but for the film,,,thanks for the laugh,,still chuckling. I guess I will have to train myself a dog to drive for the odd trip to the pub.
Or better yet, drive you home from the pub. Question is, does he pick you up on the dry side or the wet side. I guess it depends on how much billiards (or dart games) you play on the dry side.:-)

Ely, UK

#84203 Dec 9, 2012
Well,,,I got that all wrong. Apparently tha native Americans chased them over cliffs,,the most famous of which is Vore buffalo jump Wyoming,,an estimated 20.000 animals killed here and used into the late 1800s. Or thats the info I found.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Australia, vote me as your supreme ruler. 5 hr The candidate 1
News Astronomer rules our solar causes of Cooma's my... 17 hr Master Renjii 1
Why are Pakistani men so gorgeous but Pakistani... (Nov '14) 19 hr Pebble1111 41
News This Orphaned Tree Kangaroo Was Raised by a Sur... Fri Grassclipper 2
I laugh when turdskins die in heatwaves Fri Grassclipper 4
News DLA Piper Expands Perth, Australia Office Fri happy times 1 1
News Suitcase hid missing safe Thu Graeme Russell 1
More from around the web