It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103330 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#78990 Oct 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Finland, Russia and now Denmark! you are a moderator troll or better know as a useless MT! You are a pathetic one because you must forget where you posted from last...LOL
Great counter.
Absolutely brilliant I say.
<rolls eyes>

Location hidden

#78991 Oct 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
An ounce of worry on my part won't change it any more that it will wake you gun twits up about the futility of guns, or stop thalidomite or breast implants...you just have to wait for people to die or suffer horribly and then things pretty much take their natural course ie people get outraged, get motivated, and get them banned or taken off the market, it is the way of things...It took them 50 years to ban some of those things I mentioned in the last post, so things move slowly but they do move, and that is just the way it is. People need time to build rage.
"People need time to build rage."

Really?
How much time?

Location hidden

#78992 Oct 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Your diversions work on those that haven't picked up that you are all over the shop, you are an MT and no doubt about it, and with access to more than one server from diffent locals, the evidence of that is all the proof I need....
In other words, you look out the window and do not see the Grand Tetons, therefore they do not exist, and that is all the proof that you need.
Got it.

Location hidden

#78993 Oct 7, 2012
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Be carfeful then, suicide is illegal in Australia.
I have always looked upon a law that makes suicide a crime, as a little stupid.

Location hidden

#78994 Oct 7, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am aware of the steel and oil embargo against Japan. I didn't think he was provoking a war with Japan. I know he was provoking one in Europe. Although FDR may have been provoking hostilities with Japan, I don't think anyone knew the attack would specifically occur in Hawaii. Transmissions would normally go through Hawaii to the Philippines and MacArthur in those days. I think they were expecting something in that area. The transmissions to the British would also be normal being the embargoes were in response to British interests in the area. You bring up a good point, the admiral and the general were kept out of the loop. That was possibly due to an attack on Hawaii was not feasible in those days.
I wrote down the the book titles and will check them out, thank you.
"That was possibly due to an attack on Hawaii was not feasible in those days."

WHAT ???

It not only WAS feasible, it WAS carried out.

Location hidden

#78995 Oct 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, my money is on gun control.
So is mine. I just bought a new scope.

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#78996 Oct 7, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always looked upon a law that makes suicide a crime, as a little stupid.
If someone knew they'd be charged with an offence if they failed, I guess that would make them more determined to succeed.
Seems our leaders thought similar as they removed that law from the Criminal Code some time ago.
truth

Perth, Australia

#78997 Oct 7, 2012
they charge jesus christ like every victim..for set up they know how..
i see someone..o yes..

your law is not my law..
my mother and my father
give me life
they not charge for nothing
now
which mother is better then my
to be free
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyy

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#78998 Oct 7, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"That was possibly due to an attack on Hawaii was not feasible in those days."
WHAT ???
It not only WAS feasible, it WAS carried out.
I should have said it was not [believed] to be feasible in those days. Certainly possible, but they didn't believe the Japanese could pull it off. With the racial stereotypes of the day, they didn't believe the Japanese could be very efficient at flying airplanes.

Mount Holly, NJ

#78999 Oct 7, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
A valid question: Precisely how to they punish suicide, in Australia?
Is there some kind of post suicide hanging, or some such?
Inquiring minds want to know!
The gun manufacturer would be complicit in a crime if a gun was used. Back door gun control. Sue them out of business.:-)

Mount Holly, NJ

#79000 Oct 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have thought any sighting of a submarine close to a military base would raise some concerns and put everyone in close proximity on full alert, Top marks to the Japanese though for keeping the Americans talking because it threw them off the scent,even if they had suspicions they believed that time was on their side as long as the Embassador kept communicating with them....their mistake, it was brilliant because not even the Embassador knew it was coming till the last minute, a brilliant ploy on all accounts.
It's about logic not hindsight...after America assisted the Taliban in Afghanistan to oppose Russia, then the bombing of the Cole it should have been the warning they needed that the natives weren't happy....but to presume that America itself wouldn't be a possible target was both naive and stupid.
We have the same situation occuring in the South China Sea...we are now a target because that is the next big push and we have based the yanks in Darwin, we have had drones spotted in and outgoing from a SA military base and they don't belong to us, so it has nothing to do with hindsight and everything to do with what position you play in the scheme of things, how involved you are and who is aiding who's enemies.
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Iran keeps us talking.

The US did make a serious error in Afghanistan. We just left without any follow up allowing the Taliban to seize power. I really don't understand why we became in involved in the first place other than a payback for Vietnam or a cold war mentality.
truth

Perth, Australia

#79001 Oct 7, 2012
i am walking where ever liked..in reality i don't liked..but tommorow i m going see another gun..not look as gun but more powerful then any gun..
after rail club as libra top..time i need calculate my numbers..scribe and phareesse by with your corupt diploma.

Mount Holly, NJ

#79002 Oct 7, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
I do tend to believe that particular conspiracy theory.
I have not seen any credible evidence, but liberals have never had a problem sacrificing the "peasants" for a greater cause.
Check out his liberal buffalo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =kQ_7GtE529MXX
I have seen the evidence that FDR tried to use the gunboat Panay as an excuse, but the Japs apologized their way out of that one.
I find it interesting that the CVA's were out on "whatever" when the battlewagons got blasted.
And the commanders in Hawaii were told to worry about sabotage, not an attack. So the planes were kept bunched up, instead of dispersed.
And we knew it could happen. A previous Navy exercise showed that same exact attack.
The main good thing from Pearl was it shut up all the nay sayers.
That fight we needed to get into.
And a lot of people do believe the ends justifies the means.
Too bad we have dumbshits like aho that have no frinkin idea what the end of guns means.
That's true! Billy Mitchel was court marshaled for for going against the thinking of the high brass. He even predicted it would be the Japanese.
truth

Perth, Australia

#79003 Oct 7, 2012
http://www.google.com.au/search...

i need conected my saymbols with my mind as speed of light..
Are you for sure they did not know how?

i am so simple ..i always say necu=no

jesus christ words is perfect
reserve yes and no
now
i listen always..its naiv always be good..
you not remember
jesus wa;lking beetween siners..
he talk in his time with everyone..he not run away from anyone..now
Are you for sure
drug trafikers don't liked money..no no no why should be

arms traficking..no no no why should be

prostituted traficing..no no no why should be
childrens womans traficking why should be
workers exploatation why should be no no
unreported economy..no no no why should be
fix excange why should be

goods and service why should be
and so on

all this type never seen any gun-fun..never do anything wrong..
Please tell me if not.. why not?
truth

Perth, Australia

#79004 Oct 7, 2012
all this not-holy as they call themself holy
set up law as they want as they wish..Are you for sure
i am kuku..no no no..why should be your law my law.

speed of light is gun too..

divine plain
who how when where for what???

ajde dobri boze nadi ove compjuterine i prikljucke
http://techgage.com/article/highpoint_rocketr...

nano technology

what have with venus mars saturn sun

sad me radi u bubrezima ahhhhhhhhh..kao kad sklapas saku i pustas every nerve..
i fill peace..but force my mind back..i can't think back any more
i don't wanted destroy myself..they are already implemented for what???
in this city nothing exist
devastating city..dead body nobody exist any more nothing alive..who do that..i don't wanted force my mind..

Are you for sure i am stupid or not?
Brisbane Brucie

Brisbane, Australia

#79005 Oct 7, 2012
How I love to tuck my ankles behind my ears as one of you strong gun owners fills my man hole with your white gravy.
All of us gun control advocates hate guns but realise that you guys are in control of your guns and know how to fill our needs.
If we could not recognise our need to get filled regularly we would have no use for the lot of you.

Location hidden

#79006 Oct 7, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have said it was not [believed] to be feasible in those days. Certainly possible, but they didn't believe the Japanese could pull it off. With the racial stereotypes of the day, they didn't believe the Japanese could be very efficient at flying airplanes.
It seems that attitude is still prevalent. That is to say, the attitude toward other cultures being incapable of achieving what we think we can.
Perhaps the US government and it's agents could learn a thing or two from aboriginal peoples when it comes to properly evaluating your enemies before engaging them.
Arrogance, pride, and underestimating one's opponent, are the core reasons that more folks fail in any endeavor, than any other reason.

Location hidden

#79007 Oct 7, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun manufacturer would be complicit in a crime if a gun was used. Back door gun control. Sue them out of business.:-)
I suspect that argument is losing ground lately, as one can not predict what another will do with a tool, no matter who made it, or for what reason(s) they made it. Anyone who thinks that a toolmaker, who had nothing whatsoever to do with another's actions, is liable for what the other person did with a tool after it left the maker's hand, is a fool, or has an agenda that is negative for the citizenry.
truth

Perth, Australia

#79008 Oct 7, 2012
i am not care for your bubbling
i am sure..Why i have to think like you?
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo

genetic..oh..can be even body..mind..oh mind

i told you before
an en in on un
at it

did you study human brain..perhaps can be computers too..who told you on normal way can't be discover..its ok you can think what ever you liked.
me..more weaker more stronger..i am believer
Who are you?..power ha ha ha poor goliath.

Mount Holly, NJ

#79009 Oct 7, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that argument is losing ground lately, as one can not predict what another will do with a tool, no matter who made it, or for what reason(s) they made it. Anyone who thinks that a toolmaker, who had nothing whatsoever to do with another's actions, is liable for what the other person did with a tool after it left the maker's hand, is a fool, or has an agenda that is negative for the citizenry.
Gun manufacturers have been found liable in the past for crimes committed by possessors or owners. I don't know how the appeals went. You really have to watch these people. They'll do it back door. Get the public to see guns as evil and you stack the jury.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/feb/12/news/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why should Australians fear from Muslims? (Dec '07) 12 hr Fk muslims 46,782
So your looking for an indian slave? (Dec '14) 15 hr Proud slave owner 3
Where the Best WE3d/hash and meds Found in Aust... 16 hr Jack H 5
News What You Need to Know About the Group Behind th... 17 hr Tony Abbott loves... 5
Indian men are...... 21 hr Supporter of Helen 7
Why do Indian men smell so bad? (Nov '13) Sun Poltinteyer 99
News Aussies to struggle to pay mortgages Sun St_Nick 8
More from around the web