It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Tray

Saltillo, MS

#77237 Sep 21, 2012
Light Bearer wrote:
Guns and ciggarettes. The only mass consumer products that if used as designed they will kill.
Only? What about the bow and arrow, the sword, other weapons created by man? Of course the most powerful weapon on Earth is the human brain. Remove one weapon and they just produce another more powerful one.

Since: Feb 11

Ely, UK

#77238 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't sell yourself short, blood on your hands is blood on your hands still.
We should not consider the evil actions,or behaviour of previous generations our fault. Nor are we responsible for a neighbours actions. We should however heed the deeds of the past, and attempt to avoid similar situations,,,however,we are talking about human nature here, and we all know how bad that can be.
Light Bearer

Thailand

#77239 Sep 21, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Only? What about the bow and arrow, the sword, other weapons created by man? Of course the most powerful weapon on Earth is the human brain. Remove one weapon and they just produce another more powerful one.
Funny that the USA has 4-10x the murders of other advanced nations.
Funny how there are 4-10x more gun murders.
Not many other types of murder weapons used though.
It is the guns stupid.

“Show no Quarter !”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#77240 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
One more time for the fucking peanut gallery then, OK!
Guns were invented with the sole purpose of death, they weren't designed to prop up your coffee table or be used in a retainer wall or cut up a salad...they were invented to KILL.
If you do not believe that, load one and hold it to your head then pull the trigger, and let others see what the result will be,( this is not meant to be taken litterally) you will not know or see the outcome because you would be dead,(if you failed to read the disclaimer)....do you get that you moronic moron!:) LOL.
Ever think of going into politics ? You outshine any jailhouse lawyer..Heck!!, you probably could have defended Bin Laden and got him off. My question is .. granting your extreamly deep conviction against firearms ....and your opinion of all here who disagree with you thinking them to be inbred , moronic,stupid Neanderthals all below your far superior intellectual mind.....>>then why do you bother ? And what do you think your acomplishing ? I'm not arguing mind you , just questioning!

Ely, UK

#77241 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Just giving as good as I get, being that I am outnumbered about five to one....just a walk in the park for me!
Five to one,,,sounds like a majority vote to me,,,shall I show you the way, or can you follow the exit signs.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#77242 Sep 21, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe that's a sign that maybe your the problem not everyone else.
Or the fact that the heading is it's not the guns stupid might bring out all the gun loving phycho's on the planet?

Perth, Australia

#77243 Sep 21, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Proof he believed wrong. That bus he didn't believe in still hit him. He was just a man with a misguided idea like Hitler. He had no special powers or was tuned in to the cosmic intelligence, just a man. We all have dreams of what the world could be but reality is what it is. A great man once said "The world would be a perfect place if only the world would listen to me" "or at least for me it would be perfect" :me.
You are no different to the rest of the gun lovers where you blame the non violent person with the ideals( trying to make this a better world for all of us,who paid the highest price for his beliefs) and not the gun toting idiot who shot him three times. Way to go there you noong!

Perth, Australia

#77244 Sep 21, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Flaw in your argument, people have been killing people for thousands of years before guns. To assume just the removal of guns could some how change the violent nature of humans with so much proof it won't is just insane. A refection on the person with that belief. You are insane.
Oh you people are so stupid, yes people have been killing each other for thousands of years and will probably continue to do so, though that was not the point, sigh! The point you numbskull, was guns were specifically invented to kill people! Did you get that this time, or do you need me to shout it for you!

Perth, Australia

#77245 Sep 21, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
With Ghandi's nature and way of conducting himself, it is unlikely that an armed body guard would have made much difference in the end.
You talk of the assasinations of predominant people being carried out by idiots with guns, the term idiot,is unsuitable. For the most part political or religious views are the fire that drives.
For instance,, do you consider those that attemted to assasinate Hitler, IDIOTS.
I disagree, Ghandi knew of the death threats but his message was to be conveyed to the letter no one should commit an act of violence against anyone and he died believing this and would have forgiven the gun toting idiot that killed him.....

And most definately yes I consider those who tried to kill Hitler idiots...what happened to them, do you know?

Perth, Australia

#77246 Sep 21, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
We should not consider the evil actions,or behaviour of previous generations our fault. Nor are we responsible for a neighbours actions. We should however heed the deeds of the past, and attempt to avoid similar situations,,,however,we are talking about human nature here, and we all know how bad that can be.
No but neither should you forget those evil actions.
No but it helps to try your best to get along with your neighbour and often that calls for you and them to find common ground for your beefs
Of course though as you said human nature is what it is, and it takes a mighty person to keep their mouth shut when they want to complain about the neighbours barking dog or noisy kids, but there are many that try to do this to keep things from getting violent, so there are a lot of people out there trying to be the example and god knows when so many find it all too easy to overeact to a situation where it often ends in death over the simplest of things, it is nice to know there are those that are doing their darndest to show the best of human nature is still possible....

Perth, Australia

#77247 Sep 21, 2012
french louie wrote:
<quoted text>Ever think of going into politics ? You outshine any jailhouse lawyer..Heck!!, you probably could have defended Bin Laden and got him off. My question is .. granting your extreamly deep conviction against firearms ....and your opinion of all here who disagree with you thinking them to be inbred , moronic,stupid Neanderthals all below your far superior intellectual mind.....>>then why do you bother ? And what do you think your acomplishing ? I'm not arguing mind you , just questioning!
Well I just can't abide stupidity and I think if I can show an opposing point of view it might cause them to think a little harder instead of having it all their own way, where they will learn nothing. It would be a great pity to believe that you are totally un opposed in this world regardles of your viewpoint on anything....and I resort to calling them idiots because simply put, they are, but I am open to an opposing point of view, in fact I would relish the debate, god knows it has been limited to this point.

Perth, Australia

#77248 Sep 21, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Five to one,,,sounds like a majority vote to me,,,shall I show you the way, or can you follow the exit signs.
No thanks arachnid I rather like it here, but I will see you out if you are having trouble meeting the challenge. There are now six possibly seven which is the ammount of gun loving morons on this site who wanted a gun supporting love fest and got more than they bargained for. LOL
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#77249 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, Ghandi knew of the death threats but his message was to be conveyed to the letter no one should commit an act of violence against anyone and he died believing this and would have forgiven the gun toting idiot that killed him.....
And most definately yes I consider those who tried to kill Hitler idiots...what happened to them, do you know?
No violence. Nice idea but that bus nailed him anyway didn't it. Not a very good game plan on his part.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#77250 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you people are so stupid, yes people have been killing each other for thousands of years and will probably continue to do so, though that was not the point, sigh! The point you numbskull, was guns were specifically invented to kill people! Did you get that this time, or do you need me to shout it for you!
So were the thousands of other weapons created by man. Your belief of ending just one could somehow change human nature. Your blaming an inanimate object is just insane. You don't get it. It's not the guns but the human animal. We kill, always have, always will. You can't make a pet of a wild predator. Who do you think invented the gun? Don't you think we have the intelligence to create other weapons more powerful and more effective? Conflict and combat is just human nature as proof I submit you. You have argued, fought, made personally degrading remarks to people you don't even know just for the sake of verbal combat. You have no hope of changing anyones mind or even attempting to use a method that might work. Ranting and cursing instead of trying to win over your opponent with diplomacy and tact and pure logic. You are the prime example of irrational, illogical, anger driven, primal urges in all of us.

Perth, Australia

#77251 Sep 21, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> No violence. Nice idea but that bus nailed him anyway didn't it. Not a very good game plan on his part.
Everyone is going to die, it is how you face the challenges of life and deal with them that depicts whether your life had worth...getting hit by a bus is an accident as is a rock fall or car accident... buying a gun with the intent to kill or maim another is murder!
Dr Freud

UK

#77252 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns are bad in the hands of idiots and if the gun owners on this site are an example of the gun owners in the burbs then they have proven that very fact more expertly than I could.
I have clearly on many occassions( which you dumb arses fail to comprehend) stated my unbiased point of view but you morons go on the defensive because you can't justify your reasons each time another masacre occurs or another murder or accident as the result of a gun or guns (and I actually thought that you, at least understood that,) my bad, I should have stuck with what has been proven time after time on this site that you are all moronic tits.
"I have clearly on many occassions( which you dumb arses fail to comprehend) stated my unbiased point of view ..."
"Unbiased point of view ..." That has got to be THE CRASSEST OVERSTATEMENT of the millennium!
Virtually EVERY last one of your posts is so biased such, that they qualify to be the epitome of the worst sort of hype.

Ely, UK

#77253 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
AND MOST DEFINATELY YES I CONSIDER THOSE WHO TRIED TO KILL HITLER IDIOTS.

Would you care to add to that statement?, or amend it?,,, or am I conversing with a NAZI,, I had wondered about your interest in the Jewish population in Tottenham. I dont have to wonder anymore, and I fully understand your desire to disarm everone.

Perth, Australia

#77254 Sep 21, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> So were the thousands of other weapons created by man. Your belief of ending just one could somehow change human nature. Your blaming an inanimate object is just insane. You don't get it. It's not the guns but the human animal. We kill, always have, always will. You can't make a pet of a wild predator. Who do you think invented the gun? Don't you think we have the intelligence to create other weapons more powerful and more effective? Conflict and combat is just human nature as proof I submit you. You have argued, fought, made personally degrading remarks to people you don't even know just for the sake of verbal combat. You have no hope of changing anyones mind or even attempting to use a method that might work. Ranting and cursing instead of trying to win over your opponent with diplomacy and tact and pure logic. You are the prime example of irrational, illogical, anger driven, primal urges in all of us.
I am offended that you have not attacked the other posters for making sexist lude crude and foul remarks to me and other posters...this goes to prove your bias and that you are a hypocritical wanker, because you can support anothers point of view without letting them get away with something that you now seem to find insulting!.....

What other weapons are you talking about, because I entered a site about guns, so if the heading has changed you better inform everyone else?

In order to change something you must start with one thing, and guns is the good place to start, especially after the cinema murders and the school masacre's, don't you think so!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#77255 Sep 21, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let us see here: Rocks are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw rocks? No.
Sticks are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
Various hand tools are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
Various eating utensils are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
Various articles of clothing are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
Automobiles are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
Household chemicals are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
Fists and feet are used to hurt, even kill. But have you sought to outlaw those? No.
The list is endless, yet you do NOT A THING to outlaw any of those in the very same way you inveigh against guns.
That informs me of a most important distinction regarding yourself: You suffer from the unhealthy obsession with an object. But that's the other dimension which I've addressed priorly: You obsess, yet you project your revilement upon everyone else with whom you disagree on the matter.
The correct word to describe the clueless Aussie would be "hoplophobe".

Ely, UK

#77256 Sep 21, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you read,,,do you comprehend,,YOU disagree with me, and then say the same thing in a different manner.
Read my post again, then read your reply.

As for your end comment,,I replied to that first as that grabbed my attention the most.

You were disliked here previously,you will now likely recieve the utmost in terms of venomous hatred.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Postcard Swimwear: Design the swimsuit of your ... 8 hr Diamonte 10
News Confusion as Tyler the Creator claims he's bann... 10 hr Darryl 1
Poll Aussie voted most racist people against aborigi... 10 hr goodesafl 0
Watching turdskins getting beaten with sticks i... 10 hr Indians are worth... 1
Starving Africans are hilarious (Apr '14) 16 hr Grassclipper 57
African savage murders baby in Newcastle 16 hr Grassclipper 3
Poll Why White Women loves Indian Men? (Oct '11) 16 hr Kateffcee11 16,517
More from around the web